• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone [OT] Days Gone B Gud

Terenty

Well I was up til 4 even though I think I only played for about two hours. Got up to where you take Boozer to the firewatch station after he gets jumped and burned up by the Rippers.

Then he takes his shotgun back :messenger_crying:

I like it a lot so far, but I will say this: it feels OLD. Like the entire time playing I felt like I was back in 2013-2014. Not exactly a bad thing, but everything about it is well worn territory so far in terms of mechanics and control. Deacon feels just as weighty as Joel in TLOU. Hell even the animations for picking up materials looks exactly like the TLOU pick up animation. Gun reticles have a sway to them. They shrink and enlarge depending on your movement. You can tell that this has been in the making for a long fucking time.

Cant wait to sink my teeth in some more.

Also I think it’s funny to see reviewers pick it apart because of whitey and all that other bullshit and yet absolutely no one mentioned that you straight up murder children. I mean they’re freaker children, but still

B8-E54082-8-F81-499-A-99-DB-1555-CE7-E8-F85.jpg

Strong willed white male? REEEEEEEE

Murdering kids? Eh, not a problem :messenger_ok:

These are white freaker children, all is good

Inviusx

Really impressed with the amount of freedom you have to tackle outposts, very FarCry in that sense.

Also being able to lure freakers into the human enemies is fun and works like it should.

Last edited:

scalman

So hows game going for you there? I heard is very same old and after 20 hrs of playing become boring . game doesnt know what it wants to be
Tlou was all about emotions stort and reasons to do things. I dont see many reasons to do stuff in this game just because level up and unlock some new stuff game tells you to clean areas to kill ok but what point in that? Whats your reasons what you getting from it? Cant believe it took them so long and movement its just ok bike handling not so much and zombies do same thing.
They teach you to hunt and to track animals and stuff and then you no need that anymore ever.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
So at about 10:00 pm last night the power went out in 3 towns including mine. I was screaming like a Hillary supporter in 2016.

I was like f### it and went to bed. Woke up at 11:30 and the power was back on. A wave of happiness and joy filled me.

I got right into the game. Had a few beers and some cannabis. The first thing I noticed was the seemingly impossible input lag and over-steer on the motorcycle. Like I was swerving all over the place.

It was a big turn off. But as the game progresses it became clear this was part of the design. It was raining, muddy and my bike skills were zero. So as I spent more time on the bike I realised I was trying to race like I was on a GP bike tether than treat it like a horse in RDR. That helped.

The locations are very believable and have a nice polish. The lighting and weather effects are amazing and effects the gameplay in various ways. Like making driving harder or making the Freakers less likely to hear you in the rain.

After about two hours I had to put it down. Not because it was lame but because I couldn't keep my eyes open.

I had this assumption while playing that. If I just make it to my bike I will be safe. I was wrong...

I was riding back to base after a mission. Feeling untouchable considering I hadent even used a firearm. I took a turn on the bike and some Fucking crazy Freak jumped clear out of a Bush and football tackled me off my bike. The noise of the crash attracted a small hoard... I freaked out and tried to find where my bike had slid off to.

I ran like some crack head at the police. They were scratching me down to like a sliver of health. I picked up the bike and barely escaped with my life.

Game is tense and fun. It's hitting the spot as a deep single player experience. Great music and gameplay so far. Can't wait to get deeper into the story.

Glad I got it!

Eiknarf

Banned
Wow! Just been told it’s getting only a
I sae gameplay and im kinda still not sure about it. That gameplay with lurking to those zombies and killing them silently its kinda same old as we allready saw and done before. So maybe story will change my mind as im not buying it just from that gameplay videos.

Oh I have to check some gameplay action!
I’m really surprised by the low 72 average from all critics combined ( and only a 71 from users like us ) - I need to know why

So at about 10:00 pm last night the power went out in 3 towns including mine. I was screaming like a Hillary supporter in 2016.

I was like f### it and went to bed. Woke up at 11:30 and the power was back on. A wave of happiness and joy filled me.

I got right into the game. Had a few beers and some cannabis. The first thing I noticed was the seemingly impossible input lag and over-steer on the motorcycle. Like I was swerving all over the place.

It was a big turn off. But as the game progresses it became clear this was part of the design. It was raining, muddy and my bike skills were zero. So as I spent more time on the bike I realised I was trying to race like I was on a GP bike tether than treat it like a horse in RDR. That helped.

The locations are very believable and have a nice polish. The lighting and weather effects are amazing and effects the gameplay in various ways. Like making driving harder or making the Freakers less likely to hear you in the rain.

After about two hours I had to put it down. Not because it was lame but because I couldn't keep my eyes open.

I had this assumption while playing that. If I just make it to my bike I will be safe. I was wrong...

I was riding back to base after a mission. Feeling untouchable considering I hadent even used a firearm. I took a turn on the bike and some Fucking crazy Freak jumped clear out of a Bush and football tackled me off my bike. The noise of the crash attracted a small hoard... I freaked out and tried to find where my bike had slid off to.

I ran like some crack head at the police. They were scratching me down to like a sliver of health. I picked up the bike and barely escaped with my life.

Game is tense and fun. It's hitting the spot as a deep single player experience. Great music and gameplay so far. Can't wait to get deeper into the story.

Glad I got it!
Thank you for this I actually can’t wait to get out of work and start playing it

TrainedRage

Banned
Thank you for this I actually can’t wait to get out of work and start playing it
Yeah. It's fun so far. I'm surprised at the way you use the knife and other melee weapons. They are a very viable way to play the game. And the knife animations are pretty damn brutal.

In my mind it's a very good mix of the best parts of some great games. The looting and tense sneaky action like TLoU. The free roam and base building of farcry. The hoard physics of WWZ. The gritty character like Nathan Drake. The world like RDR.

It gets a lot right in spite of its technical hiccups. And as a single player experience it's exactly what I have been looking for.

HotPocket69

Banned
Just got my copy. Looking forward to play later today.

The thing i dislike about far cry is how "gamey" it feels. It literally feels like objectives are copy/pasted all over the map.

I hope days gone feels more organic and immersive.

Its definitely immersive but its got a lot of gamey-ness to it too

Deacon has fuckin Witcher/Batman detective vision for one lol

Cant wait to get home. Honestly cant believe Im functioning this well at work with 3 hours of sleep

TrainedRage

Banned
Just got my copy. Looking forward to play later today.

The thing i dislike about far cry is how "gamey" it feels. It literally feels like objectives are copy/pasted all over the map.

I hope days gone feels more organic and immersive.
I have only played a little bit but the story is more... Chaotic. It kinda jumps around from right after the incident to years later.

It feels more organic tha. Just fetch quests even if that's what they essentially boil down to. Example...

My bike gets shot. Fuel pump breaks. Have to ride on my friends bike to finish bounty. He gets fucked up and needs to rest at base.

What do I need to do? Find a fuel pump and bandages. But how?
Go back to my old bike... It's been stolen. I think it was the ass hat in the next town over. So I go chase one of his cronies back to the base. I swear at them because... Muh bike bro... Now I'm working for captain shit kicker so I can get a damn fuel pump. Oh yeah and bandages.

I'm not sure if it's part of the quest loop but in order to find the base I had to climb a tower to see where smoke was coming from.

The map is not littered with little icons. You are more or less exploring on your own while you stumble onto stuff. But yeah they is a way marker to main missions.

DanielsM

Banned
Did the framerate ever get fixed?

I would suggest looking at the digital foundry review of the performance. They did note some framerate issues in the game at times, but it appears fairly limited. I would say they are giving it a pretty big thumbs up for the most part. Its one of the reasons I ended up buying the game.

RPGCrazied

I did. I believe he said he was playing review code without a day one patch. Said it would get bad sometimes on PRO even on the bike.

DanielsM

Banned
I did. I believe he said he was playing review code without a day one patch. Said it would get bad sometimes on PRO even on the bike.

Like normal open world games, there is nothing abnormal about performance issues in a game like this - its the norm. The biggest issue can be later in the game and you upgrade the bike, and you can outrun the texture loading at times. I have missions in RDR2 which are impossible for me to finish, freezes whole PS and have to reboot, thank god they are not main story missions.

Last edited:
Kinda bummed that I saw a video of your character looking at the horde from a far and they seem to animate at 10fps... Certain things about this game are less impressive than I thought, not including the bugs/patch.

The more I watch of it the less I want to play another Ubisoft style open world game with crafting and item degradation. Hopefully you all enjoy it though.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Kinda bummed that I saw a video of your character looking at the horde from a far and they seem to animate at 10fps... Certain things about this game are less impressive than I thought, not including the bugs/patch.

The more I watch of it the less I want to play another Ubisoft style open world game with crafting and item degradation. Hopefully you all enjoy it though.
It's half framerate and is a method done in many games such as Assassin's Creed, Hitman etc
For far away objects that aren't close to the player.
Strange this is the first time you noticed it in a game before.
I thought it was a bug first time I saw it in a game
But dark10X explained it
In fact I think he does mentions it in Hitman 2 DF video... I think 🤔
He has mentioned it though
It's not a bug or a performance drop.
It just a technique Devs use to save resources
I suppose you can call it a hardware limitation but I'm sure it exists on PC too.

It's half framerate and is a method done in many games such as Assassin's Creed, Hitman etc
But dark10X explained it
I suppose you can call it a hardware limitation but I'm sure it exists on PC too.

I think REMake 2 uses the same technique.

But dark10X explained it
Its on other games yes and it looks bad there too. Some games are full animation though. Its really noticeable here because of the sheer amount of enemies running at half rate.

bitbydeath

bitbydeath bitbydeath So how's the game so far mate?

I’ve played for about two hours now.
Went with normal difficulty.
The first scene with the bike I was all over the place, the slightest tap left would send me too far in that direction and vice versa. So it wasn’t easy with continually counter correcting but I’d imagine that was due to the weather and the bike simply not upgraded on handling.

As others have mentioned obviously the game looks great and the melee is very satisfying. They are probably the biggest positives I think.

The guns aren’t as good feeling as RDR2 but the controls and speed of the person are a hell of a lot better.

The pickups do seem very much like TLOU almost like ripped directly out of the game.

The cutscene transition is another negative as they have loading between cutscenes and gameplay.

Overall I’m enjoying it but 7-8 feels about right with where I’m at right now. I’m looking forward to upgrading the bike and taking it for a long ride. Right now it’s more tutorially still with moving between small areas.

Without giving too much away I’ve just cleared the second camp. (If we’re counting the first with only the very few 6 or so people inside it.)

Some initial first impressions after 45 minutes

I really take my time with open world games. I’m still just on the first mission at Crazy Willies or whatever, just using stealth and taking my time picking everything up, looking in every corner

It sounds great. The 5.1 mix on my Arctic 7 headset sounds really great, very effective

It looks good. It’s not stunning, overall, visually, but it’s sharp on my 4K gaming monitor and the weather/environment shines much more than the enemies

I’m having fun bashing the fuck out of all these fuckers

Mista

Banned
The first scene with the bike I was all over the place, the slightest tap left would send me too far in that direction and vice versa. So it wasn’t easy with continually counter correcting but I’d imagine that was due to the weather and the bike simply not upgraded on handling.

As others have mentioned obviously the game looks great and the melee is very satisfying. They are probably the biggest positives I think.

The guns aren’t as good feeling as RDR2 but the controls and speed of the person are a hell of a lot better.

The pickups do seem very much like TLOU almost like ripped directly out of the game.

The cutscene transition is another negative as they have loading between cutscenes and gameplay.

Overall I’m enjoying it but 7-8 feels about right with where I’m at right now. I’m looking forward to upgrading the bike and taking it for a long ride. Right now it’s more tutorially still with moving between small areas.

Without giving too much away I’ve just cleared the second camp. (If we’re counting the first with only the very few 6 or so people inside it.)
Thanks for this. Do you have an ssd? Or running the game on internal-external HD?

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

I think this is where I am and I pretty much agree, ya kinda made my post for me.
Although I haven't engaged a hoard yet. and what sort of lags the game has.
I guess that may decide what side of the rating spectrum it ends up on.
But it definitely a solid 7-8 so far.

demigod

Where are you UPS. It's 5p.m. and I'm still at work waiting for them. Hungry as hell since I haven't eaten yet.

Top Bottom