• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

Nah. Neill Blomkamp Green Lantern movie.

Sharlto Copley as Sinestro.

Would also accept J J Abrams. I hate his work, but the tone of his films would actually really suit Green Lanterns.
Or there's always Ridley Scott.

Please no... he's riding that same train to the same destination that the Wachowskis are riding...

Sölf;199767500 said:
About time I subscribe to this thread. So, hey!

giphy.gif

a916

I don't think it's a very good look if it crawls to a billion. Even with the reviews how they are, I expected it to smash a billion and settle around 1.1 or 1.2 billion. I'm sure that's still possible at this point.

I think I'll watch this again on half off Tuesday's :)

With the way it got torched, WB should be happy with it even reaching 1B... they have no one to blame but themselves. They craft a movie that was reviewed better and I have complete faith this thing tears well past 1B.

A billion that you barely made is still a made billion. WB isn't going to mad about it.

At least until Civil War does it with ease and is much better received critically.

That's a slam dunk waiting to happen.

Third time is the charm so....either single digits on RT or Snyder finally nails it and fans/critics love it. They'll probably go for Whedon after JL.

So gross... I'm sure he has so many quips saved up for the JL and DC material that characters will be tripping over themselves to tell the next joke.

witness

Nah. Neill Blomkamp Green Lantern movie.

Sharlto Copley as Sinestro.

Would also accept J J Abrams. I hate his work, but the tone of his films would actually really suit Green Lanterns.
Or there's always Ridley Scott.

Well JJ wrote a screenplay for Superman movie in 2002 and Cavill was in the running for the part. So I could totally see him doing a DC movie, in fact I think he could do some great things directing MoS2. He can make a movie where people will love Superman, while Snyder makes him insanely polarizing. I'll take the former.

jackdoe

Well JJ wrote a screenplay for Superman movie in 2002 and Cavill was in the running for the part. So I could totally see him doing a DC movie, in fact I think he could do some great things directing MoS2. He can make a movie where people will love Superman, while Snyder makes him insanely polarizing. I'll take the former.
The JJ screenplay for Superman Flyby was awful. Not divisive like Batman v Superman. Flat out, undeniably, undoubtedly awful.

a916

So that slimy excuse for a reporter is reporting that WB is going back and doing re-shoots for SS to add back in humor and fleshing out characters more.

Also, he's saying WB is going to be way more hands on with JL to avoid a BvS scenario...

Studio meddling, this may not end well for JL.

So that slimy excuse for a reporter is reporting that WB is going back and doing re-shoots for SS to add back in humor and fleshing out characters more.

Also, he's saying WB is going to be way more hands on with JL to avoid a BvS scenario...

As I pointed out, guy has a poor track record with reshoots

Sölf

If that's true, I don't know what to think about it. If the trailer really did not represent the final move, it may be a good move to do reshoots. Last time that happend to me was Tim Burton's Dark Shadows, were I expected another Burton movie, but got something pretty dark and serious in the end.

On the other hand, especially Suicide Squad, does that need to be so funny?

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
As far as I'm concerned they'll go even darker, I'm in the minority on that though.

witness

I certainly don't think some injected humor will hurt SS. We need this to be a crowd pleaser and get people excited the way this movie didn't for the general audience.

JL might need some meddling with the way BvS has been received. They cannot afford for JL to get the same reception.

RDreamer

Don't know if I like this.

The trailer for SS was ridiculously well done, but the humor in it was so cringeworthy. I hope they can actually do it well in the film. Stuff like Harley's "We're bad guys, it's what we do" or however she phrases it was just... ugh.

Also I really hope they don't fuck with some of the arcs that are going on... I really want to see where Snyder & Co are taking this ride.

PBY

Banned

I totally believe the second part of that, feels like common sense.

jackdoe

I totally believe the second part of that, feels like common sense.
Yeah, I mean lack of oversight resulted in a film, that regardless if you hated or love it, was a very serious character driven film with very little action for a blockbuster of this size. This was an ultra risky film to make, even in the hands of a more capable director. It's obvious that WB will exert some level of oversight for Justice League.

Anth0ny

Don't know if I like this.

The trailer for SS was ridiculously well done, but the humor in it was so cringeworthy. I hope they can actually do it well in the film. Stuff like Harley's "We're bad guys, it's what we do" or however she phrases it was just... ugh.

Also I really hope they don't fuck with some of the arcs that are going on... I really want to see where Snyder & Co are taking this ride.

I agree. I'm all for a lighter toned, comedic Suicide Squad film... but the "punch lines" in the trailers were really, really bad. Hopefully they're saving the "good stuff" for the actual film.

I think the perfect tone to strike with a Suicide Squad film is Joker from Dark Knight. Watch those scenes again... they're pretty funny in a dark, dark way. He didn't need jokes or one liners, either. It was all in the body language, facial expressions and delivery.

tumblr_n7ibgbaYun1tt7ujto1_250.gif

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Suicide Squad is all about morbid and black comedy, if they making it more light then they movie has failed even before it gets released.

I like how he is giddy about it from his report, saying WB is doing the right thing. That guy hasn't probably read a SS comic in his entire life, I doubt making SS more light and comedic is hardly improving it, in fact it's the complete opposite.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
''You think you can steal from us and just walk away?''
''Yeah''

''In a way, I knew your friends more than you ever did. Want to know which one of them were cowards?''

Nolan da gawd.

Thing about the Suicide Squad trailer jokes is that I actually expect them to play off a lot better in the movie because they'll likely not have Bohemian Rhapsody destroying the tone.

Harleys voices monologue would play alright if it's said with zero background music and an awkward silence from everyone else.

Yeah, Squad looks pretty funny already. And his bit about a "reliable source" claiming that the scene is actually crazy dark goes against what Will Smith and David Ayer already said about it.

I think Faraci's just spreading FUD.

Gleethor

The funniest moment in the SS trailer was Boomer sneaking a beer. Also I don't buy for a second that the trailer showed every joke.

Yeah, Squad looks pretty funny already. And his bit about a "reliable source" claiming that the scene is actually crazy dark goes against what Will Smith and David Ayer already said about it.

Considering how he acted on twitter prior to BvS and that he was "excited" over people saying it was bad, I'm not going to take anything the guy says seriously.

Ashhong

Y'all crazy, everything in that trailer worked. Loved the tone of it. Then again I have never read Suicide Squad. If they are retooling the film to be more similar in tone then I'm all for it. Hopefully Ayer had some say in it

Wasn't there supposed to be a second "scoop" today regarding CBM?

a916

How likely that Faraci pulled the reason for the reshoots out of his ass?

How did he manage to pull anything when he's still busy satisfying himself over the BvS reviews?

I agree. I'm all for a lighter toned, comedic Suicide Squad film... but the "punch lines" in the trailers were really, really bad. Hopefully they're saving the "good stuff" for the actual film.

I think the perfect tone to strike with a Suicide Squad film is Joker from Dark Knight. Watch those scenes again... they're pretty funny in a dark, dark way. He didn't need jokes or one liners, either. It was all in the body language, facial expressions and delivery.

tumblr_n7ibgbaYun1tt7ujto1_250.gif

That same report said that all the funny jokes were used up in the trailer. Which made WB do a second take and go, add some more.

Considering how he acted on twitter prior to BvS and that he was "excited" over people saying it was bad, I'm not going to take anything the guy says seriously.

Dude is such a slimy excuse for a human being, he had no issue spoiling the entire movie in his tweets the second the embargo dropped. Almost like he was happy the movie was going to review poorly. Worse yet was guys like Robert Liefield retweeting his spoilers, like wtf, movie wasn't even out yet. Blocked both of them.

Y'all crazy, everything in that trailer worked. Loved the tone of it. Then again I have never read Suicide Squad. If they are retooling the film to be more similar in tone then I'm all for it. Hopefully Ayer had some say in it

Wasn't there supposed to be a second "scoop" today regarding CBM?
They pretty much nailed the tone in the second trailer. Only thing I have doubts about is Will Smiths Deadshot, because it's one of my favourite characters.
You really should give it a read though. The new 52 run starts out pretty strong and will give you an idea of what to expect in theory. Though I'm sad there'll be no King Shark in the movie.

In the span of a little over a week, they got together the cast, crew, and all the production people and decided to just act completely reactionary and run off on a hastily written "tens of millions of dollars" check all for the goal of throwing some quips in to satisfy critics?

Is that really how filmmaking works, Faraci, or were these reshoots planned a month ago?

I do believe there will be some really heavy, dark moments. Based on what's been leaked from shootings they are going to explore Harley's transformation from a psychiatrist to Harley Quinn and how the Joker's abusive relationship turned her into Harley Quinn. It looks like it could explore some dark topics as well as delving into more character driven parts.

However, I also expect a good bit of humor and banter given the cast selected and based on the director saying it was surprisingly funny. Not too mention the first trailer we saw that had a more light hearted and fun tone to it.

Ashhong

They pretty much nailed the tone in the second trailer. Only thing I have doubts about is Will Smiths Deadshot, because it's one of my favourite characters.
You really should give it a read though. The new 52 run starts out pretty strong and will give you an idea of what to expect in theory. Though I'm sad there'll be no King Shark in the movie.

Well if his report is true and that trailer is not indicative of the movie, then I'm all for the reshoots.

But weren't there reports of reshoots for SS over a month ago? I know I read it somewhere..

ryan299

In the span of a little over a week, they got together the cast, crew, and all the production people and decided to just act completely reactionary and run off on a hastily written "tens of millions of dollars" check all for the goal of throwing some quips in to satisfy critics?

Is that really how filmmaking works, Faraci, or were these reshoots planned a month ago?

Every film does reshoots even great ones. These could've been planned for months, but it's a story now bc of the beating BvS took.

a916

Every film does reshoots even great ones. These could've been planned for months, but it's a story now bc of the beating BvS took.

This is closer to the truth than whatever that "reporter" pulled out.

You can't just fly in all these stars randomly within a week of BvS reviews dropping... that's not how it works.

You can't just fly in all these stars randomly within a week of BvS reviews dropping... that's not how it works.
Just to be clear, I don't think Faraci said it had anything to do with BvS. He said it was because of fan response to the trailer being positive and the reshoots are because it's nothing like the trailer.

Still calling bullshit on that too though.

ryan299

Yup. I don't buy that every joke that's in the film is in that trailer. I do buy WB wanting to add more jokes and lighten up the tone after BvS. This have probably been planned for a while now.

They probably got a mixed reaction to BvS when they tested it and are course correcting. That's probably also why Terrio came out and said JL is lighter then BvS

PBY

Banned
BvS is old news, these bloggers need clickbait shit for their sites. After SS, it'll be WW.

Naw, I think everyone wants WW to be good.

edit: I'm actually fundamentally uninterested in WW, don't really like her character and wasn't impressed by her in the film, but I hope her movie makes 2 billion dollars.

Ninjimbo

The only humor I want to see from Suicide Squad is the sadist humor that works so well for The Joker in TDK. I don't want any of that quippy jargon for what are supposed to be bad guys. They're either dumb, psychotic or disillusioned. They shouldn't be comedians.

I feel so alone in my love for BvS's and MoS's tone.

Anth0ny

Are we going to get 4 months of shit about Suicide Squad now?

I'm thinking we'll see a lot of:

"Can Suicide Squad save the DCCU?"

The only humor I want to see from Suicide Squad is the sadist humor that works so well for The Joker in TDK. I don't want any of that quippy jargon for what are supposed to be bad guys. They're either dumb, psychotic or disillusioned. They shouldn't be comedians.

Agreed. See my posts/gifs above.

I remember one of the loudest cheers/laughs in the theater was when the Joker did his magic trick, that's the stuff I want to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom