• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

Just watched Assault on Arkham again, it's so good.

Harley is so nuts in this.

I really hope they capture Harleys craziness in the SS movie.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so correct me if i'm wrong, but MacLaren wanted her Wonder Woman movie to have
- Talking tiger sidekick
- 4 different outfits for Diana
- World War 1 setting
- Damsel in distress type Steve Trevor.
- Less action
and WB said no. right?

well I think they were right dropping her, this seems to be like Superman Lives/Batman and Robin kind of a clusterfuck.

DaveH

so correct me if i'm wrong, but MacLaren wanted her Wonder Woman movie to have
- Talking tiger sidekick
- 4 different outfits for Diana
- World War 1 setting
- Damsel in distress type Steve Trevor.
- Less action
and WB said no. right?
I think it was 6 outfits including a scuba-suit, more action, and the WB didn't say "No" initially....

Tthey provided notes- like they do for all directors- but gave her a chance to convince them with her own script-treatment and let her run pre-production for a bit. The WB is open to being convinced, but after a while she wasn't able to. They liked different scripts better than hers and it seemed like she wasn't getting the hang of big-budget pre-production fast enough.

Doesn't mean she wouldn't be great at it under a different studio, different pace, or different system... but under their system, for her first attempt at this cutting her teeth on big budget, she wasn't a good fit. Honestly, if she was flying through pre-production, churning out good stuff, I think the studio would have let her do her take.

It doesn't mean they don't issue notes... even Billion-Dollar-Bringer Whedon says he was questioned on everything on Avengers 2. Being challenged or questioned doesn't mean they necessarily veto you unless / until it seems like you can't do the job they expected.

3N16MA

Banned
So after BvS there is a good chance Terrio is the frontrunner to write Justice League (if the rumors are true). Possibly Batman solo film if Affleck is directing.

He will have his hands all over the DCCU.

IconGrist

So after BvS there is a good chance Terrio is the frontrunner to write Justice League (if the rumors are true). Possibly Batman solo film if Affleck is directing.

He will have his hands all over the DCCU.

If BvS is as good as the rumors suggest then I am more than fine with that.

From Snyder's Twitter:
Ha ha ha, the joke’s on you Batman… #cryptic #75th
mX4UIFr.jpg

Does this possibly mean something for BvS?

ReiGun

So if Katana exist in the DC movie universe, does that mean the Green Arrow is there somewhere in the DCCU?

I'm sure Green Arrow is out there somewhere, but Katana isn't necessarily a guarantee of that. I think WB/DC is trying to push Katana more. Makes sense, as she's one of their few Asian female characters.

I expect her to join the Justice League in the sequel. Or hell, maybe they'll switch it up and she'll be in the first film.

mooncakes

I just want a Green Arrow, escaped from supermax movie :(

Katana is my favorite one out of the Suicide Sqaud member so far cause her costume looks great.

Odoul

Something that came to me in light of leaks of Wondy and Harley, DC could really sell itself on it's stable of women.

Not only do they have alot of heroes AND villains who are female they're all visually distinct and begging to be put on screen.

Much as I appreciated Nolan's movies we might actually be able to get some of the more off the wall heavies like Poison Ivy.

The other mortal tribe of Amazons (in the Sahara?).

Circe could be glorious if pulled off with the right actress.

The current cartoon Teen Titans lineup would clean the fuck up as a movie.

I hope beyond hope we actually get there but I can't wait to see the Furies and Barda in all their glory.

My opinion at least.

Barda would absolutely destroy. Seriously, how great would that be? Plus, she and Scott tie in nicely to Darkseid. We could get a New Gods movie... drool.

Agreed about the more general point as well. Even as early as Suicide Squad, DC does seem to be bringing the heat in terms of diversity.

tim1138

Barda would absolutely destroy. Seriously, how great would that be? Plus, she and Scott tie in nicely to Darkseid. We could get a New Gods movie... drool.

Agreed about the more general point as well. Even as early as Suicide Squad, DC does seem to be bringing the heat in terms of diversity.

If I'm not mistaken, there were a couple of attempts in the 80s to get a New Gods movie off the ground. I can't remember if it was in Supergods or Mark Evanier's Kirby biography that I saw that. So there's definitely precedent for interest in bringing the Fourth World to the big screen.

The problem with the New Gods is that they are literally too smart for DC comics. I would even say they don't deserve it. The endless years spent shafting everyone but Darkseid, and then having the gall to make him job to the likes of fucking Doomsday disgusts me.

Also, there's a reason Orion is supposed to be the one to beat Darkseid. He isn't a Superman villain, as much as I like Superman

New Gods needs a movie. To me the New Gods are the best in their own world, mostly separate from the DC universe.

New Gods, if done right, would be WB's answer to Disney's Star Wars. Hell, I could even see them take a Guardians of the Galaxy approach. Anyway they do it, as long as it happens because a New Gods movie would be awesome.

tim1138

The best thing about the Fourth World is it's so character rich they could absolutely have it standalone as a film franchise and not be connected to the DCCU. You have the inhabitants of Apokolips, New Genesis, as well as the Forever People on Earth. There is a ton you can do there without involving superheroes. How great would a Big Barda/Mr Miracle movie be? Or an Orion solo movie?

ReiGun

The only thing standing in the way of keeping the New Gods separate is DC is absolutely going to want to have Darkseid and his forces face the JLA in a movie.

As for DC and women, they and Marvel both have wonderful female characters. But DC is in the advantageous position of not having the Disney Princesses standing in the way of them utilizing them fully like Marvel does. Cause as we know, that's the main thing standing in the way of Black Widow getting a movie and causing Gamora and BW to be left out of merch: Disney don't need them.

Obviously they've got "the big gun" in Wonder Woman. We've also seen that Suicide Squad will have four female characters, all of whom could potentially appear in later movies. And while she's not currently cast, you know "Aquaman" is going to serve us all the Mera we can handle.

One thing I've been wondering is how open would people be to Green Lantern - the only leaguer who hasn't been cast - being left out of the first JLA movie to have a female character take his spot. Mind you, this already happened on JL/JLU, except it was Aquaman who got bumped for Hawkgirl.

They've got a few to choose from. There's Katana, who will already be introduced in Suicide Squad. Mera, who's easy enough to explain with Arthur there. There's also Black Canary, who is already popular and has been on the league several times (including once being a founding member). If that one actress truly is Carrie Kelly, it could be a fun way to introduce Robin. And there's the dark horses of Zatanna and Vixen.

Penguin

The only thing standing in the way of keeping the New Gods separate is DC is absolutely going to want to have Darkseid and his forces face the JLA in a movie.

As for DC and women, they and Marvel both have wonderful female characters. But DC is in the advantageous position of not having the Disney Princesses standing in the way of them utilizing them fully like Marvel does. Cause as we know, that's the main thing standing in the way of Black Widow getting a movie and causing Gamora and BW to be left out of merch: Disney don't need them.

Obviously they've got "the big gun" in Wonder Woman. We've also seen that Suicide Squad will have four female characters, all of whom could potentially appear in later movies. And while she's not currently cast, you know "Aquaman" is going to serve us all the Mera we can handle.

One thing I've been wondering is how open would people be to Green Lantern - the only leaguer who hasn't been cast - being left out of the first JLA movie to have a female character take his spot. Mind you, this already happened on JL/JLU, except it was Aquaman who got bumped for Hawkgirl.

They've got a few to choose from. There's Katana, who will already be introduced in Suicide Squad. Mera, who's easy enough to explain with Arthur there. There's also Black Canary, who is already popular and has been on the league several times (including once being a founding member). If that one actress truly is Carrie Kelly, it could be a fun way to introduce Robin. And there's the dark horses of Zatanna and Vixen.

Queen Mera, to you!

DaveH

http://collider.com/tom-hardy-taboo-filming-dc-comics-movie-tv-series/

HARDY: I actually got something cooking with Warner Bros. which is also a comic book, it’s a DC thing which is kind of…

HARDY: It’s really good actually, it contains elements of all kinds of stuff. From Ocean’s Eleven, to Batman, you can get all the wrappers out and it would be a big, really cool, Technicolor, Pulp Fiction…It’s a psychological fuckfest, it’s absolutely awesome. It’s as if you would take Transmetropolitan and make it happen, but it’s not that out there it’s something which is much more real world. It could be like Heat, it could be fucking awesome. Let me tell you what it is, try and guess.

HARDY: I actually got something cooking with Warner Bros. which is also a comic book, it’s a DC thing which is kind of…

HARDY: It’s really good actually, it contains elements of all kinds of stuff. From Ocean’s Eleven, to Batman, you can get all the wrappers out and it would be a big, really cool, Technicolor, Pulp Fiction…It’s a psychological fuckfest, it’s absolutely awesome. It’s as if you would take Transmetropolitan and make it happen, but it’s not that out there it’s something which is much more real world. It could be like Heat, it could be fucking awesome. Let me tell you what it is, try and guess.

Heist movie, Batman movie, Pulp Fiction... I swear he's describing Suicide Squad :p

But since it's not that, I got nothin'

Busty

Banned
New Gods needs a movie. To me the New Gods are the best in their own world, mostly separate from the DC universe.

I know for a fact that Warners are developing a New Gods and, at one point, it had a lot of momentum at the studio. I believe that there some speculation that a major director was interested in the project and it was 'heating up' as a result.

When the rumours that Darkseid would feature in a Justice League film started I though that WB might introduce him in a New Gods film and then send him to battle Batman etc. When Warners announced their DCU line up and there was no New Gods film it was clear the project had either lost its momentum at the studio or might be 'spun off' from Darkseid's introduction via the Justice League.

I read the article three times and could barely make head nor tails of it. If I had to guess I'd say that it's a Vertigo project (such as Fables or Planetary) or it's something new that we haven't seen or heard about yet.

But the suggestion that it could be a film and a companion TV series is really intriguing.

DaveH

Heist movie, Batman movie, Pulp Fiction... I swear he's describing Suicide Squad :p

But since it's not that, I got nothin'

I read the article three times and could barely make head nor tails of it. If I had to guess I'd say that it's a Vertigo project (such as Fables or Planetary) or it's something new that we haven't seen or heard about yet.

But the suggestion that it could be a film and a companion TV series is really intriguing.

I don't think they're doing it, but my dream would be a Chase / Manhunter series. Chase is basically the X-Files of the DCU, working for the DEO, and Manhunter is "What if Daredevil was Punisher and Jessica Jones?" Sort of. Really "realistic" stuff but with the capacity to go really weird really quickly, lead by strong female protagonists.

tim1138

I don't think they're doing it, but my dream would be a Chase / Manhunter series. Chase is basically the X-Files of the DCU, working for the DEO, and Manhunter is "What if Daredevil was Punisher and Jessica Jones?" Sort of. Really "realistic" stuff but with the capacity to go really weird really quickly, lead by strong female protagonists.

Seeing a live action Mr Bones would be really weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom