• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Here was my playstyle in Bloodborne:

Big ass sword, lots of Skill (DEX) and Strength. What should my build here be? I wanna wield a big ass sword.

Just pump hp, end and str. Lots of weapon options for that in 3 and it seems like the best build anyway.

I love how dying doesn't decrease health anymore!

That was one of the worst design decisions in history in DS2! Now I am having way more "fun" dying and trying stuff like I should be.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is this game like Bloodborne where every weapon, and I do mean *every* weapon, is viable end-game or is it like typical RPGs where the weapons found/purchased later are much better than early weapons?

MUnited83

For you.

That was one of the worst design decisions in history in DS2! Now I am having way more "fun" dying and trying stuff like I should be.

Considering how many humanity they threw at you and that you could fix it just by beating a boss in another person's game, it really wasn't much of a issue at all.

Jobbs

Banned
I assume so from what I've seen

~5hr in? Lemme check the wiki

okay, I did everything in the first 4 areas, in the 5th
the forest
according to the common route thingy

in my opinion it started getting pretty tough
in the cathedral of the deep and the poison swamp

later things get considerably harder still

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wait, where's katana guy? I must've missed him.

Guessing this is the one outside of firelink? He's on the right side if you're leaving from the bonfire.

Doesn't the fire gem make it so that you can't scale the weapon with dex or str? How does it work exactly?

It reduces scaling but early game it's a bigass boost, which makes it a great starter.

There are gems that remove these as well so you aren't really stuck with it later.

Doesn't the fire gem make it so that you can't scale the weapon with dex or str? How does it work exactly?

yes, but early on it gives a very nice damage bonus that you just wont get from scaling for quite a while. Also you can level health early on this way instead of pumping str/dex for damage.

Fucking hell man. Unable to summon anyone! Are the servers fucked?

I could summon two guys but got lots of "unable to summon" errors inbetween.

Not sure if the game is using Steam servers. The Steam ports are opened in my router. Maybe there are additional, game specific ports we can open.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, shit. The Steam store page has Japanese listed as a supported language, but the option is nowhere to be found :(

Oh well, I'll play in English.

Vire

Guessing this is the one outside of firelink? He's on the right side if you're leaving from the bonfire.

It reduces scaling but early game it's a bigass boost, which makes it a great starter.

There are gems that remove these as well so you aren't really stuck with it later.

yes, but early on it gives a very nice damage bonus that you just wont get from scaling for quite a while. Also you can level health early on this way instead of pumping str/dex for damage.

Thank ya'll very much!

Pikelet

Is this game like Bloodborne where every weapon, and I do mean *every* weapon, is viable end-game or is it like typical RPGs where the weapons found/purchased later are much better than early weapons?

I can't speak to Dark Souls 3 specifically, but in 1 & 2 the vast majority of weapons are never really superseded by something new that you pick up. I would assume that this one will be similar.

MUnited83

For you.
I could summon two guys but got lots of "unable to summon" errors inbetween.

Not sure if the game is using Steam servers. The Steam ports are opened in my router. Maybe there are additional, game specific ports we can open.

I think that it might, at least to a degree, that the game is so active that you're trying to summon people that have already been summoned so it errors out? How's the situation on PS4/X1?

Persona7

Banned
Fucking hell man. Unable to summon anyone! Are the servers fucked?

I dropped out once but otherwise it has been extremely smooth. Could be a different server having issues or maybe router/pc networking issues? My friend seems to be having some issues though so it's probably just server overload.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

I finished the game with a heavily upgraded katana I got 2 hours into the game, so that should give you a good idea on viability.

I think that it might, at least to a degree, that the game is so active that you're trying to summon people that have already been summoned so it errors out? How's the situation on PS4/X1?

During peak hours in Japan, I had issues with summoning people. Lots of "could not summon", sometimes even "could not be summoned".

That said, it was usually a shortlived issue, and fairly smooth. At least the West has functioning servers right now! When the game first came out in Japan, the servers were totally down for the first week.

But it does decrease your health. 1 big chunk and that's it.

No it doesn't. Being enkindled gives you MORE than your max health. Your normal state is not being enkindled.

It's semantics, and it really doesn't matter in the end, but you're actually getting extra HP in enkindled status, rather than losing part of your health bar when not enkindled.

Jobbs

Banned

it's like any souls game in that most weapons you find are viable if upgraded. some may be generally better than others but most things can be used.

Hypron

No, early game weapons are very good as well. You tend to find more weapons with exotic and cool move sets later on in the game but they are not outright better (most of the time), just different.

So far I've only found the attack to remove DS1 style walls. I haven't seen the DS2 kind yet

There are no DaS2 style walls. If attacking a wall doesn't reveal anything you've been tricked :p

Soulflarz

Banned
Uh, was the
Crystal Sage
boss a joke fight? I walked in there with 2/3rds HP and no flasks and left with 40%.

...The hell? New pinwheel?

What button activates Illusory walls? I keep seeing comments about them but nothing happens when I press A or attack it.

Shit I'm going to miss all of these

Hypron

Uh, was the
Crystal Sage
boss a joke fight? I walked in there with 2/3rds HP and no flasks and left with 40%.

...The hell? New pinwheel?

Pretty much. Although, it's more deadly than pinwheel because it actually does decent damage if you get hit.

soldat7

Dark Souls 2 lifted that penalty from Demon's Souls. I'll miss it, actually.

nikos

Any advice for a class that has quick combat? I don't like feeling slow and/or heavy. Assuming Assassin is the way to go for this.

On the other hand, how are magic classes in these games? Hard to play, or viable?

Also, any build advice for the suggested class would be much appreciated.

JimmyJones

Banned
I chose the gold coins as my starting gift to try and get more items. I've run out of them now though. What is the best way to get all of the armor/weapon sets? Just farm until I get the gold serpent ring later?

Finalow

So you're good at video games. It's still a very hard game. A lot of people would fail to beat the first boss, even though I consider it easy. Also, you've still put over a hundred hours into it. You better be good.

I also doubt anyone platinumed bloodborne "half asleep".
I platinumed Bloodborne using my feet and blindfolded, u jelly breh?

it wouldn't be a Souls game thread if there weren't people bragging and making dumb statements like ''this game is 2ez guyz, haven't died yet ..,,'' ''i killed all the boss on my 1st try lul do you even light those bonfires man''. for some reason it's hard to grasp that it might feel easier just because you played all the previous games in the series and got used to its tricks and gimmicks.

from what I understand he starts at SL1 with 10 in everything, making it the best class for min maxing.

other classes may give you an easier time at the outset though due to their gear/spells, especially the knight and herald, both of which start with good shit

I actually hate the knight this time. The first boss is damn fast with that armor on and I've never been a fan of sword and shield. Pretty tempted to start a new save tomorrow as a deprived to be honest since I can get enough gear to get me going in the first half hour easily. I always roll knight usually but this time I had to drop the gear and basically go naked to actually do any good, so it feels like a waste in hindsight.

12BoM

So i picked sorcerer... what stats should i invest in? Are sorcerers exclusively magic users or can i make some sort of combo of magic/phys?

TitusTroy

when launching the game for the first time a message came on-screen stating that the game would be patched to- app version 1.03, Regulation version 1.02...but they both actually show up as 1.03...is this normal or a bug?

Mupod

ran into a lothric knight, learned how to parry him and farmed the shit out of him for his set...took a while but got his sword too. It has pretty much the same moveset as the balder side sword so I dumped my titanite into it. Still weaker than my fire longsword for now but hey whatever. I also have a ballin cape now.

intentionally sat in ember form the entire time and didn't get invaded or anything. Guessing this will be like my DS2 playthrough where those don't show up until later on.

edit: also you know it's balder side sword 2.0 when it takes 23532352 kills to get one to drop then you get another one each time you kill that enemy and don't need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom