• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

The climax of end of watch was some amazing shit. I ahod rewatch it

His movies are really dark for me... to the point where I can't watch them again. Fury and End of Watch.

If people thought BvS was dreary lol... those two, at least for me are really good films that suck the soul out of you.

I wonder if there are no legs if this greatly moves up the release of the blu ray/dvd release to make sure they profit and stay in the black.

Also I believe Umberto Gonzalez of Heroic Hollywood said on his latest periscope session that WB's CEO is or is going to be personally overseeing what Snyder is doing when it comes to JL. Easy to assume they're not happy. That's less of a scoop from I believe but likely just common sense and might be something he's easily hearing. It's really his ass (WB's CEO) on the line if a repeat of BvS happens and he has to be hoping SS and WW don't experience the same thing.

He's just regurgitating what Feracy said.

His movies are really dark for me... to the point where I can't watch them again. Fury and End of Watch.

If people thought BvS was dreary lol... those two, at least for me are really good films that suck the soul out of you.

He's just regurgitating what Feracy said.

Well, Umberto did say that everything he'd heard about BvS was great and there was nothing to worry about, so I'm sure he's very credible!

I hope DC does not die :(

DC survived Joseph McCarthy, Superman IV, the 90s, Joel Schumacher and Catwoman, they'll be fine. They're in a pretty bad place right now but they can still play the Batman card, Man of Steel's box-office take proved that people still give a shit about Superman and a lot of people are excited for Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman. Also, DC is doing incredibly well with TV and gaming. They are going to be around for a while!

Liamario

Banned
It's disappointing to see everyone so down about the DC CU, but at the same time it's good that people aren't lying to themselves.
BVS can't be undone at this point, but it can be made better with good batman, suicide squad and wonder woman movies. MOS wasn't that bad and was a good starting point.
They can do a soft reboot after WW and lighten the tone and maybe even take some control away from Snyder.

I do think they should cancel the Cyborg movie though, I don't think there's any demand for that. I suspect they were just listing out movies to compete with Marvel. I'll be shocked if it ever gets made, particularly after BVS.

I honestly feel like the dude has a good movie on him, like he is very close to it, but then fails miserably for some reason. I don't get it.

He was given too much creative freedom. Too many ideas and nobody to reign him in. Kind of like George Lucas with the prequels, though his unlimited freedom caused other problems.

Cheebo

Banned
70% Drop. Holy SHIT. That means the word of mouth is god-awful. Going into Justice League with most of your audience hating your lead-in film...that isn't going to help. People are going to be talking about how BvS went wrong for years. Insane, this movie should have been a slam dunk.

Sölf

70% Drop. Holy SHIT. That means the word of mouth is god-awful. Going into Justice League with most of your audience hating your lead-in film...that isn't going to help. People are going to be talking about how BvS went wrong for years. Insane, this movie should have been a slam dunk.

Any link for this?

Going into Justice League with most of your audience hating your lead-in film...
WB has 2 more movies before Justice League.
Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman,
Wonder Woman could definitely turn people around if it is good or great, especially
with Wonder Woman and Batman now being the defacto founders.
Suicide Squad looks like what the DCCU needs and keeps Batfleck in the public's eyes.
Heck Batfleck is supposedly in Wonder Woman as well.

If those 2 bomb critically Justice League is DOA.

WB really needs to figure out Superman though because 2 movies now with this Superman and most people dislike him.
Either get an alternate Earth Superman or have Flash go back in time and fix this shit maybe by saving pa Kent.

WhiteWolf

I really want to see the ultimate cut before I start calling for Snyder's head. I feel like WB only have themselves to blame by releasing a cut up version of the film.

I really want to see the ultimate cut before I start calling for Snyder's head. I feel like WB only have themselves to blame by releasing a cut up version of the film.

Snyder is pretty much running the show, if WB wanted the movie cut by so much its Snyder's fault it was so long in the first place.

You can say well WB probably forced Wonder Woman and the Justice League stuff in but that was one of the better parts of the movie(WW might be my favorite even)
yet Snyder got a second chance with Superman and still couldn't do anything good with him even with all the MoS feedback.

This as someone who loves the movie and has seen it twice and might a 3rd before buying the collectors Bluray.

Firemind

It's also not a stretch of the imagination to believe WB wanted a PG-13 rating which probably didn't help the final cut. I think even with a PG-13 rating, a lot of parents didn't go see the movie with their kids because of word of mouth (not necessarily bad, just that it's not very suitable for young kids.)

I think the most disappointing thing about the film was how easily it could have been fixed. I wonder why they did such a long ass post production, iirc filming finished in nov 2014, so it had been in post for over a year. They could have easily kept filming and split the movie into two.

I'm not expecting the DC to fix anything, it will probably address a few questions but in turn will make the movie even longer and not have any more action to help pacing in the first half.

WB has 2 more movies before Justice League.
Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman,
Wonder Woman could definitely turn people around if it is good or great, especially
with Wonder Woman and Batman now being the defacto founders.
Suicide Squad looks like what the DCCU needs and keeps Batfleck in the public's eyes.
Heck Batfleck is supposedly in Wonder Woman as well.

If those 2 bomb critically Justice League is DOA.

WB really needs to figure out Superman though because 2 movies now with this Superman and most people dislike him.
Either get an alternate Earth Superman or have Flash go back in time and fix this shit maybe by saving pa Kent.

They don't have to do anything like that.
The movie already established Superman's acceptance of his role in the world right before he sacrifices himself. Cavil can play the more light hearted Superman even better. I don't think many people have issues with Cavill, just this superman's somberness.

Really the film already laid out the character motivations for JL.

They don't have to do anything like that.
The movie already established Superman's acceptance of his role in the world right before he sacrifices himself. Cavil can play the more light hearted Superman even better.

Really the film already laid out the character motivations for JL.
Hoping your are right but have zero faith in anything Superman related in this universe.
Though Perry was good in BvS I guess.

The Flash, save us.
Had a weird dream recently where WB in desperation decided to connect tv Flash to the movie universe to win back some fan votes LOL.

Kibbles

Hoping your are right but have zero faith in anything Superman related in this universe.
Though Perry was good in BvS I guess.

Had a weird dream recently where WB in desperation decided to connect tv Flash to the movie universe to win back some fan votes LOL.
Mustache flash tripped me out

Ninjimbo

I'm not trying to gloom up this thread. However BO numbers are important to the health (if you want to look it that way) of the DCEU moving forward. BO numbers have the ability to shake things up if they fall far enough below expectations.

I get it that not everyone wants to read this stuff however the new estimates are pretty big. I'm not taking joy in this or trying to rub it in.
I wasn't talking about you since you're just reporting the facts. Those are what they are. The talk regarding them and the speculation though? I'm sick of it. I hope that once the numbers come in for the weekend everybody recognizes it as a failure and moves on to whatever else.

Cheebo

Banned
You don't have to root for something you dislike to succeed, but you also don't have to hope that it fails. It's a movie. If other people like it but not you, there's 0 cost.
Well if you like DC and it's super heroes and rather have a new take it seems to make sense to be "happy" if it fails. If it's from a "Marvel rules DC sucks lololol" mindset then yeah.

guek

Banned
You don't have to root for something you dislike to succeed, but you also don't have to hope that it fails. It's a movie. If other people like it but not you, there's 0 cost.
I don't agree. The cost of success is usually more of the same, the benefit of failure is motivation to start fresh with new ideas. I'm not saying don't root for BvS, you liked it so rooting for it makes sense. Lots of people want it to do poorly, not due to malicious intent but because they want Snyder to either get the boot or for him to be managed more closely.

jmood88

Lol, mostly that Bobby Roberts guy, you should check out any time a positive box office prediction comes out, he starts frothing at the mouth... it's really sad.
No part of your post is true.

The climax of end of watch was some amazing shit. I ahod rewatch it
Jake Gyllenhall magically surviving was some bullshit, though. Aside from that, I love that movie.

I think critics in this case had a huge impact on this movie. Normally, critics don't matter that much, only if they are going around social media, which they did in this case.

ryan299

I think critics in this case had a huge impact on this movie. Normally, critics don't matter that much, only if they are going around social media, which they did in this case.

It was the B cinema score which indicated fans were extremely mixed on the film and that the film wasn't going to have good word of mouth. That's what destroyed it.

Draconian

I saw it for the first time last night and liked it a lot. It has problems (particularly in the beginning), but I really had a lot of fun and can't wait to see the Ultimate Cut on the blu-ray.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
It was the B cinema score which indicated fans were extremely mixed on the film and that the film wasn't going to have good word of mouth. That's what destroyed it.

Think it's a mix of both.

This is a huge disappointment for WB, might even call it a bomb; considering it has both Batman and Superman and won't make a billion. Yeah, Snyder is out. JL won't happen.

Well if you like DC and it's super heroes and rather have a new take it seems to make sense to be "happy" if it fails. If it's from a "Marvel rules DC sucks lololol" mindset then yeah.

I don't get that mindset even then. If a reboot were to happen (assuming they don't just ditch DC and focus on Harry Potter or another new IP), what makes people think it wouldn't be a decade down the line? They're afraid to introduce GL until 2019 because of it's reception in 2011. If they were to just ditch all the plans they had now, it would cost them a ton of money and scare investors off from any future propositions of super hero films.

It's really just infantile hate because there is no other recourse.

I think it's already past the point where they would just scrap their plans. I wouldn't be worried unless squad or ww doesn't perform well.

jmood88

I reeeeally don't understand how that's possible. Like, that's baffling. There's NO competition this weekend. Even if it's the #1 movie for the 2nd week, the over all numbers for the weekend for all movies seem to be really low. What is going on?
It's a bad movie that people have no interest in seeing and has constantly been described as boring.

ryan299

Think it's a mix of both.

This is a huge disappointment for WB, might even call it a bomb; considering it has both Batman and Superman and won't make a billion. Yeah, Snyder is out. JL won't happen.

JL will happen, I just don't think Snyder will be at the helm. I don't think WB can afford to let him make another film with these characters.

Ashhong

But I think he's saying critics kind of affected the fans thinking. Viewers went in with a certain mindset after hearing all of these negative impressions, and dumbass headlines, and the movie didn't do enough to convince them otherwise. It may not have been as bad as critics made it seem, but it wasn't great.

JL films in like 1 week. You guys really think they will take him off?

Draconian

JL will happen, I just don't think Snyder will be at the helm. I don't think WB can afford to let him make another film with these characters.

It starts filming in about a week. There's really not much time if any to bring anyone else in at this point without delaying it which ain't gonna happen.

We would've heard something by now if Snyder wasn't at helm right now.

Also...this movie might be a bomb, but we can't forget the merchandise which is strong in comic book movies.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Going through with JL as it is but with a different director might even hurt them more. Take your losses and cancel it, put out some standalone films first to gain some goodwill. Then you can have your team-up. They have pulled the plug before, with just days to go. I think it will happen again.

The internet is kind of weird in which all perspective is dismissed and everything it's final, everything it's absolute, things are either great or shit, every company it's number one or in danger, no nuance. In regards to the movie and what DC should do or not, I'll just give it time and distance. There's no need, IMO, to be taking it's temperature everytime somebody says something about it, that's not conducive to any productive discussion or learning. Right now there's too much emotion vested in those thoughts and the risk is too great of overreacting in such a way that causes more harm than good.

The do need to review the results, what worked and what didn't, but they need it to do that regardless if the result was apparently good or bad and aim to improve on what didn't worked as they expected it. After all, they have way more information of the processes and choices that engender them in the first place and comments like fire Snyder or they need a Feige are just superficial judgements filled with too much emotion and too little information.

I do think they'll continue, "they will stumble, they will fall, but in time.....in time, they will reach the sun".

ryan299

WB cancelled JL Mortal a month before production and Superman Lives 3 weeks before start. There's precedent!

I think they're in trouble though even if they replace Snyder. The script is getting torn apart by everybody also. So even if they do bring another director on, who knows if they can turn a Terrio script into something good.

WB cancelled JL Mortal a month before production and Superman Lives 3 weeks before start. There's precedent!

I think they're in trouble though even if they replace Snyder. The script is getting torn apart by everybody also. So even if they do bring another director on, who knows if they can turn a Terrio script into something good.

I'd be pretty comfortable calling those people wrong. This film has editing issues out the wazoo, but I have 0 issues with the script. It's good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom