• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone (PS4): The Origin of an Antihero

The self-seriousness of the initial reveal trailer was eye roll inducing. I just can't take a Motorcycle gang/guy obsessed with the 'bike and open road' that seriously and I'm not sure I'd want to spend 30 hours with him.

I'm really hoping there is more to this game than they could show right now because it was a bizarre choice to be so prominent during Sony's show and no hands on feedback from people there has changed my opinion of it coming out of the show.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I really hope this game is good. It's combining two things the market is saturated with: open world and zombies. How is it gonna differentiate itself, what will the hook be? Cautiously excited to see how it turns out.

Hasn't it differentiated itself by combining those two genres? You could argue it is similar to Dead Rising but its tone is entirely different and isn't about creatively killing the opposition. This seems much more like survival horror with action than arcade - y action.

Hopefully monster types fighting amongst themselves, (and the fact they're self-aware) character upgrading and how it allows you to take on encounters in a variety of ways will be enough to get me to play this.

I hope they do a better job of demonstrating the game next time, maybe by showing off features which make it more than another zombie game, that or make it look generally more entertaining if another post-apocalytic monster game is indeed all it is.

Bishop89

If it's not self evident to you then I really can't explain it. Just look at the dude. I'm just talking character design. Maybe when you play it turns out he's a douchebag with a heart of gold.

Deja-vu.

This is sounding awfully similar to people calling Delsin (Infamous SS) a douchebag just coz he had a beanie lol even though he wasn't at all in the game.

Hard

Banned
The hordes is already pretty different.

Bend is going to have to do better than that.

To the average consumer: "Dead Island. Dead Rising. The Last of Us. The Walking Dead. CoD Zombies. There are already lots of great zombie games out there that feature a combination of open world, TPS, hordes, cinematics, and story-telling. What makes this game different? Why should I buy it over those, let alone all the other great games coming out in the same time-frame?"

What's the big hook? As much as I like the game so far, I don't see one.

AudioEppa

Day goddamn Zero. This is the kind of quality I expect, appreciate and always hope to get from Sony.

Comparing this game and main character to the last of us is a complement of the highest regard, so keep saying it haha ;P

First-party PlayStation game set in America starring a grizzled anti-hero trying to survive against humans and zombies infected humans in a very green post-apocalyptic world.

You got me, they're nothing alike.
O so you've seen more than 10 minutes of it. What's the story like? I don't Remeber a open world in the last of us, nor do I Remeber hopping on a bike in the middle of the night having to worry about different weather and the time of day or how much gas I have. What's deacons personality like can u tell me? I'm listening

what exactly makes him a douchebag?

Depending on what type of motorcycle club it is...

The main protagonist is a "Road Captain"...

He might indeed be a douchebag. In fact...the game could only be more "by the numbers" if they go for the whole, "Yeah but he's a bad guy with a heart of gold." It seems like the developers are going for a more Sons of Anarchy MC vibe as opposed to "Dads Riding For Prostate Cancer" MC vibe.

There is some really interesting tech on display here and open world can indeed be fun but as far as I'm concerned the developers really need to bring it if this is going to be more than a Sons of Anarchy / Walking Dead mashup.

To the average consumer: "Dead Island. Dead Rising. The Last of Us. The Walking Dead. CoD Zombies. There are already lots of great zombie games out there that feature a combination of open world, TPS, hordes, cinematics, and story-telling. What makes this game different? Why should I buy it over those, let alone all the other great games coming out in the same time-frame?"

There's also something important to note: all of those games sell well.

It's a post apocalyptic open world survival game that looks beautiful visually, that's heavy on narrative, single player, third person, crafting, "Freaker" hordes with unique mechanics, etc. That *will* resonate with the wider PlayStation audience regardless of how opinion is divided on GAF.

The God

Yes because they are the same :/

They're not 100% the same but I don't see how you can say they aren't very similar.

Two narrative-driven post-apocalyptic first party games with infected

bruh even the infected in this game sound like they could've been placed in TLOU (Clickers, Runners, Stalkers, "Freakers")

Loudninja

Unfortunate that people automatically assume grizzled, violent anti-hero= Joel, as if someone can't have more character traits to differentiate themselves from one another. I'm already interested in his past, the motorcycle gang and his role as an actual bounty hunter.

Anyway, I'm extremely excited for the game. I love games with dark tones and survival. Crafting, heavy emphasis on the motorcycle, dynamic world and weather in a big (and gorgeous) open world is right up my alley. Can't wait.
The game has alot of different weather too:
“You can go anywhere,” says Pape. “There’ll be waypoint on the map you can set, you can set your own waypoints, you can fast travel for some of the areas because it is such an expansive map”. And, while the demo showed a forrest location Pape says the north west American setting has been chosen specifically for the extreme environments it can provide. “You’ve for the mountains, snow, hail, rain wind, high dessert. City wise you’ll encounter abandoned suburbs, towns, it’s not just going to be in the woods”.
http://www.gamesradar.com/days-gone...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

That's what appeals to me. Zombies should be like an environmental hazard as part of your dealings with other humans.
Yeah I like it.

Linconan

It's going to be so awkward if The Last of Us 2 is unveiled before this game comes out. People will forget about it in an instant.

*shakes head.gif*
Nah...

Last of Us 2 will be story driven like previous titles from ND.
Days Gone will be more Open World Survival.

I wished when first hearing of Last of Us years ago, it was going to be more of a sandbox survival gameplay... But Story driven suited it obviously for progressive gameplay and story telling.
Even though, i believe, The Last of Us is the best game out there and while nothing else comes close it still doesn't fill my void, of satisfying my free roaming at my own free will of gameplay.

I'm super pumped for Days Gone, more so, than Last of Us 2.

Both will be on my Day1 list.

DrBo42

I can't believe that quote about him finding himself because he no longer has his motorcycle gang is real. They can't be serious.

The opening trailer had already shown a little of the characters briefly... It would've been cool if Sony had just closed it with the extended gameplay where it demonstrated how dynamic the enviornments were...

Apathy

There's also something important to note: all of those games sell well.

It's a post apocalyptic open world survival game that looks beautiful visually, that's heavy on narrative, single player, third person, crafting, "Freaker" hordes with unique mechanics, etc. That *will* resonate with the wider PlayStation audience regardless of how opinion is divided on GAF.

Thats what I found funny about his post. The average consumer likes open world zombie games. So this game is right up the average consumer's taste.

Alienous

By all reasonable predictions it isn't going to be better than The Last of Us, so at this point I have no interest. I don't understand the rationale in Sony retreading such similar ground.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
By all reasonable predictions it isn't going to be better than The Last of Us, so at this point I have no interest. I don't understand the rationale in retreading such similar ground.

Its a totally different game for one... I mean how is this so hard? Everyone goes,"Its just The Last of Us" like they are being real clever and astute. Because why? Bearded white guy with issues in the post apocalypse? TLoU didn't even crafting items in real time and aside from that the similarities end.

It takes place in an open world in the Pacific Northwest with vehicles to be driven, can go anywhere, there are safe places to hide, trade and get quests. The zombies have several different varities with the horde only being one and the horde in of itself is not something we've seen in games, let an open world one, since maybe Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, and again those were linear.

Really now what were the similarities again?

Brofield

I mean, based on the trailer, I'll still blubber like a bawling baby when his wife/girlfriend turns into a zombie in the dumbest, most preventable way imaginable.

GeoramA

I can't believe that quote about him finding himself because he no longer has his motorcycle gang is real. They can't be serious.
Sounds like Sons of Anarchy, one of the game's inspirations. I think back to that episode where they burn off that former member's tattoos.

Alienous

Its a totally different game for one... I mean how is this so hard? Everyone goes,"Its just The Last of Us" like they are being real clever and astute. Because why? Bearded white guy with issues in the post apocalypse? TLoU didn't even crafting items in real time and aside from that the similarities end.

It takes place in an open world in the Pacific Northwest with vehicles to be driven, can go anywhere, there are safe places to hide, trade and get quests. The zombies have several different varities with the horde only being one and the horde in of itself is not something we've seen in games, let an open world one, since maybe Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, and again those were linear.

Really now what were the similarities again?

You're right. They do have differences, but in the scope of what video games can be they seem pretty similar, and Day's Gone seems less interesting than TLOU.

Gurish

I know its not new, but I havent seen this pic until this PS Blog post, impressive stuff

27046963313_b55c38a40c_b.jpg

The game is gorgeous, just needs a better gunplay.

Aikidoka

Days Gone has the most eye-rolling character type. I have really low expectations of the game after seeing the game feature White American Dude with Traumatic Past (lost his wife) for the millionth time

:lol

Yeah this is my concern. The trailer was pretty bland and generic. Hopefully it is not indicative of what we get with the story.

The game world itself seems like it could be interesting, though.

I mean, based on the trailer, I'll still blubber like a bawling baby when his wife/girlfriend turns into a zombie in the dumbest, most preventable way imaginable.
They'd be better doing pretty much anything else. If the wife is still human and alive, for example, I'd probably get more hyped. Make it to where the wife leaves him cuz he's an asshole or can't cope or something. I guess it worked for TLOU, but this trope is something I think would be better left to die.

v1lla21

Yall don't get it! He's a 1 percenter, an outcast. I see none of yall have earned your patches and your cuts are probably cleaned every other day with Tide. Yall don't know jack shit about the OMG life.

KoopaTheCasual

If it's not self evident to you then I really can't explain it. Just look at the dude. I'm just talking character design. Maybe when you play it turns out he's a douchebag with a heart of gold.
If you can't tell what stupid about this post then I really can't explain it. Just look at it.

firelogic

So everyone here that doesn't like Days Gone because it's just TLoU all over again, what's your opinion on TLoU2? I hope you have no interest in that game as well since it's going to be even more similar to TLoU than DG.

What was The Last of Us' unique hook then? It didn't really have one; it was just a really good game. Days Gone already looks like it's doing a couple of interesting things, and I don't see why this game is being judged purely on the basis that it's not necessarily unique or original.

Unknown?

They're not 100% the same but I don't see how you can say they aren't very similar.

Two narrative-driven post-apocalyptic first party games with infected

bruh even the infected in this game sound like they could've been placed in TLOU (Clickers, Runners, Stalkers, "Freakers")

That's like saying Bloodborne and The Witcher are very similar. Or Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon are very similar.

HStallion

You're right. They do have differences, but in the scope of what video games can be they seem pretty similar, and Day's Gone seems less interesting than TLOU.

Hah sorry didn't mean to jump on you but its a complaint I see in a lot of drive by posts that I think rings hollow.

Yall don't get it! He's a 1 percenter, an outcast. I see none of yall have earned your patches and your cuts are probably cleaned every other day with Tide. Yall don't know jack shit about the OMG life.

This thread just keeps delivering...as long as you're being serious.

Lingitiz

I really disliked how the guys at Bend were fighting so hard against saying their game was a "zombie game". Either embrace that moniker or show that your game is actually different from everything else.

I thought the E3 showing was really flat, but there could be potential there. The shooting looked extremely weightless and if the hook of this game is the large impressive crowd tech, I don't know if that's enough anymore.

The Bend Studio pedigree how honestly does not mean a ton to me after RAD showed difficulty in transitioning to AAA console development. No guarantees at this point.

What was The Last of Us' unique hook then? It didn't really have one; it was just a really good game. Days Gone already looks like it's doing a couple of interesting things, and I don't see why this game is being judged purely on the basis that it's not necessarily unique or original.
TLOU was a slower and more methodical game made by one of the best developers in the world known for bombast and spectacle, taking a left field shift they hadn't done before. In contrast we have a studio that hasn't done much in recent years entering the two most crowded genres, zombie survival and open world.

HStallion

I really disliked how the guys at Bend were fighting so hard against saying their game was a "zombie game". Either embrace that moniker or show that your game is actually different from everything else.

I thought the E3 showing was really flat, but there could be potential there. The Bend Studio pedigree how honestly does not mean a ton to me after RAD showed difficulty in transitioning to AAA console development. They have something to prove.

There was more gameplay in the stage demo and extended demo for Days Gone than in the entirety of the Order 1886. Its not the same situation at all.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Honestly I wish they had just set the game in a different country. Zombie in the US is so boring at this point.

What about Indian biker gang dude? Or Russian? Or Malaysian? Or Rwandan? Or Iranian?

So many possibilities yet we get the worst possible outcome. US is the center of the world as always

Well maybe a European studio could do that. American studios make games that take place in America. Not hard to understand why.

-d0hv

O so you've seen more than 10 minutes of it. What's the story like? I don't Remeber a open world in the last of us, nor do I Remeber hopping on a bike in the middle of the night having to worry about different weather and the time of day or how much gas I have. What's deacons personality like can u tell me? I'm listening

Sure, if you get into the nitty gritty of things then of course you're going to be able to discern what both games do differently. But at their foundation, the two games are notably similar, to the point that I'm surprised Sony greenlit something that evokes TLoU so strongly. Or maybe that's exactly why they greenlit it in the first place. The fact that it's open world hardly makes it stand out from the crowd given that an open world setting is all the rage among developers right now. If anything, that just makes the game even more shrug-worthy (to me).

It's going to be even more awkward when ND's next game isn't The Last Of Us 2.

I pray you're right. As much as I love TLoU, I don't want a sequel in the slightest. Especially after E3.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Days Gone has the most eye-rolling character type. I have really low expectations of the game after seeing the game feature White American Dude with Traumatic Past (lost his wife) for the millionth time

:lol

I prefer white American protagonists personally so I have no problem with it. Being a biker is pretty unique as far as protags are concerned as well. I am happy Bend is making the game they want to make. Even if the zombie genre is pretty crowded.

My biggest worry is that the gunplay will not be good.

Zukkoyaki

I don't think the comparing of TLOU and Days Gone is irrational at all. I mean, how could you not with the serious post-apocalyptic zombie factor.

But after reading some articles and watching some interviews, they're going to differ where it matters most: Gameplay.

The Last of Us is a linear, story-driven action game. It's all about making your way through carefully crafted, pre-designed levels.

Days Gone is an open-world action game with an emphasis on dynamic encounters and gameplay. There's also the vehicle factor which will hopefully play a significant role.

I think they're different enough to warrant Days Gone's existence. Look at Microsoft revealing Dead Rising and State of Decay at the same conference. Both zombie games, but in terms of gameplay they're wildly different.

Mezoly

By all reasonable predictions it isn't going to be better than The Last of Us, so at this point I have no interest. I don't understand the rationale in Sony retreading such similar ground.
Most game won't be as good as the last of us, so most companies might as well stop making games.

Loudninja

Why does this even matter? They not trying to make Last of Us anyway.

Top Bottom