• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Roderton

Cool. I usually roll all physical at least on my first playthrough, then start rocking the miracles on the next. Never was too great at balancing using both on one character.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
On my second playthrough I want to play with a Dex/Faith build.
What are some of the must have miracles for such a build? Never played Magic or Faith in any DS game so I have no idea.

pa22word

I got all of my concords through summoning from yesterday and today. lvl 100 with +10 weapon on ng+.

tumblr_inline_n9mw7knKZ91sdt272.gif

J-Roderton

On my second playthrough I want to play with a Dex/Faith build.
What are some of the must have miracles for such a build? Never played Magic or Faith in any DS game so I have no idea.

Not sure if 3 has the same miracles in it as 2 (or if they're even called miracles anymore) but the lightning spears were way fun to use. Healing ones were good, too. Awesome for co-op.

laxu

Any recommendations for infusing Washing Pole? I've tried chaos but it was pretty meh and now have dark on it and it doesn't seem much better. The katana itself is +8.

Reached NG++++ (Journey 5).

Somehow it just feels so satisfying still, and my refined Dark Sword still deals lots of damage (it somehow took down
Aldrich before he could even teleport once
) while being super stamina efficient.
Nameless King
can still go fuck himself though.

LiK

If you guys had to pick one build for a playthrough between Int, Faith, and Pyromancy which would you pick? I want to experience the best of the magic world.

Pyro is pretty powerful from what I read. Sorc seems the next most useful and Faith seems to be disappointing here. Haven't read any glowing comments about their Faith builds. Kinda surprised because it's so OP in DkS2.

Audioboxer

If you guys had to pick one build for a playthrough between Int, Faith, and Pyromancy which would you pick? I want to experience the best of the magic world.

Pyro has easiest beginning-mid game. It's a safe bet. As it scales with int/faith you'll have access to other magic. Although said magic on the damage front anyway won't be all that good as you need 50~60 int or faith for it to work.

Rizzi

Invasions in DS3 are basically pointless because of how many phantoms the host always has. Yes, 3v1 sure is balanced in the slightest. Yup. Totally.

pa22word

Reached NG++++ (Journey 5).

Somehow it just feels so satisfying still, and my refined Dark Sword still deals lots of damage (it somehow took down
Aldrich before he could even teleport once
) while being super stamina efficient.
Nameless King
can still go fuck himself though.

Are enemies damage scaling still stacking upwards?

LiK

Invasions in DS3 are basically pointless because of how many phantoms the host always has. Yes, 3v1 sure is balanced in the slightest. Yup. Totally.

It's pretty one sided now. I would call it ultimate hard mode. And even if you take out the phantoms, the host can keep summoning for help. There's no limit.

Tingle

It's pretty one sided now. I would call it ultimate hard mode. And even if you take out the phantoms, the host can keep summoning for help. There's no limit.

Yeah, I just tend to rush the host in those situations. It works surprisingly frequently, even if it is sort of obnoxious.

Also, the estus ring is a life saver in invasions- it helps even the playing field when hosts spam estus.

Seyavesh

pyro, it does damage all throughout the game and has some fun spells. the progression is p. decent

sorc is boring af and weak to boot until the very endgame where suddenly it gets okay

offensive miracles are like ds1 tier or worse and you get all the offensive spells super late so yeah that's cool i guess

It's just kind of sad when you're constantly finding these tomes that are 100% useless to you.
sorcery life is this except even worse

The Flash

Banned

1. Invade
2. Find host
3. Find host with 3 summons
4. Record
5. Equip +10 Chaos Zweihander
6. Use "Welcome" gesture
7. Destroy host and summons
8. Email clip to Sunlight Blade
9. Profit

xinek

What pyromany spells to you main?
I feel like I over rely just on fire orb

chaos
orb thing is godly. Also
dark
orb for fire resistant enemies. Supposedly, the
chaos vestiges
is the best, but it seems to me to have a longer windup or something? It's pretty good for damage, though. Buffing the raw infused sword with the fire pyromancy is AMAZEBALLS, too.

Sanctuary

1. Invade
2. Find host
3. Find host with 3 summons
4. Record
5. Equip +10 Chaos Zweihander
6. Use "Welcome" gesture
7. Destroy host and summons
8. Email clip to Sunlight Blade
9. Profit

1. Talk to a specific NPC while having 10 INT.
2. Buy Hidden Body once you unlock it (15 INT).
3. Equip Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring when you unlock it.
4. Equip Lingering Dragoncrest Ring when you find it.
5. Equip Aldrich's Sapphire (backstabs pay for the Hidden Body cost).
6. Equip Hornet's Ring and basically kill the host in a single backstab. #5 is in case you have to pick of the hired help first.

You can also alternatively make a simple shield and wear it on your back for passive FP regen while trolling at a distance.

LiK

1. Talk to a specific NPC while having 10 INT
2. Buy Hidden Body once you unlock it
3. Equip Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring when you unlock it
4. Equip Lingering Dragoncrest Ring when you find it
5. Equip Aldrich's Sapphire (backstabs pay for the Hidden Body cost)
6. Equip Hornet's Ring and basically kill the host in a single backstab

You can also alternatively make a simple shield and wear it on your back for passive FP regen while trolling at a distance.

This sounds fantastic.

Tingle

1. Talk to a specific NPC while having 10 INT
2. Buy Hidden Body once you unlock it
3. Equip Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring when you unlock it
4. Equip Lingering Dragoncrest Ring when you find it
5. Equip Aldrich's Sapphire (backstabs pay for the Hidden Body cost)
6. Equip Hornet's Ring and basically kill the host in a single backstab

Your FP gets recovered at the start of each invasion, so no need to try to restore your FP if the idea is to one-shot them.

I'm going to say Fume is probably the best, even post nerf. Hits unfathomably hard, has great range, and has 80% phys damage reduction when 2 handed. Knight Slayer ring + grass crest shield and wowzers most people will melt before it.

Thanks. Ill check that one out. Is there any other really good strength weapons? Id like to pair something smaller with a ultra great sword. I mean besides the Dark Sword

Cyrano

INT is far and away the best if you're going to try and beat the game with magic. Sorceries are bad against very few enemies and most enemies are weak to them. What's more, you get abilities which essentially act like a weapon replacement if you've got the FP for it.

That said, INT also requires you to build towards it more than any of the others. If you're FTH or Pyro you're going to build a hybrid. INT is the only one that allows you to build a class that will require relatively little weaponry outside your Staff. You will be a glass cannon if you do this on NG - no way around it.

Sanctuary

Your FP gets recovered at the start of each invasion, so no need to try to restore your FP if the idea is to one-shot them.

Right. Read my edit. You can also cheese them with a Greatbow while hidden and passively regenerating. It lasts 20s without the ring, and ~25s -26s with it. You should gain all of your FP back by the time it ends.

INT is far and away the best if you're going to try and beat the game with magic. Sorceries are bad against very few enemies and most enemies are weak to them. What's more, you get abilities which essentially act like a weapon replacement if you've got the FP for it.

That said, INT also requires you to build towards it more than any of the others. If you're FTH or Pyro you're going to build a hybrid. INT is the only one that allows you to build a class that will require relatively little weaponry outside your Staff. You will be a glass cannon if you do this on NG - no way around it.

Not really accurate. Sorcery mostly soft caps at 60, while Pryomancy can get pretty good gains up to 40/40 through the Chaos Infusion. There are only a select few enemies in the game that are resistant to fire, and for that you have Dark Fire Orb (although you may as well just use Sorcery anyway since your INT will be high enough for it). Conversely, if you're planning on playing a "Sorcery" build, you would still want to at least use either Greater Chaos Fire Orb or Chaos Bed Vestiges. There's literally no reason not to as they are two of the best boss killers in the game. Pyromancy starts out way stronger than Sorcery too. It's not as efficient, but it casts much faster and does more damage for the same tier of spell. Efficiency only matters if you don't constantly have to back dodge enemies, or run away for a long time to create space, since Miyazaki forgot this isn't Bloodborne 2.

LiK

Well to be fair, The invader does have the whole mob of enemies aswell to hide behind.

But that's what the seeds are for. I think I've seen the hosts use seeds more than I would've liked when I invaded. And sometimes they used it just to troll cuz it would be 3v1 and they'll use seeds anyway.

Cruxist

Man, people need to quit summoning 3 phantoms for some bosses. I've had more success as a lone phantom than I have with multi-phantom teams. The bosses just get so much health! Such a challenge. And if the host just chills at a safe range, we're doing so much less damage.

I'm playing as a pyromancer, and I'm really enjoying it. I can use miracles and sorceries too, but there's no reason to use damage-based ones, as pyromancies are so much stronger. If anything, I've been finding things quite easy, as I can destroy most enemies from a distance, and I've killed a lot of bosses on my first attempt. I don't think any has taken me more than three attempts, and I'm near the end.

That said, when playing as a pyromancer, you have to pretty much forgo STR and DEX completely, as you're levelling both FAI and INT. If you were to go with just miracles/FAI or sorceries/INT, then you could also level STR or DEX also.

LiK

if anyone needs help with a boss tonight on PS4, i might be up for helping out. got nothing else to do with the game now that i got Platinum. i did pretty much everything and completed all NPC quests. i know i missed some optional dialogue but i got YouTube for that.

Audioboxer

I find it hilarious that anyone defends the pvp in the game.

I still have fun, but I'm mainly PVE and not really part of the hardcore PVP scene that would bitch about anything regardless.

The way I see it is if you're invading, expect to be trolled or abused by any means possible. You're going into someones game forcefully.

If it's a PVP fight club, well, I guess you can have grievances against certain builds, but such is life some only care about winning at all costs rather than fun, experimenting or trying things out. I guess it's human nature to always search "up to date OP PVP build" and copy/paste.

Souls has always been a SP/PVE game first, PVP second.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
You know the spot
where you just are about to get on the roof and there's a crossbow guy shooting at you? There's a shortcut elevator to the left of the bonfire that takes you to that point. Go out the door, but instead of dropping down, hug the ledge and go left. You'll find a ladder there.

Cheers, will look into it tonight. This was one of those times when I literally couldn't think of any part of the area that I hadn't explored, but I knew I'd missed something.

Sanctuary

I'm playing as a pyromancer, and I'm really enjoying it. I can use miracles and sorceries too, but there's no reason to use damage-based ones, as pyromancies are so much stronger. If anything, I've been finding things quite easy, as I can destroy most enemies from a distance, and I've killed a lot of bosses on my first attempt. I don't think any has taken me more than three attempts, and I'm near the end.

That said, when playing as a pyromancer, you have to pretty much forgo STR and DEX completely, as you're levelling both FAI and INT. If you were to go with just miracles/FAI or sorceries/INT, then you could also level STR or DEX also.

IMO a Pyromancy build is the strongest PvE build until essentially the last few hours of the game, and even then it's not really "weak" as much as Sorcery finally kind of caught up. You can't really go wrong starting off as either a Pyromancer or Knight either, although if it's not your first playthrough, I'd always pick the Knight, since you can get all the stuff the Pyromancer starts with anyway relatively early, but you come with much better gear.

The best thing about being a FTH/INT build is that while you are having to split your stats, you still gain increased fire damage from either stat, and they don't have to be even to see gains either. This allows you to focus more on FTH earlier on in the game so that you can get the medium heal miracle, which is more flask efficient until you're at +3 or +4. If you don't want to use the heal, it still opens up the ability to regen off of a chime. You also need 12 FTH for quite possibly the best early to late PvE weapon in the game.
Astora's Straight Sword
has awful scaling, but extremely good base damage, so making it raw makes it out damage most every other weapon you could be using until your main stat with that weapon is at least 25, and you get it super early. This allows you to focus on VIG, INT/FTH/ATT instead, and still have an extremely good weapon.

Cyrano

Not really accurate. Sorcery mostly soft caps at 60, while Pryomancy can get pretty good gains up to 40/40 through the Chaos Infusion. There are only a select few enemies in the game that are resistant to fire, and for that you have Dark Fire Orb (although you may as well just use Sorcery anyway since your INT will be high enough for it). Conversely, if you're planning on playing a "Sorcery" build, you would still want to at least use either Greater Chaos Fire Orb or Chaos Bed Vestiges. There's literally no reason not to as they are two of the best boss killers in the game. Pyromancy starts out way stronger than Sorcery too. It's not as efficient, but it casts much faster and does more damage for the same tier of spell. Efficiency only matters if you don't constantly have to back dodge enemies, or run away for a long time to create space, since Miyazaki forgot this isn't Bloodborne 2.
And at 40/40 the damage will still be considerably less because there aren't as many pieces of equipment that buff Pyromancy. An average Great Heavy Soul Arrow will be doing about 1k damage at endgame, whereas
Chaos Bed Vestiges
will only be hitting for around 850 (worth noting that the FP cost difference between these two is quite disparate as well). This is just a result of Sorcery having more equipment pieces that buff its damage. DLC may fix this, or rebalancing.

If you're fully kitted out in Sorc gear your damage will be considerably higher, though the gains from those items will continue up until
Irithyll
at the very earliest (depending on your questing), whereas the last major upgrade for Pyro is
Smouldering Lake

As for why you wouldn't want to use Pyromancies, slots are a pretty good reason in my mind, and there will be better spells - particularly Dark spells, that will scale just fine with INT alone.

KHlover

Banned
Grr. Love hosts that summon three phantoms and then get wrecked by the boss. WHY DO YOU THINK WE'RE ALL RUNNING AWAY FROM THAT FLAMEBREATH ;-;

nOoblet16

So onion bro flaked on me.

Here's what I did

1) Meet him at the lift but not fight the fire demon with him. (If his quest was broken I wouldn't have seen him at Profound Capital later in a cell)
2) Talk to him while he is trapped in the well.
3) Get his armour back.
4) Meet him in the kitchen and toast with him.
5) Free him from his cell in Profound Capital, he gave me a slab.
6) Go kill the fire demon while I am scavenging around Undead Settlement searching for leftovers.
7) Start the Yhorm fight with a player summon...but he doesn't show up, I die. So I do it again, but without a summon but he doesn't show up still.

8) Go back to his cell, and he is sitting there telling me to be on my way and that he will be going his way soon.

Wtf?
I want the armour but I don't wanna kill mah bro for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom