• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this question was already asked, but is the Collector's Guide worth the pick up? I loved DS/DS2/BB Hardcover guides. The attention to detail was superb. I also saw on here that a different team did the DS3 guide (which caused me to cancel my preorder and wait for thoughts). For context I primarily get these for the lore and art, not for the actual 'guide' part.

Here are some feedback regarding the DS3 guide. I still bought the estus flask edition just to complete the collection ;_; At least the hardcover is very similar to Future Press collector's edition guide.
The estus flask edition was only $33 bucks with free shipping for me so why not :p

nym

Neo Member
For lore and art, no. For specific treasure locations or NPC chains of events, not really.
For maps, sure.
I like it well enough, got it reasonably cheap on Amazon and it looks nice with the other two on the shelf, but it's no Future Press guide.

Cool, thanks. That's what I was sort of gathering from the Amazon reviews, but I'm always hesitant to listen to those. I still may pick it up just because I was thinking it may look nice on the shelf to complete the series. I'll wait until after I get the 'Art of' books for DS1/2.

Brakke

Banned
I actually think this is the best level design in the series. I keep finding all these winding paths through enormous areas that eventually all meet up or lead to huge item grab areas.

I keep thinking that open world linearty is the best

The Cleansing Chapel bonfire is one of my favorite things in all these games. I was spawning to there for several hours but frequently leaving it on some new path that eventually unlocked a shortcut that looped back around to it. It had a really cool feel of this base camp from which I launched several different operations against the Cathedral.

psychotron

So happy with my progress today!!
I spent hours in the Undead Village. I met Siegward, killed that fire beast easy, and managed to kill that crystal bastard by the door to the next location. I couldn't get that cell open that I found though with an NPC in it. How do I get the key?

I love this game btw.

Wagram

So I finished my first run of Dark Souls 3 at 51 hours. That includes being as thorough as possible, all optional bosses, etc. I would rate it 9/10. It's very fun, and is definitely a proper send off for the series (at least for now).

In terms of the Soulsborne franchise I would rate it:

Dark Souls 1 > Demon's Souls > Dark Souls 3 = Dark Souls 2 > Bloodborne.

It struggles in level design in some areas, but it more than makes up for it in nostalgia and boss encounters. Much better than last years Bloodborne, but it is a flawed masterpiece of an experience. Loved it and can't wait for the DLC.

I actually think this is the best level design in the series. I keep finding all these winding paths through enormous areas that eventually all meet up or lead to huge item grab areas.

I keep thinking that open world linearty is the best

I dont think any of the areas are actively bad like the first two games, and several areas are really damn good, through a combination of good enemy/encounter design, loot, sound design, art direction, NPCs, unique level gimmicks(giants, poison, dragons, traps, NPC invaders, etc), explorable spaces, all that shit. Several areas I think are top tier
(Cathedral, Boreal Valley, Lothric Castle, Archdragon Peak)
. Even the required poison swamp/dungeon areas are dope.

My absolutely favorite bit is the final lead-up to the
Two Princes in Lothric Castle. Killed them all with one estus flask left, shit was so hype. Just a really fantastic build-up, like the ultimate test against the Knight enemies you've been fighting sporadically all-game.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I feel so.... hollow (sorry) now that I've finished the game, and PvP is a bit meh since it's always 3v1. The question is do I do a second playthrough or just call it done and move on? I'm not sure. I still have 30% left to do in Assassin's Creed: Syndicate so I can bosh that out tomorrow and then decide how I want to move forward. I need something to tide me over until Drake steals my life next month.

Down goes N
ameless
K
ing
. What a bad ass. Definitely the hardest fight in the game, followed by C
hampion
G
undyr
and D
ancer

yella

Did Anri make anyone else think of this meme?

lIezy4A.jpg

imhz1iy.jpg

Also, I have a code for the Prima eGuide if anyone wants it; just quote me here.

Can I have it if it's still available?

I've been playing since about Wednesday (pre-ordered, but was playing the Bloodborne DLC). I couldn't resist after seeing all the vids and reading through the OT. About 40 hours in (most of that is leaving it on while doing other things, like eating); now helping people beat the
Abyss Walkers
. Taking it slow and easy, exploring every nook and cranny.

wow, 70% of invasions today have everyone sliding around... shits fucked....

Had that happened when joining in to fight a boss and it never attack. Then had the same issue with an invader. Right now the MP portion of the game is broken.

Also what the hell with getting invaded by two players and only showing one person's name? It happened to me twice which is the number of times being invaded.

eot

Banned
About the first proper area, high wall of lorthic or w/e
That locked door by the second bonfire, is that something you have to return to much later?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Had that happened when joining in to fight a boss and it never attack. Then had the same issue with an invader. Right now the MP portion of the game is broken.

Getting summons for dancer now and haven't had an issue. It was only for invading.... So stupid.

*edit*

Okay, catacombs only. Just invaded near dancer and no problem other then the usual summon whores who are hilariously awful.

Jintor

I still feel like DS1 is the king of shit opening up into earlier areas but there's really good bits of DS3 definitely, it just takes a while to get there.

Demoskinos

What gives I traded the crow a firebomb for a piece of Large Titanite and he didn't give me shit. :( I just need one more to upgrade this Uchi again.

Riposte

Anyone else disappointed they didn't continue DSII's dual-wielding and power stance? I guess weapon arts are suppose to make up for it, but I really liked the old system.

MAN. I churned through a lot of stuff today.

All the Cathedral of the Deep.
All the Catacombs. Holy shit that skeleton ball. I had Critters 2 flashbacks.
Met Anri a few times.
Met Horace. :( Didn't tell Anri, though. It looks like Horace fell off the bridge and got scared/confused down there...so he was attacking anyone that came through. I felt awful doing it but yeah. I dunno yet with this quest.
Ran around the Smoldering Lake getting shot at, found a hole in the stone to some insane underground pyromancy church. GODDAMN THIS GAME. The fate of DS1 characters...ugh.
Killed Tsorig twice and he deserves a dozen more deaths, that fat fuck. Jesus.
Ran away from a lava worm and realized I'd completely skipped Wolnir so went back and obliterated him.

Seriously feeling good about most of those.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I am impressed by how they managed to stick a swamp even into
a mountain cavern with a dilapidated tower in it.

Uthred

Finished my first run through, probably missed a lot, enjoyed it and its certainly a great game. But at the same time I'm happy that its the end of this incarnation of the series. While the game was good I could feel franchise fatigue setting in, this wasnt helped by the game being a homage to its predecessors. I think it could have done with more new areas, a lot of the areas felt like rehashes of stuff that had come before (some quite explicitly of course). As did a lot of the enemies and bosses. The game is polished but I felt it lacked the same element of exciting discovery as the other games (nor did it have the messed up levels from Demon Souls). Looking forward to another run through. The game has a crazy amount of loot compared to the other ones, always felt like I was picking stuff up and I'm going to experiment a bit more this time.

Despite the negative tones it might be my favourite of the Dark Souls games, it includes more or less everything I liked from the previous games and while lacking some of the high points from 1&2 it also lacks the lows. Demon Souls remains my favourite of the Souls series, and Bloodborne my favourite of the extended series (just for the lore and setting never mind the combat). It'll be interesting to see where they go next with Souls but I really hope its not more western fantasy. They should take the Otogi world and give it the souls treatment.

norog

Welp. That's it. I bumped R2 setting down the controller and now the lady who sells stuff at firelink is dead. Is there any hope or is it #2hardcore4u restart a new character time?

Grief.exe

Cool effect, blood splatters on walls.

Farron then Cathedral. save the best for last.

Boss of Cathedral is easier.

I did Cathedral of the Deep first.

I'd do Catherdral first. Better area, easier boss, and all the souls will make Farron Keep's boss easier, which is the first real roadblock for most

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm really looking forward to Cathedral now.

acsn

Can someone tell me if I'm over or under leveled? I haven't been seeing any summon signs. I'm level 35 and I just beat
Deacons of the deep
and I haven't been to
Farron's Keep
yet.

Styles

Did anyone else get stuck in the Cathedral area for hours looking for a way to get to an area? lol. A absolutely love the level design.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
). It'll be interesting to see where they go next with Souls but I really hope its not more western fantasy. They should take the Otogi world and give it the souls treatment.

Otogi was great and I would love another but it should remain it's own thing IMO. Does Microsoft own the IP?

I'm ready for Sci Fi souls.

VZll66h.jpg

Holyshiiiiit! This is one of the most gorgeous locations I've seen so far.

Location spoiler

What sword is that?

Uthred

Otogi was great and I would love another but it should remain it's own thing IMO. Does Microsoft own the IP?

I'm ready for Sci Fi souls.

It was published by SEGA not Microsoft IIRC, so they may own the IP. Sci-Fi Souls would be great, really the further they get from semi-generic fantasy the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom