• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

Wow, my R9 270 can still put in work.

Averaging 35-37FPS
Min 31 FPS
Max 60FPS

Playing with max settings, 1080P

CPU is an i5-6600K

This game is running so poorly on my end. :c

Anyways, am I really supposed to kill the katana chick/guy? Or am I going the wrong way?

Yup, kill him

Why not find out that stuff yourself? Where's the fun when people tell you how to level the stats etc.?

There might be some stuff I could use in the interim if I knew how how high to go on strength. Don't really wanna just waste points

It's not about asking how to level. Just looking for a number like 18 or 20 or whatever

Varna

Won't have time to play today but I can at least create my character. Going deprived as always. Loved all the new features and the ability to save characters.

The hair choices are pretty awful though. I remember DS2 being a lot better with the quality of hair pieces.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Game is buttery at 60fps but it's micro freezing whenever it saves, even on a good SSD.

How's the game on X1 performing?

I'm sitting right on the edge of the refund fence with my steam copy, can't get my controller to work at all. Even when trying to use the keyboard I still see controller buttons on the UI :/, had 2 crashes so far.
It's funny though I'm not even upset, I think I'm just over PC gaming, I got the website open for buying it on console instead I just don't know if it's worth maybe waiting for a patch or just screw it and jump platform?

RedSnake

Could only play for about 3 hours.
I think this is the hardest game to start Deprived.
Beat tut boss and first boss.
Uchi dude was the hardest but now I have his stuff.

Music is AMAZING but first boss' 2nd part is something else.

Right now I'm half naked with a helmet and my Uchi, parrying left and right and loving this game.

I needed this.

Bedlam

There might be some stuff I could use in the interim if I knew how how high to go on strength. Don't really wanna just waste points

It's not about asking how to level. Just looking for a number like 18 or 20 or whatever
This game is more open and dynamic as far as weapon customization and stats go than any other Souls game from what I've seen so far. You can make any build viable and I wouldn't fret about the odd wasted point. Just experiment a bit. Much more fun than min-maxing, especially on the first playthrough.

And even though I haven't encountered it yet, I'm pretty sure respeccing is possible at some point.

This game is running so poorly on my end. :c

Anyways, am I really supposed to kill the katana chick/guy? Or am I going the wrong way?

Is 100% optional unless you want the weapon, at least you can wait until you are more leveled if you want.

anyone getting a weird glitch where your guys skin appears really dark?

its like some weird lighting glitch

Is blood, you get dirty with blood of your enemies.

Goo blood, mind you. lol

Cob32

Just hit and overcome my first wall. (Mid game spoilers)
The Dancer. Nothing has come close to giving me the trouble this has in this game.

wrongway

Argh, I made the mistake of allowing myself a little break to dork with the character creator. Now I'm sitting here staring at a spreadsheet and rapidly losing my mind. I wanna plaaaaay D:

Robiin

I am now in bed reading about this katana dude that I will probably face very soon (judging by how many people have gotten to and are posting about him) and all I can think about is that I want an
uchigatina
and therefore I want to go back to my couch!

iddqd

First DS game that I play on PC and loving it.
Super smooth, controls feel tight, looks great.

It chuggs a bit every time it auto saves but apart from that, all good.

Surprised how early weapon upgrading is a thing, not even 2h in and my Claymore is already at +2.

Soulflarz

Banned
I am now in bed reading about this katana dude that I will probably face very soon (judging by how many people have gotten to and are posting about him) and all I can think about is that I want an
uchigatina

oh
it's this robiin

:lol

How's the game on X1 performing?

I'm sitting right on the edge of the refund fence with my steam copy, can't get my controller to work at all. Even when trying to use the keyboard I still see controller buttons on the UI :/, had 2 crashes so far.
It's funny though I'm not even upset, I think I'm just over PC gaming, I got the website open for buying it on console instead I just don't know if it's worth maybe waiting for a patch or just screw it and jump platform?

A bit worse than DS2 on the 360, much better than DS1 on the 360. There are quite frequent framerate drops in some areas but it's always playable (at least for me, YMMV).

Edit: this is based on completing the game and all the optional areas over 40 hours of playtime.

FRossR

Neo Member
People playing on PS4 some major issues? (aside the framerate drop)?

Man i'll pick my copy on Friday, i cant contain the hype D:

Any quick tips of make sure do do this, don't do that, etc?

Are estus shards to be saved or just used?

I'm still at work so can't speak to DS3 in particular, however if it's like previous games you should just use it and upgrade your flask. It gives you one extra flask charge which is super helpful.

As for quick tips...

- Don't use the consumable souls unless you must! AKA, don't simply immediately use them when you get them. Use them if you are trying to level up and are a bit out of reach or are trying to buy an item, then consume them and use them. Reason being is that it would be a big waste to use a consumable soul and then die and lose it.

- Starting class really doesn't matter much. It just sets a starting stats, and if you respec later on, I believe it resets the stats back to what your chosen starter "class" has.

- Always be aware of how many souls you have stored up and it's best to keep in mind your next goal (which many times will be just to level up). Be aware of that cost. Don't be afraid to turn around in a new area and head back to the bonfire to level up and use your souls. Sure, you'll have to fight the enemies again, but you'll be stronger and will also have less to lose.

- Don't be afraid to just sprint through an area and bypass the enemies. They'll typically follow you, but if you get to a bonfire they'll reset.

- If something seems slightly too hard, you can always just grind an area for souls to level up or upgrade gear. Eventually it stops spawning enemies in areas though so you can't do it forever.

- As with any Souls game, if you enter an area which seems absolutely ridiculously hard or you just feel like you're doing it wrong, don't forget to just explore other areas. Maybe there was a path choice you forget to make somewhere in another area which gives you a critical item or something.

- And as with above, always pay attention to your environment! If there are multiple ways to go, don't forget to explore them all.

- Fashion souls is more important than anything. Found some better stats armor? Well, if it doesn't match your current outfit, it isn't worth shit! :p

uchigatina
Oh man, you are describing exactly what I just went and did.

Worth it.

Dr. Buni

Is 100% optional unless you want the weapon, at least you can wait until you are more leveled if you want.
Have a closer look at the fire in the middle of the Shrine.
Thank you both.

Two more questions: Where is the item to leave messages located? And is it possible to change the in game language? My Steam is English, but the game is on my native language, but I want to play English, like I played the previous games.

This game is more open and dynamic as far as weapon customization and stats go than any other Souls game from what I've seen so far. You can make any build viable and I wouldn't fret about the odd wasted point. Just experiment a bit. Much more fun than min-maxing, especially on the first playthrough.

And even though I haven't encountered it yet, I'm pretty sure respeccing is possible at some point.

Fair enough. I'll just mess around with my stats.

I started as a deprived and I'm still butt naked. Wooden shield is legit awful. Club seems much slower than previous games too. About time From made choosing it more challenging.

FFMafia

Is there a class most closest resembling blood borne style combat? Fast and dodgy? And what stats would govern that movement? Not much of a souls player but I beat blood borne and I absolutely loved the pacing of the combat

theRizzle

• Sound is sometimes off
  • Overlay doesn't work
  • Since overlay doesn't work and I get a message my game sometimes gets minimized (very badddd)

What do you mean by your sound is off? I'm having a sound issue as well.

The problem seems to be mostly with the ambient noise while panning the camera. It will completely cut out, and then increases in volume by steps. Imagine turning a volume knob from 0 to 10 in 2 seconds, but you quickly stop at every number on the way. That's what it sounds like to me.

It's actually pretty jarring.

Bedlam

First DS game that I play on PC and loving it.
Super smooth, controls feel tight, looks great.

It chuggs a bit every time it auto saves but apart from that, all good.

Surprised how early weapon upgrading is a thing, not even 2h in and my Claymore is already at +2.
Yup, weapon upgrading is paced exceptionally well in this game. Especially compared to the shitshow that was DS2 in this regard.

I'm also having better time experimenting with different weapons and upgrading paths than in any other Souls game before.

Anno

Finally beat the first boss after...I dunno, 6, 7 tries? I'm so bad at these games but enjoy playing them at the same time. Still feels really rewarding shoving that final spear in.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus, the feeling when you're low HP, out of Estus and a placing souls miles away from a bonfire, my heart can't take it :D

Jolkien

Yay I beat the crystal lizard thingie on my first try in the starting area. Beginner's luck most likely. Wish I could play more right now but I gotta head to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom