• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrocious

Are small round shields better for parrying? I can't seem to parry very well with those 100 guarding shields they are somehow slow.. I kinda remember in DS 1 small shields have more frames for parrying.

I assume so. I've just been sporting the starting knight shield and the shield that allows you to use weapon arts. I've one shotted every boss I've run across so far, but I'm not the kind of player who turtles. I mainly play Dex chars who two-hand or dual wield.

I'd be playing Dex in DS3 if it didn't feel so horrible in the beginning.

pic of bread and butter (early optional boss spoilers)
zsT2ynb.jpg

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Huh... So I just had the game randomly download to my Xbox. I already bought it on PS4. No purchase is showing up on any of my bank accounts or on my Microsoft account. Not entirely sure how that happened. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

MUnited83

For you.
Are small round shields better for parrying? I can't seem to parry very well with those 100 guarding shields they are somehow slow.. I kinda remember in DS 1 small shields have more frames for parrying.
Yeah, small shiels are definitely better. I was parrying every enemy I could early game with one of them. Switched to the grass crest shield (for the stamina regen bonus) and the timing is a whole lot less forgiving.

AmyS

I heard this song tonight, listened to the lyrics, it made me think of Dark Souls.

Cause and Effect - Farewell to Arms

DS3art.jpg

You cross the walls
Cunning steps to safety
Thoughts break your fall
But have you looked around you lately
Do not speak too soon
Now the sun's the moon
And you don't know where you are
Do not fight for them
For today's the end
And you still don't know where you are
Farewell to arms
Nothing can go on forever

Farewell to arms
Life is not a never ending treasure
Across the land
Catherine dear is calling
And in your hand
The sand from your clutch is falling
Do not speak too late
Now the son's your fate
And you don't know who you are
Do not fight with it
Keep the candle lit
Until you know who you are

daninthemix

This has been my experience as well. It's too bad, because I wanted to do my first DS3 playthrough as a sword and board character for a change of pace since I usually do dexterity or magic, but I pretty quickly ended up just falling back into two-handing my weapon and dodging everything. I didn't try any of the greatshields, though, and maybe they're better. Still hard to imagine that losing chunks of stamina and possibly being guard broken is more effective than dodging into good position while taking no damage and possibly being able to backstab.

Yeah, it's a shame because it basically amounts to less choice, and therefore less replayability.

I have to say, now that there's so many big enemies where it's ideal to kick and then visceral attack, the game would be about 200% easier if the kick was a simple button press, rather than a hopeful forward+attack, gee-I-hope-this-works crapshoot. (I think this maybe only an issue on PC, at 60fps? Tighter timings?)

Last night was productive! (End Game Spoilers) Beat A
ldritch, Dancer, Dragonslayer Armor, and the Princes. Tried the Soul of Cinder, but ran out of estus halfway through phase 2.

I might try doing the O
ceiros fight instead. Would it be worth it, or should I just try to beat the Soul of Cinder first?

Afrocious

To be frank, if you're holding a shield up expecting to completely block a flurry of attacks, you're kind of asking for your guard to be broken anyway.

Then again, I haven't gone sword and board in a while so I might be playing it differently.

What did you DEX folks start with? I went Assassin but it was ass. Also when I found I couldn't dual wield unless I found certain weapons made for them, I made a new character altogether.

Ferr986

I didn't mind the swamp area at all but now that I'm at the
catacombs
I cbf.

My least favourite Souls area, always so dark and depressing. Please tell me it's short.

Its def shorter than the previous areas, altough theres some alternate pahs to explore.

Dimmle

Farron
's Greatsword is the greatest weapon in Souls history. That double-handed R1, I feel like I'm in the fucking X-Games.

daninthemix

To be frank, if you're holding a shield up expecting to completely block a flurry of attacks, you're kind of asking for your guard to be broken anyway.

That's the thing though - in this the only type of enemy attack seems to be a crazed flurry, whereas the first game had more variety. Sometimes, say, a hollow would break into a flurry that was hard to block, but there were slower hits too.

goblin

ldritch, Dancer, Dragonslayer Armor, and the Princes. Tried the Soul of Cinder, but ran out of estus halfway through phase 2.

I might try doing the O
ceiros fight instead. Would it be worth it, or should I just try to beat the Soul of Cinder first?

Technically Soul of Cinder is the last boss. It doesn't matter too much since you get the option to delay going into NG+ after beating him and can go back to clean up what you've missed.

However!
Minor ending spoilers:
Beating Oceiros is indirectly required to get one of the endings.
Explicit area/ending spoilers:
There's an item in the Untended Graves, after Consumed King's Garden, which can be given to the Firekeeper to unlock another ending and its alternate.

Afrocious

That's the thing though - in this the only type of enemy attack seems to be a crazed flurry, whereas the first game had more variety. Sometimes, say, a hollow would break into a flurry that was hard to block, but there were slower hits too.

Yeah that's something I've noticed too. Most enemies are a lot more aggressive now than enemies of the previous game due to that.

I personally don't mind it, but dodging definitely is superior to blocking in this game IMO. I just wish dex felt better for me in DS3.

dawid

Early game loot question:
I've jumped up the roof at the firelink shrine and gotten the estus shard where the birdsnest is. Is there a reason for me to buy the key for 20k souls to unlock the door on the roof to get up the "real" way? I also got the soul exp ring when i was up there. Is the birds nest worth it?

Afrocious

I've jumped up the roof at the firelink shrine and gotten the estus shard where the birdsnest is. Is there a reason for me to buy the key for 20k souls to unlock the door on the roof to get up the "real" way? I also got the soul exp ring when i was up there. Is the birds nest worth it?

Did you get the
Fire Keeper's Soul?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Unsure which weapons I should go for now...

I'm full str, any tips?

MUnited83

For you.

well, you need the key to actually get to the nest part, and you also unlock other small area with important items/loot

Anyone know why sometimes you just randomly receive my Estus Flasks back in your inventory? Is it after defeating certain enemies, or when your notes are rated well?

This has to be the worst character creator they've ever made. I've never not been able to make a chacter I think is cool before.
Guess this is the entry I wear a helmet.

jaekeem

I might try doing the O

yes it's worth it

bcuz of how the game flows beginning -> end

Puppen

Banned
I'm partial to the big fucking axe. I don't see a lot of those. You have to be closer to the enemy than you think.

I'm going in on the wolf greatsword, +3 so far and im at level 65. it's kind of slow, want something a bit faster that also scales well with str

goblin

What did you DEX folks start with? I went Assassin but it was ass. Also when I found I couldn't dual wield unless I found certain weapons made for them, I made a new character altogether.

Best early option is probably from killing the sword master right outside Firelink and then two-handing. You can also get a rapier from High Wall.

I'm a bit torn on dual wielding. On one hand it's easier in a fight to use off-hand items and just hit a button to go into or out of dual wielding mode instead of having to switch to your second weapon and then hold to powerstance. On the other hand I can't dual wield ultra greatswords or great hammers anymore and that was my favorite DS2 PvP build. Gotta keep hope alive for DLC weapons I guess.

I dunno what you guys are talking about with the sword and shield style, that's all I've been doing and it has been dandy for me. You have to mix in a bunch of rolling but I can't imagine anyone would be expecting to stand around and take the flurries you get from some of the enemies in this game.

My shield takes the brunt of the attacks, though, I suck at chaining multiple dodges together. Way easier to just suck a few blows, roll outta the last swipe and stab stab stab.

MUnited83

For you.

Then again, I haven't gone sword and board in a while so I might be playing it differently.

i rolled assassin. The main weapon was mode than fine. I then switched for a scimitar for a little bit, then killed the katana guy and have been using the katana ever since.

Grassy

Are you guys using 'Cross-region matchmaking' on or off? I have it on and I've been having some issues with summoning on PC. If I summon someone, all the other summon signs disappear which means I can only ever summon one person. Not a huge deal, but it's there.
I've also had a fair few occasions where I've been summoned into a host's world but I can't enter the fog door for the boss.

I might try switching it off and seeing if that helps.

Corpekata

Banned
Are you guys using 'Cross-region matchmaking' on or off? I have it on and I've been having some issues with summoning on PC. If I summon someone, all the other summon signs disappear which means I can only ever summon one person. Not a huge deal, but it's there.
I've also had a fair few occasions where I've been summoned into a host's world but I can't enter the fog door for the boss.

I might try switching it off and seeing if that helps.

Pretty sure that's by design (the 1 summon thing, not the fog). Some bosses seem to only allow 1 summon. It'll even happen on some that have 2 NPC summons but only allow 1.

GorillaJu

Man I thought that NG+ folks were just not playing the game because I never see summon signs but it appears that it's just they're starving for helpers. I get summoned INSTANTLY, literally 2-3 seconds after I put my summon sign down in front of a boss door. Every time lol

Man I thought that NG+ folks were just not playing the game because I never see summon signs but it appears that it's just they're starving for helpers. I get summoned INSTANTLY, literally 2-3 seconds after I put my summon sign down in front of a boss door. Every time lol
It's the same with NG, ime. Instantaneous summoning every time basically.

Ha. I did not know about this. Thanks for the info. Youtubed it and got the
Extra Estus Shard. woot.

Jyrii

Banned
I was just able to beat A
byss Watchers

Pretty nice boss battle. It took me around 4 tries.
I really liked the idea that one of the Watchers helped against the other two. Is there a lore explanation for it?

Here was my battle. I ran out of Estus flasks in the end and would have died at the next hit so the end was pretty hectic. I did ton of mistakes in that battle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9MiZyWCkpY

Edit. That backstab was totally unintentional lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I haven't really watched ENB play through the previous games (just watched the lore videos), but since he's going blind in this one, I decided to do so. I really love the run so far. He takes moments to muse about the lore, something I don't usually do while playing. It's a great watch, and I'm really looking forward to the next ep in particular.

Something he said early on made me think though (late game spoilers):
when you give the giant's coal to Andre, he says he misses the old guy, confirming that he really is Andre from DkS. But was he just undead all this time, how did he survive? He's the only character that comes straight out of Dark Souls 1 (that I can remember). ENB said this would feel like cheap fan service if they didn't give it a good reason, and so far I haven't found one.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm going in on the wolf greatsword, +3 so far and im at level 65. it's kind of slow, want something a bit faster that also scales well with str

You want something faster than that as a greatsword? I dunno, maybe the claymore might have a faster swing? That looks like one of the lightest greatswords out there. Maybe bump it down a lower level type sword or switch the type of weapons entirely.

I haven't really watched ENB play through the previous games (just watched the lore videos), but since he's going blind in this one, I decided to do so. I really love the run so far. He takes moments to muse about the lore, something I don't usually do while playing. It's a great watch, and I'm really looking forward to the next ep in particular.

Sucks that his hard drive puked and he had to replay parts for the series. You can hear how annoyed he is in the videos.

Rizzi

You want something faster than that as a greatsword? I dunno, maybe the claymore might have a faster swing? That looks like one of the lightest greatswords out there. Maybe bump it down a notch then.

I think the bastard sword scales better than the claymore.

what-ok

Not completely understanding infusions. Would a fire uchi do more damage than a sharp? I see the numbers but feel dumb that I'm not sure how to interpret them.

Ken

Do I need a special shield to parry or something? Please tell me it doesn't use the meter

Because of weapon arts, your left-trigger changes depending if you are or aren't holding a shield, and what the shield's left-trigger is which isn't always parry now. Most Kite-shields will have parry or spell parry. Some let you use your right hand weapon-arts with shield equipped. Greatshields have shield bash now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom