• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just attack the ones raising their hands, and it will stop.

Didn't pay close enough attention to know if it's random or specific; the ones I noticed were always skinny. There are three (I think) spells being cast in phase 2:

1. Fireballs
2. The big blue orb projectile
3. Curse field

If they're not 1 or 2, and it looks like they're casting something, they're 3.

Thanks guys, managed to take them out on the next try. Then I went and finished up
Farron Keep
. It only took me two attempts to beat the
Abyss Watchers
. I was expecting to have a tougher time.

Gvitor

Just found a cell key and freed a dude in the first area. He asked me to deliver a ring to some Loretta. Instead of walking out of there he just teleported out, lol. Some cell that was.

Egg0

Banned
Woof was the
Dancer of the Boreal
fight hard for anyone?

I beat it on my first try, but I felt like the frame rate helped. I'm on XBONE and the frame rate would start to drop right before he starts swinging, gives me enough time to start rolling. Feel like it would be a pretty challenging fight at a solid 30 or 60fps.

How do you avoid getting cursed?
im fighting the deacons and it seems unavoidable, otherwise is a real easy boss fight
(early game)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
OK so PvP is pretty fucking fun lol, came in and two guys were fighting so I naturally killed the guy with his back to me, then I killed the other one as well. I guess this isn't seen as honourable but I'm smiling so who cares :D

I can see myself doing a lot of this but I don't really know how it works. Like, what are these items for? Can they see me through the wall like I can them? Any other PvP tips and tricks would be welcome.

Not enjoying the catacombs. Keep dying stupidly. I did love the
skeleton ball
chasing me down those steps though. It needed the Indiana Jones music.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I have to be missing a shortcut in cathedral of the deep from cleansing chapel to whatever is next. The path to and on along the rooftops is long and hard.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So, I invade and there's 3 guys waiting for me, this has happened a few times in the space of like 20 minutes, does no one play solo or what?

Afrodium

Banned
Is there any lever in the Cathedral that will
reopen the path that Siegward traps you on?

I have been scouring the place and can't find shit.

Citadel

Interesting. So summoning a purple, followed by attacking them is not considered bad etiquette?

As someone who puts down their mad phantom summon sign often, I would say no. Most of the time, people are looking for duels but personally, I go into Host worlds with the intention of helping them out - I only attack if they attack me first. Because these summon sign offers no guarantees to whether the phantom is friend or foe, everyone should always be on guard.

GulAtiCa

The poison in this game is so slow in this game, lasts a long long time, but does so little damage so it takes a while to be bothersome.

So I actually don't mind going through F
arren
K
eep

goblin

I had 4 Blue Sentinels help me out during my run. I was invaded in my own game maybe 5 times total, not counting NPC invaders.

Just wanted to throw that out there, since I saw some of you saying it wasn't a great PvP covenant. They saved my ass repeatedly. Only one died and he still gave me the opening to bash the invader to death.

Were the Blue Sentinel assists happening early on or throughout the game? It sounds like people mostly have success getting summoned in the sub-SL 40 range. I put on Blue Sentinels around Irithyll and kept it on for the rest of the game unless I specifically wanted to co-op or PvP, but I only ever got summoned to help once and then my host killed the invader right as I spawned in. I beat the game at SL 80, so I don't think I outpaced any area level ranges.

It might just be a matter of so many people using the two Sentinel covenants compared to a relatively fewer amount of people running around with Way of the Blue on (who are also embered, and can be invaded) so that any individual's chances of getting summoned are pretty slim. As you progress through the game and get access to more covenants, the disparity probably just gets worse. It'd be nice if being in Way of the Blue let you get Proofs when you kill an invader with a Sentinel, just like with Sunlight Medals.

You mean the raised bridge? If so, then yes.
There's a lift in the second shortcut hallway leading from the Cathedral proper to the Cleansing Chapel bonfire. The lift takes you up to a tower, outside of which a ladder lets you climb higher and then move onto rooftops which eventually lead to where I think you're looking for.

You mean the place where you
help him fight the fire demon?

Not that I've found, but I didn't do much after some cursory exploring and item collection. Nothing else brought me back there. Easiest option if you're looking to leave is to just use a homeward bone.

GulAtiCa

I haven't had any luck so far as a Blue. But, I'd imagine most near my progress (only 3 bosses done, excluding the tutorial boss) have gotten and found other covenants to enter by now. I'm in the Woods/F
arren
K
eep
mainly currently. I switch to others when I need to.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
The retrieving calibration error that I'm experiencing on XB1 is seriously getting annoying. Hopefully there's a fix for this soon. I've been trying to get online for 45 minutes now.

The trick of having something downloading at the same time is hit or miss for if it even works for me.

Mandelbo

Think my next playthrough is gonna be a shieldless halberd user - grinding the Winged Knights for their halberd with the continuous spin weapon art may prove tiresome, though.

finalflame

Hey guys, I just killed
Yhorm the Giant
and have also killed the
Abyss Watchers.
. (mid-game)

No idea where to go next. Any hints?

GavinGT

Banned
he's just hard because of the cramped space, it's hard to reliably dodge in that tight space and he does so much fucking damage

not ognna bother with him though

You just gotta attack him a few times, then run into the room with the mimic, then wait for the giant to go back to resting, then repeat. He'll be dead in 3 minutes and you won't take any damage (unless a rat surprises you).

Menome

I have to be missing a shortcut in cathedral of the deep from cleansing chapel to whatever is next. The path to and on along the rooftops is long and hard.

The rooftops are about the halfway point to the next shortcut. It's definitely the longest route between shortcuts/bonfires I've encountered so far and it feels very much like the first Dark Souls in that regard.

It's the first area that I've really enjoyed for feeling like a Soulsborne location. So many moments of bonfire-relief in there, it's great.

mxgt

Banned
Holy Fuck
Aldrich
is absolutely handing my ass to me. Any tips?

Dem arrows though :(

The arrows are lethal, but there's ample warning to get the fuck out of there and hide behind a pillar.

Rushing him worked quite well for me, obviously backing off when
he goes through the floor
and with the arrows.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
So I am told pyromancy is a pretty fun playthrough? Guess I'll try that.

It's quite hard early game like most casters but late game gets much easier.

This is particularly true if you want to try to only use pyromancies and not rely on your weapon most of the time. Weak early game pyromancies + having to focus on raising int/faith rather than things like end/vigor + having to balance normal / ash flasks, ahhh!

That said, once you get the better spells you feel quite powerful.

Mandelbo

Holy Fuck
Aldrich
is absolutely handing my ass to me. Any tips?

Dem arrows though :(

Just quoting myself from last page:

Yup, you gotta kill
Aldrich
to progress. Here's my fight if it helps at all: https://youtu.be/Qvp3hSRUjys

My tips:
- The orbs he sends out do very little damage, so don't focus on them as much - unless they all home in on you at once.
- In the first phase, he only shoots arrows directly in front of him. In the second phase, make sure to get as much distance between him as you can, then run towards him, making sure to keep him in your sight the whole time in case he shoots a beam at you.
- A shield with high magic resistance is also useful.

GavinGT

Banned
Hey guys, I just killed
Yhorm the Giant
and have also killed the
Abyss Watchers.
. (mid-game)

No idea where to go next. Any hints?

Abyss Watcher boss room leads to another area. There's also a boss fight you likely missed in Irytthyl Valley.

dmr87

Nameless King
is really rustling my pants right now, the most annoying thing isn't even phase 2 itself but that you have to get through phase 1 every time. Phase 1 isn't that hard but it's just really annoying to keep track of him because of the scale.

Never give up, never surrender. Back in I go.

finalflame

Catacombs or Pontiff

I'm confused; I did the
catacombs
, killed
Wolnir
. Then went on to
Irithyll
, which eventually lead to the
Irithyll Dungeon
and then
Profaned Capital[/SPOILER where ]
Yhorm
was.

Where do I need to backtrack?

mxgt

Banned
Just got to
Archdragon Peak
. Admittedly I used a wiki, but damn what a beautiful zone.

Also, got
Butcher's Knife
to +10, such a beast with S scaling in Strength.

Mandelbo

Is there seriously only one bonfire in the
Catacombs
?! Its fucking huge been exploring for ages!

Not sure if you mean the one you get just after the A
byss Watchers
but other than that there is another one hidden relatively near the end of the area.

SDCowboy

So I somehow made it through Irithyll of the Boreal Valley and most of the way through Irithyll Dungeon, without encountering the boss for the former. Wonder where I missed him.

I'm confused; I did the
catacombs
, killed
Wolnir
. Then went on to
Irithyll
Irithyll Dungeon
and then
Profaned Capital
where ]
Yhorm
was.

Irithyll.
He probably mentioned
Catacombs because there's a hidden area there.

Veelk

Banned
You know, honestly wasn't feeling the environment design for most of the game, but
Ithyrill
is great so far.

The game started off strong, but as soon as I got to the
Road of Sacrifices
, I wasn't feeling it, and then it got even worse with
Farron Keep
, and
Cathedral of the Deep
wasn't as good as I was hoping it'd be either, and there were the
Catacombs
. I don't really like dungeon environments so much.

But now the game put in my in a
snowy castle
environment. Okay, you won back my heart game, just don't put me in another

"
Ithyrill
Dungeon"

....oh.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm confused; I did the
catacombs
, killed
Wolnir
. Then went on to
Irithyll
Irithyll Dungeon
and then
Profaned Capital[/SPOILER where ]
Yhorm
was.

Irithyll Valley. You missed a boss fight there. Check the water area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom