• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
KREYGASM..

omg im soooo happy that fingers covenant lets you alter your apperaance.

also seriously is there a better leveling souls getting spot other than the fat bastards on the roof...

I use the serpent rings, symbol of avarice, shield of want and hornet ring and kill the red eye knight right by the Dr
agon Barracks
campfire in L
othric castle
. You can backstab him everytime, finish him off then jump back down to the the bonfire. On NG++ I get 20k + souls in about 15 secs.

neoism

I use the serpent rings, symbol of avarice, shield of want and hornet ring and kill the red eye knight right by the Dr
agon Barracks
campfire in L
othric castle
. You can backstab him everytime, finish him off then jump back down to the the bonfire. On NG++ I get 20k + souls in about 15 secs.

yea ima do the knights tomorrow for concepts... fighting those big dudes gets boring,.. at least ill get a covenant item also

web01

I know but 'do not do this problem solved ' is not idea of good game design is what I am saying. It is an easy fight once you realize its quirks but I am arguing that does not make it a well designed boss fight.

The design is the boss will air fire attack if you stay underneath it.
It is to stop you doing that. That IS the design, to stop you hiding underneath and attacking it where it cant attack you. Makes perfect sense really. Just because you do not like it doesn't make it bad design.

Get'sMad

Yeah, I've been invading for 2 hours but almost every invasion has been a 3 on 1. I get pasted.

I know, I know, git gud

I dont know where you're at in the game but get your troll on real hard in like the
Grand Archives
vs gank sqauds. its fun as hell.

Yeah, I've been invading for 2 hours but almost every invasion has been a 3 on 1. I get pasted.

I know, I know, git gud

Or go to the area after P
ontiff
. That little ledge right after him is a "designated" pvp area and you can just use your red soap stone for a bunch of 1v1s or fight clubs. Better then getting ganked if you aren't looking for it.

I know, I know, git gud

I think it's the courtyard after the P
ontiff
fight I was throwing my purple sign down, a lot of people having fighting tournaments. Picked up most of my covenant items there.

I just followed one a fellow GAFer's advice on red soaping the floor in high wall for pvp and it worked! I feel like such a badass after a streak of wins, even at a fight club scene. Now that I got what I needed I don't want to go back because I know I will just land with harder people and get my ass handed, robbing me of my pvp cred.

Just beat
Dancer

Hands down one of my favorite bosses ever in a video game. The movement, the music...oh man.

This was also my favorite boss in the game. The sound effects of those footsteps gave me the chills, I fucking loved it.

Toxi

Banned
Now that I'm past
the initial rooftop gauntlet
, Cathedral of the Deep is actually pretty awesome.

It's also fucking gigantic.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
The design is the boss will air fire attack if you stay underneath it.
It is to stop you doing that. That IS the design, to stop you hiding underneath and attacking it where it cant attack you. Makes perfect sense really. Just because you do not like it doesn't make it bad design.

Just because you like it does not make it good design either. Lets just agree to disagree.

Just because you like it does not make it good design either. Lets just agree to disagree.

My biggest problem with the fire breath is that there is no reliable way to avoid it. You could say you could anticipate it by not standing underneath, but the bird definitely pulled the fire breath from a distance too, again completely off-camera. You can take a hit with enough hp and roll away right after, but it just makes you land on the second phase with less estus, making this entire fight annoying.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
My biggest problem with the fire breath is that there is no reliable way to avoid it. You could say you could anticipate it by not standing underneath, but the bird definitely pulled the fire breath from a distance too, again completely off-camera. You can take a hit with enough hp and roll away right after, but it just makes you land on the second phase with less estus, making this entire fight annoying.

True. Infact that move is not just designed as an AOE when you are under him. He does this move even if you are on the side. One way to avoid it is to always be just in front of him ( not too close and not too far ) and keep baiting him to do those swings and that charged up lightning attack. It makes the fight easy and it works. But I cannot shake off the feeling that I am playing this way not because I made an intelligent gameplay discovery but because I do not want to deal with the awful camera.

Croyles

The reason it's good design is because it stops you hiding underneath him like he said, not because he likes it which is what you said.

Camera is annoying though yeah. Honestly it took me a few tries to figure out that standing underneath it is just a bad idea. I felt a little stupid but also elated when I just figured to stand in front instead. Sides will also trigger sometimes but I found that it was easy to tell what he was doing that way and I always had enough time to run, as opposed to underneath him.

My biggest problem with the fire breath is that you need to run away from the fire breath, in a boss arena where it is very easy to run into invisible walls and end up becoming unable to avoid it.

generic_username

The reason it's good design is because it stops you hiding underneath him like he said, not because he likes it which is what you said.

Camera is annoying though yeah. Honestly it took me a few tries to figure out that standing underneath it is just a bad idea. I felt a little stupid but also elated when I just figured to stand in front instead. Sides will also trigger sometimes but I found that it was easy to tell what he was doing that way and I always had enough time to run, as opposed to underneath him.

There are thousand ways to prevent the player from sitting under a boss and spamming R1 without resorting to preventing the player from seeing how he/she is being attacked because of the camera. This problem has been solved hundreds of times in many many boss fights in Souls and Bloodborne - footstomps (this boss does that too btw which I do not have any complaint about because I can actually see the entire foot in camera going up and coming down ), butt slam, etc.. etc.. It has been done thousand times over by lots of bosses without resorting to shitty camera .

Preventing a player from hiding underneath is good design but preventing that by having the boss go off camera and attack is bad design.

Again this is only my opinion. I feel there could have been a far more elegant solution to that issue.

Got my last ear~. After I hit 29 the summonings kind of dried up, so I just killed a few knights until the 30th dropped. Respec'd into faith, and now I get to stab things with a purplesword :D

Just have the rest of the NG+/++ rings, a single gesture, and the Mound Makers pyromancy left for my completely pointless 'completion' status.
And the other two endings I guess.

stupei

I know, I know, git gud

What's annoying me more is when they set it to like "must beat 3 phantoms" and act like they want to duel, but then they're chugging Estus to prolong each fight. How much time do you want to dedicate to just getting one?

Lots of watchdogs trying to kill me for some reason. Do Mad Phantoms count as invaders? I thought they had to kill the host, but I guess not, since they chase me around like no tomorrow.

But the absolute worst is when I come in planning to go for invaders only and the host and his massive posse decide to be dicks anyway. I stay far away from them. I wave and act friendly. I toast their successes. Then someone invades, I get them down to a sliver of health, and the other crew rolls in to steal the kill. Frustrating as hell.

Croyles

What's annoying me more is when they set it to like "must beat 3 phantoms" and act like they want to duel, but then they're chugging Estus to prolong each fight. How much time do you want to dedicate to just getting one?

Lots of watchdogs trying to kill me for some reason. Do Mad Phantoms count as invaders? I thought they had to kill the host, but I guess not, since they chase me around like no tomorrow.

But the absolute worst is when I come in planning to go for invaders only and the host and his massive posse decide to be dicks anyway. I stay far away from them. I wave and act friendly. I toast their successes. Then someone invades, I get them down to a sliver of health, and the other crew rolls in to steal the kill. Frustrating as hell.

Lol I guess this is the games way of telling you to be an asshole. YOU should be the one stealing the kills. Do it you know it feels good! Muahahaha

My biggest problem with the fire breath is that you need to run away from the fire breath, in a boss arena where it is very easy to run into invisible walls and end up becoming unable to avoid it.

Which is irrelevant to the fact that it's something you can't anticipate and is hard to avoid despite the bigass arena. It's the shittiest part of any boss in the game, no different from shitty camera bosses like beast Paarl and headless beast from BB.

ETA: errr totally misread your post as defending the design of the fight for having a big arena, soz. I might not have run into the invisible walls as much, but I did stumble onto some debris and other random shit that's scattered near said walls. Not being able to run away from those offcamera flames remains true.

Loved the music though, wish there was more harpsichord in the soundtrack.

105.Will

Just started a co-op run with some of my friends. Lothric know's not what its in for when knight Jerry Seinfeld, George Castanza, and Kramer of New York run through

It's the shittiest part of any boss in the game, no different from shitty camera bosses like beast Paarl and headless beast from BB.
Like I said, I found the camera less of a problem for those fights, because the camera for those fights are more of an annoying quirk while the camera is an actual huge part of fighting this particular boss and even seeing basic attacks and where it is moving to. It's also not nearly as hard to actually hit those bosses, while my attacks (with a washing pole that has an overhead swing, of all things) tend to whiff half the time due to how hard it is to judge positioning.

Dimmle

Hope that invader who was hiding behind
Havel
makes better friends, or at least one that doesn't turn on him with a single seed. The good news is the betrayal was so quick that it had to have been mostly painless.

Inexpressibly satisfying.

BeeDog

Managed to kill
Aldrich
on my second try after receiving hints from you guys here, thanks! The key trick I realized I needed to improve on is to always rush to the other side of the room when he respawns, dodge his close-combat moves and keep an eye out for the rain attack.

KeRaSh

Fought my way through the G
rand
A
rchives
and killed the boss on my second attempt. I really loved that fight.
Then went on to the C
onsumed King's Gardens
and U
ntended Graves
. Beat both bosses there on my first try but had NPC summons with me. I just wanted to get through there quickly so I could get to A
rchdragon Peak
which I did. Stopped there and called it a night.
Hopefully I can finish up that area during the weekend and then only the final boss is left. I wasn't sure if I could finish this in time for UC4 but it seems like everything worked out fine.

Echoplx

What the fuck is happening with the online in this game? I'm not banned, no message, can't use the circlet yet somehow my main Steam account cannot make any connections, yet as soon as I load that exact same character onto a family share account it works perfectly.

Main Steam account:
WAQw2OS.jpg

Family share account:
uCvMb8s.jpg

It happens periodically, sometimes my main account works fine for hours then suddenly I'm unable to connect to anyone for hours again. But my other account always works perfectly.

Fix your shit "A" team.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Vativydia has a new video with 15 things you might not know about DS3

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Grand Archives
is a pain in the balls. Lots of groups and those fucking
hands
that curse you. I know there's a
wax thing
somewhere that helps but I must have missed it. I'm really high up on the roofs now.
How do people miss these? There's like at least 3 pools you can dunk your head into...

Cyrano

What the fuck is happening with the online in this game? I'm not banned, no message, can't use the circlet yet somehow my main Steam account cannot make any connections, yet as soon as I load that exact same character onto a family share account it works perfectly.

Main Steam account:
WAQw2OS.jpg

Family share account:
uCvMb8s.jpg

It happens periodically, sometimes my main account works fine for hours then suddenly I'm unable to connect to anyone for hours again. But my other account always works perfectly.

Fix your shit "A" team.
I'm pretty convinced that their online team probably isn't sure what's going on either - or at least isn't telling anyone what's actually going on.

stupei

Lol I guess this is the games way of telling you to be an asshole. YOU should be the one stealing the kills. Do it you know it feels good! Muahahaha

Could also be the game reminding me to not try PVP late at night. I find that the crowd online has a lot more assholes the later at night it gets, but obviously that's purely anecdotal.

Also if it's closer to peak hours, you are a lot more likely to get hosts just killed by the enemies. That's not bad either. (Standards are fine and all, but a lady's got to get her vertebrae.)

Main Steam account:
WAQw2OS.jpg

Family share account:
uCvMb8s.jpg

Fix your shit "A" team.

I've never seen so many summon signs in all my time with the game... wowser.

Mad Phantoms are rewarded with pretty much every kill, either X phantoms or 1 host. Ideally they should kill whoever's weakest, and, if co-op, help the host up until the boss, at which point they should cash in all that trust and backstab the host for their reward.
It's a really cool covenant, conceptually. But yeah, with how common co-op gank squads are it's not as cool in reality.

As an aside, I, uh... kinda miss the Clangorous Covenant from 2. Instant invasion action.

Oh gawd, that was intense! Got the perfect run against
Dancer
using the Profaned Greatsword. One of the hardest bosses to get a perfect on using an Ultra GS. Phew... video up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom