• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
WB cancelled JL Mortal a month before production and Superman Lives 3 weeks before start. There's precedent!

I think they're in trouble though even if they replace Snyder. The script is getting torn apart by everybody also. So even if they do bring another director on, who knows if they can turn a Terrio script into something good.
Yes, but things are different now, if you can't see why they are that way, nothing I can say will change it.

Ashhong

WB cancelled JL Mortal a month before production and Superman Lives 3 weeks before start. There's precedent!

I think they're in trouble though even if they replace Snyder. The script is getting torn apart by everybody also. So even if they do bring another director on, who knows if they can turn a Terrio script into something good.

Is it the script or the story though? The words themselves were fine imo, but the story and setup is where the issue lies. Not sure what that falls into

antovolk

That's how long it is? Thank God, I was hoping they would add thirty minutes to the film.

Yeah. Seems like that was the pretty much final cut Snyder delivered to Warners in the first place, but both like for Watchmen got cold feet about releasing it theatrically and so they cut it down to what it is now.

With all the BO talk - how much in comparison to the theatrical we have now do you think a PG-13 cleaned up version of the 3 hour cut would've made?

IconGrist

Lol I swear I watched a different movie than this "majority" that says the script sucks. It had a couple off moments but without knowing how the extra half hour fits in I can't even call those actually bad just yet.

I pretty much do nothing but watch movies. A script you didn't like doesn't make it bad. Go watch Honey 2 and you'll see a bad script, lol.

antovolk

Lol I swear I watched a different movie than this "majority" that says the script sucks. It had a couple off moments but without knowing how the extra half hour fits in I can't even call those actually bad just yet.

I pretty much do nothing but watch movies. A script you didn't like doesn't make it bad. Go watch Honey 2 and you'll see a bad script, lol.

I personally think that what they've tried to 'cram' into this will pay off far better and work better in the UC at the very least because of the extra time we have.

The legit concerns I have with the theatrical cut as is I think are rooted in that they cut 30 minutes out of the film after it was pretty much done.

I can see the editing & pacing issues, the script ain't the problem but the RT score being what it is has opened all kinds of dumb criticism to be validated without any substantiation.

guek

Banned
This is a really weird conversation you've gotten yourself into.

How is it weird?

I find it hypocritical to root for movies you liked or expect to like while criticizing others for being glad a project they didn't enjoy failed to meet expectations. That shouldn't have any impact on whether or not someone enjoys a movie.

I'm not surprise it's doing poorly. People I know disliked the film, said it was boring and a big mess, the big fight being a letdown, and Ending being stupid.

I couldn't even recommend the movie, said to wait for the DVD, it wasn't worth watching in the theater.

Kinda wish someone with influence was involved in the Movie to convience WB to have release the 3 hour version.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Would you still be saying that if you thought they were really bad movies?
Wait... what? Why would I hope they fail? Is it because I love the characters and want a complete reboot and the only way to get that is hoping for failure? I might be more indignant about their success but I don't root for them to fail. That's just weird preteen videogame industry logic I used to subscribe to. Nintendo for life! Screw Sony!

This is how I feel. This movie has some issues but the script wasn't one of them. I can't believe it is even a complaint by anyone. I've never hears a single MCU or XMen movie be criticized for their script. We entered stupid territory a while ago but this just confirms it.

IconGrist

How is it weird?

I find it hypocritical to root for movies you liked or expect to like while criticizing others for being glad a project they didn't enjoy failed to meet expectations. That shouldn't have any impact on whether or not someone enjoys a movie.

That's not hypocritical. Those just are just differences of opinion.

"I liked movie I hope it succeeds."
"I didn't like movie and I hope it fails."

If you didn't like the movie you can disregard its existence and any further movies related to it. To argue you hope it fails means you would prefer to take away something from the people who liked the movie instead of allowing them to enjoy the product offered. Something you were going to ignore anyway.

The argument is that if it fails they will start over and offer a better product. But you have no guarantee here (as it has at bare minimum a 50/50 shot of being worse). So it's pointless to bring that up.

Anybody else think the Knightmare scene with the Flash should've been first scene in the movie or close to it?

I know people love the beginning, but it was a bit unnecessary since everyone knows Batman's origin and it was only used for a specific reason. Also it could've been used later?

I figured Bruce being in Metropolis during the fight save a couple people, then becomes obsessive with Superman vs Zod fight,then he has the Knightmare? I just think it would've had more impact.

Magwik

Banned
Anybody else think the Knightmare scene with the Flash should've been first scene in the movie or close to it?

I know people love the beginning, but it was a bit unnecessary since everyone knows Batman's origin and it was only used for a specific reason. Also it could've been used later!

I figured Bruce being in Metropolis during the fight save a couple people, then becomes obsessive with Superman vs Zod fight,then he has the Knightmare? I just think it would've had more impact.

It would have fit more in right before or after the
they were hunters scene

guek

Banned
If you didn't like the movie you can disregard its existence and any further movies related to it. To argue you hope it fails means you would prefer to take away something from the people who liked the movie instead of allowing them to enjoy the product offered.

That's not true for DC fans though or even fans of movies in general. While I don't agree with the desire some have for the superhero genre to burst, I can understand their point of view if they're not keen on those movies because they ultimately take resources away from products that they might enjoy more. It's even worse if you're an actual fan of these characters and don't enjoy Snyder's version of them because those fans want the franchise to succeed but aren't fans of the current vision. For those fans, it's impossible to disregard the existence of the DCEU. The same detrimental effects you're citing for people who liked BvS work in turn for people who didn't like it if it ends up being a massive success. No one is preventing anyone else from enjoying or not enjoying BvS. It seems perfectly reasonable to me to want more DC movies but not want we're currently getting.

Ashhong

I know people love the beginning, but it was a bit unnecessary since everyone knows Batman's origin and it was only used for a specific reason. Also it could've been used later?

I can't wrap my head around people having an issue with his origin, especially in this movie. It was a whole 5 minutes, mixed with the credits, shot beautifully, and served a purpose. Come on.

Anyway, isn't that the order anyway? He saves metropolis, researches shit, then has the knightmare.

Draconian

People complaining about the origin can go take a hike as far as I'm concerned. The reaction what's a 5 minute sequence at the beginning of the movie has been pretty comical imo. People are acting like this is ASM where Uncle Ben's death is treated like a major story beat, when we saw it in another movie a decade before it. That's not how it's presented here at all.

People complaining about the origin can go take a hike as far as I'm concerned. The reaction what's a 5 minute sequence at the beginning of the movie has been pretty comical imo. People are acting like this is ASM where Uncle Ben's death is treated like a major story beat, when we saw it in another movie a decade before it. That's not how it's presented here at all.

Yeah I don't get origin complaints, I thought it was a pretty great sequence that took very little time. People don't understand that there's a whole new generation of kids that haven't seen Batman's origin. It's just "me me me".

witness

Don't. Fucking reboot it.

It's not too late. Just fucking cancel JL.

I would be livid. I think JL should be delayed, and a new Batman solo announced in its place (obviously it wouldn't release until 2018 though). Then they need a new MoS with a new director to build goodwill towards the character. To the GA, he's just not like able. This needs to be corrected before JL and we need the new Batman solo to crush it. Once that is in place, please continue.

duckroll

Here's what I think. If WB "reboots" this, any hope of a DC Cinematic Universe in this decade is toast. Literally no one would want to step up to take Snyder's place in building the universe if they know that all their hard work could just be flushed down the toilet from one "failure". Talented people have better things to do than to sacrifice their years on stuff like this.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm tired of fricking Batman movies. If the response to this is to double down on fricking Batman solo movies, I'm going to lose it.

Frick everything!

I am just delusional because this whole thing is just a huge disappointment. Don't read anything into my comments right now.

Would feel so good when Suicide Squad is a success at the critics and BO side.

They're fine. It can crawl to a profit over the oncoming months.
Use Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman to build back good will
Chris Terrio already shared that Justice League by nature will be lighter and less philosophical so it should find an audience easier.

ITS ALL GOOD FOLKS. PHEW

Smdh really embarrassing for WB not improving much from last year

Draconian

I'm tired of fricking Batman movies. If the response to this is to double down on fricking Batman solo movies, I'm going to lose it.

Frick everything!

They shouldn't double down, but they should go ahead and officially announce the one that's been rumored for some time already.

Here's what I think. If WB "reboots" this, any hope of a DC Cinematic Universe in this decade is toast. Literally no one would want to step up to take Snyder's place in building the universe if they know that all their hard work could just be flushed down the toilet from one "failure". Talented people have better things to do than to sacrifice their years on stuff like this.

Ideally, no one would have to "take Snyder's place," because ideally, they'd have DC-versed executives overseeing the DCCU rather than a single director.

I honestly think regardless of anything else Bruce Timm needs a supervisor role going forward at the very least.
Not only was he mostly responsible for a more well done Universe than the MCU, he was also responsible for overseeing nearly 20 DTV movies.

At the very least bring him and maybe Dini in to look over the script for Justice League for any slight changes and give a general pitch of everything else afterwards.

duckroll

I honestly think regardless of anything else Bruce Timm needs a supervisor role going forward at the very least.
Not only was he mostly responsible for a more well done Universe MCU, he was also responsible for overseeing nearly 20 DTV animated movies.

At the very least bring him and maybe Dini in to look over the script for Justice League and give a general pitch of everything else afterwards.

I'm pretty sure Timm and Dini said they have zero interest in crossing over to touch live action films. They're happy with their legacy.

Cheebo

Banned
I'm pretty sure Timm and Dini said they have zero interest in crossing over to touch live action films. They're happy with their legacy.

Yes, both have said they would never do it. Dini even said on Kevin Smith's podcast that Marvel is doing it so well he sees no point of wanting to even try to compete.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, both have said they would never do it. Dini even said on Kevin Smith's podcast that Marvel is doing it so well he sees no point of wanting to even try to compete.

Pussies, bring in Christ Nolan to save the DCEU.

if only

ReiGun

We already have the Lego Batman movie coming and Bats will be appearing in SS, potentially Wonder Woman, and JLA. I know people think the Batman franchise is untouchable, but even the Bat can fall victim to oversaturation.

If we're entertaining this fantasy where WB completely changes their schedule in a week due to negative feedback, then a better move would be to movie a solo movie up. Aquaman or Shazam would be likely candidates.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom