• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
We already talked about this a few pages back, seems to be an overblown story with no actual sources or facts. The only "fact" we have is that they had reshoots for the guy that plays Croc since his original schedule conflicted with the original production. There's no way they went back and re-shot a ton of footage and rebuilt sets without anyone knowing. All the other actors are currently filming other movies as well.

Ashhong

Yes, both have said they would never do it. Dini even said on Kevin Smith's podcast that Marvel is doing it so well he sees no point of wanting to even try to compete.

What kind of pathetic excuse is this? Why even look at it as competition? How about just telling good stories?

All that shit sounds like the show's creative team - Berlanti/Guggenheim/Kreisberg/Sokolowski. I don't ever hear Johns name being brought up with Arrow unless it's some shit like the Oracle thing.

EDIT: And fuck a reboot.

Yeah he approved it though, it was early on and they were trying to get Batman characters. he offered them Huntress and oversaw their use of her.
They hyped his involvement up in interviews until she actually showed up and then he dropped off the radar other than mentions about requesting other characters(Nightwing, etc) and getting turned down mostly.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Its big news. This calls into question the entire extended DC movie universe. Arguably this is the biggest movie industry story of 2016.
No, just means that you can't expect big money if you make a shit movie. I know some are going to be all doom and gloom about it.

But it all boils to the movie not being good, it's simple

Yeah he approved it though, it was early on and they were trying to get Batman characters. he offered them Huntress and oversaw their use of her.
They hyped his involvement up in interviews until she actually showed up and then he dropped off the radar other than mentions about requesting other characters(Nightwing, etc) and getting turned down mostly.
He wrote scripts for the show, the first time Barry showed up in Arrow he wrote that script. And he was very involved with season 1 of Flash. Wrote like 3 episodes for that season.

He wrote scripts for the show, the first time Barry showed up in Arrow he wrote that script. And he was very involved with season 1 of Flash. Wrote like 3 episodes for that season.
Talking early Arrow, they just didn't hype him anymore
Flash wouldn't even exist without him though.

Effect

Question. Would perhaps straight up adapting various comic storylines be a better direction compared to trying take elements from various stories and creating a new story? The material is already there and the work is done. I'm not against the later but was curious what others thought.

Doing the later seems to work really well in a TV setting for WB almost without question. For example can look at the animated series, Flash, Arrow, Gotham, and even Supergirl. Legends is different because it's time travel so I'm not sure what they've been referencing. You have time to flesh new things out over many hours.

The former is what they do for their direct to video animated films. Justice League Doom is an adaption of Tower of Babel for example. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies/Apocalypse are adaptions of those comic storylines. Then you have New Frontier, Wonder Woman (an adaption of the Gods and Mortals arc I think). Of course you'd still have to add some new content to build it up some but the bulk of the story would already have been created.

You can still have connectivity. The assumption being like in the comics the events of a previous story still took place but time passed before another story took place. No need to make the films flow into each other though. Could this perhaps provide for leaner and easier to follow films with less chances for things to go wrong?

What got me thinking about this was thinking about Watchmen and 300. Two films that were really well done I feel but were pretty much adaptions of comics already done. Snyder just brought them to life (That isn't easy mind you. Not at all. Especially something like Watchmen) instead of being tasked (or others being tasked) with creating something new. Tone and content wise the films would still be different from Marvel because the DC comic content can be and is different already.

Draconian

You're acting like people have been treating the origin scene like it's the only thing wrong with the movie and they're constantly attacking it. If the movie had been better, then that scene would've just been a blip on the radar, but because so many people disliked it, it was just one more in a long list of things to be annoyed about.

When did I say that? I understand many of the complaints people have about the movie. Of the ones I've read, I consider those about that sequence to be near the bottom of the list. Your reasoning makes it sound like people are whining about it just to whine.

Last year rumors circulated of Berlanti directing a Booster Gold & Blue Beetle film. Zak Penn was rumored alongside to be writing it, which is the bad, bad, very bad side to the rumor.

Snyder has to go, it doesn't matter how far the whole thing is in production or how many contracts there are. WB can't let him keep fucking these franchises.

I respect your opinion, but it would be nice to go a day in this thread without hearing you tell everyone the sky is falling and Snyder's got to go.

Your shtick is getting real old real fast.

Edit:

Hmm. Nevermind.

For Batman i'd take straight story adaptations.
Everyone else can be whatever.

Batman I basically want.
Under the Red Hood(100% of the animated movie, i'd add more Nightwing, maybe Batgirl and a bit Catwoman)
Mask of the Phantasm(100% maybe a bit of Catwoman or Selina in the contemporary side)
Hush(loose)
Court of Owls (loose)

Batgirl in Red Hood is a must if Barbara is in the Ultimate Cut of BvS.
Selina would be a full supporting character of the trilogy if it was up to me.

Currently sitting in theater for 2nd go of it

Maybe DC really likes....DC, but the theater is almost full

Just proves to me that agonizing over big drops for big numbers isnt smart. A slow crawl is still a profit. Break even + 1 is a profit

Effect

For Batman i'd take straight story adaptations.
Everyone else can be whatever.

Batman I basically want.
Under the Red Hood(100% of the animated movie, i'd add more Nightwing, maybe Batgirl and a bit Catwoman)
Mask of the Phantasm(100% maybe a bit of Catwoman or Selina in the contemporary side)
Hush(loose)
Court of Owls (loose)

Batgirl in Red Hood is a must if Barbara is in the Ultimate Cut of BvS.
Selina would be a full supporting character of the trilogy if it was up to me.

I put back my original question.

Your choices are pretty good. I think they could get away with this. Even if one has seen the animated films or read the comic stories there would still be a chance to add new things and seeing it all in live action would get those people to go. The stories don't have to be original. That 75 years worth of comics should be mined. They can be 100% adaptions or loose like the Wonder Woman animated film. Just don't recreate the wheel if you don't have to. Especially when you have an entire season to do it.

PBY

Banned
Damn at the second weekend drop for this.

I have a hard time seeing how WB doesn't switch it up for JL. Not necessarily remove Zach, but they have to do something.

Damn at the second weekend drop for this.

I have a hard time seeing how WB doesn't switch it up for JL. Not necessarily remove Zach, but they have to do something.
I don't see him directing another DC movie, but I said this before the huge drops. He still will be credited though.

Also, they have to kill off Eisenberg ASAP. This guy has no respect for comics.

Lex Luthor was never dead. His son is killed off by the Justice League, and the original Lex Luthor returns for retribution. Yeah, I'm not taking the whole BvS thing very well. Please put up with my delusions.

IconGrist

I've never bought into this idea that if they don't respect the comics they can't play a character from one. A lot of what goes into the movie is just talking with the writer and getting direction from the director. Eisenberg portrayed the Lex he was asked to portray. The Lex that was pitched to him. You can blame Snyder for your dislike of this particular Lex. That has nothing to do with Eisenberg.

Lex Luthor was never dead. His son is killed off by the Justice League, and the original Lex Luthor returns for retribution. Yeah, I'm not taking the whole BvS thing very well. Please put up with my delusions.

Flash goes back in time to stop Bruce from going
full psychopathic killer
at the start of JL,
Flash fixes the timeline but as it turns out, real Lex was a villain Batman
killed in the other timeline

you could also show that Reverse Flash did some shit to get us where we are in BvS.
Reverse Flash created the tornado that killed Pa Kent!!!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
This is depressing. I get a Superman movie I enjoy with a Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman follow up I also enjoy with the promise of a shared universe to come and the general public hates it. Now everything else seems to be up in the air while I have to read people excited about the potential collapse. Then I talk to my dad today and he didn't like it. Said it was too slow in the beginning and not enough jokes. I guess I'll just have to accept I have bad taste in relation to the average movie goer.

Flash goes back in time to stop Bruce from going
full psychopathic killer
at the start of JL,
Flash fixes the timeline but as it turns out, real Lex was a villain Batman
killed in the other timeline

you could also show that Reverse Flash did some shit to get us where we are in BvS.
Reverse Flash created the tornado that killed Pa Kent!!!

Yeah, they could 'fix' some stuff with Flash, but I like the Batman how he is, because there is reason why he is that way and he changes. Good character development if you ask me.

a916

Lol I could two craps about an actor respecting the comics... give me a talented actor that's right for the role.

Tone down the crazy for his role, people will be happy. He's talented enough to pull off cold and steely.

Lol I could two craps about an actor respecting the comics... give me a talented actor that's right for the role.

Tone down the crazy for his role, people will be happy. He's talented enough to pull off cold and steely.

It buggs me, sorry. They're getting so much money for this shit, they could at least read a bit about the characters history and not just to the pitch.

ReiGun

Y'all are letting the negative reception get you fanfic'ing "solutions" that sound just...just awful. lol

Everyone needs to chill out. No the movie didn't meet expectations. Yes, someone at WB is probably furious and going crazy. But nothing any of us has suggested sounds better, tbh.

This is depressing. I get a Superman movie I enjoy with a Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman follow up I also enjoy with the promise of a shared universe to come and the general public hates it. Now everything else seems to be up in the air while I have to read people excited about the potential collapse. Then I talk to my dad today and he didn't like it. Said it was too slow in the beginning and not enough jokes. I guess I'll just have to accept I have bad taste in relation to the average movie goer.

Nah. Just like what you like and keep it moving. I also enjoyed the movie despite its problems. I have friends who liked the movie, as do many of us. There are lots of people who liked the movie. Don't let people on gaf or Twitter or wherever have you thinking you're somehow wrong for enjoying what you enjoy.

It's fun to like things. It's why I rather just post in this thread than venture into the OT. because I honestly don't understand being so obsessed with something you don't like. And granted, not everyone in here enjoyed BvS. But the conversation and debate is certainly much better, meaning I actually enjoy it.

Bottom line, just do what you enjoy and screw everyone else. They're just movies, man. Nothing worth letting yourself get so down about.

a916

If I'm WB I stay the course, but adjust. None of this torched Earth that everyone is praying for. Not sure what that means with Justice League... you go in, let Snyder do it because it's too late to change. But make sure you oversea it all and as that's happening, start planning re-shoots and go in and tweak the movie after Snyder is done.

This WB, so they'll overreact lol.

Magwik

Banned
If I'm WB I stay the course, but adjust. None of this torched Earth that everyone is praying for. Not sure what that means with Justice League... you go in, let Snyder do it because it's too late to change. But make sure you oversea it all and as that's happening, start planning re-shoots and go in and tweak the movie after Snyder is done.

This WB, so they'll overreact lol.

WB let Pan and Jupiter Ascending casually fall into the abyss, they don't care.

Alright. I am not mad, but I am unhappy about the situation they're in.
But I will stop now, there is nothing I can do and I am not even blaming Snyder entirely.

Who is the other producer alongside Deborah Snyder ?

a916

WB let Pan and Jupiter Ascending casually fall into the abyss, they don't care.

Pan/Mad Max/Jupiter Ascending... those are massive BO flops.

Which only put more pressure on them...

Alright. I am not mad, but I am unhappy about the situation they're in.
But I will stop now, there is nothing I can do and I am not even blaming Snyder entirely.

Who is the other producer alongside Deborah Snyder ?

Charles Roven.

ReiGun

Before BvS came out, it was "all WB has to do is make a good movie!"

Now they gotta fire Synder, rearrange their whole filming schedule, somehow cast and get solo movies prepared to shoot basically tomorrow, rewrite Justice League though no one has read the script, connect the TV universe,copy Marvel but don't copy Marvel, access the Speed Force to go back in time and cast a bald white man as Lex Luthor, find the Anti-Life Equation....

Everyone has got to chill. lol

Y'all are letting the negative reception get you fanfic'ing "solutions" that sound just...just awful. lol
Reverse Flash one was a joke,

Lex one im serious about because fuck this Lex, so horrendous(only thing I seriously hated in this) I don't care if it can be redeemed I absolutely don't want to see him again
unless Justice League cold opens to him dead in prison.

Ross61

Its not all over, probably even far from it. Please, lets collectively take a deep breath, and exhale. This is not the end, and it can be overcome. Just relax.

I'm at a loss to find the beneficial outcome of the financial failure others see. I'd love a course correct but suggestions of burning it all down, as if the reboot is next year? I see it another way. WB gets cold feet and we don't see DC films for many years. That'd be disappointing.

At least there is LEGO Batman.

I'm at a loss to find the beneficial outcome of the financial failure others see. I'd love a course correct but suggestions of burning it all down, as if the reboot is next year? I see it another way. WB gets cold feet and we don't see DC films for many years. That'd be disappointing.

Yeah, that's much more likely. They GL the whole shebang and we don't get another DC movie for more than a decade.

I see a lot of the same people rooting for BvS to fail as were rooting for it to suck going in, so I'm thinking that that might be the goal here. Not for all of them, of course, there are a few BO watchers who just like seeing records get set, but yeah.

Source or additional info?

unbenanntafodh.jpg

Wonder what the reception would be if they had an animated universe for movies. Find a 3d style that sticks and base their universe around that. The audience for 3d movies is primarily kids right now, but maybe Seth Rogen's movie will break some ground.

a916

Yeah, that's much more likely. They GL the whole shebang and we don't get another DC movie for more than a decade.

I see a lot of the same people rooting for BvS to fail as were rooting for it to suck going in, so I'm thinking that that might be the goal here. Not for all of them, of course, there are a few BO watchers who just like seeing records get set, but yeah.

This is what some fans want... a complete overhaul, new actors and everything. Good luck, we'll be waiting another 4-5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom