• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
WB doesn't do movies like that... and wasn't BVS screened a billion times?

The 3 hour version got good reactions, with the released version they got mixed reception from the screenings. With so much on the line, they are being really, really careful with their next steps. SS, WW and JL all need to hit. So I do think they'll get off their director driven thing (at least with Snyder) for now.

You are right though, WB is weird (and I love it) like that. Yeah you get stuff like Pan, but then you have Mad Max....what other company would go through with those?

a916

The 3 hour version got good reactions, with the released version they got mixed reception from the screenings. With so much on the line, they are being really, really careful with their next steps. SS, WW and JL all need to hit. So I do think they'll get off their director driven thing (at least with Snyder) for now.

You are right though, WB is weird (and I love it) like that. Yeah you get stuff like Pan, but then you have Mad Max....what other company would go through with those?

Well not anymore lol... they are going to try to mimic the Disney model where you focus on the tentpole titles.

Oh shit.

tumblr_o5gkjjAkFS1tysvr9o1_540.gif
#

This is right before he jumps into the chemicals and he doesn't look like he pushed Harley in there.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I think they'll just screen the future films for fans and then release them without critic screenings. Not gonna do them any good to screen them for critics at all now.

Ahasverus

Bats saves her, but fakes her death to keep Joker away. Joker takes the death out on Robin, causing Batman to spiral into what we got in BvS.
This is... kinda great
I think they'll just screen the future films for fans and then release them without critic screenings. Not gonna do them any good to screen them for critics at all now.
They'll make them resent them. Critics are a petty bunch. I say have test screenings with real critics.

Effect

I think they also have to decide if they ever create a situation where they have to cut down a film like that again. I don't think Snyder made a 3 hour film without the okay from WB. If that is the film that was getting all the positive reactions and WB got cold feet and had him cut it down then that might be the reason why Snyder is still in his position and nothing drastic has changed. If, it might not be but if it is, this is the case then all things being fair he's ultimately not at fault. Him being so open when talking about things not in the film might be him reminding WB what happen. Especially since he's so invested (time and likely money wise as well) in what WB is doing with the DC films. I still expect the tone would have been serious, somber, violent, etc. Dark. However issues many had with the story pacing, editing, flow, etc might not have been present.

When it comes to JL I don't think we're getting a director's cut. I think whatever they're doing it's going to be designed to be a specific length from the start to make sure what happen with BvS, at least on this front, doesn't happen again. They're likely going to make sure whatever they make doesn't need to be edited down for time. If that's the case then that script to be very tight.

SJRB

Gold Member
I just watched Batman Bad Blood, that was awesome! The animations and fight choreography were amazing, and better than in many regular movie. Awesome artstyle too, characters weren't so insanely disproportionate as in Flashpoint Paradox [which I really liked too, mostly because of the insane Thomas Wayne twist, and Wonder Woman fucking chopping off heads as trophies].

Also totally want to read more comics about Batwoman, she was dope as hell.

Edit: eh well shit, about those comics......

Very unlikely WW. In a best case scenario, it could beat its domestic gross though.

I'm curious, I see stuff like this a lot, why do you think that is? That it wouldn't scale proportionally, domestic and WW at the same time, I mean. Is there just something that makes you think it won't land with overseas audiences like it will with domestic ones?

Kibbles

what if he loses the Tattoos after jumping in the chemicals?
Considering that scene is how Harley's hair gets dyed (in the last trailer you see the red and blue from their shirts leaking out from their clothes and on her hair) and we see her with Joker later with her hair dyed, no it doesn't remove the tats :p

a916

I will fucking riot if that were to happen. No way she dies.

If someone would to suggest that, that's where WB needs to step in and yeah no, you're not doing anything like that lol.

If they did do that, it'll be fixed so fast, it'll make your head spin.... magical revival or fake death... lol.

It's not always proportional. Deadpool for example was strong both domestically and abroad but BvS made $100M more in foreign markets, in part because it had China and Deadpool didn't, but I also think it was due to brand recognition. Unless they start marketing SS as a Batman film, I don't think it's going to be as strong as BvS abroad. Making half a billion overseas isn't easy, especially with a new franchise. But as it stands, BvS is much weaker domestically compared to its foreign gross (37.8% and 62.2% respectively). Deadpool and GotG had a much better ratio (47.4%/52.6%, 43.1%/56.9%). That's why I think SS has a chance at beating BvS domestically but probably wont abroad.

Unless there's an absurd budget attached, WB will be doing backflips if SS can reach Guardians numbers.

guek

Banned
I'm curious, I see stuff like this a lot, why do you think that is? That it wouldn't scale proportionally, domestic and WW at the same time, I mean. Is there just something that makes you think it won't land with overseas audiences like it will with domestic ones?

It's not always proportional. Deadpool for example was strong both domestically and abroad but BvS made $100M more in foreign markets, in part because it had China and Deadpool didn't, but I also think it was due to brand recognition. Unless they start marketing SS as a Batman film, I don't think it's going to be as strong as BvS abroad. Making half a billion overseas isn't easy, especially with a new franchise. But as it stands, BvS is much weaker domestically compared to its foreign gross (37.8% and 62.2% respectively). Deadpool and GotG had a much better ratio (47.4%/52.6%, 43.1%/56.9%). That's why I think SS has a chance at beating BvS domestically but probably wont abroad.

Snaku

Banned
Got a free ticket to see BvS, may be seeing it a 5th time this evening. The 5th time I went to see TFA I really wasn't all that jazzed to see it again, but I'm actually super pumped to see BvS again. Kinda strange since I generally consider TFA to be a superior film.

Hmm. I'm just wondering why that is, is all. Brand recognition counting for more overseas, I mean.

So basically People fucked WB/DC for doing reshoots to add more humour.
Then some guy says they're doing reshoots for the Croc actor.
Some random guy rises and says the reshoots is bigger than a lot of movies shooting days. Defenders of get rekt.

The Ayer tweets.

Case closed. The hyperbole can be something, oh boy.
All this chit-chat, is gonna get ya hurt.

Raptor

Got a free ticket to see BvS, may be seeing it a 5th time this evening. The 5th time I went to see TFA I really wasn't all that jazzed to see it again, but I'm actually super pumped to see BvS again. Kinda strange since I generally consider TFA to be a superior film.

Rewatchability is a strange thing, not always the superior movie is the more rewatchable, I enjoy watching Desolation of Smaug more than TTT for instance.

A lot of people say Superman Returns is a way more competent film than MoS, yet I cant watch more than half an hour without getting bored out of my mind but I can rewatch MoS as many times it just doesnt matter, I dont get bored lol.

I can rewatch Batman Begins a lot, TDKR however I cant.

a916

One thing I LOVED about the Suicide Squad trailer was the moment Joker laughed, everyone was like uh oh... the complete opposite of Guardians where you had a terrible villain undermining your big bad in Thanos with no repercussions. You're cutting the legs of your big bad before he can even step up.

jmood88

One thing I LOVED about the Suicide Squad trailer was the moment Joker laughed, everyone was like uh oh... the complete opposite of Guardians where you had a terrible villain undermining your big bad in Thanos with no repercussions. You're cutting the legs of your big bad before he can even step up.
You see what you want to see, I suppose.

IconGrist

Ronan talked shit and then betrayed Thanos and all he did was sit there like a dope. Doesn't exactly make Thanos look all that imposing. It wouldn't be so bad but that's basically his most significant moment so far in the MCU.

ReiGun

I would take even just a picture of the Flash. They gotta give us something for the first day of shooting.

So basically People fucked WB/DC for doing reshoots to add more humour.
Then some guy says they're doing reshoots for the Croc actor.
Some random guy rises and says the reshoots is bigger than a lot of movies shooting days. Defenders of get rekt.

The Ayer tweets.

Case closed. The hyperbole can be something, oh boy.

Some people are still holding on to it.

No one will ever just take the L anymore.

I mean.

It's not a good look for Thanos. And Ronan seemed imposing until he got his ass beat in a danceoff. So it's kind of the worst of both worlds?

Guardians is still a good movie, don't get me wrong, but that's in spite of its issues with its villains.

a916

I mean.

It's not a good look for Thanos. And Ronan seemed imposing until he got his ass beat in a danceoff. So it's kind of the worst of both worlds?

Guardians is still a good movie, don't get me wrong, but that's in spite of its issues with its villains.

Yup, this. I enjoyed the movie but not a fan of how they did their villain(s) in it. It kind of showed there's no consequences of going against Thanos, at least not yet. He just sat there and called him boy.

ronan won't be 1/10th the villain that the joker is in this movie if they do him right. mcu villains have been known to be quite underwhelming but that one is certainly near the bottom of the list.

i'll take all 3 iron man movie bad guys over him any day.

I often dream the gansta look is an act the Joker is putting on for reasons
let me dream

joker has always been a gangster. now they just change the era and some people lose their minds haha.

it's like going from GTA 3 to San Andreas minus the gross racism from people.

rokero

The tattoos the whole look won't ruin the Joker for me in fact the little we've seen of him has been awesome and very comicbook like, though I would have preferred the classic clean look

Forehead tattoo is not to my taste, but I'm into the theory of Ike Barinholtz or some guard doing it to him. Although it's too clean and neat unless they really strap him down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom