• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferr986

Not completely understanding infusions. Would a fire uchi do more damage than a sharp? I see the numbers but feel dumb that I'm not sure how to interpret them.

Depend on your stats. Sharp will be better if you keep leveling DEX. If you're gonna leave DEX at base stat, it would be better to make it Fire or Raw.

MicSte79

Neo Member
I have been using Astoria Straight Sword for most of my play through thus far but some GAF members have told me that Dark Sword is better. I have just found one yet apparently my Astora has better physical attack power.

How is this? I haven't spent time upgrading any weapons yet btw.

Is Dark Sword better for upgrading or something?

Few questions for NPC's in the shrine:

Wonder NPC:

I gave her two books already and she still tells me she was once a nun. Is this bugged or am I missing something ?

The depressed guy:
Where is he ? Scratch that. Will he come back as I progress through the game?

Jintor

I'm down in the black and blue

Boreal Valley is giving me the shits, any general tips? Pretty much everyone who isn't a zombie with a sword is giving me trouble. Not necessarily any specific enemy, just lots of really irritating multi-hit attack patterns going off at all times...

Ferr986

That is what I was thinking but not sure. My Dex is at 32. Maybe I go sharp then?

If you plan to keep leveling DEX yeah, I assume it's the best choice yep, provided Sharp stones further increase already DEX rating in DEX scaling weapons (I think it does but not 100% sure yet).

cyba89

Mid/Late-game area spoiler
That path after Pontiff Sullivan when you slowly come to the realization where you are and then that reveal. Really well done.

Few questions for NPC's in the shrine:

Wonder NPC:

I gave her two books already and she still tells me she was once a nun. Is this bugged or am I missing something ?

The depressed guy:
Where is he ? Scratch that. Will he come back as I progress through the game?

She sell you new miracles. About the depressed guy.
assuming you mean Hawkwood the deserter. He leaves after you kill the abyss watchers but does come back. You will see his sign at Archdragon peak near the 3rd bonfire. Summon him so he will go to the shrine and pray. When you get the Twinkling Dragon Torso stone, talk to Andre and Hawkwood will challenge you to a duel.

Boreal Valley is giving me the shits, any general tips? Pretty much everyone who isn't a zombie with a sword is giving me trouble. Not necessarily any specific enemy, just lots of really irritating multi-hit attack patterns going off at all times...

Keep backing up, stay calm, put that boiling rage down to a simmer. Always take out the dogs first, they will get you.

She sell you new miracles. About the depressed guy.
assuming you mean Hawkwood the deserter. He leaves after you kill the abyss watchers but does come back. You will see his sign at Archdragon peak near the 3rd bonfire. Summon him so he will go to the shrine and pray. When you get the Twinkling Dragon Torso stone, talk to Andre and Hawkwood will challenge you to a duel.

I really need to summon NPCs from now on. Haven't done it. Feels like cheating.

Fuck!
Irthyll Dungeon
is so hostile and dense. What a hellish place. Those
guards
are crazy...Fighting against more than one almost always leads to my death.

Shredderi

Why the fuck does Aldrich's second phase arrows continue for so fucking long? It literally outpaces my entire stamina bar if I run away from it in a straight line? I almos had him with like 1/100 hp on him and I just died for an unknown reason

MicSte79

Neo Member
I have been using Astoria Straight Sword for most of my play through thus far but some GAF members have told me that Dark Sword is better. I have just found one yet apparently my Astora has better physical attack power.

How is this? I haven't spent time upgrading any weapons yet btw.

Is Dark Sword better for upgrading or something?
Could any of you sword experts please advise? :)

pa22word

Why the fuck does Aldrich's second phase arrows continue for so fucking long? It literally outpaces my entire stamina bar if I run away from it in a straight line? I almos had him with like 1/100 hp on him and I just died for an unknown reason

Don't run straight, swing the camera behind you to watch him(!) then zig zag through the room around the cylinders.

Watching him is very important because what probably got you was he threw a few missiles at you while you were running at the tail end of the arrow attack.

Anyone know why sometimes you just randomly receive my Estus Flasks back in your inventory? Is it after defeating certain enemies, or when your notes are rated well?

I was wondering this as well... thought I was going crazy!

Whoops, "my" shouldn't have been in my post, but yeah, I've checked other forums and even here and no one seems to have a clue.

My best guess, is it has to be defeating certain "tough" enemies within a level, and you usually get one when you vanquish an invader as well.

If anyone knows more, please let us know

Sephend

I'm so freaking aggravated right now. I haven't had a single successful invasion of killing the host. I either run into a squad of 3 people at once, or run into someone wearing weapons and armor I haven't even seen (two dual wielded magic swords?) when I'm still using the basic long sword. This is in high wall and undead settlement, and I'm level 24 with only a +1 weapon. I was planing on doing an invasion for fun since I don't really ever do that aspect of these games, but I didn't want expect to lose over and over for literally two hours straight.

I do have a question. Twice during this I was hit with a small shield while not attacking, but I was put into the party state. Is that an art on a shield?

Shredderi

Don't run straight, swing the camera behind you to watch him(!) then zig zag through the room around the cylinders.

Watching him is very important because what probably got you was he threw a few missiles at you while you were running at the tail end of the arrow attack.

Got a really good RNG and got him but now...
How do I get my fucking souls back after a surprise second boss? Fucking hell I just wanna level up my shit.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Could any of you sword experts please advise? :)

If your going hard on strength dark sword when fused heavy gets an A rank and goes to level 10 and can be inbued with pine resin etc etc it also has the greatsword ability

Pretty sure the extra estus comes from when someone defeats a boss of an area thats what happen in other souls games

Ferr986

So, a boss just grabbed the host, me (sunbro) and another coop helper with the same grab attack and killed us.

Grabs being broken again it seems. I wonder when FROM still stop being stubborn with this kind of attacks. They just don't work so no point on add them.

If you really want the all achivements and rings/weapons/shields/spells, I fully recommend engaging in the PvP/Co-op aspect of the game in the first days as in likely the easiest time to get them.

Farming them will be a pain in the ass in PvE.

pa22word

Keep attacking. Seriously, just keep pressing R1. This game's standard enemies--not the fluff guys they put in as filler to make you remember you're playing a game--all have anti-tank routines built in to punish you for sitting behind your shield. If they aren't attacking and you're circle strafing then they will unleash a long chain of attacks specifically designed to run down your stamina gauge, break your guard, and get you moving. You can take advantage of this by instead of waiting on them to attack and reacting, you must start creating your own openings. This will almost always work out better for you in the long run because even if you whiff or catch a shield enemies counter strings are usually just a single strike that you can easily roll by. Also, use your kick on shielded enemies. Shit is free (if you whiff and just hit them shield down they often just wince), and the riposte off it is way more potent than that backstab you're fishing for by circle-strafing.

Caim

Just started I
rithyll Dungeon
and whatever caused that
shriek scared the shit out of me and it's almost 6 am over here I probably woke someone up lmao

myco666

The PvE drop rates are terrible. And I have 40 luck, using coins and a mimic head.

I wouldn't mind as much but isn't there like 3 covenants you need to do this for? So stupid.

If you really want the all achivements and rings/weapons/shields/spells, I fully recommend engaging in the PvP/Co-op aspect of the game in the first days as in likely the easiest time to get them.

Farming them will be a pain in the ass in PvE.

Co-op sure. PVP? Rather spend hours/days farming than engage that aspect of the game.

Shredderi

Is it just me or does the NPCs have super low amount of dialogue?
Played for well over 30 hours now and the shrine maiden has never said anything different.

Ferr986

I'll probably won't bother with the plat. I don't really have it from either Dark too, even though i have like 300 hours on each. Too grindy for me.

I have BB's plat because it wasn't as grindy.

Shredderi

Warp to the Vordt bonfire, make a 180, and and head up the stairs.

Right. These boss fights just gets me so furious that I lose the ability to actually think. Should've pumped like 40 into vigor or something because all bosses at the minimum two shots me. The first strike gets me down to 40-30%hp. Universally speaking. Every boss hits super hard in this.

silva1991

Anyone discovered the duplicate glitch yet?

Co-op sure. PVP? Rather spend hours/days farming than engage that aspect of the game.

I wouldn't mind PvP for item farming if it was 1vs1 most of the time, but all those childish gamkers are making me don't give a crap.

Someone asked this who knows how many pages back and I don't know if it's been answered:

Camera rotation during backstabs...I thought it was weird you couldn't pat yourself on the back with this anymore either, turns out you can! It's the lock-on that causes the camera tonot rotate so just unlock and voila.

Dak'kon

Anyone else going with a pure INT build? I’ve always gone with sorcery the first time through Souls games because they’ve handled magic really well but with this game it feels like such an absolute slog that it’s really hampering my enjoyment. The issues are:

1. Incredibly underpowered magic. Sorcerers are meant to be glass cannons, right? Then why does it take up to four casts of Soul Arrow to kill a single normal enemy?

2. Combine the above with a limit to FP restoration and I’m having to beat every section in numerous small chunks because even if I allocate ALL my Estus to Ashen Estus Flasks I’m still running out of FP after fighting a handful of enemies. I’m at the swamp now and there are dozens of those poison bugs and wooden spike guys everywhere. I go in, clear them out, search for items, head back to bonfire, run past last guys, clear out new guys, search for items etc. It feels like I’ve been doing this all game so far.

3. I understand that the above is about resource management but the change from spell charges back to an MP system hasn’t been thought through. In Dark Souls/2 you could get multiple copies of spells which meant you could sacrifice some stat points in Attunement to load up on multiple copies. In this game I’ve not put a single point into Attunement because with a shared FP pool you may as well only carry two spells - one slow/one fast. I don’t have a need for another spell that’s only going to drain my FP pool.

4. Which leads to me having put all the spare stat points I would have put into Attunement into Vigor. So instead of being a glass cannon I’m able to tank enemies with my ridiculously high HP. I feel like the opposite of what a Mage class should be.

5. Finally the thing that’s frustrated me the most is that I’m 10 hours into the game and I’m still using the SAME TWO SPELLS that I started the game with - Heavy/Soul Arrow. I’ve met two Sorcerer NPCs and the only extra spells they’ve sold are Magic Sword/Weapon which are useless to me. Every area I get to I find a new Miracle/Pyromancy tome and… nothing for Sorcerers.

So does anyone feel the same way or have any advice which might make the game more enjoyable? I don’t want to start the game over in the hope that some more powerful spells will make things better but right now I’m feeling that I won’t even bother with NG+ with this build and will start over with a pure STR build seeing as how I’m using my sword so often as it is.

Enjoying everything else about the game but feel like I've been disadvantaged by going what is normally a really fun build!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom