• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor

all zimmer needs to do is drop like 3 notes from the williams theme into his track in Justice League and you got a god tier resurrection. seriously there are so many moments ripe for being boosted by it and we get boring drums instead.

i don't even recall them using his Man of Steel theme (with the strings) in BvS. big disappointment. imagine hearing just a small sample of the old Williams theme as superman is regenerating from the nuclear attack. shit would have been epic.

they better do something amazing for his score when he is resurrected and comes in to help save the day in Justice League.

edit: really ahasversus?! old superman lifted shit like it was nothing to him, no physical strain on his face. he was very graceful, look at how the routh one puts down that daily planet globe for instance. you don't see that kind of presence in the snyder ones, cavill would be screaming as soon as he caught it lmao
Thats because on those movies they skipped the part where Superman just put on the suit, it went from training on the fortress for some time to being full on Superman, Snyder one is going from being some undergroudn savior to fighting through buildings and space in a short amount of time, not the same man.

guek

Banned
Again you miss the point, there is no Objective way to create some thing that people like or think is good. Each director puts on screen what he/she thinks is good or what people will like. It is then up to the viewer to decide whether or not the movie is good or bad. Because whether or not a movie is good or bad is determined by that persons taste, it is not a failure of the movie, and at the same time it is not failure of the viewer if he/she thinks it's bad. For example has a piece of Broccoli failed, simply because the person eating it doesn't like Broccoli?

So let me get this straight. By your metrics, there is no such thing as a good or bad movie just like there is no such thing as good or bad broccoli? Movies aren't born like calves from a womb, they're constructed. Broccoli can't help but be broccoli, movies can definitely come in varying shades of quality. While that quality is a subjective measure, that doesn't mean they're immune from criticism. To use your analogy, broccoli can't help but be broccoli but it can be cooked poorly, in which case you'd blame the cook, not the patron. It's true that some people will never like broccoli but that doesn't mean it can't be prepared well or poorly. And my main point of contention was the blaming of fans and the presumption that the Superman IP is inherently incapable of appealing to a wide audience.

TL;DR - MoS wasn't divisive because of the quality of the movie but the depictions of the characters. If you liked them the movie works, if you didn't it doesn't.
Fair enough. I don't disagree, but at the same time, there comes a point where if it doesn't work with enough people, something can be said about a film's execution. MoS though admittedly works for enough people that labeling it as such is debatable.

Busty

Banned
There is talk (or if you'd prefer 'rumours/whispers/chatter/scuttlebutt) that Warners have a 'name director' (and by that I assume they mean NOT a novelist turned first time director) signed to direct The Flash film and as a result of this new appointment the film will miss it's original March 2018 release date.

I imagine that this new director means that filming will be delayed but not significantly. Maybe the studio could look at a late 2018 instead?

Eh. Make of it what you will.

Magwik

Banned
There is talk (or if you'd prefer 'rumours/whispers/chatter/scuttlebutt) that Warners have a 'name director' (and by that I assume they mean NOT a novelist turned first time director) signed to direct The Flash film and as a result of this new appointment the film will miss it's original March 2018 release date.

I imagine that this new director means that filming will be delayed but not significantly. Maybe the studio could look at a late 2018 instead?

I don't even know who I would be hoping for

IconGrist

There is a guy on Twitter who is saying the Ultimate contains a lot more (with respect to Kenzo)
Clark/Superman scenes including a nightmare of his regarding the destruction of Metropolis. The wording is a bit ambiguous here so I'm not sure if he meant the Black Zero event or something else. He also claims some scenes are indeed moved around and alternate takes are used. Most notable in the Batman warehouse fight.

Now I saw nothing that says this guy is credible in any way and he's got the standard "I know some people" story but I thought I'd share anyway.

I was wondering what was up with The Flash. I figured WB would've had the new director news out by now based on how they handled WW losing its director.

Bleepey

There is a guy on Twitter who is saying the Ultimate contains a lot more (with respect to Kenzo)
Clark/Superman scenes including a nightmare of his regarding the destruction of Metropolis. The wording is a bit ambiguous here so I'm not sure if he meant the Black Zero event or something else. He also claims some scenes are indeed moved around and alternate takes are used. Most notable in the Batman warehouse fight.

Now I saw nothing that says this guy is credible in any way and he's got the standard "I know some people" story but I thought I'd share anyway.

link?

guek

Banned
Sam Raimi

RZhmtLIdsCKfS.gif

That would certainly pique my interest

Vaughn, Raimi, or Wright. Two of them are finishing projects which would explain the delay + a chance for them to have more input into the film.

shingi70

Banned
Saw this on reddit but apparently one of the Amanda Waller scenes in Sucide Squad is her watching the battle between the Trinity and Doomsday.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Snyder fucked up the brand so bad, they needed a visual change at least. Maybe the name too after JL.

pretty normal, lots of companies change their logo. Just not very often.

How did I not find any of these? Clearly my disinterest (up until now) of digital releases has made me not able to even find them!
Sorry. Let me see if I can fix it. Just noticed it's linking to the favorites section instead of the album itself.

Edit:

Here we go.

http://imgur.com/a/DIdY8

Oops, it WAS the Lion King one...someone asked that the first time I requested it and I said "no it wasn't that".

Sorry unholyrevenger72, thanks too Effect.

Looks way too 90s. Their previous one was their best one. Simple clean shapes and easy to read, bold striking. The D "turning page" effect revealing the C shows what the company is about in a simple and effective way.

It was dull as dishwater. The idea was they'd use different images inside the type, and make it a bit more dynamic, and of course they didn't.

90s icon is still my icon. The new one might grow on me, we'll see.

Y'all talking like Captain America movies don't exist. They explicitly show that you can have an honestly good hero who's determined to do the right thing without making him look like a cartoon character. Cap feels real in and out of costume, but can still the all American hero he's known for.

Just imagine for a minute that Superman acted like Cap in both movies a while going through the same struggles.

I like the cap movies but let's face he's as interesting as a wet towel.

And the bullet and stars is the best logo.

a916

It was dull as dishwater. The idea was they'd use different images inside the type, and make it a bit more dynamic, and of course they didn't.

90s icon is still my icon. The new one might grow on me, we'll see.

They do it on the CW shows and they did it on SKAD trailers.

I like the cap movies but let's face he's as interesting as a wet towel.

And the bullet and stars is the best logo.

yes i really liked him in cap 2 but that was more due to the tone that the majority of the movie took. especially the first hour or so.

captain america himself....he's kind of vapid when he speaks and also civil war proved once more that he can't be the most interesting guy in the room when you have the likes of stark around. nice guy character but the performance and character itself is a bit bland.

jackdoe

yes i really liked him in cap 2 but that was more due to the tone that the majority of the movie took. especially the first hour or so.

captain america himself....he's kind of vapid when he speaks and also civil war proved once more that he can't be the most interesting guy in the room when you have the likes of stark around. nice guy character but the performance and character itself is a bit bland.
Captain America as a character is straight up Batman (comic and Nolan versions) without the parental issues. Immovable objects who refuse to bend their morals to change with the times. Sure, these kinds of characters can be a bit two-dimensional, and it's up the rest of the cast to bring some flavor to the character, but I like that kind of character. It's like comfort food.

Dead

well not really...yet

This guy on the Reddit thread says he's heard the same thing in regards to that scene.

Doesn't mean much but then someone pointed out this line that Clark says in the extended cut when he's "speaking" to his father

"Do the nightmares ever end?"

Maybe it's legit. Would give even more context to the scene and to Pa Kents story.

Captain America as a character is straight up Batman (comic and Nolan versions) without the parental issues. Immovable objects who refuse to bend their morals to change with the times. Sure, these kinds of characters can be a bit two-dimensional, and it's up the rest of the cast to bring some flavor to the character, but I like that kind of character. It's like comfort food.

i love that kind of character in comics but in movies bending them and testing their will is great. it's why i think the nolan films and the idea of batman in BvS is so good to me.

also Bale and now Affleck have had amazing screen presence as Bruce Wayne. put that guy in Avengers and you have a rival to Stark.

Doesn't mean much but then someone pointed out this line that Clark says in the extended cut when he's "speaking" to his father

"Do the nightmares ever end?"

man i really didn't like this movie in the second half aside from the warehouse fight but this was another scene that i actually really appreciated. kevin costner has been a great pa kent imo.

IconGrist

Don't make me find you and slap you with a trout. Rebirth books look great, if they switch again it's because people don't buy them. Don't be wishing that on good books just because you got hung up on the damn logo.

I am very excited about Rebirth. I'm picking up the first of everything.

jey_16

Banned
The old logo worked for the TV shows because they actually did something with it. In the movies, apart from TDKR, it's just flashed on the screen and that's it. Hopefully they think of something unique for future films, always liked the marvel theme and logo before their films

Raptor

Yeah he is one of the best things about Man of Steel.

I cant help but laugh when I see him mentioned, lol that thread about him was hilarious, I remember a post that said something like "Im to old now I need to die" that had me laughing for a good five minutes.

The old logo worked for the TV shows because they actually did something with it. In the movies, apart from TDKR, it's just flashed on the screen and that's it. Hopefully they think of something unique for future films, always liked the marvel theme and logo before their films
Suicide Squad did something, let's keep the trend going.

ryan299

Big news. Jon Berg and Geoff Johns to run dc films in the BvS fallout. Hollywood Reporter

The fallout from Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice continues to ripple through Warner Bros.

The Burbank-based studio is making changes to the way it handles its DC Entertainment-centered films, giving oversight of the feature projects to a pair of executives and creating a dedicated division for the films. Current exec vp Jon Berg and Geoff Johns, DC's CCO who successfully launched the comics label's foray into television, will co-run DC Films, according to multiple sources. Warner Bros. declined to comment.

Further executive changes are anticipated, including a potential hire at the senior level.

Berg was already working on BvS, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman and Justice League. He also is the conduit to Ben Affleck, having worked with the actor-filmmaker on Argo and Live By Night, the crime thriller Affleck recently wrapped as director, writer and star for the studio.

With Berg and Johns, Warners is attempting to unify the disparate elements of the DC movies with a seasoned film exec and a comics veteran that together can hopefully emulate the way Marvel Studios has produced its films under the vision of president Kevin Feige. But sources also say Warners still wants to remain filmmaker-driven. As part of the new job, Berg and Johns will become producers on the Justice League movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom