• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

End of Watch and Fury were well-received and those were his two latest. He's on the upswing.

Sooo, would anybody else like SS to be weird? We got Enchantress in there so we're going to get magic and there's shots of some kind of demonic creature in the trailer. On top of that, you have "villains" as the main characters who are probably going to be backstabbing each other over the course of a movie. The source material is violent as well. It's just weird and the good kind of weird for me.

I'm trying to think of SS could be like (a movie to compare it to) and I'm coming up with nothing really. The closest thing would probably be an Ocean's Eleven or Inception, I guess, but SS has so many things that make it stand out. Like, so many aspects of it could end up being wild cards.

The climax of end of watch was some amazing shit. I ahod rewatch it

I saw it again. Man, there are some beautiful moments in this movie. Why did it have to be so rushed? :(

Snyder is still good. He fucks up editing, misinterprets characters, fumbles with storytelling. But he can rebuild. He can do better. He will. He has to.

Magwik

Banned
I saw it again. Man, there are some beautiful moments in this movie. Why did it have to be so rushed? :(

Snyder is still good. He fucks up editing, misinterprets characters, fumbles with storytelling. But he can rebuild. He can do better. He will. He has to.
All signs point to most of that being fixed with the ultimate cut.

Deb Snyder Forbes Interview

Continues to stress filmmaker-driven universe. Wants no part of a by committee feel.

Flash and Cyborg are the youngsters of the JL, will bond. Ezra is "super funny."

Ezra gonna never shut the hell up in the film I imagine. Gonna be like xmen quicksilver or cartoon flash

It was obvious as soon as they cast him

Glad he got a haircut and shaved, looked awful in Batman v superman but looks beautiful (...pause) now

Ashhong

Question about JL cartoon, do they not know each other's identities? I know superman and batman know, but just watched "Maid of honor" and it seemed like WW didn't know Bruce at first. And I remember now that they always keep their masks on when healing at watchtower

DaveH

Question about JL cartoon, do they not know each other's identities? I know superman and batman know, but just watched "Maid of honor" and it seemed like WW didn't know Bruce at first. And I remember now that they always keep their masks on when healing at watchtower
They don't know each others' identities until a particular episode (pair)... spoiler warning, the episode is
Star Crossed

ryan299

The film is in a free fall in China. Only earned 2.57 million on Friday. Batman and Superman, together will earn less than Ant Man.

Variety

The slump for “Batman v Superman” comes at a time when China’s box office is growing at 50%. That growth is increasingly powered by local Chinese titles, rather than by Hollywood.

“Batman v Superman” was expected to benefit from being the biggest Hollywood superhero movie released in China since midway through last year. But with a tone than is darker than ideal for mainstream Chinese audiences the DC Comics adaptation earned modest reviews and weak word of mouth.

Its Sunday score was $14.8 million; Monday $4.58 million; Tuesday $4.02 million; Wednesday $3.47 million; Thursday $2.86 million. After eight days “Batman V Superman” stands on $74.9 million (RMB487 million), according to local data sources.

Local forecasts now point to a final score of less than $100 million (RMB650 million) for “Batman v Superman.” In 2015 the lesser known “Ant Man” earned RMB644 million, and “Avengers: The Age of Ultron” scored RMB1.47 billion. In 2014 “X-Men: Days of Future Past” scored RMB744 million. In 2013 “Iron Man 3” earned RMB768 million.

3N16MA

Banned
Updated BO estimates for this week have BvS dropping at near record levels. The legs on this film look done if this holds up. Deadpool may very well out gross it the domestic side.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Updated BO estimates for this week have BvS dropping at near record levels. The legs on this film look done if this holds up. Deadpool may very well out gross it the domestic side.
I reeeeally don't understand how that's possible. Like, that's baffling. There's NO competition this weekend. Even if it's the #1 movie for the 2nd week, the over all numbers for the weekend for all movies seem to be really low. What is going on?

I reeeeally don't understand how that's possible. Like, that's baffling. There's NO competition this weekend. Even if it's the #1 movie for the 2nd week, the over all numbers for the weekend for all movies seem to be really low. What is going on?

It's got awful word of mouth

The bat brand will likely allow it to claw with its fingernails to a billion but it will be a struggle

3N16MA

Banned
It's got awful word of mouth

The bat brand will likely allow it to claw with its fingernails to a billion but it will be a struggle

1B is looking less and less likely with disappointing domestic numbers and very disappointing numbers in China.

At the end of the day WB is going to make a profit on this film. However they can't be ecstatic at the numbers right now. This doesn't do JL any favours with such a quick turnaround.

Effect

I wonder if there are no legs if this greatly moves up the release of the blu ray/dvd release to make sure they profit and stay in the black.

Also I believe Umberto Gonzalez of Heroic Hollywood said on his latest periscope session that WB's CEO is or is going to be personally overseeing what Snyder is doing when it comes to JL. Easy to assume they're not happy. That's less of a scoop from I believe but likely just common sense and might be something he's easily hearing. It's really his ass (WB's CEO) on the line if a repeat of BvS happens and he has to be hoping SS and WW don't experience the same thing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

it's a mess of a movie that has zero 'fun' factor to it (I liked it parts of it, but it was never fun to watch it, the first act was such a fucking slog to get through), that's why it's on free fall.

Snyder made a Watchmen movie with Batman and Superman, and not a Superman and Batman movie. It really felt like Watchmen at some points.

I read that Deb Snyder interview, and these guys think they make fucking art when it's clear they make trash movies, only Watchmen is decent from them. Reading her answers had my SMH so hard, and Mark Hughes stroking their ego didn't help. Snyder and his wife live in a bubble, sadly, they won't learn from mistakes or anything. WB is fucked now, no other choice but to go forward with JL. It'll be extremely depressing for me if JL is shit, these are characters I love and I want to see them on big screen so bad. I enjoy Marvel movies, but I'm just not emotionally invested in the Marvel Universe, I simply don't give a shit about many of them, unlike DC characters.

Snyder made Watchmen movie with Batman and Superman, and not a Supermand and Batman movie. Because it really felt like Watchmen at some points.

I wish you were right about this because watchmen is the best comic book movie ever. This movie was good but not great

Error

I wish you were right about this because watchmen is the best comic book movie ever. This movie was good but not great

I didn't mean in term of quality, meant in terms of tone and the seriousness of it all.

Bruce Timm did a Superman and Batman movie and it was awesome, there was no macho bravado in it, just two guys with different PoVs on how to handle justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5nUsa8ZLm4

this is what I wanted for the first meeting between these two icons, not that shitty fight we got, for all the hype that fight got it was pretty disappointing. The action (Snyder's forte) wasn't even good in this movie, think about it for a second, that's how much he fucked up this.

3N16MA

Banned
it's a mess of a movie that has zero 'fun' factor to it (I liked it parts of it, but it was never fun to watch it, the first act was such a fucking slog to get through), that's why it's on free fall.

Snyder made a Watchmen movie with Batman and Superman, and not a Superman and Batman movie. It really felt like Watchmen at some points.

I read that Deb Snyder interview, and these guys think they make fucking art when it's clear they make trash movies, only Watchmen is decent from them. Reading her answers had my SMH so hard, and Mark Hughes stroking their ego didn't help. Snyder and his wife live in a bubble, sadly, they won't learn from mistakes or anything. WB is fucked now, no other choice but to go forward with JL. It'll be extremely depressing for me if JL is shit, these are characters I love and I want to see them on big screen so bad. I enjoy Marvel movies, but I'm just not emotionally invested in the Marvel Universe, I simply don't give a shit about many of them, unlike DC characters.

My hope is that the solo films having a bigger impact on these characters moving forward. Superman seems the most affected since Snyder has control over that character for at least three films.

I like what Snyder has done in terms of the visual aspect of his films. He does action better than any director working at superhero films today. Outside of that he struggles.

jey_16

Banned
wow.....Snyder might have just killed Superman & Batman with this film, box office is tanking

i really hope they go down a different path with JL

Error

My hope is that the solo films having a bigger impact on these characters moving forward. Superman seems the most affected since Snyder has control over that character for at least three films.

I like what Snyder has done in terms of the visual aspect of his films. He does action better than any director working at superhero films today. Outside of that he struggles.

the movie is beautiful, no doubt about it, but that's more on Larry Fong than Snyder really. Fong is an amazing cinematographer, and I'm sad his talent is wasted on Snyder. I know they are buddies, but it gotta suck when your buddy can't make something good out of all that beautiful stuff you give him.

3N16MA

Banned
Deadpool may out gross BvS it the domestic side (with an R rating and no 3D) and Ant-Man may out gross it in China. Never would have thought that was possible.

This is coming off two solo Batman films that grossed 1B. Neither benefited from 3D and one of those was released 8 years ago.

Ninjimbo

The box office talk around this movie is depressing. I can't wait to be done with it.

Just go dance in the blood somewhere else already.

Error

You can make movies fun, and still have them deal with serious stuff. It's all about striking a balance, but this movie suck out all of the fun out of these characters. Superman looks annoyed at saving people, never smiles, never shows any charisma whatsoever, and Batman is straight up psychotic, I mean he is kind of paranoid but he never comes off like he does in this movie.

Only Wondy looked to be having fun there, no wonder she was the best part of the film

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The box office talk around this movie is depressing. I can't wait to be done with it.

I've tried to avoid it but it's somewhat fascinating. The movie will end up around $900M which is colossal but at the same time, it could have been so much more.

3N16MA

Banned

I'm not trying to gloom up this thread. However BO numbers are important to the health (if you want to look it that way) of the DCEU moving forward. BO numbers have the ability to shake things up if they fall far enough below expectations.

I get it that not everyone wants to read this stuff however the new estimates are pretty big. I'm not taking joy in this or trying to rub it in.

I hope this doesn't hurt Batman's general appeal among the audiences, because Affleck was hands down the best part about the film. I hope he gets a trilogy to repair all the damage Snyder has done to the character's image. Fuck, this is depressing.

I mean, I enjoy Marvel's movies, but I've never given a shit about those characters. DC is where it's at for me. And WB is fucking destroying it at the moment.

Error

Honestly the 900m figure is not bad, it lets them know people want these movies but it also shows that you can't get away with a bad movie and expect a billion just because of the brand power of these characters.

Lots has to change for JL, lots.

I hope this doesn't hurt Batman's general appeal among the audiences, because Affleck was hands down the best part about the film. I hope he gets a trilogy to repair all the damage Snyder has done to the character's image. Fuck, this is depressing.

I mean, I enjoy Marvel's movies, but I've never given a shit about those characters. DC is where it's at for me. And WB is fucking destroying it at the moment.

Affleck was good, but I didn't like this Batman that much.

IconGrist

Fong is a great cinematographer but let's not act like he just creates these shots out of thin air. Snyder storyboards every scene. He gives very explicit direction on how he wants something to look. Give credit where it is due.

Error

It is bad.

DC will die, sooner or later. WB's boldness will kill them.

Nah, I don't think so. I'm just worried about JL. I'm sure SS and WW will turn out fine.

All it takes is one movie, that's it. With one good movie they can turn it around. They have SS and WW to build goodwill, but I would push back JL and release another solo movie before it, preferably The Flash.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Batman is fine, still too much goodwill from what Nolan established and Affleck's portrayal is generally seen as a positive. Ditto for Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman.

Superman though? Superman is getting fucked here.

Batman doesn't seem to be touched by any of the negativity. He and Diana (and to a lesser extent, Clark) all came out unscathed.

Clark kinda sucked tbh. I'm all for a superman with self doubt and who caves under responsibility sometimes but this dude barely even talked snyder somehow gave him even less personality in this than man of Steel....

He just had the stink face like 90 percent of the time lmao

Agreed with Bruce and Diana tho. Those two and Alfred were all good

Anth0ny

I can see civil war beating avengers 2 if they really push Spiderman in the marketing over the next month, and it reviews closer to winter soldier than age of ultron.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Chris Terrio.
Hmm, well that gives me some hope at least. If Goyer stays away from the start, it may turn out to be a good combo of story and visuals (Synder). I think Goyer's story for BvS is really to blame. I doubt Terrio was able to make big changes since it seems he came on a bit too late.

VanWinkle

Even though I loved BvS, I'm so sad about the direction they went with Superman. I wish they hadn't made him so tonally similar to a Batman-type character. I think people don't really buy that, and I'm not into it either.

It's why I didn't really like MoS. I don't like that version of Superman. I loved BvS because a darker Superman is required for this conflict and everything outside of it is great.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I can see civil war beating avengers 2 if they really push Spiderman in the marketing over the next month, and it reviews closer to winter soldier than age of ultron.

I don't really see it happening. $1.4B is a lot of box office money, a whole hell of a lot. Jurassic World and Star Wars seemed to kind of trivialize what a big blockbuster can expect to accomplish. Hell, we're in here treating $900M like the end of the world.

Error

Remember that Batman Begins didn't do that much at the theaters, but the movie was coming off after Batman and Robin, a movie that killed the franchise until Nolan salvage it, it wasn't until TDK that Batman became a huge box office draw..

If they build goodwill JL can do business, but I don't know how they'll market it. Putting "from the director of BvS" is one way to doom your movie lol

Kibbles

So awesome Jared, Margot, Will, and Cara are going to be at the MTV Movie Awards together to show the new clip (trailer?) of Suicide Squad. Can't wait :3 So ready for the press tour with this cast.

Also, can't wait for Batfleck vs Letojoker

Ben: I think Jared Leto was a genius but I'm bound by more confidentiality agreements than you can shake a stick at. I'm just going about my business.

Conan: I'm not asking you to disclose anything other than --

Ben: He's brilliant. Masterful. Brilliant, brilliant guy.

Atomic Odin

Do we know who's writing Justice League?

The False God

So awesome Jared, Margot, Will, and Cara are going to be at the MTV Movie Awards together to show the new clip (trailer?) of Suicide Squad. Can't wait :3 So ready for the press tour with this cast.

Also, can't wait for Batfleck vs Letojoker

Is Leto still in the role like during the shooting? It'd be amazing to see him there if that were to be..

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Remember that Batman Begins didn't do that much at the theaters, but the movie was coming off after Batman and Robin, a movie that killed the franchise until Nolan salvage it, it wasn't until TDK that Batman became a huge box office draw..

If they build goodwill JL can do business, but I don't know how they'll market it. Putting "from the director of BvS" is one way to doom your movie lol

That's why I think Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman just became the two most important movies on WB's calendar. Those two can restore a lot of goodwill in this whole project and then obviously, Justice League has to review well.

Error

Being director driven might be the thing that end up saving the DCCU oddly enough. Snyder not having that much input on the other projects is good, great even. That's why I think SS and WW will turn out fine. Listening to Patty Jenkins talk about Wonder Woman, she gets the character, Wondy is in good hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom