• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I've been holding off on picking up DS3 until I at least finished the DS2 DLC, which I did yesterday, so I think I'm going to grab the game tonight. However, I'm a bit of a weird case since, unlike pretty much everyone, I really liked the base DS2 game and really disliked the DLC. I found the high number of enemies in the base game to be relatively manageable considering I could generally do decent damage to them. However, the DLC areas were filled with high poise, high health, high damage enemies that were a complete slog to get through. Just getting from the second to third bonfires in the Sunken King DLC took multiple hours, since you had navigate tight, closed quarters that were filled with invincible ghosts, poison melee attackers, and dark sorceresses.

Is DS3 more like base DS2 or its DLC? I thought DS2's difficulty was just right whereas the DLC just seemed excessively difficult.

Skii

Just realised the Abyss Watcher's theme is quite similar to "Return to Slumber" in Demon's Souls. I really enjoyed that fight and music plays into that.

I think DS3 has emulated the epic/melancholy vibe that Demon's music had really well (so far :p)

Rizzi

Which charge up forward stab is the one he's currently using? Is it the throw that seems to have 360 degree tracking? Is it the full room charge? Who knows!

LiK

Just realised the Abyss Watcher's theme is quite similar to "Return to Slumber" in Demon's Souls. I really enjoyed that fight and music plays into that.

I think DS3 has emulated the epic/melancholy vibe that Demon's music had really well (so far :p)

i feel like Miyazaki and FROM really brought back a lot of Demon's into this game. lots of little callbacks.

I know he' s supposed to be easy but I just can't fucking beat
Wolnir
, I just can't.
He's a total bitch until he summons his lackeys and there are 5/6 of those sword wielding assholes on me.
I just don't get it, I've tried so many times and kind of gave up for right now. This boss is actually making me feel Souls fatigue right now, I don't seem to have the will power or care enough to continue. I'll come back when the NiOh demo expires.

Are you
destroying his gold bracelets? That is the fast way to kill him. When I fought him I didn't even see his other moves because that kills him so fast.

Kotaku's Patrick Klepeck ran an article discussing the poise stat.

jbfu8riio6z6ji79bgci.gif

I definitely thought something was off when playing since this is my souls play style (boost equip load a lot and wear the heaviest armor I can without fat rolling. also always wearing Havels ring, which made me super happy it was back in 3) I wonder if From will patch this or address it at all?

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
I guess most know it by now but for those who don't: If you are looking for a good soul farming spot,
the 3 winged knights on the roof at the grand archives
give 13,000 souls each. Starting at the bonfire, killing them and teleporting back to the bonfire takes me around 2 minutes, so that's almost 200,000 souls every 10 minutes. The great thing is they also always drop either a large titanite shard or a titanite chunk.

Which charge up forward stab is the one he's currently using? Is it the throw that seems to have 360 degree tracking? Is it the full room charge? Who knows!

Just roll forward into him when he does that attack. Either one leaves an opening for a quick hit or 2.

Also, just stay out of range of his regular swipe attacks the whole time in phase 2. His ranged/close-the-distance attacks are much easier to dodge and have longer recovery times.

Are you
destroying his gold bracelets? That is the fast way to kill him. When I fought him I didn't even see his other moves because that kills him so fast.

I keep
destroying the right hand (from the player's view) bracelets without even getting hit. I just cannot get near the damn left hand, it's always in the mist which kills me within approximately 4/5 seconds each time. I can't tank the mist and just rush in for a few hits or anything, it never works.

Basically I destroy the right hand and just stand there evading aimlessly afterwards because that fucking hand never comes out properly. The he starts summoning hordes and it's over.

gk1225

Neo Member
Hi would anyone like to help me boost Vertebra Shackles? I'm on PS4, PSN: gk1225 and I have been trying to get them through farming and it is just not going well. Thanks!

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
SL 58 and the AF covenant is so active I cannot climb the ladder out of the place where you join without being summoned to join

Also, what is the item that causes enemies in your game to attack invaders?

Venfayth

SL 58 and the AF covenant is so active I cannot climb the ladder out of the place where you join without being summoned to join

Also, what is the item that causes enemies in your game to attack invaders?

Seed of a Giant Tree

Mechanics/acquisition related spoilers
As far as I understand, one has a chance of spawning at the giant tree outside the entrance to the tower behind Firelink Shrine

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't mind the poise change at all since I was always a light armor guy but they should reduce the weight of gear across the board to compensate.

And so I can maximize fashion without Havel's ring.

I keep
destroying the right hand (from the player's view) bracelets without even getting hit. I just cannot get near the damn left hand, it's always in the mist which kills me within approximately 4/5 seconds each time. I can't tank the mist and just rush in for a few hits or anything, it never works.

Basically I destroy the right hand and just stand there evading aimlessly afterwards because that fucking hand never comes out properly. The he starts summoning hordes and it's over.

His
left hand is harder to hit in general. Personally, when I did it and jolly cooperated with others, I always went left first. Get it out of the way before he starts pulling out his bullshit.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Should I install patch on ps4? I read last night in here that it caused framerate and online issues is that still true?

I definitely thought something was off when playing since this is my souls play style (boost equip load a lot and wear the heaviest armor I can without fat rolling. also always wearing Havels ring, which made me super happy it was back in 3) I wonder if From will patch this or address it at all?

I just found the ring myself last night. I feel like I don't suck now with my +5 heavy dark sword and heavy shield.

Artdayne

You're probably too low for that boss.

"Guys, this game isn't Demon's Souls 2 enough. How can we make it more like Demon's?"
"I know. Disable poise, make all heavy armours useless!"
"Perfect!"

:D

This is really stupid. They've given Dark Souls 3 the illusion of build variety but heavy armor is pretty terrible.

Dimmle

The Poise mystery is baffling. On one hand, there's no way it's an oversight. On the other, why would they intentionally leave in dozens of references to Poise and keep the stat visible if they decided poise isn't appropriate for DS3's more aggressive play?

Skii

i feel like Miyazaki and FROM really brought back a lot of Demon's into this game. lots of little callbacks.

Yeah it feels like the combat is at a similar speed to Demon's and the bosses are as aggressive as they are in Demon's (especially Abyss Watchers!). I think Bloodborne really helped Miyazaki and From recapture the absolute tension you get from Demon's and some of Dark Souls. Never got that with DS2 personally.

Ferr986

I've been holding off on picking up DS3 until I at least finished the DS2 DLC, which I did yesterday, so I think I'm going to grab the game tonight. However, I'm a bit of a weird case since, unlike pretty much everyone, I really liked the base DS2 game and really disliked the DLC. I found the high number of enemies in the base game to be relatively manageable considering I could generally do decent damage to them. However, the DLC areas were filled with high poise, high health, high damage enemies that were a complete slog to get through. Just getting from the second to third bonfires in the Sunken King DLC took multiple hours, since you had navigate tight, closed quarters that were filled with invincible ghosts, poison melee attackers, and dark sorceresses.

Is DS3 more like base DS2 or its DLC? I thought DS2's difficulty was just right whereas the DLC just seemed excessively difficult.

Game is easier than DS2 dlc. Its like base but super speed up.

J-Rod

I keep

The two-handed fist smash is the only move I know of that leaves the single band arm really open. You might can find a sweet spot that baits him into it. I like to get the single banded arm out of the way first. You may need a weapon with longer reach because it is usually right on the edge of his death cloud as you mentioned.

Demon's Souls had plenty of build variety without poise.

I don't miss poise TBH... but I guess I'm in the minority here.
I don't really miss poise either (since I never bothered to make a poise-oriented build), but it's still baffling to have it as a wasted stat. It and weapon balance are sure signs that they didn't have time to properly play test the game balance and are going to have to do frequent regulation updates down in the following months.

Any tips for gear to use with the
Nameless King
? It takes me a long time to get past phase 1 despite knowing all the attacks simply because my Dark Sword +9 can't reach the dragon head quite often and any Greatsword I've tried seems no better, just even harder to get any hits in.

I already use some
lightning resistant armor and the lighting resistance ring
. Usually by the time I get to phase two I get taken out pretty quickly since his hits do a shitload of damage.

What worked for me was the
Undead Set (Abyss Watcher's), Chaos Blade
and fighting him at medium distance. And I perfected the first phase in a way that always cost me from 0 to 4 estus tops.
Took me more than 20 attempts to beat him tho...

Edit: The best moment to hit him is when
he makes his air dragon strike, easy to dodge and he stays vulnerable after that

MilkBeard

I don't really miss poise either (since I never bothered to make a poise-oriented build), but it's still baffling to have it as a wasted stat. It and weapon balance are sure signs that they didn't have time to properly play test the game balance and are going to have to do frequent regulation updates down in the following months.

Like every Souls game, then.

I remember in the launch DS2 days, people were complaining that poise was broken there too. Not sure if it was every fixed, people just got used to it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
If I killed (NPC enemy spoiler)
Havel the Rock when he was summoned by a bell enemy and got his hammer and shield
, Can I get double the gear if I kill him again later on?

laxu

Was fighting the
Nameless King
once again and was doing well until my controller decided to turn off without warning. :(

I remember in the launch DS2 days, people were complaining that poise was broken there too. Not sure if it was every fixed, people just got used to it.

Poise was never as useless in DS2 as people let on. It was still kind of useful to have, but it felt like it was a bit of an excessive recoil from Dark Souls 1's OP poise.

If we could just get Dark Souls 1's poise back but adjusted accordingly, like don't let people poise through 2 handed Ultra Great weapon attacks unless they have like 50+ poise (since [armor set]
full Havel
doesn't even get you to 40 poise), that'd be great.

In meantime, my max poise (83.76 poise, I think) build and I will be waiting.

IIRC Poise was functional in Dark Souls 2, but it was much harder to stack than in Dark Souls 1.

LiK

Yea, Souls games always get major patches and changes after release. FROM is really good at listening to the community. If you look up the games at launch and what they patch to make the games more accessible, it's pretty impressive.

For anyone new to the series, Look at all the changes to DkS1 they did.
http://darksouls.wikia.com/wiki/Patch_Information

The Boat

Also makes enemy human NPCs way too easy to deal with. They stagger with every single hit so you can just keep hitting them until you run out of stamina if you have a fast weapon. Even
Havel
can just be spammed like that. :/

Pretty sure they don't get staggered with every hit, assuming that by human you mean anything humanoid.

Demon's Souls had plenty of build variety without poise.

I don't miss poise TBH... but I guess I'm in the minority here.

I only miss it in that it gives heavy armor and different armors in general a different feel and reason to exist aside from looks. I personally still normally only use lighter armor so I didn't even realize poise was broken since it was acting in the way I expected it to with the armor I was wearing.

If I killed (NPC enemy spoiler)
Havel the Rock when he was summoned by a bell enemy and got his hammer and shield
, Can I get double the gear if I kill him again later on?

If you kill the unsummoned one later on you can get his armor from where the stray demon was on top of the broken bridge earlier in the game. Also he is guarding a pretty good treasure.

Rocketz

Just started NG+. I grinded out some lvls so I can apply a few different buffs to my Greatsword and I've basically cleared everything else out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom