• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

JambiBum

So does anyone know how to get rid of the weird pause when you go into the menus? It hangs for a coupe of seconds any time I go into any menu. It's awfully annoying and makes me want to avoid them at all costs. PC version btw.

Micerider

For me, game wont start when i return to my european IP. Oh well, offline playing continues. :)

Weird, I'm fine with no VPN up after activation.

A bit less than two hours in (fire dungeon) and it really rocks, I can already tell that :

1) They made a lot of efforts on the art and design side. The sense of scale is amazing and the environements are already better than what the first game offered in terms of quality.

2) The combat is fluid, I can already "feel" the transition points in combos, really shows that this was a point of focus.

3) The exploration seems to be more rewarding and interesting than in first game.

4) The Loot-whores in every of us is pleased

5) DAT F*CKING broken VSYNC is pissing me off.

So far so good, aside from point 5)

S1kkZ

played the 360 version for a bit and yeah: framerate and tearing are really bad. its ok in the tutorial (?) area, but the area after that...nope. real shame, game seems fantastic otherwise.

RPGCrazied

played the 360 version for a bit and yeah: framerate and tearing are really bad. its ok in the tutorial (?) area, but the area after that...nope. real shame, game seems fantastic otherwise.

Feeling bad about the PS3 version now. :( I wish they would comment on the "no tearing at all in the console versions" that came from the devs themselves.

For anyone who's having trouble with tearing or stuttering

Download MSI Afterburner. Start the OSD Server and add the Darksiders 2 exe to it. Hit the settings button and tell it to limit the game to 60fps. Then, force Vsync through Inspector. It runs without a hitch for me and I'm forcing 2xSGSSAA.

This + forcing triple buffering via D3DOverrider fixed all of my issues. Stuttering is gone, no tearing.

Cool. Gonna try this when I get home.

S1kkZ

Feeling bad about the PS3 version now. :( I wish they would comment on the "no tearing at all in the console versions" that came from the devs themselves.

there is no constant tearing (like in ds1 pre-patch on 360), but its there and its annoying.
and dont feel bad: i cant deal with game that dont run with at least 30 fps, maybe you dont mind it as much.

RPGCrazied

there is no constant tearing (like in ds1 pre-patch on 360), but its there and its annoying.
and dont feel bad: i cant deal with game that dont run with at least 30 fps, maybe you dont mind it as much.

I'm the other way around. I don't mind framerate, but I loathe screen tearing. I should've bought the PC version, but I wanted that DS1 starting gear for Death.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've just started maintaining a text file that lists as-yet inaccessible items/areas of visited locations, and I suspect it's going to grow very quickly.

Hdn should definitely be held accountable for spewing misinformation on gaf. The very least he could do is fucking apologize.

RPGCrazied

Hdn should definitely be held accountable for spewing misinformation on gaf. The very least he could do is fucking apologize.

I don't know if it came from him, but I saw it confirmed in another thread:

Fresh GAF-exclusive info from the mouth of Vigil developer:
- Confirmed no tearing in PS3/X360 version of the game [Gamespot's SDCC video has tearing because of their video recording setup].
- X360 users will get the game on one disc.
- Diablo 3 Hardcore mode is in [under the name of Nightmare Mode]. One death in combat = permanent death and total loss of campaign progress.
- MAGs are in. Possessed Weapons [rare&unique weapon lootz] must be fed with other random items to enable them to level up and gain more abilities and damage.
- Trading of items between players is in.
- Fast Travel. You can go into your map and instantly teleport to any location that you previously visited.
- New Game+ is in. You keep all your loot, enemies gets tougher and you gain % to find new tier of weapons which can have exclusive NG+ attributes.
- In addition to traditional weapon combos, your secondary weapons can be chained-in for their "signature attack", Scythe has its own rhythm-based/delayed-button press combos, and legendary weapons have their own special attacks.
- Re-spec of tech trees is possible!

KorrZ

Wait till you're level 7-10. I beat him at 5 though. Achievement reward gear helps

Hahaha.

Yeah I fought him and it's like "...wait...I'm barely doing any damage. NOT GOOD."

Optional sidequest. Level up. Come back. ;)

I managed to beat him at level 4 after about 10 attempts! Phew! Seeing as the reward I got was
level 10
I feel pretty damn good! The combat in this game is so satisfying :)

DieH@rd

Banned
Weird, I'm fine with no VPN up after activation.

A bit less than two hours in (fire dungeon) and it really rocks, I can already tell that :

1) They made a lot of efforts on the art and design side. The sense of scale is amazing and the environements are already better than what the first game offered in terms of quality.

2) The combat is fluid, I can already "feel" the transition points in combos, really shows that this was a point of focus.

3) The exploration seems to be more rewarding and interesting than in first game.

4) The Loot-whores in every of us is pleased

5) DAT F*CKING broken VSYNC is pissing me off.

So far so good, aside from point 5)

You can fix that. Look solutions in past few pages.

ced

Why in the hell has one of the devs been saying no tearing? Things like this really piss me off.

Skilletor

Played for about 40 minutes. Getting the stuttering on PC (downloading MSIafterburner now). Death is awesome. Feels like Prince 2008.

Zareth

Has their been any problems with the 360 or PS3 version of this game? so I know if there is a console to avoid getting this for.

RPGCrazied

Why in the hell has one of the devs been saying no tearing? Things like this really piss me off.

I know. Its one thing to say it has minor tearing and it tears. Its another to say it has 0 and it clearly does have it in some places. It might not do it all the time like DS1, but it will still do it. Mostly in the open outdoor areas of the game.

So does anyone know how to get rid of the weird pause when you go into the menus? It hangs for a coupe of seconds any time I go into any menu. It's awfully annoying and makes me want to avoid them at all costs. PC version btw.

Having the same problem here, go to the pause menu and the game completely hangs...

So I played a little bit of the PC version of Darksiders 2 this morning. Just got past the introduction with the Makers. Hopefully that really isn't a spoiler for anyone. Pretty good game so far. Loving the art direction and voice acting. Some really good stuff here. However, one issue that I am experiencing is that Death does not show up in the menu screen to let me preview what the different equipment looks like on him. All other stuff in the menu appears otherwise.

System specs:

Intel i7 920 @ 2.66GHz (overclocked to 3.4GHz)
6GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GeForce 580 GTX

Using NVidia Inspector to force 2xMSAA + 2xSGSSAA, 16x AF, triple buffering, and Vsync. Resolution is set at 1920x1200. Everything else seems to be working great. Steady 60fps with no stuttering. The menu stuff is really the only issue I'm currently having and I guess it's a minor one. Still, any help in resolving the issue would be appreciated. Thanks.

Feindflug

Well that sucks...now it's confirmed that hdn lied about the no tearing BS.

I'll cancel my pre-order and just get the PC version in a few months when I'll get a new gaming PC and the game will be cheaper, I have enough games to keep me busy until then.

Megasoum

Banned
Couple of questions guys.

So I got the game through GMG, when I look at the DLC list in Steam I see Crucible and two weapons. I thought we were supposed to get the tomb too? I know it's not out yet but shouldn't it show in the DLC list anyway?

Where do you get the DS1 achievements weapons? I got two weapons from the tome system (ingame mail) but no idea if they are the DS1 weapons or something else.

Is D3DOverrider for Nvidia cards too? For some reasons I always thought it was an AMD thing...

Quoting for new page. The thread moves fast this morning!

ironcreed

Banned
Ausgamers review: 9.5/10

http://www.ausgamers.com/games/darksiders-2/review

"All of this simply leaves me with a serious hope that THQ can find their footing and maintain as a company, just so we can continue to see, and play, games of this nature. Darksiders II is a game built around throwback mechanics and exploration, but done in a modern and narrative fulfilling way. It absolutely trumps the first game, which in itself was a work of masterful art, and leaves me hoping we don’t have to wait two years for the inevitable third game. One of the year’s best releases by far "

What they liked:

- Giant new world beyond our own to explore
- Visceral combat
- Deep micro-management system on par with the best RPGs
- Currency and loot system is top-notch
- Michael Wincott as Death was a perfect choice
- Deeply rewarding narrative

What they didnt like:

- Game-engine is beginning to show its age

Sounds like a win to me. Everything I could want out of it is there.

iNvid02

yFOCs.png

Dude Abides

Banned
Sad about the graphical issues. I guess I'm going to have to invest in a 15 foot HDMI cable and one of those gamepad dongle thingies so I can run on PC but play it on my TV.

Jac_Solar

Without spoiling anything, can anyone tell me how much freedom of exploration the game has? I don't expect Skyrim type of freedom, obviously, but I don't expect FPS corridor linear either.

Is the world really large, with a great degree of freedom? If so, how open is it?

Top Bottom