• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeteh

Am I getting trolled with these illusory wall messages? My attacks don't do shit, lol. They have hundreds of likes...

Yeah, you are. The annoying thing is there are actually illusory walls out there but I felt I saw 15 fake messages before finding one, I was starting to question if they were in the game.

And yeah, just attack to open it.

El Jaffe

Do covenant ranks reset in Ng+?

Yeah, you are. The annoying thing is there are actually illusory walls out there but I felt I saw 15 fake messages before finding one, I was starting to question if they were in the game.

And yeah, just attack to open it.
In the early game, yeah 95% of the illusion messages seem to be fake, but the latter half is LOADED with them so it's better to take the chance and hit the wall.

Rocketz

Yo what the fuck at the first enemy in the B
oreal
Valley. I keep dying to it.

Edit: nevermind the SOB is finally dead. It took for tries than some of the bosses I've fought.

taybul

As someone mentioned earlier, is durability even necessary in the game anymore? I think I had a weapon almost break on me once while co-op'ing.

Taruranto

So does sorcery still suck shit? I keep mulling over a heavy INT/FTH build for pyromancy, sorcery, hex fun but might just try something else

Yeah, Pyro is somewhat viable right now, so I've been using that hoping they'll fix spell-casting with the next patch.

So I played Demons Souls and didn't really get far into it. I had started playing Dark Souls last year or so but stopped after my save file got wiped. I started playing Dark Souls 1 again and am determined to at least try to finish it. If I end up finishing it, is it best just to skip Dark Souls 2 and go straight to 3? Or is playing 2 worth it at this point? I hear the first one is considered the best.

Steel

Banned
Can I just say how much I missed fighting without having to use lock-on in Bloodborne? It's so nice to be able to just fight without having to give camera control to the game.

Korosenai

Dancer of the Boreal Valley. I got caught in the second phase of the fight a few times, so I reverted back to the comfort of the Uchi and noticed it was applying a nice bleed effect on her.

The bleed effect actually killed the boss for me, so that was a nice surprise.

Nameless

Man the Dark Sword + Curse Ward Greatshield combo is nuts. The shield allows focus attacks from 1h, and has crazy stabillity. This meshes perfectly with Stomp which can poise through most attacks before unleashing pure devastation. Down right bullying everything in
Irithyll
so far.

Question about that key to the elevator in Lothric
(given by a NPC in Firelink)
It's just one dark knight and that's it? :/

What's a great Dex weapon? I'm building a Dex character and using the Uchi for now, but are there other good Dex scaling weapons with different attack patterns?

sora87

Good lord these enemies on the way to
pontiff,
even with the shortcut, arghhhghghghggh.
Don't know why I'm in such a rush to get fucking one shotted anyway.

Soma

man i love release weeks for these games

putting my sign down in front of boss fights and get summoned within seconds

So, I just met
Yoel of Londor
at the
Undead Settlement
- what's this about drawing out true strength or whatever? I don't want to screw up any potential quests that are offered by NPCs.

pa22word

What's a great Dex weapon? I'm building a Dex character and using the Uchi for now, but are there other good Dex scaling weapons with different attack patterns?

Don't worry about scaling in this game. Basically every weapon that starts with C scaling can eventually be scaled up to A rank with Sharp/heavy infusion.

Nazo

Nameless King
is a complete sack of bullshit. There is literally never a safe time to hit him or heal. I'm constantly on the defensive with this fight. I hate it so much. I swear to god if I ever beat this asshole I'm never fighting him again

As a side note: The heavy infused Claymore sucks ass.

Vuze

So, I just met
Yoel of Londor
at the
Undead Settlement
- what's this about drawing out true strength or whatever? I don't want to screw up any potential quests that are offered by NPCs.
You won't by accepting it; in contrary.
So I've just (finally) managed to beat A
ldrich
and I have no clue where to go or what to do. There seems to be no way out in the boss room. Any ideas?
If no cutscene happened, you will still have to fight other lords of cinder. The area where you currently are is a dead end indeed.

Plum

So I've just (finally) managed to beat A
ldrich
and I have no clue where to go or what to do. There seems to be no way out in the boss room. Any ideas?

Mupod

Man the Dark Sword + Curse Ward Greatshield combo is nuts. The shield allows focus attacks from 1h, and has crazy stabillity. This meshes perfectly with Stomp which can poise through most attacks before unleashing pure devastation. Down right bullying everything in
Irithyll
so far.

I wanted to try the dark sword for myself so I put down my summon sign next to the farming spot and went to town. I had 100,000 souls before the damn thing dropped.

I do like it so far but I miss my long range stabbing moves from Lothric Knight Sword which can exploit the AI very easily. The stomp makes for a good ace in the hole in PVP since it has some weird hitbox stuff going on and seems to go through a lot of things.

On that subject so far I have not been having much fun in most invasions since invaders spam heals nonstop. I bought some undead hunter charms and now instead of backing off to heal they immediately turn tail and run to mobs/the other side of the world until it wears off. Since there doesn't seem to be any time limit on invasions I have to wait 400 years for them to man up or alt-F4. Fucking come on. Curious if this is happening on PS4 as well as PC because I never had this problem in 2 on PS3.

Sticking to my quality build so far, at 21/21 str/dex now. Anyone got suggestions on str/dex scaling weapons to keep in mind?

Mandelbo

Okay, I'm completely lost. I'm out of places to go as far as I can tell. It's been a day since I've had a new route to go and I'm not sure what bosses I've killed.

Here's all the bonfire's I've gotten.

You've killed both the
Deacons, which would give you the small doll, and Wolnir, and the next path is literally right after Wolnir. You need the doll to progress so you'll be fine.

Thank you for the response! I've been pumping points into Vigor and Strength mostly - I haven't really dived into other builds, although I plan multiple playthroughs and at least trying different builds with DS3. Total noob when it comes to this stuff, but I'm trying to read up on guides to get a better grasp of the stats.

I figure I'll stop upgrading the Raw Sword and find one that can be infused with a Heavy Gem? That was it scales with my STR

Just use a Shriving Stone to take the Raw off, and then you can put Heavy on it. But yes, Heavy is the way to go if you want to do STR.

Just completed the game! WOOT! I started with a Deprived and ended up doing just maxing out my endurance, vitality, strength and dex. I used a long sword, the crest shield and the fallen knight set.

I only have a few issues with the game. I'll get them out of the way first. The last point is what I want help with.

1. Auto-Tracking. F*cking no! That crap was annoying in DS2 and unforgivable in DS3. I can't tell you the amount of times I would roll and they would mid animation track to my new position.

2. Enemy Groups. In certain environments you can really tell they only made this enemy positioning just to slow you down. Only place I started to really notice this was
Anor Londo

3. Enemy scaling and weapon upgrades. As I was using only a long sword I knew closer to the late game this was going to become an issue. Boy did it! With all the enemy groups I had to face it was stupid difficult to cut down individual enemies from the herd, if it took my whole stamina bar just to take them out. Also there was a distinct lack of
Titanite Chunks until the final areas.
That felt strange. In the past games I've always ended up with an almost max level weapon before entering the end game. You really need it.

4. Stamina bars. My endurance was at level 27 when I finished the game. My stamina was I think at 118. It didn't feel like much of an improvement.

5. This one is all in spoiler as it reflected the games endings.
I did the optional boss fights and got the ending where I usurped the flame. What does that mean!?! Have I killed the flame, have I replaced it with another source, has the cycle finally ended!?! A man needs to know!

6. Lag! Towards the latter areas, the game got super laggy for me. I think that was just all the enemies in the map, but it really messed about with my time for a while.

Positives:

1. OMG does this have some of the best boss fights I've ever played. They all felt awesome and I didn't think any of them except one or two were unfair to the player.

2. The world was fantastic. I still haven't figured out all the lore, but I haven't seen a place I didn't want to find more about it.

3. Enemies were so varied in this game. It didn't feel like a constant slog through the same cannon fodder. Also a lot of the enemies reminded me of Demon Souls. In fact a lot of this game in places reminded me of Demon Souls.

4. PVP. I enjoyed it. There are a few areas where it is just a lot of fun to pvp and arena. Only problem right now is that out of the 4 times I fought against a player 2 of those times there were against T-Man poses. I hear they plan to fix that so all good for me.

5. Weapons & Armour. This game has them. I'm already thinking of how to go through this again with different setups. The Dancer build looks super cool.
Also my fav boss. She was such an interesting ethereal boss.

I'm not placing this last one in either category yet, but is there anyway to change stats once committed like in DS2? It would suck if I have to create a new character.

What did you guys think?

EDIT: Also PVP with my build was a dream. I had the right pointoff ring that made my attacks with each land do more dmg. That with all the stamina increase items I had meant I was breaking shields like it was no ones business.

Plum

You won't by accepting it; in contrary.

If no cutscene happened, you will still have to fight other lords of cinder. The area where you currently are is a dead end indeed.

Wait, so where do I go now? I can't think of any more paths I could go down.

Korosenai

Where can I go online to see the percentage of people that have unlocked the achievements and trophies? I'm curious to see who's done what.

Cob32

Yo what the fuck at the first enemy in the B
oreal
Valley. I keep dying to it.

Edit: nevermind the SOB is finally dead. It took for tries than some of the bosses I've fought.

I've got a theory this might have been a boss at some point.

Citadel

Just use a Shriving Stone to take the Raw off, and then you can put Heavy on it. But yes, Heavy is the way to go if you want to do STR.

Damn, looks like doing that gives it an A rating - I'm gonna assume that's good. Even though I found it fairly early, the broadsword has been fantastic for me. I'm going to do this. Thanks again for the advice - now to find a good shield. Shield of Want or Grass Crest most likely

Melchior

Question about invasions.

Do I need to be embered for NPC invasions? Because my friends were talking about some NPC invasions in areas that I cleared but I never experienced it. And I've been playing a majority of the game not embered. I never ember except for when I get it from a boss.

Kolx

Good lord these enemies on the way to
pontiff,
even with the shortcut, arghhhghghghggh.
Don't know why I'm in such a rush to get fucking one shotted anyway.

You don't have to fight any enemy on your way to him. Did you open the door or are you using the elevator shortcut?

Ogawa-san

So....how do you protect yourself from those hulking tree things in the swamp?
Keep strafing so the red ghosts don't hit you, get a few hits in after dodging the stomps. If no ghosts come out after it attacks, it means there's an AoE coming and you should dodge away.

I'd say avoid them, but the loot is worth it. Especially where
you find 3 of them together...

Is it still possible to get the serpent ring by jumping off that tree, I've spent an hour trying with no luck so far...
Yep. Get some height by jumping off the root of the tree, while running of course.

jtrov

Is anyone having luck with the automatic invasion covenants? I've gone through two areas with Watchdogs of Farron equipped and have gotten nothing. Those rewards seem like they'll be impossible to get at this rate.

NG+, level 107.

Haven't had one successful automatic invasion through my whole first playthtough and now midway through NG+. I haven't had any issues with any of the other online options as I can summon, invade, and be summoned just fine with summon signs. Sucks too since I've enjoyed some large scale co-op in the invasion areas, but I would love to be on the other side so I can get those covenant items.

I'm always wondering if I'm doing something wrong, but I can see the covenant emblem fading in and out like it's looking for a match. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom