• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Buni

Having fun so far - I'm up on the High Wall and have really just started. A lot of it is reminding me of Demon's Souls, actually.

Visually it's not a match for Bloodborne (or even close, imo) but the IQ is very nice and it's far better looking than the Scholar of the First Sin port. Only issue so far is that the 60fps nature of it is making me a little queasy - not uncommon for me, but it'll pass. I would genuinely enable a 30fps mode if it was there but it shouldn't be an issue for much longer.
Dark Souls II was a last gen game, it would be really weird for it to look better than Dark Souls III. Weird comparison.

HYDE

Banned
Having fun so far - I'm up on the High Wall and have really just started. A lot of it is reminding me of Demon's Souls, actually.

Visually it's not a match for Bloodborne (or even close, imo) but the IQ is very nice and it's far better looking than the Scholar of the First Sin port. Only issue so far is that the 60fps nature of it is making me a little queasy - not uncommon for me, but it'll pass. I would genuinely enable a 30fps mode if it was there but it shouldn't be an issue for much longer.

Oh just you wait...

Griss

Dark Souls II was a last gen game, it would be really weird for it to look better than Dark Souls III. Weird comparison.

It's not weird at all. There are three Souls games on PS4, and I'm just stating that Dark Souls 3 falls between the other two.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Bah, I really hope they fix this 1 second freeze every time it saves, it runs perfectly otherwise.

Woah amazing, only 35 mins, didnt even go into that first hub area after the first boss (sooooooo glad I picker pyromancer when fighting him) went on a detour, fought a tough enemy - GOT MY FAVORITE WEAPON CLASS IN THE GAME (he dropped a
uchigatana
which is the class of weapon I like to unlock as soon as possible in a DS game, as well as a bunch of cool other loot

Pyromancer served me well, killed him first time - I was nervous of the fight after seeing a ton of blood pools beforehand (and getting 2000 souls means I guess he was supposed to be tough?) as he couldnt withstand pyro flames

Man great game, graphics are so nice. Its great to see a 60 fps dark souls with graphics that are targetted to new gen consoles versus old (PC all maxxed at 1080p)

Quikies83

Got to the 2nd area, will play all day tomorrow after a good night's sleep. One question: There's a locked door near the second bonfire in the first area with an elevator behind it. I searched high and low but couldn't find a path to unlock it. Anyone got that door open?
I believe a NPC will give you that key eventually

Moaradin

/sigh I hope this game doesn't have summoning problems like DS1 and DS2 has. Spent the last hour trying to summon my two friends and no luck. Put a password but their signs just don't show up. With Bloodborne I never had any issues.

ramyeon

Okay I lied - tutorial boss was easy as even with deprived. Much easier up close in the second phase - destroyed him with my club :D

OMG I just saw game is playable in my library. Kind of unexpected, I had things planned out for midnight and now I'm not ready. I need to clean up my desk area and find my controller.

Did they move the unlock date up?

Guys if you're having trouble getting your DS4 to work with Dark Souls 3 using DS4Windows, follow these steps:

1) Make sure Steam isn't running at all.
2) Turn on your DS4 and connect it to your PC.
3) Turn on DS4Windows, making sure "Hide DS4" is selected in Settings. If all goes well, it should connect no problem with no errors.
4) Turn on Steam.
5) Start up Dark Souls 3.
6) Success!

I am currently using my Dual Shock 4 with Dark Souls 3 using this exact method. :) Good luck!

Thanks for this suggestion. I was unable to get it to work until i tried your reset method.

Tenebrous

Nice to see the stupid fucking levels of weapon clipping back once more to plague my life. Enemies attacking through several feet of concrete? Yeah, whatever.

Corpekata

Banned
Very early game tactics:
Fire seems very useful at the start of the game. Multiple enemies going into "i'm burning" type animations that make them easier to manage. Actually using the firebombs I get at the start of these games for once.

Okay I lied - tutorial boss was easy as even with deprived. Much easier up close in the second phase - destroyed him with my club :D
Had the same experience as Deprived. Thought first he is extremely hard as Deprived but if you go in and smash his brains out he is really easy.

But i have to say the club is terrible and the game became much easier when i found my first real sword.

Guys if you're having trouble getting your DS4 to work with Dark Souls 3 using DS4Windows, follow these steps:

1) Make sure Steam isn't running at all.
2) Turn on your DS4 and connect it to your PC.
3) Turn on DS4Windows, making sure "Hide DS4" is selected in Settings. If all goes well, it should connect no problem with no errors.
4) Turn on Steam.
5) Start up Dark Souls 3.
6) Success!

I am currently using my Dual Shock 4 with Dark Souls 3 using this exact method. :) Good luck!
Thanks. Will try this and hopefully won't have issues.

Quikies83

The guy that gives you the Cracked Red Eye Orbs?
He was somehow gone before I turned off the game. I'll have to check tomorrow again
Yup.
he shows back up after a bit - not sure what triggers it - and gives you the key. The item you'll find is related to the items he gave you initially.

ElFly

JESUS CHRIST would it kill From to let you level up at the bonfires?

It's no coincidence DS1 is regarded as the best of the saga and also the one without a stupid level up waifu.

BizzyBum

Too many choices on where to go, too much death at each turn.

cGy1RRn.gif

Corpekata

Banned
Question - when you're in hollow form, does your character still sport a bad case of shriveled-face like in past games?

No, default death state looks normal human, the "humanity" form in this sports a sort of embery effect.

I'm not sure if there is a hollow form in the game though, but the normal post-death form is normal looking.

Finished the first boss and scoped out the shrine area. Kinda didn't know where to go until I read up above a few posts.

Looks pretty good and seems smooth for 30fps, 60 fps would be nice.

No, default death state looks normal human, the "human" form in this sports a sort of embery effect.

I'm not sure if there is a hollow form in the game though, but the normal form is normal looking.

Cool, thanks. I was wondering if it was going to be worth putting in the time in character creation or not.

Alo0oy

Banned
JESUS CHRIST would it kill From to let you level up at the bonfires?

It's no coincidence DS1 is regarded as the best of the saga and also the one without a stupid level up waifu.

Demon's Souls is the best one, sorry DS1 folks, but that's a fact. :p

Corpekata

Banned
where is the bonfire after the first one at high lothric? It seems like I've gone way too long without finding one.

Above the area with the first Lothric Knight you encounter (that drops his shield and helm, at least for me). The progression leads you down, but there's stairs above that have a bonfire.

Finally got home excited to play.

See .1GB needed to download to play. NBD.

Download speed: 0 bytes/s

Ready to launch in approximately: 10 hours and counting.

doctor-who-rain-sad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom