• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimmle

Demon's Souls had plenty of build variety without poise.

I don't miss poise TBH... but I guess I'm in the minority here.

It provides more incentive for heavy builds but poise does kinda let you blow off a lot of bosses in DS1 and circumvent any necessity for strategy or execution in many cases.

JDB

Banned
Pretty sure they don't get staggered with every hit, assuming that by human you mean anything humanoid.
No, I mean the actual human enemies like the Uchigatana wielder at the Firelink Shrine. I'm not a 100% sure if all of them stagger with every single hit, but either way it's way too easy to stagger them.

LiK

It provides more incentive for heavy builds but poise does kinda let you blow off a lot of bosses in DS1 and circumvent any necessity for strategy or execution in many cases.

Part of the fun, imo. After dodging and rolling and shielding in NG, returning in NG+ to kick major ass by taking the blows was great. YOLO'd 4 Kings in full Havel Armor and I laughed my ass off wrecking them.

SDR-UK

After I collect two more rings, I just need Proof of Concords to get the platinum. Sadly the Covenant is still broke. So I'll be farming for days.

MilkBeard

There was always a joke stat in Souls games. Now it's poise! lol.

Although, doesn't it affect how your actual attack animations hold through damage? The Kotaku gifs only show the Havel guy standing there, not attacking until the end.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
In other words, poise helps DSP beat the game.

I therefore say, poise is bad. :D

But in all seriousness, it's true that it's kind of lame how useless heavy armours are without poise, I think there's a way to make them viable without making poise as strong as it was in DS1 though. It's weird to say, since I felt it was a bit off in DS2 as well, but I think DS2 might have hit the sweet spot after all. It's certainly more balanced in DS2 than in DS1 or 3.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Not to brag here but
3 shots to take down Nameless King with just Soul Spear and two Great Soul Arrows near the end of the first phase. Easy peasy fucking boss. Aldrich killed me like 15 times.

LiK

Not to brag here but
3 shots to take down Nameless King with just Soul Spear and two Great Soul Arrows near the end of the first phase. Easy peasy fucking boss. Aldrich killed me like 15 times.

I did read magic users can destroy NK pretty easily. Aldrich wasn't too bad for STR guys.

zewone

Not to brag here but

Magic makes him super easy. I found this out in my NG+ run.

In other words, poise helps DSP beat the game.

I therefore say, poise is bad. :D

But in all seriousness, it's true that it's kind of lame how useless heavy armours are without poise, I think there's a way to make them viable without making poise as strong as it was in DS1 though. It's weird to say, since I felt it was a bit off in DS2 as well, but I think DS2 might have hit the sweet spot after all. It's certainly more balanced in DS2 than in DS1 or 3.

The only reason I honestly wear heavy armor in DS3 is for fashion reasons. When I am PvPing I want to look fabulous.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Not to brag here but
Haven't reached The Nameless King on my mage yet, but I wrecked Aldrich with Great Chaos Fireballs. Sorcery seemed really weak though (hadn't obtained Soul Spear yet either).

One thing I noticed though is that the Crown of Dusk doesn't help with pyromancies. So Aldrich's magic attacks wrecked me the first time because that crown makes your sorceries stronger but also make you weaker to magic damage. I took off the crown and kept using pyros and he was cake.

Poise does do something. It affects how easily youre staggered, if at all, at the end of rolls.

I feel like From was going to have Poise work like Dark Souls 1 but when they started implementing Weapon Arts they dropped it.

Theres a reason all heavy weapons now have hyper armor and the Weapon Art of Talismans and some weapons has to do with Poise.

They probably developed the idea of weapon arts on top of the Ds1 systems and simply switched poise to off in the code.

I dont feel like having poise would hurt the game in anyway if implemented correctly. This game has more stats than Ds1 and Equip Load and Endurance are separate which means people cant just up 1 stat and get the benefit of 2 anymore. Heavy investment is needed to use a Fast Rolling poise build in this game, which means less points in Health and Damage.

Some suggestions.

• Have poise affect whether some attacks knock you down or simply stagger you.
  • Heavy weapons should all have at least 1 strong attack that ignores poise, so people cant simply walk through all your attacks and combo you to death
  • High equip load should mean slower stamina recovery. More tiers are necessary than the 30 and 70 breakpoints. Dark Souls 2 did this well.
  • High equip load should have noticeable effect on roll distance. Right now its negligible. Again DS2 did this well
  • Low poise should work how it does now. Two swings and you can roll away. To prevent those annoying Ds1 stunlocks.

The only problem with these suggestions is how it would work with the Hyper Armor system they have in place for so many weapons. Perhaps if you reach a certain threshold of poise and are using a weapon with Hyper Armor, your poise stat takes over and determines staggering instead of the weapon you use?

Also this is coming from a PVP perspective. Poise would likely trivialize the game in terms of PVE. Its a tough egg to crack for From. Its easy to see why they would go the simple route of Hyper Armor and no poise.

The Boat

No, I mean the actual human enemies like the Uchigatana wielder at the Firelink Shrine. I'm not a 100% sure if all of them stagger with every single hit, but either way it's way too easy to stagger them.

Even then, I don't think every hit staggers. I don't know, I don't feel a lot of difference from other Souls as a whole, you always could kill loads of enemies in once combo thanks to stagger if you have enough stamina or damage output. On the other hand, yeah, if the poise stat is useless in enemies as well, fighting heavy armored humans should make staggering harder.

MilkBeard

Yeah, there was no difference between the full havel and the lighter armor that I usually wear when I just tested it. I wonder what it actually DOES affect.

Menome

I've had almost no problems with summoning/being summoned in 80 hours of gameplay and now I'm facing the NK, suddenly I start getting the 'Unable To Summon' and inability to use bonfires/quit the game bug.

zewone

I've had almost no problems with summoning/being summoned in 80 hours of gameplay and now I'm facing the NK, suddenly I start getting the 'Unable To Summon' and inability to use bonfires/quit the game bug.

I hear people get summoned here so fast that it causes this issue because you're seeing signs that have already been used. It's a very popular co-op area.

Sullichin

Haven't reached The Nameless King on my mage yet, but I wrecked Aldrich with Great Chaos Fireballs. Sorcery seemed really weak though (hadn't obtained Soul Spear yet either).

One thing I noticed though is that the Crown of Dusk doesn't help with pyromancies. So Aldrich's magic attacks wrecked me the first time because that crown makes your sorceries stronger but also make you weaker to magic damage. I took off the crown and kept using pyros and he was cake.

Gotta stack pyro damage with witches ring + swamp ring + fire clutch ring.

3 ring slots just for that. Kind of annoying

Menome

I hear people get summoned here so fast that it causes this issue because you're seeing signs that have already been used. It's a very popular co-op area.

As soon as I posted that, I got a positive summon. The power of GAF at work.

Still died, of course.

Aurongel

This explains why my tank character is constantly staggered by just about every enemy in the game. Meanwhile the knights at
Upper Lothric
give exactly zero fucks about their poise/stamina.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Gotta stack pyro damage with witches ring + swamp ring + fire clutch ring.

3 ring slots just for that. Kind of annoying
Well, if you're using sorcery, gotta stack Young Dragon, Bellowing Dragoncrest, and Magic Clutch rings. And hopefully Sage's Ring too.

And my mage is doing the
Lords of Hollows
quest line (wish I had picked a different build to try that thing but it's too late now :p) so I have to sacrifice a ring slot to not look horrible. xD

Mages are so damn dependent on rings compared to melee, I feel.

Oh I forgot, last night I checked, I've Chaos Blade + 5, Dark Blade + 10, Irythill Sword + 5, and
Abyss Watcher's Sword
+ 10 yet I don't have the trophy for leveling any weapon at max. What am I missing?

Some people have no shame. Was doing some sunbroing at
Dragonslayer Armor
and the Host summons 3 phantoms. Whatever, do what you want I guess, but when we enter the boss fight he just runs and hides in a corner while the 3 of us take him out. I don't get it, why even play the game if you're not going to participate in it.

LiK

-_-

Anyway, I don't plan to get the platinum so it's not that relevant but caught my attention. Thanks tho.

probably glitched. you can try maxing out another sword you like. just needs to be the one with Titanite shards. the Twinkling and Scales don'r work which is lame.

probably glitched. you can try maxing out another sword you like. just needs to be the one with Titanite shards. the Twinkling and Scales don'r work which is lame.

Mmm I don't know if I have any other Titanite Slab to maximize another weapon... probably not. Either way I'm sure I did maximize a weapon with Shards... I'll check later today. Thx!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Some people have no shame. Was doing some sunbroing at
Dragonslayer Armor
and the Host summons 3 phantoms. Whatever, do what you want I guess, but when we enter the boss fight he just runs and hides in a corner while the 3 of us take him out. I don't get it, why even play the game if you're not going to participate in it.
Yeah I don't get it.

I once got summoned to help two dudes fight [DLC spoilers]
Laurence
in Bloodborne. They stood back as I did the heavy lifting.

(Then they later added me and invited me to some chat and kept gushing at how amazing I was and how cool my weapon was and blah blah blah. It was... a bit embarrassing to be honest...)

Dimmle

Part of the fun, imo. After dodging and rolling and shielding in NG, returning in NG+ to kick major ass by taking the blows was great. YOLO'd 4 Kings in full Havel Armor and I laughed my ass off wrecking them.

Oh, Poise was absolutely essential to me on my first run of Dark Souls back when I was a mere Soulsbabe. I definitely used it as a crutch for select bosses and it is very satisfying.

Not to brag here but

wowowowowowow

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
started my NG+. Recked Gundyr, it was hilarious. then recked the uchigatana npc. REVENGE MOTHERFUCKERS!

Sullichin

Tonight I will beat A
byss Watchers
on my sl1. Got pretty far. I can do it.
Pontiff Sulyvan
is going to kick my ass though.

mephixto

Banned
I think poise works only during the attack animation or rolling, I been using heavy weapons that have long animations, the higher you have poise the less you get stagger during the animation. This works better if the weapon have stomp or perseverence. You can see the other player hitting you but that don't stop the animation even if they using heavy wepons.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
So apparently poise isn't even 100% useless and has PvP uses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpQRlXJyPoA

It works differently in PVP... but I have no idea if it actually does anything in PVE. Some say it affects hyper armor but no one knows how, and anywho I've been knocked out of UGS R1s even with a good amount of poise, even super late into the attack. It doesn't actually seem to do anything. Some attacks just have hyper armor, others don't. It's bizarre.

Panda Rin

Do enemies drop weapons only once? I'm trying to find a Carthus Greatsword from the Catacombs, but the dude that drops it ain't dropping it. I can't remember if I accidentally sold it or not.

Persona7

Banned
Do enemies only drop weapons only once? I'm trying to find a Carthus Greatsword from the Catacombs, but the dude that drops it ain't dropping it. I can't remember if I accidentally sold it or not.

I think that is a rare drop so keep trying. My friend was annoyed by that because it took like 20+ tries.

A little way into Lothric Castle - I see now why everyone was saying Titanite Chunks are coming your way, I upgraded my main weapon to +10 and had enough left over to upgrade my bow to cheese the dragon(s). I like these later castle areas where you re-visit an earlier area that opens up more, it's very Boletaria.

I still wish things were more open during the early game. Upgrade materials are severely limited and gated-off as are paths to take - compared to DS1 or even 2, DS3 really limits the player in where to go - and this is my only complaint tbh. I have issues with enemies and bosses who have multi-hit combos and recover fast, but I feel that's an issue with my gameplay style more than game design. The game is great but it feels so linear, in the same way Bloodborne was. If I had a couple of ways to progress at the start rather than just one, I think DS3 could easily be my favourite of the 5 games.

Dimmle

A little way into Lothric Castle - I see now why everyone was saying Titanite Chunks are coming your way, I upgraded my main weapon to +10 and had enough left over to upgrade my bow to cheese the dragon(s). I like these later castle areas where you re-visit an earlier area that opens up more, it's very Boletaria.

I still wish things were more open during the early game. Upgrade materials are severely limited and gated-off as are paths to take - compared to DS1 or even 2, DS3 really limits the player in where to go - and this is my only complaint tbh. I have issues with enemies and bosses who have multi-hit combos and recover fast, but I feel that's an issue with my gameplay style more than game design. The game is great but it feels so linear, in the same way Bloodborne was. If I had a couple of ways to progress at the start rather than just one, I think DS3 could easily be my favourite of the 5 games.

You can
kill Emma to fight Dancer and do Lothric Castle before even reaching the Undead Settlement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom