• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? It says D in str and dex, i figured that was subpar. Was actually gonna Raw infuse it once I got the stats to use it properly.

upgrading it raises dex scaling at a good pace. Also has great faith scaling when infused appropriately later in the game. Not sure about int.

Dresden

Wanted to use the estoc but it feels rather slow, and I don't like the sword art for it. Also the scabbard hangs like a foot off the body.

Whatever sword the Knight starts with is pretty nice, though. Just spammed L2+R1 on the second phase of the first boss.

FFMafia

Thief is the closest I'd say, but starting class is really not that important. You'd want to keep a low equip load to keep the movement, so vitality would be the stat for that (or you could just go for very light armor in which case you might not have to level anything at all).

Thanks!

Instead of going left to the boss, leave that boss area and go the other way (aka right, if you're at the split overhead)

I..haven't :x
I beat Demon in 35
I platinum'd Dark in 70hr
I didn't even play scholar in DS2, only 1.0
and platinumed bloodborne half asleep, couldn't have taken that long, since I did the story in like 20/25hr?

Thank God.

So you're good at video games. It's still a very hard game. A lot of people would fail to beat the first boss, even though I consider it easy. Also, you've still put over a hundred hours into it. You better be good.

I also doubt anyone platinumed bloodborne "half asleep".

Havel

The level design is fantastic. Yes, it's not
interconnected
but when each area is so big and complex they honestly feel like segmented <50% Dark Souls 1 type areas.

Soulflarz

Banned
So you're good at video games. It's still a very hard game. A lot of people would fail to beat the first boss, even though I consider it easy. Also, you've still put over a hundred hours into it. You better be good.

I did, then ran Q&A for the |OT| for the second half of the first one and all of the second one, cause people asked a lot of questions in it :x

DS isn't a hard series. It plays different from others. A series where you can repeat similar tactics or be patient to consistently win is not a series I'd consider hard...

Loading bug.

And here I thought we had some new plot, but nope, glitches, all the glitches.

Vire

Anyone who says they beat Orphan of Kos "half asleep" is a god damn liar.

kaioshade

Yep, promptly reminded why i suck at these games. Leave firelink shrine, get 1 shot by naked dude with a Katana.

git gud, etc.

Seriously, how do i pass that guy? Blocking does nothing. i got him down to half health after like 5 minutes of careful dodging. but one slip and youre done.

Kahoona

Yep, promptly reminded why i suck at these games. Leave firelink shrine, get 1 shot by naked dude with a Katana.

git gud, etc.

Seriously, how do i pass that guy? Blocking does nothing. i got him down to half health after like 5 minutes of careful dodging. but one slip and youre done.

Get him close and jump off the edge...he'll follow you off. He drops an Uchi which is incredible for so early on in the game.

UberLevi

upgrading it raises dex scaling at a good pace. Also has great faith scaling when infused appropriately later in the game. Not sure about int.

Ah. Was planning on using a quality build and picking up a greatsword with a decent moveset to trudge through the game with. I've got my longsword attuned to fire and it's working pretty nicely. You think the sword would be worth switching to, or should I just use my Fire Longsword until I run across a greatsword weapon?

I did, then ran Q&A for the |OT| for the second half of the first one and all of the second one, cause people asked a lot of questions in it :x

DS isn't a hard series. It plays different from others. A series where you can repeat similar tactics or be patient to consistently win is not a series I'd consider hard...

And here I thought we had some new plot, but nope, glitches, all the glitches.

wow your dick must be HUGE

Kazaam

If you didn't find the previous games difficult, most likely you won't find this game hard and punishing either except maybe for a couple of bosses and maybe an area or two depending when you decide to tackle those. Even then given your history you might find those just a tad extra challenging (instead of straight up difficult).
Hope you'll still enjoy the game..

So, some non-spoiler impressions after putting in a 12 hour day.

I'm playing on PS4. The performance is downright awful in some areas. Once I got to a few of the more open places, I've had the framerate tank really low. Only once it got me killed when a bunch of enemies showed up, but it has been fine for the most part. I'd say it runs worse than bloodborne, but I haven't noticed the frame pacing issues bloodborne had.

The music is top notch, absolutely fantastic. Up there with Demon's Souls.

Weapon variety is very good. I had so many weapons when I sold all my junk before I logged out, maybe 15+ unique weapons.

Armor. same thing, I have about 8 sets of armor now.

Bosses seem somewhat creative? A few were fun, others really boring.

Level pacing is DREADFUL. I'm currently level 39 and it's taking me forever to level up. I'm still getting 80-90 souls from regular enemies and it takes 10,000 souls to level up.

That being said, I'm in a place where I need to buy a lot of things, so maybe it'd be better if that wasn't the case.

Movement and control feels superb. Love the weapon arts. Miracles seem fine defensively.

Lots of secrets, some that made me smile. Check everywhere. I missed an entire area that took me 30 minutes to complete that was almost entirely hidden, I've missed that.

Lots of tasteful nostalgia.

Overall very happy, especially considering I'm on project break from work until Monday.

Ah. Was planning on using a quality build and picking up a greatsword with a decent moveset to trudge through the game with. I've got my longsword attuned to fire and it's working pretty nicely. You think the sword would be worth switching to, or should I just use my Fire Longsword until I run across a greatsword weapon?

stick with the fire longsword if that is your goal, it will serve you well early on.

Wow, I can already tell I'd love this game so much more than the other Souls games... but I'm having more difficulty with it actually working than I've ever had with a PC game in honestly the last 5+ years. Its crashing constantly, freezes every time it saves, sometimes the movement input gets stuck only for the character and I have to restart the game, etc. Its really a shame. I was wondering if my RAM might be low (I only have 6GB) but the minimum RAM is 4GB so that should be fine, and I've literally had 0 issues with much more demanding games (like Witcher 3 most recently). Hopefully they'll patch some of the issues up soon.

Tenebrous

Fuck the
Crystal Sage
boss. I'm like, "oh, this is easy... Oh... OH!" Still,
I would've taken it first time if the frost throwing ones weren't so hard to hit.

Been playing around with a fun build: Butcher's Knife, Knight Slayer Ring. I'm level 19 so I can invade High Wall and Settlement..
Guard breaks for days

Kazaam

I think this happens to decrease loading time when entering this location.
This was confirmed to be a bug?

My mistake... I didn't mean straight up bug, but more like it's purpose is the one you described as well (loading the area). However, for me at least, the fog at the main entrance always seemed to bug out compared to the one upstairs that would vanish quite quickly.

Soulflarz

Banned
If you didn't find the previous games difficult, most likely you won't find this game hard and punishing either except maybe for a couple of bosses and maybe an area or two depending when you decide to tackle those. Even then given your history you might find those just a tad extra challenging (instead of straight up difficult).
Hope you'll still enjoy the game..

Oh, okay.
I love souls though ^_^
The combat and world design is really satisfying

Okay, in the
forest
, I had a laugh at
me killing enough crabs that their parent came along to say no.
It's like attacking chickens in Zelda.
...it died, can I cook it :3

Dubz

Woah amazing, only 35 mins, didnt even go into that first hub area after the first boss (sooooooo glad I picker pyromancer when fighting him) went on a detour, fought a tough enemy - GOT MY FAVORITE WEAPON CLASS IN THE GAME (he dropped a
uchigatana
which is the class of weapon I like to unlock as soon as possible in a DS game, as well as a bunch of cool other loot

Pyromancer served me well, killed him first time - I was nervous of the fight after seeing a ton of blood pools beforehand (and getting 2000 souls means I guess he was supposed to be tough?) as he couldnt withstand pyro flames

Man great game, graphics are so nice. Its great to see a 60 fps dark souls with graphics that are targetted to new gen consoles versus old (PC all maxxed at 1080p)
That guy fell off the cliff for me and dropped nothing. Kinda want to restart.

KingKong

wait where is this katana guy you guys are talking about? I thought I explored pretty thoroughly but besides the npcs all I found was the locked building outside

Kazaam

Think somebody posted it before, but what is the way you can do to not have to buy the
tower key
?

If you mean
the tower from Firelink Shrine
, I don't think there's an alternative route. There's a possibility of getting on the lower part of the roof and getting some goodies but that won't give you access to
the bell tower

Beat some
big fucking demon thing, think it was called a Host of Embers? At the base of the giant's tower in the Undead Settlement.
Holy shit that was TERRIFYING until
my boy jumped in

Siegward, you are my hero forever.

All these posts look like classified FBI documents, too. I love it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Pryromancy + Dex build still a fun way to go? Any major watch outs while building character? Havent kept up with patches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom