• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Lois dies in JL, in MoS2 and The Batman both Clark and Bruce struggle with their feelings. Clark is trying to get over the death of Lois, but does not know how to really move forward. Bruce sees how empty his life really is, they decide to hang out after fighting crime. Some Netflix and chill. This goes on for a few weeks and at a certain point they just stopped saving (and killing) people and only have eye for each other.

The world is kinda glad because Supes isn't wrecking shit and Batman doesn't kill half of Gotham. Alfred is happy Bruce at least found someone, though kinda disappointed because no next generation of Wayne. After a month, the ultimate bond; they have the same hair colour, both of their alter ego's name ends with 'man', they are both male, same citizenship and both of their fathers are dead. Clark asks Bruce to marry him. WB is applauded for their balls and the movie ends up winning 4 Oscars including Best Picture and MTV awards best kiss.

And for the sequel we can have Batman v Superman again. This time they are mad at each other because of marital problems, like who gets bottom.

Tabby

Lois dies in JL, in MoS2 and The Batman both Clark and Bruce struggle with their feelings. Clark is trying to get over the death of Lois, but does not know how to really move forward. Bruce sees how empty his life really is, they decide to hang out after fighting crime. Some Netflix and chill. This goes on for a few weeks and at a certain point they just stopped saving (and killing) people and only have eye for each other.

The world is kinda glad because Supes isn't wrecking shit and Batman doesn't kill half of Gotham. Alfred is happy Bruce at least found someone, though kinda disappointed because no next generation of Wayne. After a month, the ultimate bond; they have the same hair colour, both of their alter ego's name ends with 'man', they are both male, same citizenship and both of their fathers are dead. Clark asks Bruce to marry him. WB is applauded for their balls and the movie ends up winning 4 Oscars including Best Picture and MTV awards best kiss.

And for the sequel we can have Batman v Superman again. This time they are mad at each other because of marital problems, like who gets bottom.

I'd watch the shit out of that, I'm not going to lie.

Senoculum

Today I met the first coworker who watched it with her husband (no other coworker has, due to the reviews), and she loved it! It was the first enthusiastic face-to-face discussion I've had about the film. We talked about the poetry, the character arcs, the performances... exactly the same things that I picked up on and enjoyed. She's not even familiar with the comics.

Do people really believe the SS reshoots are WB wanting to add more humor to the film?

I have insider information that the friends and family screening was a bit mixed. Every film goes through re-shoots, so that's normal. And quite frankly, their major set pieces have already been locked. There's no way they're building entire sets again to add one or two humourous lines (their major sets have been torn down, and the Pinewood studio is prepping for the Blade Runner sequel, last I heard).

When we're closer to the release date, I'll post all the photos I have when I visited the set.

PBY

Banned
I have insider information that the friends and family screening was a bit mixed. Every film goes through re-shoots, so that's normal. And quite frankly, their major set pieces have already been locked. There's no way they're building entire sets again to add one or two humourous lines (their major sets have been torn down, and the Pinewood studio is prepping for the Blade Runner sequel, last I heard).

When we're closer to the release date, I'll post all the photos I have when I visited the set.

Woah, this seems like big news?!

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
The hell with kids/families, double down WB. I want the NC17 version of Justice League. And Snyder to shoot it. In slow-mo. Just watch certain 300 scenes and imagine some JL characters doing exactly that and more. You know you want it.

Plus we get even more brutal Batman and Superman.

Loxley

If WB starts playing it safe I'm going to be massively disappointed with the DCEU.

I agree. Even though I was disappointed with BVS, I still want WB to experiment. The worst thing to me would be if Justice League just felt like The Avengers but with DC characters.

Senoculum

Yeah, don't be like that dude that comes in here, teases, and then never talks about it again. You should've said nothing then :D

LOL. I'm sorry to be that guy. But I have no information other than from someone who worked on the production, who got word from someone higher up, who heard that one person said something mild.

To me, the gritty approach that WB is gravitating towards, is a positive. But I just don't think that they're doing re-shoots "to make it lighter." The film was always gonna be dark and funky. I'm incredibly excited to see something like Suicide Squad come to life. It also gave a lot of business to my city, so I want it to succeed for sure.

Firemind

Same. Anyways, as good as SS looks, the material they're working with isn't exactly for everyone. I wouldn't be surprised at a mixed response.
If it's an entertaining heist film, like a darker Ocean's Eleven, I could see it make waves. I'm afraid the forced Joker and Batman scenes will hold it back though, unless the Joker and Batman are somehow part of the main plot.

If WB starts playing it safe I'm going to be massively disappointed with the DCEU.

It's inevitable, I've already come to terms with it happening.

I think DCEU should have pushed up Flash or Shazam just to show there's variety. Their plans are already set in motion for up until JL, really hard to change the course at this point.

If it's an entertaining heist film, like a darker Ocean's Eleven, I could see it make waves. I'm afraid the forced Joker and Batman scenes will hold it back though, unless the Joker and Batman are somehow part of the main plot.

I think Joker will have a significant part in the film, Batman not so much.

I don't believe Faraci, but I do think the films that haven't been shot yet will be lighter in tone/more jokes.

LOL. I'm sorry to be that guy. But I have no information other than from someone who worked on the production, who got word from someone higher up, who heard that one person said something mild.

To me, the gritty approach that WB is gravitating towards, is a positive. But I just don't think that they're doing re-shoots "to make it lighter." The film was always gonna be dark and funky. I'm incredibly excited to see something like Suicide Squad come to life. It also gave a lot of business to my city, so I want it to succeed for sure.

it'sfuckingnothing.gif

Well, thanks for not stringing us out :p

Funky... now there's a word that I think works well.

Jai Courtney will be better here than in his other roles, but that's not really an accomplishment

I legit think he might steal the show. Every single thing with Boomer in that clip looked amazing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
One thing that stood for me at the end is that
Batman didn't brand Lex Luthor so I assume at that point he stopped doing it.

DaveH

One thing that stood for me at the end is that
Batman didn't brand Lex Luthor so I assume at that point he stopped doing it.
Right on. Those are the clearest brackets to Batman's
new rules... Alfred is taken aback by the branding and confronts Bruce with the headline; and Batman ends the era of "new rules" with Luthor.

Everything is further bracketed by
"You're going to go to war?!" Meaning everyone from that point on is an enemy combatant or casualty in a literal one-man war with rules of engagement which allow of fatal collateral (but not express execution). Once Martha is rescued that war is over.

These two brackets address the common issue of why
Joker is still alive. Simply put, he was never encountered while "new rules" were in place and when Batman was a war.
It also addresses whether this Batman has ever had a code or not and implicitly he does.

Effect

Same but I fear that might be what they end up doing unless SS and WW crush it. Maybe BvS better prepares people for the tone or just how different future DCEU films might be and they'll know well in advance to expect something different.

That puts a question forward though. Would one rather have the movies play it safe but ensure they're around for a long time or have them take risk and go for something grander with the chance they might fail at it or there is push back and the movies stop?

I want the movies to swing for the fences but if it doesn't work I want them to take a look at why and swing again. Don't back down. The problem with movies though that TV shows don't have is you can only do that so many times in row. You have far more time to do that with TV shows. You can blow some episodes or have a negative response to a few of them, a bad arc, and still finish out the season strong and that's what people will remember and show up for the next season.

I don't think there is a chance to blow it or to have negative reactions even if the film is good when it comes to a few films that are costing around 150 million dollars or more and have negativity surrounding them (regardless if it's warranted or not). Especially with theater sales alone appearing to be the major judge of success. The BvS situation can't be repeated. If they swing for the fences again and try to be different I fear there will be resistance to it and we might see a repeat where reviews go overboard again in hitting negatives harder then they normally would. I think that's what triggered the over the top responses.

As far as BvS goes I'm going to be trying to get in a #4 viewing of the film this weekend. Going to be busy Saturday morning so hoping to get to the theater tomorrow afternoon or get an early showing Sunday. Wanted to go during the week but had no time.

a916

Same but I fear that might be what they end up doing unless SS and WW crush it. Maybe BvS better prepares people for the tone or just how different future DCEU films might be and they'll know well in advance to expect something different.

That puts a question forward though. Would one rather have the movies play it safe but ensure they're around for a long time or have them take risk and go for something grander with the chance they might fail at it or there is push back and the movies stop?

I want the movies to swing for the fences but if it doesn't work I want them to take a look at why and swing again. Don't back down. The problem with movies though that TV shows don't have is you can only do that so many times in row. You have far more time to do that with TV shows. You can blow some episodes or have a negative response to a few of them, a bad arc, and still finish out the season strong and that's what people will remember and show up for the next season.

I don't think there is a chance to blow it or to have negative reactions even if the film is good when it comes to a few films that are costing around 150 million dollars or more and have negativity surrounding them (regardless if it's warranted or not). Especially with theater sales alone appearing to be the major judge of success. The BvS situation can't be repeated. If they swing for the fences again and try to be different I fear there will be resistance to it and we might see a repeat where reviews go overboard again in hitting negatives harder then they normally would. I think that's what triggered the over the top responses.

As far as BvS goes I'm going to be trying to get in a #4 viewing of the film this weekend. Going to be busy Saturday morning so hoping to get to the theater tomorrow afternoon or get an early showing Sunday. Wanted to go during the week but had no time.

If they could get people to adjust their tone expections for BvS after 3 years of hype and 2 years of another movie, no amount of setting expections is going to help them.

a916

Sounds like that WW Superhero weekend opening record that BvS grabbed easily is about to get broken real soon as Civil War might've just secured a day and date release in China.

Ninjimbo

Since it's SS, I'm afraid of how people are going to react when some of the main players start dying. This isn't going to be Guardians of the Galaxy that's for sure. Haha.

kmfdmpig

Didn't Ayer mention that he thought audiences would be surprised at how much humor was in SS? That doesn't sound like something he'd say if the trailer oversold the humor in the film.

Either way, based on Ayer's track record I have faith that Suicide Squad (while not a popular or particularly mainstream-friendly concept) will be well received. Critics like Ayer's work, and he's been great so far into his career.

Just finished watching JL vs Titans, a lot better than I thought, I'd actually put it in the very good tier of the DC movies, just behind flashpoint as far as the new 52 styled movies go. I haven't seen bad blood yet so I dunno where the ranks. I just wish Shazam & Hal were in it, I would have liked to see Billy's banter with the teens. The
Terra tease at the end is interesting, I thought we'd get a forever evil tease above all else, but it looks like more titan films might be in the cards

Sounds like that WW Superhero weekend opening record that BvS grabbed easily is about to get broken real soon as Civil War might've just secured a day and date release in China.

Maybe it's just me but I'm not feeling the same amount of buzz that was around during AoU or even BvS. I'm sure it will do great though. Even the trailer reactions were really tame until spiderman showed up.

I'm curious to see how WB is going to market JL when they go forward with Snyder. I think there will still be a lot of people lined up for JL but a noticeable few will swear it off if his name is involved.

Didn't Ayer mention that he thought audiences would be surprised at how much humor was in SS? That doesn't sound like something he'd say if the trailer oversold the humor in the film.

Either way, based on Ayer's track record I have faith that Suicide Squad (while not a popular or particularly mainstream-friendly concept) will be well received. Critics like Ayer's work, and he's been great so far into his career.

Do they? Harsh Times and Sabotage were basura. And critics thought so too about the latter

This movie could go either way. I'm excited tho because of the premise, trailers and especially joker

Ninjimbo

Do they? Harsh Times and Sabotage were basura. And critics thought so too about the latter

This movie could go either way. I'm excited tho because of the premise, trailers and especially joker
End of Watch and Fury were well-received and those were his two latest. He's on the upswing.

Sooo, would anybody else like SS to be weird? We got Enchantress in there so we're going to get magic and there's shots of some kind of demonic creature in the trailer. On top of that, you have "villains" as the main characters who are probably going to be backstabbing each other over the course of a movie. The source material is violent as well. It's just weird and the good kind of weird for me.

I'm trying to think of SS could be like (a movie to compare it to) and I'm coming up with nothing really. The closest thing would probably be an Ocean's Eleven or Inception, I guess, but SS has so many things that make it stand out. Like, so many aspects of it could end up being wild cards.

End of Watch and Fury were well-received and those were his two latest. He's on the upswing.

Sooo, would anybody else like SS to be weird? We got Enchantress in there so we're going to get magic and there's shots of some kind of demonic creature in the trailer. On top of that, you have "villains" as the main characters who are probably going to be backstabbing each other over the course of a movie. The source material is violent as well. It's just weird and the good kind of weird for me.

I'm trying to think of SS could be like (a movie to compare it to) and I'm coming up with nothing really. The closest thing would probably be an Ocean's Eleven or Inception, I guess, but SS has so many things that make it stand out. Like, so many aspects of it could end up being wild cards.

Yeah, it's gonna be a weird, weird movie. I try not to say it, because I think it makes me sound like even more of a ridiculous fanboy than I already am, but assuming I'm reading the trailer(s) right, there's not really anything like it. It's not Ocean's 11, it's more violent than that. It's not... anything, really. It's about the bad guys, doing good things, in ways that in no way shape or form redeems them. There's some freaky magical menace at play, to boot.

I'd also like to note that having Katana fill the Bronze Tiger slot on the Squad is an excellent call.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Bunch of people rooting for BvS to fail in the B.O. thread. Just don't get it. Coincidentally a substantial amount of people predicting Civil War will outgross AoU too.

____

Going to my 4th showing this weekend with some friends who haven't seen it yet. Really looking forward to it.

Closest analogy is the dirty dozen. Which the comic book was based on.

jrush64

Banned
Bunch of people rooting for BvS to fail in the B.O. thread. Just don't get it. Coincidentally a substantial amount of people predicting Civil War will outgross AoU too.

____

Going to my 4th showing this weekend with some friends who haven't seen it yet. Really looking forward to it.

I don't get thinking like that too. Like this movie somehow physically affects them or something.

I pretty much blocked those threads from even appearing on the OT side.

a916

____

Lol, mostly that Bobby Roberts guy, you should check out any time a positive box office prediction comes out, he starts frothing at the mouth... it's really sad.

Deb Snyder Forbes Interview

Continues to stress filmmaker-driven universe. Wants no part of a by committee feel.

Flash and Cyborg are the youngsters of the JL, will bond. Ezra is "super funny."

Kind of confirms what I assumed, Flash would be more light hearted. Guessing cyborg will lean toward his TT incarnation as well.

Her comments on tone being up to directors is also good. I like that arrow & flash on tv are both contrasts but they work within the same universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom