• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xux

Man, feel like I'm towards the end but then three paths
(Untended, Archdragon, whatever's after Dragonslayer)
are spread out before me. Pretty neat stuff.
Man, went back to playing Bloodborne after playing through Dks3 on PC. It was rough. Felt really sluggish in comparison. What I would to experience Bloodborne on PC...

Port begging!

Anyone notice anything buggy about the N
ameless King
boss fight? Twice I've zoned in now (with one person summoned and an invader being sent home) and he never shows up to the fight. Just ran around the arena for a bit before homeward boning it out. Weird.

edit: I am dumb.

Ok, so I accidentally got spoiled that there was a place called (
Archdragon's Peak)
and after getting to
Kiln of The First Flame
which I presume is the last area of the game and was disappointed I never found out how to get there.

So I don't want someone to tell me where it is, but more like is there something special you have to do to get there? Is it convoluted, something I normally wouldn't figure out at first glance? I'm currently trying to navigate solely by environment, going to different places in the game and trying to look for distant buildings/formations that I don't recognize in the background of the environment and looking for some sort of path there. I initially looked around
Lothric Castle
since it's so heavily tied to dragon related lore and stuff but have had no luck. I've also tried to sift through item descriptions in the hopes of finding hints to access this place or at least get an idea what other area in the game might link to but so far no success. I'm afraid it might be tied to some boss soul I've already transposed and therefore can't read a description for it.
Dragonslayer Armour
seemed to be my best hope but but I already transposed his soul and the item's description didn't help.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Archdragon's Peak)
and after getting to
Kiln of The First Flame
which I presume is the last area of the game and was disappointed I never found out how to get there.

So I don't want someone to tell me where it is, but more like is there something special you have to do to get there? Is it convoluted, something I normally wouldn't figure out at first glance? I'm currently trying to navigate solely by environment, going to different places in the game and trying to look for distant buildings/formations that I don't recognize in the background of the environment and looking for some sort of path there. I initially looked around
Lothric Castle
since it's so heavily tied to dragon related lore and stuff but have had no luck. I've also tried to sift through item descriptions in the hopes of finding hints to access this place or at least get an idea what other area in the game might link to but so far no success. I'm afraid it might be tied to some boss soul I've already transposed and therefore can't read a description for it.
Dragonslayer Armour
seemed to be my best hope but but I already transposed his soul and the item's description didn't help.

I wouldn't have figured it out in a million years. It has nothing to do with boss souls.

I'm very satisfied w the level design. I think it is on the level of DS1 and the emphasis on inter-connectivity has been overblown. DS1 had plenty of teleportation, right from the first area, as well as from Sen's Fortress to Anor Lond, as well as from Anor Londo to Painted World, as well as Darkroot Basin to the DLC area. That DS1 DLC area feels like it was a huge influence on parts of this game.

I am still coming across "setpiece" areas where the environment and enemy placement works together in a way that is memorable like some DS1 areas were. I love how they still are using many DS2 ideas tho. It really is a best of both worlds.

Currently at the Abyss Walkers and having a really hard time. Loving the BTTF-style flame trail! But it is kiling me =) What an interesting boss, it is like a combination of DS2's Sentinels and the DLC Artorias followed by DS1 final boss fight but all heavily tweaked and executed to perfection!

Archdragon's Peak)
and after getting to
Kiln of The First Flame

Lothric Castle
Dragonslayer Armour

There's a special
gesture
that you have to do in a certain area.

I wouldn't have figured it out in a million years. It has nothing to do with boss souls.

Well I don't think I can unlock it with a boss soul or anything, I'm just trying to use the item descriptions to find this place.

So it is convoluted to get there? Are there any kind of clues in the game as to its location I may be overlooking? I've gone back to a lot of areas, particularly
Road of Sacrifices/Farron Keep
because I initially rushed through that area my first time round and with some backtracking I have found a lot of stuff I skipped over, but nothing leading to a new area.

Looks like From pulled off the 1.05 patch from PSN.

Because I decided to re-download the game and turns out the version still 1.04, it plays online just fine, and when I check for update it says that I have the latest version.

And the difference of 1.04 vs 1.05 patch frame rate is really noticeable, wonder what caused the frame rate to tank.

Edit Ops...there is no 1.05 patch, looks like re-installing is what fixed the frame rate for me.

MilkBeard

Well I don't think I can unlock it with a boss soul or anything, I'm just trying to use the item descriptions to find this place.

So it is convoluted to get there? Are there any kind of clues in the game as to its location I may be overlooking? I've gone back to a lot of areas, particularly
Road of Sacrifices/Farron Keep
because I initially rushed through that area my first time round and with some backtracking I have found a lot of stuff I skipped over, but nothing leading to a new area.

It can be very, very easy to miss or even to not connect the two things together. However, if you are paying attention, there is clear visual symbolization to link everything together. Also having message notes give you clues will help. The message system is in place for that reason, I think. Play online and think about the name of the place
Archdragon Peak
and see if those ring a bell. Specifically,
Dragon, and Peak.
There are only a few places in the game where you come across the first, at least.

There is a very, very specific place that has these two things in it that you saw at one point, probably were like "hmm, that's interesting. I wonder what that's about" and then you moved on and completely forgot about it.

Evo X

Anyone having issues playing online on PS4?

My game is eternally stuck at the main menu saying "retrieving latest calibrations"

Any fix or do I just have to wait it out?

MilkBeard

Looks like From pulled off the 1.05 patch from PSN.

Because I decided to re-download the game and turns out the version still 1.04, it plays online just fine, and when I check for update it says that I have the latest version.

And the difference of 1.04 vs 1.05 patch frame rate is really noticeable, wonder what caused the frame rate to tank.

Really? The current version is 1.04 Regulation 1.06. Are you sure it's not just that version? There isn't an App version 1.05 yet.

Sanctuary

...Four? I can think of Magic Clutch/Young Dragon/Bellowing Dragoncrest, or Fire Clutch/Great Swamp/Witch's ring for pyros. What else is there? Do you mean the Scholar's Ring?

Sword Ring affects spells too. Have to be at full health however. It's not something I would ever consider against a boss (and I wouldn't even use it over the two school specific, non clutch rings either), but it's totally viable against most trash if you play safe, or just want to use it early on for farming Keep Ruins.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Man I really wish I could get invaded or coop in areas I beat. I also wish the light axes were good like they were in 2 but many of them have a windup that gets punished against other light weapons.

psychotron

Grand Archives
is a pain in the balls. Lots of groups and those fucking
hands
that curse you. I know there's a
wax thing
somewhere that helps but I must have missed it. I'm really high up on the roofs now.

Cyrano

Sometimes Mad Spirit summoning requires you to kill *two* phantoms? Why?? That's such a pain.
Sometimes it requires 3... and now you know why no one wants to farm Vertebra Shackles.

So, only spell changes I can see is that some Sorceries seem to cast faster than they used to. Are there any significant changes to spells as per that comment about making them more efficient?

Maddrical

After breezing through the first 3/4 of this game, the last 1/4 has really stumped me. I'm up to the
Soul of Cinder
and he's tearing me a new one. I've completely abandoned my greatshield build vs him and the previous boss, the
Princes
, because my stamina gets wrecked and a lot of their attacks have plenty of chip damage from fire anyway. Is the
Soul of Cinder
the final boss? The location suggests that it is indeed. I guess I've skipped the
Nameless King
that everyone talks about.

Roussow

Alright I beat the game. yay.

Final boss actually didn't suck this time. When the piano kicked in on the second phase I got goosebumps.

Ending was as god awful as always though. Sit at the fire. Game over. Credits. I know there are probably multiple endings but how about you just make one good ending that doesnt suck balls

I still think the vanilla Dark Souls 2 ending is the best ending of the series, I was actually annoyed that the Scholar update added a second ending, it really did undermine the whole point of the originals ending.

Why doesn't this game let you use suspend mode? I lost 16,000 souls today because I suspended the game (on my way to recover my bloodstain) and when I came back I had been slaughtered and respawned at the last bonfire I had rested at.

psychotron

Why doesn't this game let you use suspend mode? I lost 16,000 souls today because I suspended the game (on my way to recover my bloodstain) and when I came back I had been slaughtered and respawned at the last bonfire I had rested at.

Quit the game from the system menu. Brings you right back where you were, enemies still dead.

Maddrical

Because suspend mode doesn't shut the game down, so you're still in game. Thus why you would also have a much longer play time now also. Just quit to main menu before you use suspend mode, it's what I've been doing. I'm pretty sure you can't use multiplayer components once you come back from suspend mode if you don't quit to main menu first anyway, at least that was in the case in BB.

Fashion Souls! Thought I'd make my strength build character look a bit more Knight/Paladin-like, and I figure I've got a pretty nice combo going on! Pretty sexy!

TKLLmyC.jpg

-Chain Helm
-Firelink Armour
-Firelink Gauntlets
-Sunless Leggings.

Acorn

Fashion Souls! Thought I'd make my strength build character look a bit more Knight/Paladin-like, and I figure I've got a pretty nice combo going on! Pretty sexy!

TKLLmyC.jpg

-Chain Helm
-Firelink Armour
-Firelink Gauntlets
-Sunless Leggings.
Is that the zwelithingy sword? How is it? Keep meaning to buy it and forgetting.

Maddrical

What's the point of having suspend mode if you have to reload from the title screen every time? Seems to defeat the whole purpose.

Suspend mode wasn't developed solely for Dark Souls in mind, it's super helpful for almost every game except when always-online features are involved. It still saves a lot of time with DS anyway.

Tarkus

http://i.imgur.com/TKLLmyC.jpg[/IM]

-Chain Helm
-Firelink Armour
-Firelink Gauntlets
-Sunless Leggings.[/QUOTE]
Looks pretty good except for the creeper facial hair :P

The Flash

Banned

TKLLmyC.jpg

-Chain Helm
-Firelink Armour
-Firelink Gauntlets
-Sunless Leggings.

I can't believe that they saved the cover art armor for last. I don't know about you guys but for a lot of games I feel weird wearing outfits that aren't default or at least on the box art. In Souls I always try to get the cover armor as fast as possible because of it. The Armor of Thorns has been a good substitute though. I've really grown to like not only the aesthetics of it but also its roll damage bonus.

MilkBeard

I can't believe that they saved the cover art armor for last. I don't know about you guys but for a lot of games I feel weird wearing outfits that aren't default or at least on the box art. In Souls I always try to get the cover armor as fast as possible because of it. The Armor of Thorns has been a good substitute though. I've really grown to like not only the aesthetics of it but also its roll damage bonus.

It's fun to cosplay the
Soul of Cinder.
You can have pretty much everything he has, except for his weird variations in the weapon. The weapon itself is quite good, at least I think so, and the armor is pretty light. It's fun running around in it.

burgerdog

So why does the game have two covenants that do the exact same thing and how / what sends a blue or darkmoon dude to help a bro out? I need 5 more items and I don't know if I should be equipping Blue or Blade.

There's a special
gesture
that you have to do in a certain area.

So I finally figured it out and this hint pretty much made everything click at once for me, kinda crazy if you think about it. I was thinking about dragon stuff and when I saw the hint I remembered that there was a weird outcropping where you find the
Dragon Head Torso
way back in
Ithryll Dungeon
. The reason it sticks out to me so significantly and probably the ONLY reason I could even figure it out with your hint was that when I got there for the first time there was a message right in the place you're supposed to
gesture saying "try gesture"
and at the time I did, using the
rest gesture because it was the only gesture I had at the time that mimicked the bodies/statues around me.
Of course it didn't do anything then, but when I picked up the
Dragon Pose gesture
later on in the game I didn't link the two until your hint. How the hell are people supposed to figure that one out? The only reason I could is because of that one message that popped up only one time in that area and the one time I actually listened to one of these
"try gesture"
messages that I just ignored for being a cheeky joke.

I have a quick question for the PC version: A few friends and me plan to hold a Dark Souls III LAN Party tomorrow and I only want to bring my Macbook along, can I just copy my save-game over and that's it? No negatives or repercussions on the online-side of things? :eek:

The Flash

Banned
It's fun to cosplay the
Soul of Cinder.
You can have pretty much everything he has, except for his weird variations in the weapon. The weapon itself is quite good, at least I think so, and the armor is pretty light. It's fun running around in it.

Yeah I'm looking forward to getting it. In NG+ I'll actually feel like the real Ashen One.

RedSwirl

A bit of advice on stats?

Just beat
champion

SL84

30 VIG
36 END
37 DEX
19 STR

Main weapon: sharp Uchigatana

I'm thinking of starting to work on strength even though I've been going on DEX all this time. I think DEX benefits start to diminish a bit after 35. I'd always planned to eventually move over to STR even if it's not until NG+, then building a good STR backup weapon.

How many people even do that?

MilkBeard

A bit of advice on stats?

Just beat
champion

SL84

30 VIG
36 END
37 DEX
19 STR

Main weapon: sharp Uchigatana

I'm thinking of starting to work on strength even though I've been going on DEX all this time. I think DEX benefits start to diminish a bit after 35. I'd always planned to eventually move over to STR even if it's not until NG+, then building a good STR backup weapon.

How many people even do that?

Leveling up Strength is a good idea if you want to use the most variety of weapons.

I've gone down the path of Luck/Dex, with a base level of 20 strength so that I can use a lot of weapons. Hollow weapons will scale with luck, and you will get a boost to luck just by having a Hollow weapon/Shield in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom