• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me: "Ah didn't know you had a BF, then I don't think it's appropriate to go out just the two of us since I was about to mention it would have been a date"

Her: "he's not really my bf it's nothing official but I've been seeing him for a while but we can still go out as friends if you want"

At this point I just tell her that a friendship isn't what I was looking for so we won't be going out anymore. She then replies that at the moment she can only offer a friendship.

Fuck yeah son. Gotta be firm about what you want. Don't compronise on this shit.

Maybe it's time to download Tinder.

It's always time to download Tinder.

Salamando

🤷

Would not be pleasant for anyone.

Come now. Judging by the messages you've posted in this thread, surely you've noticed that there's no shortage of men who want to see you in underwear...less, if they had the choice.

And what's with ya'll wearing pants indoors...even yoga/lounge pants? Athletic shorts are roomier and breathe better.

And what's with ya'll wearing pants indoors...even yoga/lounge pants? Athletic shorts are roomier and breathe better.

Shorts in the middle of winter = meh. Doesnt matter whether its indoors or not. It's just meh when its -20 degrees celsius outside. Weather is warming up where I am but even so not to the point where I wanna wear shorts indefinitely

I sleep in jeans like 10% of the time

By far the most troubling thing you've ever said.

Also, I hate summer. I like dressing in layers. I hate shorts. I hate sandals. Give me rolled sleeves, Merino wool sweaters, argyle socks...

Finally, I can't get a date to save my life lately. I need something to pluck me out of this funk. It's almost never been this bad for me.

I dress more like an adult in the winter, but I kind of like looking like a bum in the summer. Tank tops and shorts are good incentive to get rid of the winter weight and provide a culturally acceptable way to show off the goods.

I need shorts that aren't just gym shorts.

Especially with Summer approaching.

Shorts and a Polo for me usually since I live in such a warm part of California.

If it's a date night I'll put on pants and a button down, maybe a tie if I'm feeling it.

Very rarely do I feel like I need to wear my suit, although I have a nice fitted one for such occasions.

At work I'm required to wear fire retardant and arc resistant clothing as I work at a power plant and there's a risk of shit catching fire or electrical arcs.

Ogodei

Come now. Judging by the messages you've posted in this thread, surely you've noticed that there's no shortage of men who want to see you in underwear...less, if they had the choice.

I wear regular pants all day unless i'm about to go for a run, never lounge in gym shorts or boxers.

By far the most troubling thing you've ever said.

Also, I hate summer. I like dressing in layers. I hate shorts. I hate sandals. Give me rolled sleeves, Merino wool sweaters, argyle socks...

Finally, I can't get a date to save my life lately. I need something to pluck me out of this funk. It's almost never been this bad for me.

Tell me about it. I sweat like a bastard, hate shorts, and live in Bangkok. It's hot as fuck allllll the time.
I'm in Vancouver now and the weather is chilly, rainy and amazing.

Leeness

giphy.gif

Horrible for anyone involved.

gaiages

Banned
I interpretted salt and pepper to mean hair color showing early signs of getting mixed :/

Need to read more urban dictionary

Would also like to just toss out to brotha man that no one, men or women, really wanna date a broke bastard who cant support themselves at all. Of course success is more attractive. Like duh.

At first I interpreted it as, like, an interracial couple and I was super confused lol

I didn't even think of the hair... Maybe that's what he meant but judging by the rest of the sentence maybe not lawl

Nothing at H&M fits me. Fucking blows. Most of the brands of clothes I like the look of are just not suited to my frame. RW&Co got that shit I love but 99% of the time cant wear 😢

Man I feel you, I have a curvy figure so even when I was thin things didn't fit right at times, and I don't really like dresses. Shit is annoying. I have like one pair of jeans that fits and everything else is yoga pants and leggings, fuck it

I'm sure I could find stuff that does fit properly, but it's likely to cost me more than I'm willing to pay atm (maybe after I lose 70lbs I'll splurge ;p)

Update on that girl sending mixed signals: it's not gonna go anywhere.

My birthday party got pretty wild so didn't really seem a good occasion to ask her on a proper date. Last week I've been busy for most of it, last sunday I finally message her she mentions that she's busy for the next two days but that we could do it on the following weekend. She mentions she's going to a city where I've lived for a few years and I ask her what she's going to do there, this is when she says "my bf invited me to go there" and I'm like WTF.

The following is more or less the conversation we had:

Me: "Ah didn't know you had a BF, then I don't think it's appropriate to go out just the two of us since I was about to mention it would have been a date"

Her: "he's not really my bf it's nothing official but I've been seeing him for a while but we can still go out as friends if you want"

At this point I just tell her that a friendship isn't what I was looking for so we won't be going out anymore. She then replies that at the moment she can only offer a friendship.

Meh, won't hide that I'm a bit disappointed, she lives in my same building so I'll probably see her for another month or two until she moves out.

You handled it well, good on you.

Might as well try Tinder :p

I did that for a year or two, worst decision of my life

(not really but it wasn't a good idea)

Leeness

Man I feel you, I have a curvy figure so even when I was thin things didn't fit right at times, and I don't really like dresses. Shit is annoying. I have like one pair of jeans that fits and everything else is yoga pants and leggings, fuck it

I'm sure I could find stuff that does fit properly, but it's likely to cost me more than I'm willing to pay atm (maybe after I lose 70lbs I'll splurge ;p)

PREACH. This is me.

artsi

Date went well I think, she was great and I hope she feels the same.

Friday is a turn for another older woman, she's 13 years older than me (but no kids this time), gonna take her out for dinner.

At first I interpreted it as, like, an interracial couple and I was super confused lol

I didn't even think of the hair... Maybe that's what he meant but judging by the rest of the sentence maybe not lawl

Salt and Pepper...Interracial...Jesus please tell me no one is using that analogy these days. Barf.

But yeah I have only heard it used for mens hair. And hopefully it will remain that way.

I just hate how basic clothing is designed. It's like they make clothing for like 3 body type and just go "deal with it". I'm not fucking buying things then getting it all tailored. No.

The last time I went looking for swim shorts ho boy. 🙈

Peltz

I have a question for everyone what's your age and your age limits and why

I'm 30. My age limits are 26 to 34. 25 year old girls me be really fun, but they're just too immature for me in general. I prefer established women and tend to skew a bit older. Anything under 28 is really pushing it to be honest, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Your way of life is not for me.

LosDaddie

Banned
Depending on the gap, Age is less important than where you and a potential partner are in life...in terms of career / living situation / finances/ etc.

You could be in your late 20s/early 30s and relate better to someone in their early/mid-20s than someone the same age if you both share the same goals & outlook on life.

Llyranor

I find I have to work really hard to find dress shirts and the like. I'm far too skinny for normal fit (its like an ocean in tje back). I'm too muscular for slim fit (the arms look extremely dumb) and most sports fit clothing just looks ugly. Also I'm taller so the arm length is an issue even if the fit is good.
20$ tailored dress shirts while I was in China was the best investment I ever did for my wardrobe and wallet. I only wish I bought a few dozens (I only got a few because I was skeptical). Off-rack doesn't fit me that well, but tailored shirts have gotten me a lot of compliments and been a good confidence booster.

It's too easy to see the shlong in them.

With a tight pair of boxer briefs I don't see that as a problem.

Who's stopping us?

True, I just need a pair that'll fit my calves / thighs.

Because most of your average dudes don't have the figure for it haha! Hell, most women don't have the figure for them either! Only time I wear them is when there's warm summer weather when I teach my aerobics classes!

It's just so annoying to have gym shorts and the like ride up during workouts and DDR. I'd love something form fitting and comfy for workouts.

'Cause we like having functional pockets in our pants.

Fuck I forgot about that.

20$ tailored dress shirts while I was in China was the best investment I ever did for my wardrobe and wallet. I only wish I bought a few dozens (I only got a few because I was skeptical). Off-rack doesn't fit me that well, but tailored shirts have gotten me a lot of compliments and been a good confidence booster.

Will look into if I ever go to China haha. A friend got a tailored suit for $90 so I am a total believer.

Because most of your average dudes don't have the figure for it haha! Hell, most women don't have the figure for them either! Only time I wear them is when there's warm summer weather when I teach my aerobics classes!

My butt is totally the right figure for it. How dare you :p

'Cause we like having functional pockets in our pants.

How the fuck does anyone function without pockets?

How the fuck does anyone function without pockets?

God fucking knows. I went shopping a few weeks ago and half of the jeans on display had fake fucking pockets! Same with some of the tops and blouses. That's why I invest in cargo shorts and pants, storage galore baby!

JL6t0bH.jpg

Aw yeah, phone, keys, wallet, hip flask, it's all in one spot!

FyreWulff

some of us can't wear yoga pants because our ass is too glorious to aim in the general direction of any living organisms.

the manhattan project of butts.

asshattan.

gluteklyn.

Just to be honest for anyone in the thread, the mixed messages phase is usually a good jumping off point. It either indicates they're done or they want to feel like they're dating while they're looking elsewhere or got something as a backup.

My birthday party got pretty wild so didn't really seem a good occasion to ask her on a proper date. Last week I've been busy for most of it, last sunday I finally message her she mentions that she's busy for the next two days but that we could do it on the following weekend. She mentions she's going to a city where I've lived for a few years and I ask her what she's going to do there, this is when she says "my bf invited me to go there" and I'm like WTF.

The following is more or less the conversation we had:

Meh, won't hide that I'm a bit disappointed, she lives in my same building so I'll probably see her for another month or two until she moves out.

"my bf"

"he's not really my bf"

lmao

stn

@slaifer

Good on you for being decisive and sticking to your goal. Will make this dating shit much easier for you. :)

"my bf"

"he's not really my bf"

lmao

Yeah, that wording. A few of my friends use the whole "My Boyfriend/Not My Boyfriend" thing as a means to either keep dudes they're not interested in away, or use the latter to keep a dude interested without nessecarily ditching their first and current option. I find it a little scummy personally.

Salamando

giphy.gif

Horrible for anyone involved.
If I really wanted to make you cringe...
The worst Dreamworks movie is better than the best Disney movie. Traditional 2D animation deserved to die, as 3D is better in every way
Yeah, that wording. A few of my friends us the whole "My Boyfriend/Not My Boyfriend" thing as a means to either keep dudes they're not interested in away, or use the latter to keep a dude interested without nessecarily ditching their first and current option. I find it a little scummy personally.
It's scummy, confuses all those involved, and easily understandable. Thanks to Amazon and Yelp and Netflix (and all their rating systems), we can't even pick a toaster without worrying if it's the "best" one. My parents would've just gone to K-Mart and grab one off the shelf...And thus with dating, we're too aware of our options and fear missing out on the "best" match.

Yeah, that wording. A few of my friends us the whole "My Boyfriend/Not My Boyfriend" thing as a means to either keep dudes they're not interested in away, or use the latter to keep a dude interested without nessecarily ditching their first and current option. I find it a little scummy personally.

That's the game. This shit is not for the weak willed. If all those guys were just like "I'm out" like brotha was here this shit would die out. But we got too many orbiters too invested in girls they aren't dating. People do this cause it works. If it didnt they would stop. True story.

That's the game. This shit is not for the weak willed. If all those guys were just like "I'm out" like brotha was here this shit would die out. But we got too many orbiters too invested in girls they aren't dating. People do this cause it works. If it didnt they would stop. True story.

Man, guess I''ve got too much of a conscience to lead people on like that haha! I just tell dudes straight if I'm dating somebody at the current moment that I'm not interested in pursuing another relationship. If they're around and still single after I stop dating a dude then I'll try to engage with them again, if not, tough titty for me then!

Hey all. I haven't really lurked this thread before, just came out of a 14-year relationship/marriage, and been getting back into the dating game for the first time in ages over the past few months. I've gone on a couple dates with a couple different people since my divorce, and it's been varying levels from awkward to deciding that I didn't want to just be with someone for the sake of being with someone. So, while I could have had some of the relationships since then go longer, it hasn't really been that much of an issue.

A couple of days ago, though, I got back in touch with someone who has had a thing for me for the past couple of years (which, yes, includes during the time that I was married. And, no, she wouldn't have anything at all to do with the divorce or anything like that). I'd talked to her on and off over the past couple of years, but hadn't really been in touch with her during the whole divorce process and while all of that was going on. Now, though, we've been back in touch, and talking to each other over the past few days, and she still really likes me and wants to be with me.

All of that sounds alright enough. The main thing that would probably send up the most flags to most people is the difference in our ages - I'm 34, and she's 20. Now, I know one of the bigger things is that people at that age often don't know what they really want, or change their mind on what they want fairly often. I remember being that age, and the difficulty with trying to find someone who was actually serious about what they wanted and really meant it. And, so, that's at the back of my mind. However, considering she's been interested in me for over two years - during most of which there wasn't nearly the hope of anything working out that there is now (it's not like I was leading her along or telling her that I would get divorced and be with her or anything like that - since that wasn't really likely at that point). So, the fact that she's still interested in me after all that time and everything makes me think that she is actually serious about this - or at least more serious than the couple of other people I dated since my divorce.

I'm thinking that we shouldn't just jump into moving in together (which she wants to do) or anything like that, and she's alright with that. Just looking to get some other thoughts.

Peltz

Hey all. I haven't really lurked this thread before, just came out of a 14-year relationship/marriage, and been getting back into the dating game for the first time in ages over the past few months. I've gone on a couple dates with a couple different people since my divorce, and it's been varying levels from awkward to deciding that I didn't want to just be with someone for the sake of being with someone. So, while I could have had some of the relationships since then go longer, it hasn't really been that much of an issue.

A couple of days ago, though, I got back in touch with someone who has had a thing for me for the past couple of years (which, yes, includes during the time that I was married. And, no, she wouldn't have anything at all to do with the divorce or anything like that). I'd talked to her on and off over the past couple of years, but hadn't really been in touch with her during the whole divorce process and while all of that was going on. Now, though, we've been back in touch, and talking to each other over the past few days, and she still really likes me and wants to be with me.

All of that sounds alright enough. The main thing that would probably send up the most flags to most people is the difference in our ages - I'm 34, and she's 20. Now, I know one of the bigger things is that people at that age often don't know what they really want, or change their mind on what they want fairly often. I remember being that age, and the difficulty with trying to find someone who was actually serious about what they wanted and really meant it. And, so, that's at the back of my mind. However, considering she's been interested in me for over two years - during most of which there wasn't nearly the hope of anything working out that there is now (it's not like I was leading her along or telling her that I would get divorced and be with her or anything like that - since that wasn't really likely at that point). So, the fact that she's still interested in me after all that time and everything makes me think that she is actually serious about this - or at least more serious than the couple of other people I dated since my divorce.

I'm thinking that we shouldn't just jump into moving in together (which she wants to do) or anything like that, and she's alright with that. Just looking to get some other thoughts.
Just hang out with her and see how it goes. But if she wants to move in already, no offense, she sounds insane.

Just hang out with her and see how it goes. But if she wants to move in already, no offense, she sounds insane.

I probably should've mentioned that she lives a few hours away as well.
Not that we couldn't hang out, but it makes things a bit more of an undertaking.

Casual dating and interaction for the meantime sounds absolutely fine. Younger women are generally pretty indecisive, heck, even I was up until a couple of years ago when I settled into a steady career path and lifestyle. Going easy and having a few dates is probably the best cause of action. Totally agree on not even considering moving in together. Even a few months usually isn't enough to get to know people and get a grasp on their personality/motives. After recently coming out of a long-term marriage I'm sure she'd understand that taking things at a steady pace is much healthier. Just take your time and don't rush into anything long-term.

Makonero

First off, love your username, it's my holy grail of lost games

Secondly, you need to slow this girl's roll. You can't go from a committed long term relationship to living with a girl you've just started dating super quickly, there's too much whiplash and emotional shit you need to deal with. Take things slow. Get to know her. There's no rush. But my guess is since she's 20...she may like you for the fact that you're older and there's drama involved. Which means it won't likely last long.

I think you and her are in very different places in life and you have to take that into account. I'm not saying don't date her...but definitely be cautious and take your time. If she is serious about you, she'll understand and respect that.

Salamando

However, considering she's been interested in me for over two years........So, the fact that she's still interested in me after all that time and everything makes me think that she is actually serious about this - or at least more serious than the couple of other people I dated since my divorce.
Or she had a crush on you. A fantasy. And if I'm doing the math, she's been interested in you since she was 17 and you were 31.
You've been talking for a few days, haven't even gone on a date yet, and she wants to move in already?

Fake edit: She lives a few hours away...so fucking what? I wouldn't move in with anyone unless we've been a couple for a few months. She wants to do weekend trips out to your place to spend the night - fine. That's how LDR's typically work.

Be careful where you go around saying that, that's the kind of thing that make people lose their jobs
and lifes.

Anyway, skinny jeans are the best kind of jean ever made for both sex and be sure I'll have a swordfight with whoever says otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom