• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanTSC

Personally I tend to fall under the "straight swords aren't busted, greatswords just don't work anymore because you broke poise" line of thinking. Granted, Dark Sword probably needs to be knocked down a few pegs, but nerfing straight swords doesn't really fix the core problem of why straight sword users are stunlocking people with ultra greatswords to death; poise being broken is what did that.

Heh, I'm level 185 and haven't even been PVPing. I've just been using them since it works better for bosses for me than other weapon types, especially since I can buff it with Fire/Lightning/Magic/Dark/Blessed on top of the SSS's own buff and get nearly as much AR as the big weapons, while being able to swing 9 times super fast with it. 40 Str/Dex and 30 Faith atm, for reference. May bring faith to 40 for better weapon buff scaling.

Also I'd really like to dump levels into luck and hit 99 with it, just to make
Anri's
Straight Sword a complete beast, but that would probably require grinding and not just naturally playing like I have been (finished NG+, about to head into NG++). It takes at least 31 luck to hit the same AR as my SSS, may do 40 luck if NG++ gives me enough exp past how much Vit I want to go up to (70ish probably, at 32 now).

Dunk your head in wax
- Sure why not! Oh wait, it's still there even after sitting at a bonfire and warping? Eeek! I'm sure there's a logical reason though.

Weird bonfire placement here, seems like there was a bonfire at the (lame as hell) boss, then one a few steps further outside the next area. Seems redundant.

That boss though - Nah. I guess they at least gave it a better 'lore' reason than in DS2, but it was still lame.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Personally I tend to fall under the "straight swords aren't busted, greatswords just don't work anymore because you broke poise" line of thinking. Granted, Dark Sword probably needs to be knocked down a few pegs, but nerfing straight swords doesn't really fix the core problem of why straight sword users are stunlocking people with ultra greatswords to death; poise being broken is what did that.

You can't be stunlocked to death by a straight sword since regardless of poise you can always break out after the second hit, but you WILL take that second R1 if they're mashing. And if someone is dumb enough to keep mashing R1 after 2 hits, it's basically a free parry for you, since you can ALWAYS parry the third hit, even from faster weapons like the estoc, which shuts down 99% of dark sword/estoc users in PVP. UGS have the advantage of being largely unparryable 2-handed.

Cyrano

Isn't the spell and weapons changes with 1.06 calibration?
The patch is totally different, it's the 1.04 patch. Patch and calibrations are a different thing. You won't get 1.06 till the servers are online I guess.
I don't think so? The 1.05 calibration was what changed the spells, according to the patch notes. The 1.06 calibration changes seem to be relatively minor changes and mostly appear to affect online functionality.

Could be wrong, or the patch notes could be inaccurate.

pa22word

Heh, I'm level 185 and haven't even been PVPing. I've just been using them since it works better for bosses for me than other weapon types, especially since I can buff it with Fire/Lightning/Magic/Dark/Blessed on top of the SSS's own buff and get nearly as much AR as the big weapons, while being able to swing 9 times super fast with it. 40 Str/Dex and 30 Faith atm, for reference.

This also ties into poise.

The knights in Lothric are a great example of this, particularly the greatsword knights. You can roll around and slash a GS Knight to death with the dark sword in short time and still have enough stamina to mame the next enemy and roll. With a greatsword you burn a third to a half of your stamina bar for a hit and have no poise to guarantee that hit is even going to land, so why bother? I mean you're going to not only tank the hit, but loose a third of your health + a ton of stamina and have absolutely nothing to show for it. It's much simpler to just equip the dark sword or whatever +10 SS you happen to be carrying infused to heavy and waylay them.

I mean, I beat the game all the way through NG++ and used nothing but ultra greatswords because I love the way they play, but would I /ever/ tell anyone that it's a good path to take over something else? Na.

You can't be stunlocked to death by a straight sword since regardless of poise you can always break out after the second hit, but you WILL take that second R1 if they're mashing. And if someone is dumb enough to keep mashing R1 after 2 hits, it's basically a free parry for you, since you can ALWAYS parry the third hit, even from faster weapons like the estoc, which shuts down 99% of dark sword/estoc users in PVP. UGS have the advantage of being largely unparryable 2-handed.

I was largely being hyperbolic to make a point ;)

Yeah, I know how to slam people in PVP using a 2 handed UGS; been my bread and butter to a ~60-10 PVP record with BKGS :D

Poise still needs to be fixed though >.>

Cyrano

Yeah, basically this. Straight sword users are at a huge disadvantage when it comes to PvP just because you can't mash without risking a very easy parry.

Ultra-greatswords can technically be parried but the timing on them appears to be really wonky right now. I've only ever been parried once while using an UGS and the player didn't even respond in time because they had too much distance to close before I could move again.

The knights in Lothric are a great example of this, particularly the greatsword knights. You can roll around and slash a GS Knight to death with the dark sword in short time and still have enough stamina to mame the next enemy and roll. With a greatsword you burn a third to a half of your stamina bar for a hit and have no poise to guarantee that hit is even going to land, so why bother? I mean you're going to not only tank the hit, but loose a third of your health + a ton of stamina and have absolutely nothing to show for it. It's much simpler to just equip the dark sword or whatever +10 SS you happen to be carrying infused to heavy and waylay them.

I mean, I beat the game all the way through NG++ and used nothing but ultra greatswords because I love the way they play, but would I /ever/ tell anyone that it's a good path to take over something else? Na.
Attacks with ultra-large weapons still have hyper-armor, rendering need for poise kinda moot.

SeanTSC

Yeah, I tried playing with a couple Greatswords
(Firelink and Twin Princes')
and they just did not feel good. Always kept going back to my SSS. I did like playing with the BK Greataxe though.

Brohan

They are adjusting magic but not miracles? Lightning bolts are so weak right now, even with both miracle rings equipped.

And the blessed infusion could use a dmg buff aswell.

Cyrano

They are adjusting magic but not miracles? Lightning bolts are so weak right now, even with both miracle rings equipped.

And the blessed infusion could use a dmg buff aswell.
Miracles are a form of Magic, as are Pyromancies. Sorceries are also Magic, by in-game definition. Basically, if it costs FP and isn't a weapon art, it's Magic.

pa22word

Yeah, basically this. Straight sword users are at a huge disadvantage when it comes to PvP just because you can't mash without risking a very easy parry.

Ultra-greatswords can technically be parried but the timing on them appears to be really wonky right now. I've only ever been parried once while using an UGS and the player didn't even respond in time because they had too much distance to close before I could move again.

I had one dude who was a GOD at parrying who nearly beat my stupid ass with BKGS for too much counter-spam. I caught him in a bad spot though by countering with a two-handed golf swing for the delayed hit timed to hit him in between parry recovery frames. If I could have seen the look on his face when he was thrown 10 feet in the air by that hit it would have been worth taking the loss for that, because that R2 is so hard to hit in PVP.

Attacks with ultra-large weapons still have hyper-armor, rendering need for poise kinda moot.

/After/ the first hit lands. I've been beaten out of hits plenty of times by short swords for this reason.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Not all of them, and the problem to me is that it's an all or nothing situation. Like I can be on the very last frame of a 2-handed R1 with an ultra greatsword and STILL be knocked out of my attack by a goddamn rat. It's super frustrating. R2s and weapon arts tend to have a lot of hyper armor, so UGS are really good against humanoids 1v1, since you can charge an R2, and even if you trade you're going to score a knockdown, and from there you can just chain knockdowns. This works on all humanoid enemies in the game except black/silver knights.

pa22word

Not all of them, and the problem to me is that it's an all or nothing situation. Like I can be on the very last frame of a 2-handed R1 with an ultra greatsword and STILL be knocked out of my attack by a goddamn rat. It's super frustrating. R2s and weapon arts tend to have a lot of hyper armor, so UGS are really good against humanoids 1v1, since you can charge an R2, and even if you trade you're going to score a knockdown, and from there you can just chain knockdowns. This works on all humanoid enemies in the game except black/silver knights.

With UGS it seems universal to me that they all have hyper armor on R1s from successive hits onwards, when two handed at least. I bait a lot of people in PVP this way by slamming my first hit to get them to come in then hit the second one delayed for the hyperarmor and proceed to combo the hell out of them.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Has the dark sword been nerfed? It's my baby and I'd like to finish the game with her.

Even if it gets nerfed it'll still be viable probably. It just needs to not be as stupid OP as it is now.

How poise works for PVP right now doesn't bother me, I just wish for PVE it was basically like Dark Souls 1. I miss being able to just shrug off attacks.

Seyavesh

i have a +6 dark sword and it's still sitting at 300 AR so i doubt it got nerfed
other straight swords def. didn't

magic seems to be the same too so idk what the fuck they changed- tested all the missile spells and the dmg diff vs. ghsa is the same

soul greatsword dmg might be better but i can't tell based on where i am in the game for ng+ due to enemy resists (i'm used to testing on lothric knights at endgame)

found an interesting quirk w homing soulmass i didn't know about- if you cast it and slam an enemy with the immobile stuff it'll do double damage- the 700 dmg jumps to 1.4k on crabs when i roll into them with the missiles still up

Audioboxer

Where's the best place to kill Darkwraiths for the sword?

Bonfire before or at the
Abyss
boss is the only real place to do it. 2 Darkwraiths, both will even engage in combat with enemies and have their health lowered/possibly be killed for you.

You have a small chance of getting one really early from a questline, but it's a one time kill. Not that the above option isn't early, you can run there after the first main boss tbh.

Arjen

Been messing around with the irithyl rapier on NG+ It has as an AR of 395 at 40/40 that's insane for how fast the weapon is, I'm melting trough everything, especially with the lack of poise on enemies.

Arkanius

Bonfire before or at the
Abyss
boss is the only real place to do it. 2 Darkwraiths, both will even engage in combat with enemies and have their health lowered/possibly be killed for you.

You have a small chance of getting one really early from a questline, but it's a one time kill. Not that the above option isn't early, you can run there after the first main boss tbh.

False
It's farmable.

I had full Darkwraith armor + Sword before even reaching Farron Keep :)

Cyrano

/After/ the first hit lands. I've been beaten out of hits plenty of times by short swords for this reason.
It's not really after, because the first hit, while it doesn't start out with active hyper armor, definitely has active hyperarmor frames past a certain point in every UGS wind-up. For most it seems to be the point at which it's above the character's head, or roughly halfway through the swing.

This obviously makes it vulnerable to people getting in your face, but that's something you should account for anyway and try to prevent if you want to use an UGS in PvP, since that would be a bad position to be in regardless of whether poise made the start-up more invulnerable.

Mogwai

Bonfire before or at the
Abyss

Farron Keep
, probably. At the location Auidoboxer mentioned
Cheers. I'll try that. Gotta see what all the fuss is about that weapon :)

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Man what the fuck. It's just changing a 0 to a 1....

It's possible that's remnants of old Dark Souls 1/2 code. As stupid as it is in-game now I can't imagine they don't know and would surely have "fixed" it by now if they wanted to. I think we can assume it's working as intended, and the in-game description of it is just wrong.

Been messing around with the irithyl rapier on NG+ It has as an AR of 395 at 40/40 that's insane for how fast the weapon is, I'm melting trough everything, especially with the lack of poise on enemies.

i upgraded it to max and used it for a while. it's just not satisfying to me in the long run. feels like i'm destroying stuff with bee stings. kinda lame.

Seyavesh

found an interesting quirk w homing soulmass i didn't know about- if you cast it and slam an enemy with the immobile stuff it'll do double damage- the 700 dmg jumps to 1.4k on crabs when i roll into them with the missiles still up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY281WE0p1w

here's the thing i'm talking about in video form
just went to dancer real quick to do it vs. something that has more health so sorry for sloppiness but you get the idea- it's more efficient and more fun than ghsa which is a huge plus

laxu

I still don't feel wholly confident with the game yet. I played a decent amount of Bloodborne way back and I feel like in that game I felt competent at this point,dealing with trash mobs with ease. Still not there yet with this. Would people say this is a harder game? Or do I just need to git gud? xD

I've played about 150 hours of Bloodborne and it was quite a process to get comfortable with Dark Souls 3 (my first DS game). I still don't know how to parry in it and have trouble with the timing of drinking Estus because it takes so much longer than healing in BB. I think overall Bloodborne is a bit more forgiving as most enemies don't take a huge chunk of your health.

teokrazia

Beaten the final boss and explored two optional areas.
Smouldering Lake and Archdragon Peak

I had a really great time, until...

...The Nameless King.
Well, to be more accurate: The Nameless Camera :D

The patch seems to have at least fixed the auto-save micro stutter for me. Would be cool of anyone else can confirm but I've been trying to force it by closing/opening inventory, picking up items, doing gestures, reading player notes etc. but no stutter this time. Seems to be taken care of I guess.
The only micro stutters I'm getting are unrelated to saving, in places like I
rithyll
D
ungeon
which happen occiasonally there, probably due to asset loading or whatever.

Now if they could just address the nonsensical way poise is working (or rather saying NOT working) that would be good. Because the current implementation just has to be broken. It may affect hyper armor, but having more than 0.1 poise does nothing and pretty much confirms that it's actually not working as intended.

Edit: Just did some more testing now. When I'm naked I can get staggered during the last frames of my heavy weapon stance attack. When I put on some measly leather gloves that give me 1.3 poise I won't get staggered anymore during that last bit of my heavy weapon stance attack. I tried that multiple times to see if I'm not going crazy here. Wearing a whole set of the Lothric Knight armor doesn't give me any form of stagger resistance during my other attacks.

myco666

My pyromancer build is such a failure and I am laughing at myself so hard for it. I never use pyromancies aside from the fire weapon buff and engage every enemy with my Uchi. I accidentally made a bad dex build.

My pyromancer build is such a failure and I am laughing at myself so hard for it. I never use pyromancies aside from the fire weapon buff and engage every enemy with my Uchi. I accidentally made a bad dex build.
Just got to Wolnir on mine. Went almost full intel and I'm wrecking with the Crystal Sage's Rapier.

Echoplx

Wait how does the darkmoon covenant work? I can't invade and being summoned doesn't seem to do anything different.. Do I literally just have to wait around for this shit?

Kyoufu

Wait how does the darkmoon covenant work? I can't invade and being summoned doesn't seem to do anything different.. Do I literally just have to wait around for this shit?

Yes. Farm the knights in Anor Londo while you wait if you really want to rank up with Darkmoon.

pa22word

Basically that's what I have surmised about it T_T

On new patch, still no summons here for it or blue sents :/

Ferr986

I always have one of these magicbuilds going bad and end up just being buff builds in every Souls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom