• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

FYI - embargo lift for reviews has been confirmed to be on Tuesday at 3pm PT.

WB basically want the reactions from fans and non-press attending either the premieres over the weekend or the IMAX fan shows on Monday to come out of the gate as the first legit reactions to the film, and not the critics/press.

Probably due to the fans reaction to MOS being better than the critical one. Interesting... relying on word of mouth for this movie.

Looking forward to the RT number, the more I think about it, the more my number has sunk from 75 to 70 just on the sole basis that we've had people watch Snyder movies, they are suddenly going to turn around and be like yes I was wrong about MOS, this is all amazing.

GeeTeeCee

I clicked into the spoiler thread earlier by mistake and read something I shouldn't have before I realised what thread I was actually in. Dammit.

I didn't see it posted in this thread, but there were more screening impressions on the latest episode of Collider Heroes. Campea talked about someone who saw it and loved it, but was concerned this version of Batman might be too dark for general audiences. Robert Burnett talked about someone who was born to hate the movie and after bitching about the amount of CGI admitted the movie was good.

https://youtu.be/iHN8SrxCMIY?t=32m39s

Edit: Burnett talks about his source at 38:40. They sorta go off on a tangent of it being too dark for a couple minutes.

antovolk

Probably due to the fans reaction to MOS being better than the critical one. Interesting... relying on word of mouth for this movie.

Looking forward to the RT number, the more I think about it, the more my number has sunk from 75 to 70 just on the sole basis that we've had people watch Snyder movies, they are suddenly going to turn around and be like yes I was wrong about MOS, this is all amazing.

It's basically an 18 hour (or longer depending if we have reactions coming out of Mexico/NY premieres on the weekend) head start on the critics. WB are sure this will play well with fans, hence the Monday night screenings in 100 IMAXes across the country and giving them that head start buzz-wise.

If you needed any further proof why WB are doing this:
hVVdQLe.png

https://twitter.com/jowrotethis/status/710132266706407424

It's basically an 18 hour (or longer depending if we have reactions coming out of Mexico/NY premieres on the weekend) head start on the critics. WB are sure this will play well with fans, hence the Monday night screenings in 100 IMAXes across the country and giving them that head start buzz-wise.

hVVdQLe.png

Everyone's entitled to their opinion...but I'm not sure it's right for a professional critic to prejudge. Ah well.

a916

hVVdQLe.png

If a professional review pre-judges a movie, they are a hack for a professional critic. It's completely dumb of someone to be oblivious to how confirmation bias works and it's the job of a critic to go into a movie as a blank slate. To let the movie form it's own opinion merited by the movie and ONLY the movie. Not some sort of preconceived bias you have set in from other movies you watch.

So dumb and pathetic.

Everybody pre judges a movie. If they have a recognizable filmography then it's already impossible not to set expectations before you go in

It's fine for a critic to say whatever as long as they are able to have their minds changed if they like something instead of saving face and being petty

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I didn't see it posted in this thread, but there were more screening impressions on the latest episode of Collider Heroes. Campea talked about someone who saw it and loved it, but was concerned this version of Batman might be too dark for general audiences. Robert Burnett talked about someone who was born to hate the movie and after bitching about the amount of CGI admitted the movie was good.

Edit: Burnett talks about his source at 38:40. They sorta go off on a tangent of it being too dark for a couple minutes.
Keep em' coming! Love hearing how dark Batman is in this.

Peru

If you feel the absolute need to look to an aggregate, metacritic, flawed as it is in assigning scores also to scoreless reviews, is still better than RT. RT will reward safe, predictable moviemaking because of its binary worldview where 'acceptable' is "fresh".

The percentage doesn't mean anything. A 95% for TFA could be 95% of critics gave it a 6 out of 10. I would much rather think about the average critics rating.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!

Awesome. So far I have not heard a negative reaction to this movie. Surely has got to end up better than MOS review wise right? I would think that is a pretty safe bet.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
+70% for me.

critics will like this more than MoS because of terrio and affleck, but some won't be able to get over the tone and I expect a few #notmysuperman complaints

hVVdQLe.png

To provide proper context, she tweeted this right after:
HaP1fP16AGHEbmXOBcqt2u4hE-wFa-I4fkU4FtGKcC8

Also, Joana is primarily a news writer/contributor. Not one of Vanity Fair's Primary Critics, although she does do reviews after Festival screenings and such. Her posting this is fine because she's almost certainly not going to be the one reviewing the film at VF.

I have no idea so i'm gonna say 75 RT but with a not-surprising number complaining that things get destroyed and that accusing WB of flip flopping with spending so much time talking about MoS' destruction. Also probably say Doomsday is wasted rather than pointing out he's a literal plot device. I'm more interested to see what Gal's performance is like as Wonder Woman, feels like she could be the dark horse of the film.

I guess I'll stick around for a while longer, those pics you guys were talking about were kind of useless out of context and someone spoiled them for me anyways.

I'd like to think even if people don't care for the serious tone, they'll begrudgingly give it a positive review based on the quality of the film or at least what counts as fresh on Rotten tomatoes, like Faraci did for deadpool. Then that tweet above me reminds me that some critics are assholes.

I still think 80+%.

Ashhong

GOD DAMMIT

Turned on my phone to see a notification from WB saying I'm invited to a special screening next Tuesday. Super excited, invite my coworker to go with me, open the email to sign up and it says it's fucking full. Now I'm on the waitlist. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Error

To provide proper context, she tweeted this right after:
HaP1fP16AGHEbmXOBcqt2u4hE-wFa-I4fkU4FtGKcC8

Also, Joana is primarily a news writer/contributor. Not one of Vanity Fair's Primary Critics, although she does do reviews after Festival screenings and such. Her posting this is fine because she's almost certainly not going to be the one reviewing the film at VF.

Lots of bloggers use twitter to post flame bait to amuse themselves and idiots fall for that.

I mean, you can't seriously think that she tweeted that and expected absolutely no replies.

GOD DAMMIT

Turned on my phone to see a notification from WB saying I'm invited to a special screening next Tuesday. Super excited, invite my coworker to go with me, open the email to sign up and it says it's fucking full. Now I'm on the waitlist. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg

No, seriously, that sucks.

GOD DAMMIT

s9weVaK.jpg

Error

I'll go with 68%, which would be the second highest of Snyder's career.

I read one of the impressions saying in this movie Snyder showed a lot of restraint, in terms of his normal directorial efforts. Last time he showed restraint we got DotD remake (a great remake btw).

Lots of bloggers use twitter to post flame bait to amuse themselves and idiots fall for that.

I mean, you can't seriously think that she tweeted that and expected absolutely no replies.

Um, no, I don't? Which is why I posted that? I saw this happen on Twitter. I follow her.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
I read one of the impressions saying in this movie Snyder showed a lot of restraint, in terms of his normal directorial efforts. Last time he showed restraint we got DotD remake (a great remake btw).

Sorry but would it be possible to share the link for those impressions? Would love to read it.

Penguin

I will say this, it isn't news unless she is assigned to review the movie, which based on this tweet and her attitude towards ZS probably won't happen.

Everyone is allowed to have their opinions.

a916

The percentage doesn't mean anything. A 95% for TFA could be 95% of critics gave it a 6 out of 10. I would much rather think about the average critics rating.

Percentage won't matter at the end of the day because I've hated movies with 90+ ratings, and I've enjoyed movies in the sub 50s... I wish for DC to have success because I want to see this Justice League thing off to a thunderous start.

I'm looking at around 70-75 and I'll be happy. It's a downer to have to wage through some of those MOS threads, or hell even the BvS threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom