• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
you and others might enjoy it, but i assure you the bolded won't happen, this movie is way too toxic at this point.

Unfortunately true but I think also warranted. A good movie is a good movie and if the DC is great, it deserves some recognition. But there's no changing the past, and the DCEU going forward is going to be built off the the back of the theatrical release because that's what most people saw.

you and others might enjoy it, but i assure you the bolded won't happen, this movie is way too toxic at this point.

I think it kind of depends. The theatrical vs. director's cut is a real part of the conversation when discussing Watchmen. If it's good enough, I could see it being a thing.

Mind you, the memes won't stop because a ton of the people pushing them haven't actually seen the movie. But still.

ReiGun

I think time will be kind to BvS. Not in the sense that people will grow to like it or what have you, but opinions will fall closer along the middle of the road a little down the line when emotions aren't so high.

At this point, however, it's place as "one of the worst comic movies of all time" is probably cemented. I don't agree with that assessment at all, but that's where it looks like general consensus is settling.

guek

Banned
I think time will be kind to BvS. Not in the sense that people will grow to like it or what have you, but opinions will fall closer along the middle of the road a little down the line when emotions aren't so high.

At this point, however, it's place as "one of the worst comic movies of all time" is probably cemented. I don't agree with that assessment at all, but that's where it looks like general consensus is settling.

"most disappointing" would probably be more accurate

ReiGun

"most disappointing" would probably be more accurate

I'd ride with that, yeah.

The main thing pulling people toward "worst thing ever" is the sheer amount of anger and hurt feelings this movie is bubbling up in people. People are BIG mad at this film. Which will always be the most fascinating part to me.

Maddocks

Pretty sure it would only ever be a cameo, probably a little tag at the end of JL 1 about how there are things bigger then us and earth.

So apparently in the concept art for the Justice League,
Green Lantern
was shown off quite a bit.

Sauce

I thought I read it was more or less the stuff they showed on the CW back in January? I could see how someone could get that impression if they didn't check out that special.

kmfdmpig

Oh boy, it's time for the bvs hate train to start up again.

I really don't know why company wars are banned on gaming side but not here.

There are very legitimate concerns with the movie. I greatly prefer DC to Marvel, but aside from Thor 1, Thor 2, Hulk, and IM2 I'd prefer any of those movies to BvS. I respect what BvS tried to do, but it was so dour and joyless that it was simply not an enjoyable experience.

Pretty sure it would only ever be a cameo, probably a little tag at the end of JL 1 about how there are things bigger then us and earth.

Booooo! Him and Martian Manhunter are really important for me in generating any sort of excitement.

As it currently stands, the only JL movie member I remotely care about is Flash. The others aren't really doing much.

ReiGun

There are very legitimate concerns with the movie. I greatly prefer DC to Marvel, but aside from Thor 1, Thor 2, Hulk, and IM2 I'd prefer any of those movies to BvS. I respect what BvS tried to do, but it was so dour and joyless that it was simply not an enjoyable experience.

I don't think anyone's denying there are legit complaints about the movie. Just that it's lame when a thread about Civil War turns into shitting on DC movies/fans for pretty much no reason.

Being fair, it's also annoying when it happens in the reverse as well. If only because any enjoyable conversation is drowned out by the trolling and shitposting.

You're being way too sensitive if you think anything I've said has anything to do with company wars. Batman v Superman is a bad movie and it's not like I'm making up some insane or irrational reasons for disliking it.

I understand that Snyder tried to justify why the character didn't act in the way that everyone expected and I don't find those reasons very interesting. It's also clear that Snyder wanted to make a movie with different characters but got "stuck" having to cover Batman and Superman.

but how should Batman act?
and as far as the bold.I think only you share those opinions.

The comparison is completely off the mark.

People trashing BvS are like people on the gaming side mocking a game that got universally negative reviews and strongly disliked by most who bought it.

Thinking the hate for BvS is Marvel vs DC war isn't at all accurate, almost everyone did not like BvS. Hardcore DC fans included. I vastly prefer DC to Marvel, I love the character far more. I think the DCAU is leagues ahead of the MCU but I can be honest, BvS was a terrible nearly unwatchable movie.

I mean when a movie has worse legs than last years Fantastic Four we can dismiss the idea of it being a fan war, it's a movie that almost everyone regardless of their fandom did not like.

most people have more praise for the movie than not. I don't like to use it but rotten tomatoes says most fans recommend the movie. forums are a bubble and people love to make themselves heard, and quite loud.

I'm a hardcore DC fan and I think this was an interesting and good interpretation of the characters. if we're going to keep having these movies then we can't just be aping the same style over and over again.
Batman has to be this or Superman HAS TO BE LIKE THIS is the wrong path to take. you can't be a slave to comic canon because there's so many different takes on characters. comics have a large and successful history of different creators having different takes on the characters.
and as for the last point, I'm sure BvS has made more money than F4 regardless of it's legs.

I'm just not sure in a story where a Batman sees no light at the end of the tunnel in his crusade calls for it to be light hearted. it's like Jor-El's speech "they will stumble, they will fall but in time they will join you in the sun." you can say this one was the fall part.

share. it's worth it.

Eh, it wasn't much anyways and I didn't feel like saying something and going to sleep (aka pretty much bailing afterwards lol).

Jist was that I remember a couple of people mentioning in a couple of different threads, RT one included that the user score on RT was super inflated due to a huge number of reviews before the movie even released. Something like a 100k or thereabout. So that's propping that score up considerably. But I can't find the posts right now, so eh.

jackdoe

Eh, it wasn't much anyways and I didn't feel like saying something and going to sleep (aka pretty much bailing afterwards lol).

Jist was that I remember a couple of people mentioning in a couple of different threads, RT one included that the user score on RT was super inflated due to a huge number of reviews before the movie even released. Something like a 100k or thereabout. So that's propping that score up considerably.
This is the kind of movie where you'd have to wait til home video sales to see how well it resonated with the general audience. User scores are going to be meaningless for months to come.

Jist was that I remember a couple of people mentioning in a couple of different threads, RT one included that the user score on RT was super inflated due to a huge number of reviews before the movie even released. Something like a 100k or thereabout. So that's propping that score up considerably. But I can't find the posts right now, so eh.

I'm not the world's greatest detective (Elongated Man)
but the score is what it is. it's not like it started at 100% audience rating.

guek

Banned
I'm not the world's greatest detective (Elongated Man)
but the score is what it is. it's not like it started at 100% audience rating.
Actually, on RT it did. It had 110k reviews and a 95% audience rating before it opened. If you account for that, the actual user rating is closer to 36%. I can show you the math when I get home if you want but I don't want to bother if you're going to assume those 110k reviews shouldn't be excluded.

Magwik

Banned
I find it weird how people just blatantly post spoilers for the movie now but it gets a pass because people didn't like it.

Actually, on RT it did. It had 110k reviews and a 95% audience rating before it opened. If you account for that, the actual user rating is closer to 36%. I can show you the math when I get home if you want but I don't want to bother if you're going to assume those 110k reviews shouldn't be excluded.

nah, don't bother. at the end of the day I only care if I enjoyed the film which I did so all is well.

IconGrist

This conversation is kind of a double-edged sword, right? On the one hand your average joe will see a 69% and think whatever he thinks of that and move on. No harm no foul even if it isn't accurate. But if you stop him and go, "No no no no, it's actually like 36% because I was watching it the whole time and people were voting it real high before it was out so I kept track and then I was doing some math and it's not 69% it's 36%" then you might find joe looking at you like...

latest-wut-gif-498.gif

My point is, "Oh who the fuck cares!? Jeezus you're a bunch of nerds!"

Ninjimbo

I actually think time will be really kind to BvS and Man of Steel. It's not the like the film is poorly directed. The acting isn't bad. The story isn't bad. The action is well-shot. The whole production side of these movies is generally great.

To me it's basically another Watchmen. Most of the venom flung towards BvS and MoS is a result of the movies doing everything they can to subvert expectations. That's Snyder for you though. He never makes it easy on himself which makes him an easy target for his critics.

I think people who discover these movies in the future with little attachment to these characters will find them much more interesting and entertaining then the people watching them now. Kind of like how Blade Runner is revered now. I think Watchmen and MoS have that status already. With BvS, I'm still waiting on the director's cut to pass more judgement. 30 minutes can completely change a movie so I want to wait.

guek

Banned
This conversation is kind of a double-edged sword, right? On the one hand your average joe will see a 69% and think whatever he thinks of that and move on. No harm no foul even if it isn't accurate. But if you stop him and go, "No no no no, it's actually like 36% because I was watching it the whole time and people were voting it real high before it was out so I kept track and then I was doing some math and it's not 69% it's 36%" then you might find joe looking at you like...

latest-wut-gif-498.gif

It's not a big deal which is why I didn't press the point...

I was curious and I like math so I ran the numbers. *shrug*

I would like a general rule here that we not talk Marvel in here, at all. It always ends up in some stupid discussion.

Also, can we agree on not posting new stuff from Suicide Squad?

Ninjimbo

I think we've seen enough of SS, right? What more do we need to see besides the movie already?

Damn. It just hit me. SS is three months away! That's going to go to fast.

Ninjimbo

Good reviews?
Eff reviews lol.

I don't care if this gets 3% on Rotten. I'm still going to see it.

Anyways, it was just a thought. I don't know if I'm going to do a media blackout for SS. I didn't do one for BvS and that movie was like a hundred times more important for me.

Nothing from JL yet? Hasn't it begun shooting? At least expecting casting announcements. Curious if Jena Malone is in, if we ever get a confirmation of who she is in BvS.

Nothing from JL yet? Hasn't it begun shooting? At least expecting casting announcements. Curious if Jena Malone is in, if we ever get a confirmation of who she is in BvS.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a press release to be honest. In terms of set pics and such, I have a feeling we won't see much. Zack implied most of it will be shot in the sound stages outside London when he talked about the logistical nightmare of closing city streets to film BvS and said they just built the city streets there to make it easier.

ReiGun

I find it weird how people just blatantly post spoilers for the movie now but it gets a pass because people didn't like it.
This sucks. People were taking about the Martha thing before the movie was even officially released. Not fair at all to people who still wanted to see the movie.

latest-wut-gif-498.gif

Your average Joe wouldn't be looking at RT's audience score anyway, I'd imagine.

Cheebo

Banned
The gold standard for determining audience reaction to a movie for the last few decades has been box office legs. Movies with good word of mouth have good legs, movies with bad word of mouth have bad legs.

BvS had awful legs (worse than last years Fantastic Four).

That pretty much settles the debate on whether most of the audience liked the movie or not.

IconGrist

The gold standard for determining audience reaction to a movie for the last few decades has been box office legs. Movies with good word of mouth have good legs, movies with bad word of mouth have bad legs.

BvS had awful legs (worse than last years Fantastic Four).

That pretty much settles the debate on whether most of the audience liked the movie or not.

This argument changes based on what information is being spread. It's not a gold standard for anything. If it was you would be able to explain to me why a lot of other movies with good word of mouth bomb at the B.O. Or why bad movies make a billion.

Cheebo

Banned
This argument changes based on what information is being spread. It's not a gold standard for anything. If it was you would be able to explain to me why a lot of other movies with good word of mouth bomb at the B.O. Or why bad movies make a billion.
The argument doesn't change, it is the widely accepted standard for audience reception. For both big and small movies.

How much the movie makes in total has nothing to do with legs. Legs is about the week to week drop off. A movie with a small gross total can have great legs. It can have a 5 mil opening weekend but barely drop for the next 4-5 weeks and still be a movie with great legs.

guek

Banned
The argument doesn't change, it is the widely accepted standard for audience reception. For both big and small movies.

How much the movie makes in total has nothing to do with legs. Legs is about the week to week drop off. A movie with a small gross total can have great legs. It can have a 5 mil opening weekend but barely drop for the next 4-5 weeks and still be a movie with great legs.

I think he's saying legs aren't always a reflection of WOM which is true, they're not. Sometimes it's because marketing was poor or because the competition is too stiff (Hellboy 2). Some times movies are more front loaded because the event nature of the film causes most people who want to see it catch it in the first or second weekend (Deathly Hallows pt 2 is a good example). But much like the whole "good box office doesn't make it a good movie" argument, there's no hard and fast rule, you have to look at the specifics of each scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom