• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Spookie

some of us have shit connections and having to DL 5 GBs to play the game instead of 15 GBs is nice

I'm on 2-2.5mb. I'd rather preload it all at once than have the game launch then do another 4gb. But that's one for the SD thread.

Back to Darksiders though: Anyone having random FPS drops on the PC even with a monster rig? :(

chippie

No tearing or graphics issues for me on PC.

I just cleared the first dungeon and the game is simply awesome. I love the art style, especially in the first hub like area!

First post hello :)

Anybody have any idea how I can cap the frame rate on this thing? Have an i5 2500k and 6950 and getting a framerate of around 120 (in the beginning area at least) and the bare bones graphics options they gave me are no help at all (turning v sync on doesn't seem to do hardly anything).

vesp

Anybody have any idea how I can cap the frame rate on this thing? Have an i5 2500k and 6950 and getting a framerate of around 120 (in the beginning area at least) and the bare bones graphics options they gave me are no help at all (turning v sync on doesn't seem to do hardly anything).

Forcing V-synch via RadeonPro caps it at 60, but there is still tearing. The game is great but the graphic settings are so god damn busted.

KorrZ

Just came back from Walmart to pick up my copy! Installing it now..can't wait!! It came bundled with a free 360 copy of Darksiders 1 too for some reason. Now I own DS1 on PC and 2 copies on 360 lol.

Nintendo should really take a queue from this for the Zelda franchise

I felt like I was actually playing the game within the first 30 minutes

vesp

I'm on 2-2.5mb. I'd rather preload it all at once than have the game launch then do another 4gb. But that's one for the SD thread.

Back to Darksiders though: Anyone having random FPS drops on the PC even with a monster rig? :(

Having a bit of microstutter especially when autosave hits which is kinda weird as otherwise it is completely solid at 60fps with v-sync on and ~200 with it off.

Aeana

For anyone who's having trouble with tearing or stuttering

Download MSI Afterburner. Start the OSD Server and add the Darksiders 2 exe to it. Hit the settings button and tell it to limit the game to 60fps. Then, force Vsync through Inspector. It runs without a hitch for me and I'm forcing 2xSGSSAA.

This + forcing triple buffering via D3DOverrider fixed all of my issues. Stuttering is gone, no tearing.

Sidzed2

I can't say too much specifically, but this game is good on almost every level except for it's story, which is crushingly blah.

Completion time: 18.5 hours for the critical path.

vesp

Nintendo should really take a queue from this for the Zelda franchise

I felt like I was actually playing the game within the first 30 minutes

Yea, the pacing is so much better than any of the Zeldas (and Darksiders 1) so far. 2 dungeons deep and have yet to really have a boring moment or artificially long encounter so far. While none of the bosses have been super impressive yet, I do appreciate that they don't take 20 minutes to kill.

DieH@rd

Banned
For me, game wont start when i return to my european IP. Oh well, offline playing continues. :)

Game really rocks, I have already found two posessed claws, both in random chests! Does anyone wants to trade with me? I have lvl3 pos.claw 34-40dmg and lvl6 pose.claw 56-64dmg? I want lvl5-7 pos.scythes. If you have lvl7, i will give you both of my claws.

DieH@rd

Banned
Here are few screenshots from my first 3 hours of gameplay. NO MLAA, NO FXAA, NOTHING FOR AA ENABLED IN THE GPU DRIVERS.

2012-08-14_000032vz1y.jpg

darksiders22012-08-148ya62.jpg

darksiders22012-08-14nqzyh.jpg

2012-08-14_00006kmazb.jpg

2012-08-14_00007hgycp.jpg

2012-08-14_00009g8a27.jpg

2012-08-14_000126cxtt.jpg

2012-08-14_000209fawq.jpg

2012-08-14_00021sdy4i.jpg

2012-08-14_00024a0bx1.jpg

Forcing V-synch via RadeonPro caps it at 60, but there is still tearing. The game is great but the graphic settings are so god damn busted.
That definitely helped, thanks. On a related note where can I get the FXAA injector for Darksiders 2? I used it with Darksiders 1 and it made a big improvement on how the game looked.

neoism

Control Panel settings. :)

If you have an nvidia card make sure to upgrade to the latest drivers posted earlier in this thread. The games does look very nice with AF, AA, Vsync/TripleBuffering.

fuck me guess I'm fucked... AMD with old drivers. but I can't update, because service fucking pack 1 will NOT install... I've tried like 15 times.

My card runs at 90c... :.(

Volcynika

I suspect I'll feel like quite the idiot when I get my answer, but how do I reach this chest?

Weeping Crag, by the way.

Tag for whatever reason:

You need to make some progress in that area and get the skeleton key.

At least I'm pretty sure that's it. I did that area and I only missed one treasure that I can't get to without an item I assume.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Tag for whatever reason:

You need to make some progress in that area and get the skeleton key.

At least I'm pretty sure that's it. I did that area and I only missed one treasure that I can't get to without an item I assume.

I did! That's how I got to where I'm standing. Maybe I've missed something that leads directly to where the chest is sitting.

NekoFever

Apologies if this has been asked before but is it worth me playing the first game before jumping into this one?
It's not necessary because they don't follow directly on from one another or anything, but the first game's worth playing and can be blown through in 12-15 hours.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hm, I'll have to go back maybe. Also did you take
the water path to the new area. DONT DO IT ;_;

I just reached it.
One of the upper rooms is missing a fair chunk of a wall; investigating sees you drop down near the chest

Edit: As for the spoiler...
"Oh, a mini-boss! It's early into the game, surely he can't be-- *dead*

alba

Little is the new Big
Did you keep on trying to fight that guy before the mailbox thinking "If I just had my preorder weapons, I bet this would be much easier!"
Cause that sure went through my mind a couple of times. :p

I tried a few times but no, I realized what that was about quickly :p

neoism

D3DOverrider. You get it with Rivatuner.

well I finnally downloaded this... lol should I turn off v sync in game... it looks great and I dont get the shit tearing... it wasn't bad but still.

tragic will probably not post in here again....I still hope for a congif file. If not this will be my last THQ game ever.....

neoism

What version do you think I should get? Got a 6 GB of RAM, Radeon 5770, and an intel Core i5 processor. I prefer 360 achievements over anything, but if I can run a significantly better looking game I might go for that. Unless of course there are annoying audio/visual bugs.

my computer is just 2 gb more and a 5870 your will run the gae max lol "max" it will run great..

Megasoum

Banned
Couple of questions guys.

So I got the game through GMG, when I look at the DLC list in Steam I see Crucible and two weapons. I thought we were supposed to get the tomb too? I know it's not out yet but shouldn't it show in the DLC list anyway?

Where do you get the DS1 achievements weapons? I got two weapons from the tome system (ingame mail) but no idea if they are the DS1 weapons or something else.

Is D3DOverrider for Nvidia cards too? For some reasons I always thought it was an AMD thing...

Twinduct

I've turned my VPN off, restarted and the game is still unlocked. It appears they've changed the way the game unlocks.

ooo nice. Yeah it's been awhile since I had to VPN a game. hell think Deus Ex or Dead Island was the last one.

On Topic, Just found out I have to be at some charity event on Saturday and I've got to arrive before 6 am. So Fuckit, doing the vpn trick tonight.

Derrick01

Banned
well I finnally downloaded this... lol should I turn off v sync in game... it looks great and I dont get the shit tearing... it wasn't bad but still.

tragic will probably not post in here again....I still hope for a congif file. If not this will be my last THQ game ever.....

With d3d you won't have to use vsync in game any more. Turn it off so you can get a performance boost.

Daante

Ausgamers review: 9.5/10

http://www.ausgamers.com/games/darksiders-2/review

"All of this simply leaves me with a serious hope that THQ can find their footing and maintain as a company, just so we can continue to see, and play, games of this nature. Darksiders II is a game built around throwback mechanics and exploration, but done in a modern and narrative fulfilling way. It absolutely trumps the first game, which in itself was a work of masterful art, and leaves me hoping we don’t have to wait two years for the inevitable third game. One of the year’s best releases by far "

What they liked:

- Giant new world beyond our own to explore
- Visceral combat
- Deep micro-management system on par with the best RPGs
- Currency and loot system is top-notch
- Michael Wincott as Death was a perfect choice
- Deeply rewarding narrative

What they didnt like:

- Game-engine is beginning to show its age

Hindle

Banned
I asked this question in the Darksiders II spoiler thread before, but I think people missed it. If I dont read the novel thats recently been released will I not understand the story to the actual game?

Salaadin

Turn it off in game and just use d3doverrider.

For anyone who's having trouble with tearing or stuttering

Had no idea MSI Afterburner did this. Is that a new feature? I was tinkering with MSI maybe 3 months ago to set up video recording and temp monitoring and saw nothing about an fps limiter. Thats great.

Had no idea MSI Afterburner did this. Is that a new feature? I was tinkering with MSI maybe 3 months ago to set up video recording and temp monitoring and saw nothing about an fps limiter. Thats great.

Yeah I didn't know this too. Just updated to the newest version, and it's in there. That's a fantastic addition.

SmokinDan

Welp. my game won't even launch. Just says I'm in-game when I press play on Steam but doesn't even launch a window or anything. Goes right back to online after 30 seconds or so.

RPGCrazied

My order has shipped. Now I must wait the waiting game. I'm good at that, since I've been waiting for the 3DS XL to launch.

Anyways, anyone played the PS3 version in length want to post impression? Mostly just the preformance.

Top Bottom