• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrano

There don't currently seem to be any changes for any of the spells, at least that I can see... what in the world did they do to make the spells "more efficient"?

Seyavesh

There don't currently seem to be any changes for any of the spells, at least that I can see... what in the world did they do to make the spells "more efficient"?

they're just gonna keep putting that in the patchnotes so the 90% of people who don't use sorcery can tell people who play sorcerers that magic has been getting buffed nonstop and that magic users should just be happy with what they have because it's 'viable' anyways

it'll probably work

My pyromancer build is such a failure and I am laughing at myself so hard for it. I never use pyromancies aside from the fire weapon buff and engage every enemy with my Uchi. I accidentally made a bad dex build.

Sounds exactly like my sorcery build! Which is now a quality build.

Cracklox

So after getting bogged down a bit with some late games bosses with my 2 hand dex dude, I restarted a pyro just to have a bit of a look. Game was beat 3 days later :)

Pretty OP for the most part, though not having a bow for most of the game made some sections tricky. Last boss was only the second one I first timed as well. Was pretty happy with that
spammed him with orbs and just kept out of range of his attacks. Nice big open arena made it easy. Melee would be a whole lot more interesting I'm sure
Also the much touted CG went down without too much fuss in 3 goes. Still yet to beat NK, but had a look at the first form, and the camera issues I constantly hear about didn't seem so bad. Plan on putting him down a little later
hopefully

Also i grabbed the ML Greatsword when I realized I had the stats to use it, and its a bit of a beast at +5 with 39 int. Hitting for about 520 and it swings pretty quick, for a big sword. I haven't put any points in endurance this run, and I can still swing 4 times 1handed on a stamina bar. Pretty sweet art too. Pretty sure this thing, along with fuck loads of dark and chaos orbs, will carry me through NG+.

I also recently discovered the joys of rapport and plan on abusing that as much as possible through NG+. Just wished it worked on more stuff. There's a few spots it would be hilarious to use but it doesn't work on who you want it to. I've only very sparingly mucked around with it though. It could also be extra amusing when invaded....

Cyborg

My pyromancer build is such a failure and I am laughing at myself so hard for it. I never use pyromancies aside from the fire weapon buff and engage every enemy with my Uchi. I accidentally made a bad dex build.

How do you make a bad DEX build?

Tarkus

I had one dude who was a GOD at parrying who nearly beat my stupid ass with BKGS for too much counter-spam. I caught him in a bad spot though by countering with a two-handed golf swing for the delayed hit timed to hit him in between parry recovery frames. If I could have seen the look on his face when he was thrown 10 feet in the air by that hit it would have been worth taking the loss for that, because that R2 is so hard to hit in PVP.

/After/ the first hit lands. I've been beaten out of hits plenty of times by short swords for this reason.
If someone lets that golf swing hit them then they deserve to be beaten.

laxu

The different fireballs are actually really good against many enemies. I've used them a lot to cheese some more annoying ones from afar. They have been the most useful in early to mid game though.

Tingle

It's not that hard. They even improved the level range in 1.04.

Improving the level range won't help at all. The issue is that nobody wants to equip the Way of the Blue covenant in the first place, so nobody will get summoned for it. Increasing the level range won't do anything, because the few Way of the Blues are already saturated at any level range.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds exactly like my sorcery build! Which is now a quality build.

Here's how to sorcery/pyro build:

1) Finish the game with a str/dex/quality build
2) Get all the necessary equipments for sorcery
3) Go to NG+, level to 100-120
4) Respec to 60 Int or 60 Faith or 40/40 for pyro
5) Congrats you now have a sorcery build without the pain of slowly making a shitty sorcery build that takes 20 hours to be good

When I made my pyro character is was just pain until I finally got Lorian's Ultra greatsword (I didn't let myself use non-fire weapons). I stuck it out with Demon's Fists for way too long and my god they are awful.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Did the Dancers Enchanted Swords finally get buffed with the last update?

psychotron

I've just checked after getting the patch on Steam and the attack rating is unchanged. I've still got 444 from a +10 Chaos Dark Sword.

Awesome! Thank you. I've put a lot of time into that sword, using a heavy gem to get it to scale with strength, and leveling mostly strength. it has around 400 attack power now at level 40 str with knights ring.

The struggle at N
ameless
K
ing
is real. Getting summoned in seconds, but so far a 0% success rate with about 7 or 8 hosts.

I don't mind, just want to help out. I could sunbro this boss for hours.

myco666

How do you make a bad DEX build?

By having base End, 16 Dex and 25 Attunement. It works but points are wasted into stuff that doesn't matter at all for the build.

The different fireballs are actually really good against many enemies. I've used them a lot to cheese some more annoying ones from afar. They have been the most useful in early to mid game though.

And that is the reason why I always 'mess up' these builds. I hate that kind of playstyle. It is not fun in anyway so I go hit the enemies in the face everytime ignoring all ranged stuff.

Kyoufu

Improving the level range won't help at all. The issue is that nobody wants to equip the Way of the Blue covenant in the first place, so nobody will get summoned for it. Increasing the level range won't do anything, because the few Way of the Blues are already saturated at any level range.

Is that really true though? If I'm going through an area embered then I would want help from invaders so I'd equip Way of the Blue. Why wouldn't you do that?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Got a quick question about Cathedral of The Deep. I've beat the boss and thought I'd pretty much cleared the area, but I went back in to kill the first Giant and...

...met Patches in onion armour. He had another gate up, making a bridge to an area I hadn't noticed and haven't reached. Of course I knew he wouldn't let me cross without hassle, that's fine, but my question is how do I get that gate back up now he's gone? Where's the lever? I've obviously missed something somewhere.

LiK

So I was in NG++ last night and started High Wall bonfire and forgot to play offline cuz I was doing my Platinum run and was immediately invaded. Summoned a guy but I managed to 2 shot the invader with my Fume USG. LOL

I think I might try to just invading people with my Fume when I'm in the mood for more DkS3. Make people work for it ;)

Mutombo

I'm not into this covenant thing, sadly. But I am getting the hang of invading. I really like invading. They're mostly playing PVE, so instead of dueling some pvp character who I always have a hard time against, I'm sometimes killing two to even three players in the game.

Taking out phantoms first, to move on to the host, and then succeeding. So much fun.

Of course, it's balls hard fighting more players, and I've died numerously to r1 spammers when I can't get my parry in.

Tingle

Is that really true though? If I'm going through an area embered then I would want help from invaders so I'd equip Way of the Blue. Why wouldn't you do that?

Because its seen as a newbie covenant (which is virtually its reason to exist), some people tend to like to solo these games, it takes a while for the blues to even be summoned, people tend to stick to their covenant (even if you are embered, you can be summoned as a Blue/Watchdog/Faithful), there is no reward for it, and you can already gank people with 2 summons if that is your thing (which summons help immediately).

I've even seen people on other sites begging people to actually equip the Way of the Blue, because nobody really wants to.

That being said, I have finished the covenant, it just took a damn long time. I came up with an easy solution for From: make the Way of the Blue members get the ears too. Just like the sunlight medals.

Edit: Also, if you are that scared of invaders, a lot of people would just go offline.

Ferr986

I felt so bad when I got invaded by someone cosplaying the dancer. He attacked me a couple of times for ~20-30% of my health in total and then I killed him in 3-4 hits.

Yeah I made a character that was going to be a Dancer Cosplay but now it's just a FTH/DEX build using that armor (and sometimes the Sunless set too).

Got a quick question about Cathedral of The Deep. I've beat the boss and thought I'd pretty much cleared the area, but I went back in to kill the first Giant and...

...met Patches in onion armour. He had another gate up, making a bridge to an area I hadn't noticed and haven't reached. Of course I knew he wouldn't let me cross without hassle, that's fine, but my question is how do I get that gate back up now he's gone? Where's the lever? I've obviously missed something somewhere.

You missed an event with Patches by not crossing the bridge when he was there. I'm not sure if you can get the bridge back, but there is a way to get to the other side without the bridge.
Hint:
you gotta get up high

It's an optional event so it doesn't really affect anything.

Dimmle

I don't understand the disparity of experiences for Blue Sentinels. I was being summoned constantly whenever I had the covenant equipped.

gaugebozo

Dunk your head in wax
- Sure why not! Oh wait, it's still there even after sitting at a bonfire and warping? Eeek! I'm sure there's a logical reason though.

Weird bonfire placement here, seems like there was a bonfire at the (lame as hell) boss, then one a few steps further outside the next area. Seems redundant.

That boss though - Nah. I guess they at least gave it a better 'lore' reason than in DS2, but it was still lame.

It stops
the hand hippos from attacking
, but I haven't tried it myself.

myco666

I don't understand the disparity of experiences for Blue Sentinels. I was being summoned constantly whenever I had the covenant equipped.

This is what puzzles me the most about this. People reporting getting constant summoning when I barely get any action with either of the covenant emblems on. No problem getting blue phantoms when using way of the blue though.

Robot Pants

I made the exact same horrible decision.
Chaos Bed Vestiges and +10 chaos weapon is getting me by though

J-Roderton

I have no idea where I'm going on high wall of whatever the hell it's called. Ended up running through a bunch of dragon fire and ended up getting eaten by a damn mimic chest in a basement. This is Dark Souls alright.

First time going through one of these games without a guide.

Tingle

I had it equipped more or less the whole game (except when I was grinding out other covenants), and I would say I got summoned every few hours or so.

And its definitely not my internet- the game performed flawlessly for me when I have been doing invasions and co-op. Also, the Aldrich Faithfuls were a non-stop summoning thing when I was in their covenant.

Dimmle

This is what puzzles me the most about this. People reporting getting constant summoning when I barely get any action with either of the covenant emblems on. No problem getting blue phantoms when using way of the blue though.

I had it equipped more or less the whole game (except when I was grinding out other covenants), and I would say I got summoned every few hours or so.

And its definitely not my internet- the game performed flawlessly for me when I have been doing invasions and co-op. Also, the Aldrich Faithfuls were a non-stop summoning thing when I was in their covenant.

These reports are so bizarre and I can imagine terribly frustrating.

LiK

I have no idea where I'm going on high wall of whatever the hell it's called. Ended up running through a bunch of dragon fire and ended up getting eaten by a damn mimic chest in a basement. This is Dark Souls alright.

First time going through one of these games without a guide.

Playing it blind is a blast. I didn't check a guide until I felt I was near the end and decided to look up how to get to the optional stuff.

Ferr986

I understand it less, with +70hours clocked with different level ranges (as low as 20 and as high as 90) and only being summoned once :(

pa22word

What is some of the best Strength weapons in the game?

Right now im using Dark Sword and Zweihander

I'm going to say Fume is probably the best, even post nerf. Hits unfathomably hard, has great range, and has 80% phys damage reduction when 2 handed. Knight Slayer ring + grass crest shield and wowzers most people will melt before it.

gaugebozo

You know the spot
where you just are about to get on the roof and there's a crossbow guy shooting at you? There's a shortcut elevator to the left of the bonfire that takes you to that point. Go out the door, but instead of dropping down, hug the ledge and go left. You'll find a ladder there.

J-Roderton

Playing it blind is a blast. I didn't check a guide until I felt I was near the end and decided to look up how to get to the optional stuff.

Yeah, I mean, I basically know how to play the Souls games, it's just the progression/where to go next stuff. Love it.

I'm sure it's explained somewhere at some point but what the hell is the blue bar I have now? Mana or something? Should I even worry about it if I'm going for a big sword user build?

Tingle

Yeah, I mean, I basically know how to play the Souls games, it's just the progression/where to go next stuff. Love it.

I'm sure it's explained somewhere at some point but what the hell is the blue bar I have now? Mana or something? Should I even worry about it if I'm going for a big sword user build?

The blue bar also works for your special attacks for physical weapons (two hand + L2). If you run out of the meter, you can do your special still, but it will be weaker and lose its special properties.

I wouldn't really rank it up if you are going pure physical, but play with it, I suppose.

pa22word

Speaking of which, I got
Seigbro to spawn on my dex character but patches
won't show up. I raised both gates and took out both giants before opening the door, would that affect anything? He popped up just fine on my NG+ character. Only difference is that I bought the key to the tower immediatly on NG+, but didn't even open the door until like the very end of the game. Maybe having the key itself is what spawns him?

Also, does anyone know what the flashing means on your cov icon when equiped with an auto summon cov? I assume nothing, because all it does is flash and flash and flash but I've got like one summon across nearly 70 fucking hours of playtime T_T

I've been playing mostly blind besides checking a progression chart occasionally to make sure I'm not missing all of the optional areas. I haven't seen an NPC in ages, haha. I'll have to do those the right way on playthrough #2 I suppose.

Ferr986

Anyone with a Flamberge, is it worth farming it? I did read it's pretty good. My Greatsword dude have the Claymore and Wolf GS but I was looking for something else that may be better.

LiK

They call it Focus Points but yea, it's for basically everything else like magic, miracles, pyro, weapon skills etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom