• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you play the original DS2 or SOTFS? Because I quit SOTFS recently, I found it to be way too cheap, although I heard original DS2 was relatively easy

SOTFS. Only bosses I remember having a hard time with was Fume Knight and the final bosses of the last DLC. It is a bit cheap though at times, but it's not like the mobs aren't sometimes in the standalone game either. To be honest actually the triple spear gank squad near the beginning probably gave me more trouble than any boss.

Corpekata

Banned
Ok, 2nd guessing my class..do classes really matter in this game? Or am I free to kinda develop them how I want?

Classes only matter at the start of the game in this series. Everything a class has you can gain in the game, and you can build a character however you want. So if you start as the Knight, for instance, you'll have good armor and a good shield, but you can always favor pyromancy later once you find the gear and spells in the game.

Ok, 2nd guessing my class..do classes really matter in this game? Or am I free to kinda develop them how I want?

They never really mattered in Souls games. Classes just determine starting gear and stats. You can build any class into whatever you want. A Thief can end up using Greatswords or a warrior can be a mage.

Thoughts 10 hours in.

Any suggestions on what to transpose? I'm a str character, but I dunno how good Vordt's Great hammer is. The ring sounds _awesome_. I just beat the crystal sage so unfortunately nothing good there for me. Looks like I'm right outside the Cathedral of the deep, just outside the cucifixion forest, soon should be fighting a lord of cinder! excited.

Also, I must have missed the miracle npc. Never found it yet.

Aomber

SOTFS. Only bosses I remember having a hard time with was Fume Knight and the final bosses of the last DLC. It is a bit cheap though at times, but it's not like the mobs aren't sometimes in the standalone game either. To be honest actually the triple spear gank squad near the beginning probably gave me more trouble than any boss.

I agree, that's actually one of my complaints about the game is that I thought they weren't very memorable compared to bosses in the first Dark Souls or Bloodborne. They're kind of pushovers and the designs didn't do much for me.

But you're absolutely right the mobs in the game can be so cheap. Weirdly enough in my playthrough they'd start behaving differently too so when I'd be running to a boss I'd get wrecked by something that didn't aggro the last 6 times I ran through that area. Between that and the mobs I wasn't having fun unfortunately =(

EDIT: BUT I did watch the DLC bosses in a playthrough and they were awesome

Kadin

Any ideas if this is a title Redbox will have at launch? I see a reference to the game on their site but no indication if it'll drop this week or when. Never use Redbox much so I'm not sure what the typical release schedule is like for popular games like this.

Zomba13

Played up to the second bonfire in the second area and I'm liking it so far (outside of stupid PC bonfire crashes). Biggest complaint so far is a level up waifu. Why? It was annoying in DS2 and annoying here. If we can travel to any bonfire from any bonfire, and the waifu lives at one of the bonfires, all you're doing is adding needless loading times. On PC this isn't much of an issue because of fast loads, but it's still a useless annoyance.

MilkBeard

Played up to the second bonfire in the second area and I'm liking it so far (outside of stupid PC bonfire crashes). Biggest complaint so far is a level up waifu. Why? It was annoying in DS2 and annoying here. If we can travel to any bonfire from any bonfire, and the waifu lives at one of the bonfires, all you're doing is adding needless loading times. On PC this isn't much of an issue because of fast loads, but it's still a useless annoyance.

level-anywhere has only been in one Soulsborne game.

Thoughts 10 hours in.

Any suggestions on what to transpose? I'm a str character, but I dunno how good Vordt's Great hammer is. The ring sounds _awesome_. I just beat the crystal sage so unfortunately nothing good there for me. Looks like I'm right outside the Cathedral of the deep, just outside the cucifixion forest, soon should be fighting a lord of cinder! excited.

Also, I must have missed the miracle npc. Never found it yet.

I actually used that hammer for a bit and it was really good. There are probably better weapons in the game, but its not bad at all. If the ring is the one I think you mean, its pretty useless, especially for a strength character.

theRizzle

But you're absolutely right the mobs in the game can be so cheap. Weirdly enough in my playthrough they'd start behaving differently too so when I'd be running to a boss I'd get wrecked by something that didn't aggro the last 6 times I ran through that area. Between that and the mobs I wasn't having fun unfortunately =(

I felt the same, but then what happened for me was it turned into a war of attrition due to how they despawn enemies once you kill them enough times. So whenever I got to a part like that (IRON KEEP) I would just whittle them down one at a time. I didn't even care about learning to fight them better, I just wanted to kill as many as I could in that life, die, and then do it all over again.

As for DS3, finally beat the first boss on my 12th-ish attempt. The game feels great but man am I rusty. I played through Bloodborne in 29 hours right after launch and didn't touch it again until the DLC but had a way harder time it the second time around for some reason. I gave up about a quarter of the way through (so I haven't even seen any of the DLC to my extreme shame) because this was coming out. I am really liking what I've played so far and haven't had a single crash. I am however having an audio bug where some of the ambient sound will cut out and then come back in about 5 increasing steps of volume.

I actually used that hammer for a bit and it was really good. There are probably better weapons in the game, but its not bad at all. If the ring is the one I think you mean, its pretty useless, especially for a strength character.

Cool thanks. It's
the hp recovery ring, per hit

Classes only matter at the start of the game in this series. Everything a class has you can gain in the game, and you can build a character however you want. So if you start as the Knight, for instance, you'll have good armor and a good shield, but you can always favor pyromancy later once you find the gear and spells in the game.

They never really mattered in Souls games. Classes just determine starting gear and stats. You can build any class into whatever you want. A Thief can end up using Greatswords or a warrior can be a mage.

Okay, thank you guys for clarifying, appreciate it.

It's unpacking. It'll speed up quickly, prob 10-15 max on a normal HDD.

yeah it ended up only taking 15 minutes or so.
Unfortunately after the intro cinematic my monitors went absolutely batshit crazy, turning on and off and eventually just getting completely stuck. So I had to force a reboot. Hopefully upgrading my drivers will prevent that from happening again...

Griss

In the first area, just reached
some kind of cathedral.
Unlocked my first elevator shortcut, and you know what? That's enough for tonight.

I must say, the movement 'feels' superb. And the opening areas make a far better impression than Dark Souls 2 did. So far, so good. This should be a good'un.

Adaren

I think I'm settled on my character! Might tweak the hair color depending on how things look in game, but the rest of it is more or less set.

ZeTqnwy.jpg

Took me < 90 minutes, so much faster than DS2!

Also, someone should totally make a character creation thread.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
PSN won't let me preorder. Web store, App Store, PS4 store. So many different errors, which is the maddening part.

I agree, that's actually one of my complaints about the game is that I thought they weren't very memorable compared to bosses in the first Dark Souls or Bloodborne. They're kind of pushovers and the designs didn't do much for me.

EDIT: BUT I did watch the DLC bosses in a playthrough and they were awesome

Yeah I've got a similar opinion of it to be honest. I've never actually replayed it unlike the others either since it just didn't pull me back in. Bosses are easily forgettable since most everything can be reduced to circle strafing and very few break the rule in a way that's fun. Some areas are hell like the magic snipers in the huge cavern near the end so it just makes me want to go back to the other games instead.

I'm pretty confident this will be better in every regard so far. Movement speed makes dealing with groups more manageable and circle strafing on that first real fight didn't work at all. The bosses I've fought in this seem to be much more on par with the tougher ones of BB where they apply a lot of pressure pretty fast even if they're still relatively easy being early bosses. Much better start than that damn slow giant from Das2 that's for sure.

Jobbs

Banned
The "assassin" mold is really interesting now. I've played about 15 hours now on my Xbox One character. I use the broadsword and two spells -- magic sword and spook.

Magic sword is really good, it lasts a long time (correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to definitely last longer than in past games) AND you can just keep casting it for every fight because of the move to mana bar. In the
road of sacrifices swamp area
I found a ring that increases cast speed which makes it easier to keep the buff up.

Spook also has some interesting utilities and has come in handy more than a few times.

Also guys I have found some really interesting 2H maces in
cathedral of the deep

Sarcasm

Question about the switch to 2H and then L2 to activate a stance (which has some burst animation).

You have to stay in 2H correct? Uses that manabar thing too. It didn't seem to change the attack animations but increases damage, am I correct?

Noobcraft

Is the movement more similar to Bloodborne or Dark Souls? I really liked the dodging mechanics in Bloodborne and Dark Souls feels much more restrictive in that respect.

Anung

Un Rama
I think I'm settled on my character! Might tweak the hair color depending on how things look in game, but the rest of it is more or less set.

Took me < 90 minutes, so much faster than DS2!

Also, someone should totally make a character creation thread.

He looks like Justin Chatwin's Goku.

2608567d92b09d1a41b875f1448e9c54.jpg

Jobbs

Banned
Has that spook spell been useful for anyone yet? Might go with the assassin as the starting class.

yeah. it has been useful for making certain drops, (reduce fall damage) and in many case sit has been convenient for running through an area avoiding aggro.

it also is effective at its implied purpose of getting the opening backstab easily

I wish it lasted a little longer, but 15 hours into my assassin char I still use it semi regularly and I use magic weapon constantly. it's a fun build

finalflame

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

First boss spoiler, need help.

How the FUCK do I close the gap with him once he transforms into his abyss form???? It seems fucking impossible! Given I am rolling deprived with a club only, two handed, fast roll.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just got invaded by a purple mob, how do I know if it was human? I got a Vertebra Shackle from it whatever that is.

Santiako

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

How the FUCK do I close the gap with him once he transforms into his abyss form???? It seems fucking impossible! Given I am rolling deprived with a club only, two handed, fast roll.

He's much easier on his second form, just roll towards him and keep hitting, he can't hit you if you are too close.

Jobbs

Banned
HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

stay close and keep circling around, it's not too hard to avoid its attacks

I just got invaded by a purple mob, how do I know if it was human? I got a Vertebra Shackle from it whatever that is.

undead village near the dilapidated bridge? that's an NPC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom