• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
well...

who's ready for the onslaught of "George Miller should do x DC movie" comments? :))))

Have to watch Fury Road before I can actually say if I want him handling a DC project and which one.

Man is old enough that I'd rather he do what projects he wants.

Kamandi fits that post apocalypse mold. Looking at his work he has a lot of diversity in movies, action, comedy, and fantasy. I guess he could work on anything.

3N16MA

Banned
well...

who's ready for the onslaught of "George Miller should do x DC movie" comments? :))))

Have to watch Fury Road before I can actually say if I want him handling a DC project and which one.

Well it's been mentioned a few times considering his connection to the previous JL film. It's obvious he has a relationship with WB and was once willing to do a comic based film.

Imperial

well...

Well it's been mentioned a few times considering his connection to the previous JL film. It's obvious he has a relationship with WB and was once willing to do a comic based film.

On the off-chance that Zack Snyder fucks up BvS, maybe George Miller can replace him for Justice League.

strafer

So this is pretty sweet
Just gonna drop this anecdote here since I just remembered it... I was at the BvS IMAX event. On line next to me was a real nice guy that works at Forbidden Planet, the Manhattam comic book shop (naturally he had a big ole Batman tattoo on his arm and was wearing a Supes baseball cap ) and of course on a line like that we just all started talking fan stuff, and rumors and casting. This guy takes out his phone and showed us a picture of him and Ezra Miller together. He said that Miller had recently come into the store and was asking for help looking for as much Flash stuff as he could find. No one but this dude recognized him which is why he took the pic with him. So... Brother Miller IS doing his homework.

Kamandi fits that post apocalypse mold. Looking at his work he has a lot of diversity in movies, action, comedy, and fantasy. I guess he could work on anything.

He would literally be the best choice possible for Shazam, Justice League OR Wonder Woman right now lol. Dudes got a hand in it all

He would literally be the best choice possible for Shazam, Justice League OR Wonder Woman right now lol. Dudes got a hand in it all

Could see him dippin' his hand into Flash as well but I'm still holding out for Lord to direct it. It'd be great if he had enthusiasm for Shazam and WB pushed it forward. I think Jenkins will go forward with WW.

I can't imagine WB abandoning Snyder either. They have to start filming Justice League soon and I think it would be awful for PR if they booted Snyder after saying he would direct it. It certainly would make WB look like they don't have faith in BvS.

So today marks 2 months away from SDCC (July 9-12). What can we hope/expect to see there?

-Deathstroke casting
-GL casting
-Suicide Squad test footage
-Shazam casting
-Directors for Flash, possibly Shazam announced
-Vertigo slate unveiled
-Dark Universe
-Sandman
-BvS teaser trailer 2/WW reveal?
-Costume Stills for Cyborg (given Ray's tweets, sooner?), Flash, GL, more?

Plus some DCTV Stuff and DC Animation 2016 projects

Pretty cool article on how Man of Steels internet notoriety might be influencing movies (for better or worse)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2015/05/13/the-avengers-vs-man-of-steel/

Never really thought of it psychologically, but I suppose it makes sense. I think it's more about presentation of destruction than the idea of it. Nobody seems to give a shit that
an entire city was literally destroyed by Ultron, or that Tony created the robot and never apologized for it or felt guilt over what it did, because the destruction in AoU is an after thought
. It's just something that happens and everyone in universe seems to ignore. The destruction in Man of Steel was shown with dreary music and observable reactions from the people it was affecting. I guess in some way people don't like being confronted with the idea that disasters do happen. For me, that creates a sense of immersion and attachment to characters. I find movies more enjoyable when I care about what happens to the characters, even if they're not the protagonists. Hell, I sympathized with Zod on some level when his civilization was lost to him. You could feel the desperation pouring off of him.

Of course people put out the argument "comic books should be fun". Which I find absurd. It instantly sets off an alarm that the person hasn't actually ever read a comic, or hasn't read one since the 70's. I'm not saying comic books shouldn't be fun, rather that comic books can be anything. There's a variety of comic books out there, even cape ones, that are different in tone or message. Restricting it to one tone sounds incredibly boring.

I hope WB does a fury road and releases whatever footage they show of batman v superman and suicide squad at comic con this year. i am intrigued by the joker performance.

I'm actually vaguely impressed, it took 3 pages for the thread on the Washington Post article for the MCU-GAF defense force to show up.

I hope WB does a fury road and releases whatever footage they show of batman v superman and suicide squad at comic con this year. i am intrigued by the joker performance.

It'd be pretty easy for them to soak up the show, I don't think MCU branch is attending at all. At the very least I expect a BvS trailer.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Honest question, do you guys want Kryptonite in the DCCU?

I ask this because I noticed that some in the BvS threads always go talks about kryptonite, even when in DCCU Superman do have a new weakness that do the same thing as kryptonite (Krypton's atmosphere, and someone like Batman or Lex might be able to make a machine that make an area have that krypton atmosphere or something) but I seemany people always ignore that and go/wish for kryptonite.

for me I don't want Kryptonite at all, Kryptonite is almost a joke " hey supes take this green rock...boom Supes deafeted" it's just lazy and will lead to stupid fights.

Superman's weakness to kryptonite, like anything else, is a tool. In the hands of some writers it works like you said, a cheap plot device. In the hands of others, it's more nuanced. It doesn't always weaken/kill him instantly, sometimes it just bypasses his invulnerability, or it does weaken him but more slowly.

As is my habit, I recommend reading New Frontier; there's a fight between Superman and Batman in it (not the one alluded to in the first few pages) that uses kryptonite and it doesn't feel at all cheap or unfair.

If they do have kryptonite it shouldn't be super strong. I don't think this incarnation of supes will be that much above the rest of the league. They should probably disregard the magic thing as well if they keep him at the strength level he's at now.

If he starts planet busting then yeah, magic and strong kryptonite should be a thing.

Penguin

Seems like confirms Lord and Miller are writing The Flash and it will be Barry

"We’re trying to break a story. It’s interesting, because there’s a really popular TV show out there, and we’re trying to carve out space for the movie that’s apart from that. I think we’re doing alright. … I believe [our Flash] is going to be Barry Allen," Lord revealed. "It’s going to be it’s own [thing, apart from the TV show] — we’re more trying to stick with the cinematic universe… it really is its own thing, and kind of a stand-alone movie. We’re just trying to think of the best story. I think you guys will like it, it’s kind of a different take on superhero stuff."

https://youtu.be/8MRHIu_WS9Q

The way he's wording "stand alone" reinforces my idea that the DC cinematic universe won't be as tightly wound together as Marvel. In that there won't be Thanos/Infinity Stone - like scenes interjected in the movies, but they'll still be the same actors and won't contradict the other movies. Which is a good thing imo, I feel like sometimes in the Marvel movies that films serve as back door pilots or filler until the next big film, I felt that a lot watching Ironman 2 and Avengers 2.

the words 'different take' and 'standalone' always bode well for these films. i've been so jaded on connected-universes after marvel tbh.

what shweinehund is saying sounds better if they go that route.

The way he's wording "stand alone" reinforces my idea that the DC cinematic universe won't be as tightly wound together as Marvel. In that there won't be Thanos/Infinity Stone - like scenes interjected in the movies, but they'll still be the same actors and won't contradict the other movies. Which is a good thing imo, I feel like sometimes in the Marvel movies that films serve as back door pilots or filler until the next big film, I felt that a lot watching Ironman 2 and Avengers 2.

I think the problem of the connected Universe is that the scale of the threat in the movie sometimes gets larger than the scale of the cast. I.e. in Winter Soldier Project Insight is a global threat yet Banner, Stark and Hawkeye are MIA (Don't get me wrong WS is competing with IM1 as best MCU movie). Same thing in Thor 2, that was a Cosmic Level threat, yet no one shows up or is even on alert.

ReiGun

Which is how it should be between the two. The Marvel Universe has always felt a little more connected, which is natural considering most of the major heroes live in the same city. DC's heroes are more spread out, so they always felt like they occupied their own worlds a little more.

I think WB would to well to avoid having big world ending threats in these movies like Marvel does. Even if comic fans are willing to overlook things like Cap not showing up to help rescue the President or no one showing up to help Thor when Malekith was destroying reality (or whatever the fuck he was doing), casual fans are asking more and more why the Avengers aren't showing up. Scaling down the threats in solo movies to reinforce the idea that the League only gets together when shit is truly hitting the fan would be appreciated.

Obviously, this is harder for heroes like Wonder Woman and Superman, given the power levels of their rogues. But most of the League is fine in this regard. Batman and Flash don't need help with their villains, GL is usually off world, and Aquaman has political reasons to prevent him from calling the League even if he wanted to.

DaveH

Here are the raw tweets by Umberto Gonzalez / elmayimbe formerly of Latino Review, now attempting his own HeroicHollywood site:

@robertliefeld I was invited to an ENTOURAGE screening at the mansion on Wed. I'm was flying in for that. Indian Givers that they are, they pulled my invitation as retaliation for breaking the BvS Imax trailer event. Weeks after the fact. There is a publicist who has it in for me. This is what I get for being the ENTOURAGE movie biggest supporter & cheerleader online.

Will be making a live appearance on @SchmoesKnow this Thursday to break a MASSIVE @heroichollywood scoop live on the air! Tune in! RT

Guys, this isn't even about the pictures. It's about supposedly leaking #BatmanvSuperman Imax trailer presentation. A fair game scoop.

If I didn't break the story, guess who else was going to? But bc he plays ball & I happen to be exceptionally quick on the draw, I'm bad guy

So be careful aspiring fanboy journos, you break a totally fair legitimate scoop, it is a highly punishable offense at Warners.

You think you heard it all concerning DC in that exceptional report by Kim Masters & Borys Kit? Not by a longshot. Stay tuned.

I can see Warner's justification for slapping him on the wrist... I just hope he gets it instead of going kamikaze.

Let's not forget, the last person to do a big breach of WB security with a scoop was Nikki Finke (publishing an alleged DC movie slate months in advance of the investor's meeting) just as she was attempting to start her own gossip website. Where is she now? Look what happened to her.

DaveH

You care too much about corporate interests.

I care more about journalistic integrity.

When you wait for confirmation, ask for comment, and responsibly report, the truth, context, and consequences of the reporting matter... but so far Umberto's only after speed and he's encouraging others to believe amateurs can make a living off speed without best practices.

We trust journalists to educate us about current events, etc, because they have the luxury of investing more time and energy into discovering truths in these areas than the rest of us do; that’s their job and their role. We don’t use the word “trust” here lightly. When it is discovered that a journalist plagiarized, manufactured a false story, withheld important information, or failed to disclose a conflict of interest, we feel violated, which is why Brian Williams is on permanent suspension for the foreseeable future.

Within our society, the concept of a profession carries with it certain assumptions. Professionals are people who have received specialized training, making them experts in their particular fields. Society places special trust in its professionals, and with each professional field comes a special set of privileges and responsibilities, specific to the profession. For example, doctors ask us the most personal questions, see us at our worst, and cut us open with sharp instruments. In exchange for these special “privileges,” doctors are responsible for keeping the information we share with them private, not making us worse off than we were when we walked in their door, and so forth.

These profession-specific obligations are referred to as institutional duties, and the professional organizations that back the members of particular fields often lay out their specific moral obligations in a formalized way. Doctors swear the Hippocratic Oath, lawyers follow the code of conduct established by the American Bar Association, and journalists are bound by the Code of Ethics of the Society of Professional Journalists... but Umberto doesn't follow any of these rules.

A normal, ethical journalist can have a conversation with corporate and part ways professionally, whether or not they agree. Umberto leaves them no option but to slap him on the wrist and to take it personally, because he doesn't know how to take a hint. He's not obligated to publish whatever their publicist tries to feed him, but it's petulant to then believe he's entitled to access Warner doesn't have to give him.

Is it really surprising they don't want him at the barbeque after he broadcasts how he goes through their underwear drawers the day before?

Penguin

Meh

I mean Warner is free to do what they want. I mean he can break the scoop, that doesn't mean they need to be happy about it.

I care more about journalistic integrity.

When you wait for confirmation, ask for comment, and responsibly report, the truth, context, and consequences of the reporting matter... but so far Umberto's only after speed and he's encouraging others to believe amateurs can make a living off speed without best practices.

We trust journalists to educate us about current events, etc, because they have the luxury of investing more time and energy into discovering truths in these areas than the rest of us do; that’s their job and their role. We don’t use the word “trust” here lightly. When it is discovered that a journalist plagiarized, manufactured a false story, withheld important information, or failed to disclose a conflict of interest, we feel violated, which is why Brian Williams is on permanent suspension for the foreseeable future.

Within our society, the concept of a profession carries with it certain assumptions. Professionals are people who have received specialized training, making them experts in their particular fields. Society places special trust in its professionals, and with each professional field comes a special set of privileges and responsibilities, specific to the profession. For example, doctors ask us the most personal questions, see us at our worst, and cut us open with sharp instruments. In exchange for these special “privileges,” doctors are responsible for keeping the information we share with them private, not making us worse off than we were when we walked in their door, and so forth.

These profession-specific obligations are referred to as institutional duties, and the professional organizations that back the members of particular fields often lay out their specific moral obligations in a formalized way. Doctors swear the Hippocratic Oath, lawyers follow the code of conduct established by the American Bar Association, and journalists are bound by the Code of Ethics of the Society of Professional Journalists... but Umberto doesn't follow any of these rules.

A normal, ethical journalist can have a conversation with corporate and part ways professionally, whether or not they agree. Umberto leaves them no option but to slap him on the wrist and to take it personally, because he doesn't know how to take a hint. He's not obligated to publish whatever their publicist tries to feed him, but it's petulant to then believe he's entitled to access Warner doesn't have to give him.

Is it really surprising they don't want him at the barbeque after he broadcasts how he goes through their underwear drawers the day before?

I agree with everything you posted, but the simpler point here is that he isn't a professional in his craft and only does it for the clicks.

I'm sure if he cared about integrity and ethics he would follow them to the T, but he made his choice on how to go about his craft.

Then again, I can't say I care too much and also WB can squash him as a fly in the Corporate USA anytime they please.

I do wonder though, what is it to you DaveH? Why do you care so much?

DaveH

Damn, good news that they're at least writing. Wonder if they'll hop on board to direct too.
They're writing a treatment which may get picked up and, if so, sets them up to direct it. Despite MacLaren's departure, we learned she also put together a treatment for Wonder Woman, so this is normal for people on a directorial track. Let a prospective director pitch their vision and, if they like it, throw money at them until you get something like Fury Road... or Jupiter Ascending.

Filmmaker-centric vs. producer-centric.

I think the problem of the connected Universe is that the scale of the threat in the movie sometimes gets larger than the scale of the cast. I.e. in Winter Soldier Project Insight is a global threat yet Banner, Stark and Hawkeye are MIA (Don't get me wrong WS is competing with IM1 as best MCU movie). Same thing in Thor 2, that was a Cosmic Level threat, yet no one shows up or is even on alert.

Which is how it should be between the two. The Marvel Universe has always felt a little more connected, which is natural considering most of the major heroes live in the same city. DC's heroes are more spread out, so they always felt like they occupied their own worlds a little more.

I think WB would to well to avoid having big world ending threats in these movies like Marvel does. Even if comic fans are willing to overlook things like Cap not showing up to help rescue the President or no one showing up to help Thor when Malekith was destroying reality (or whatever the fuck he was doing), casual fans are asking more and more why the Avengers aren't showing up. Scaling down the threats in solo movies to reinforce the idea that the League only gets together when shit is truly hitting the fan would be appreciated.

Obviously, this is harder for heroes like Wonder Woman and Superman, given the power levels of their rogues. But most of the League is fine in this regard. Batman and Flash don't need help with their villains, GL is usually off world, and Aquaman has political reasons to prevent him from calling the League even if he wanted to.

That's definitely true. One thing I think DC nails especially well is the breadth of settings they have. They could easily do films in Atlantis, Greek mythological realms, deep scifi space, dream/magic Realms, various futures (especially with Flash/Booster Gold) and much more.

I'm not so finicky about "what is x" doing, but yeah each hero should have their own "realm". Once they establish Superman as the hero of metropolis he should have some adventures in War World or New God territory. Diana is fun in that they're already playing around with the idea of period pieces and she could have a Game of Throne type arc with the Greek Pantheon, with Strife, Hera, Apollo, Circe and Areas all fighting for Olympus over centuries. GL should be focused on him and his crops tackling issues, I'm 100% sure that we'll see Sinestro Corp Wars or the other Lantern Corps over his movies.

With all these influx of Suicide Squad set leaks, people are understandably losing their minds about spoilers. If this continues to be a problem, I'm thinking we should dedicate this thread to all unmarked spoiler discussions relating to the DCMU.

Color me dubious. Aren't Static's rights currently in a bit of a disaster area atm?

Yeah that's what I thought as well that milestone and dc split for awhile.

I think webseries is a good format to test the water. It's not committal and if it turns out good they can go from there. Though I'm sure DC cynics will have a field day considering how much the internet hates Jaden Smith.

And it seems that the source of a story is a joke article from Bleeding Cool... might just be another joke, or the guy really believed it :p

Watched the video, for some reason I assumed Tyler James Williams had a working relationship with WB. I guess it is pretty much non news.

edit: Damnit, I keep calling him Static Shock when I know better.

Yeah that's what I thought as well that milestone and dc split for awhile.

I think webseries is a good format to test the water. It's not committal and if it turns out good they can go from there. Though I'm sure DC cynics will have a field day considering how much the internet hates Jaden Smith.

And it seems that the source of a story is a joke article from Bleeding Cool... might just be another joke, or the guy really believed it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom