• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
No shit. Where did I say its exclusive to Guardians?
My point is that the 2 films have the same set-up.

The set up stems from the comic book which was inspired by dirty dozen too

Suicide Squads marketing with its use of pop songs seems inspired by guardians but that's about it.

Guardians aren't working for anybody either so I don't see how they have the same setup exactly.

Ahasverus

No shit. Where did I say its exclusive to Guardians?
My point is that the 2 films have the same set-up.
Except it doesn't? I don't find the films comparable at all. Zero. There is no same "set-up", one is a bunch of super villains on a suicide mission, the others are a bunch of miscast in a fun space adventure. Come on.

Except it doesn't? I don't find the films comparable at all. Zero. There is no same "set-up", one is a bunch of super villains on a suicide mission, the others are a bunch of miscast in a fun space adventure. Come on.

Theme-aside, it's basically the same thing. Anti-heroes/villains on an adventure, as it should be--there's no need to get crazy intricate yet, even though I think the headbombs would be good to actually mention if they're using them.

Aside from the comics, the best version I've seen is Task Force X. Assault was great fun, but the set-up in the DCAU was better.

BadAss2961

You're talking nonsense. SS' best outcome is guardians. It's not hitting a billion--especially now.
To be clear, 770M is perfectly fine and a great success.
Already beat you to your point. I'm not saying it's hitting a billion, i'm saying a billion is Suicide Squad's hail-mary Deadpool equivalent.
Theme-aside, it's basically the same thing. Anti-heroes/villains on an adventure, as it should be--there's no need to get crazy intricate yet, even though I think the headbombs would be good to actually mention if they're using them.

Aside from the comics, the best version I've seen is Task Force X. Assault was great fun, but the set-up in the DCAU was better.
It's not the same thing though. This is one of those old comparisons that might first come to mind, but begin to fall apart with a little research, or knowing what makes both sides tick. We've already went through this a number of times since the Queen trailer dropped.

guek

Banned
That's the fucking point, guek. No one expected Deadpool to do anywhere near as well as it did, but it happened.

Suicide Squad grossing those same numbers would be nice, but nothing extraordinary like it was for Deadpool. A freakish breakout hit for Squad considering the players involved puts it near the billion mark.

SS breaking a billion or getting close to it would be much crazier than Deadpool doing as well as it did. You said SS should beat Deadpool unless critics maul it but that's an overestimation. Best to place your expectations a little lower with something like $770M being the upper end of what's possible for a new IP like this.

You cant just type "Anti-heroes/villains" like theyre the same thing lol

a916

Still hyped on that Geoff Johns story...

4333341-4356878968-00028.jpg

BadAss2961

SS breaking a billion or getting close to it would be much crazier than Deadpool doing as well as it did. You said SS should beat Deadpool unless critics maul it but that's an overestimation. Best to place your expectations a little lower with something like $770M being the upper end of what's possible for a new IP like this.
I don't think so. Deadpool wasn't just an overachiever, many expected it to flop outright. People would've laughed at the thought of that $770M figure.

Suicide Squad has much bigger names and potential attached to it. The trailers got about the same amount of buzz as BvS, if not more. If it launches with just decent reviews, I think it'll match Deadpool worldwide.

gamz

I don't think so. Deadpool wasn't just an overachiever, many expected it to flop outright. People would've laughed at the thought of that $770M figure.

Suicide Squad has much bigger names and potential attached to it. The trailers got about the same amount of buzz as BvS, if not more. If it launches with just decent reviews, I think it'll match Deadpool worldwide.

Plus, it's PG-13. Yeah, I have a feeling it'll be huge.

Bleepey

Plus, it's PG-13. Yeah, I have a feeling it'll be huge.

I looked at I am Legends and Hancock's gross revenue adjusted for inflation and it was like $700 mill. I see the film doing that with middling reviews. If it gets good reviews.... I can see it doing comfortably over a billion. The buzz it's gotten has been consistently better than BVS's, has probably got larger YT views and every other day I see a girl dressed like Harley on tinder. I can see the film doing well over a billion.

guek

Banned

I guess we'll see.

I looked at I am Legends and Hancock's gross revenue adjusted for inflation and it was like $700 mill. I see the film doing that with middling reviews. If it gets good reviews.... I can see it doing comfortably over a billion. The buzz it's gotten has been consistently better than BVS's, has probably got larger YT views and every other day I see a girl dressed like Harley on tinder. I can see the film doing well over a billion.
shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

I must be forever the pessimist because I can't see SS doing a billion at the box office. I think I'm with guek on $700 being the high end. Does Will Smith have that big a draw anymore?

a916

I must be forever the pessimist because I can't see SS doing a billion at the box office. I think I'm with guek on $700 being the high end. Does Will Smith have that big a draw anymore?

700M and WB is popping champagne bottles. Between 500-700 is pretty good for that movie I would say. Especially after seeing Fury, well made but not for everyone.

IconGrist

Reading these threads, sometimes I feel like folks enjoyment of movies is directly tied to box office returns and RT scores.

No but there is a need to fit in with the majority opinion to not feel like an outlier. Look what happens when you push an unpopular opinion. People will imply your brain is in defect. This is a more of an internet problem though. At least in my experience. Out and about people seem to be more open if you like pineapple on your pizza.

did you guys hear this song that will likely be on the suicide squad soundtrack/end credits?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QnS9UkX7fU

i don't care for skrillex but this could be hype for a fast and furious-like splash end credits sequence.

almost confirms they're going for a more balls-out fun vibe as opposed to BvS going with the grandiose mythological approach. more rap in my blockbuster movies plz. i hear young thug and 2pac are gonna be in this too lol.

Still hyped on that Geoff Johns story...

Trying to imagine what a Geoff John's movie universe would look like at this point:

-Batman would probably still be just as big of a jerk, Lex would have outsmarted him though.
-Batman wouldn't have killed.
-Hal would have been in JL: Part One, and most definitely would have been teased/cameoed in BvS.
-Black Adam or Shazam reference, maybe villain in part one.
-Superman would probably be more Donner like
-First JL movie would be Throne of Atlantis
-Wouldn't be out to to deconstruct super heroes, more likely be pop corn crowd pleaser movies.

IconGrist

Trying to imagine what a Geoff John's movie universe would look like at this point:

-Batman would probably still be just as big of a jerk, Lex would have outsmarted him though.
-Hal would have been in JL: Part One, and most definitely would have been teased/cameoed in BvS.
-Wouldn't be out to to deconstruct super heroes, more likely be pop corn crowd pleaser movies.

I was cool with all of that until the last thing. No thanks.

Batman did get outsmarted by Lex tho. Dude got pretty thoroughly played.

2, probably not. That seems to be a Live Action Batman thing rather than a Zack Snyder thing.

The others, yeah, probably.

It ain't pessimism, SS come out at the end of Summer, even if it get s good reviews, the start of the new school year will chop the legs from underneath it.

I think WB would be happy with 600M+ for SS and WW with good critical and fan reception. At this point, they need the fan and critical reception more than box office receipts. I think the high end for SS is 800M max. It'll probably settle in the 660M-740M range.

I was cool with all of that until the last thing. No thanks.

yeah not saying it's a good or bad thing, just that's probably what Johns would have done. I like Johns but he's one of the last writers I expect to break new ground in terms of storytelling. His strengths are stripping characters down to what makes people like them, and world building.

I do think his style of storytelling would have resonated more with audiences than Snyder's.

a916

I think WB would be happy with 600M+ for SS and WW with good critical and fan reception. At this point, they need the fan and critical reception more than box office receipts. I think the high end for SS is 800M max. It'll probably settle in the 660M-740M range.

Right now they need to build good will while getting good/respectable returns. Their focus should be on crafting great movies while gunning for some sort of mass appeal. Couple that with a marketing push that will always be there, they should start to see these things grow in BO return.

Draconian

Made the mistake of clicking the thread in the OT. Good grief.

Anyway, I can't fault them for making some adjustments. I hope they bear fruit.

Boke1879

700 Mil would be great for SS. I believe you're going to have tons of people interested simply because Joker and Harley. That along with the unfamiliarity of it all. I'm sure most people aren't too familiar with who Killer Croc is. So if it's actually a good, fun end of summer movie I can see it doing well.

Then you ride that wave to WW. The marketing for WW should be pretty damn good

You think Snyder is gonna leave DCEU in one piece? His Superman is depressed beyond help, his Batman is a murderer, half of the side characters are already dead. By the time he's done with Justice League, there will be no salvaging this wreck.

That's what I think. What I hope is that Johns and the other execs shove optimism and rainbows down Snyder's throat throughout the production of Justice League so we can at least get a decent film.

Jl was always going to be more optimistic though, Terrio said it already , also BvS ends on a higher note than it began, for both Batman and Superman's outlook on life.

Boke1879

You think Snyder is gonna leave DCEU in one piece? His Superman is depressed beyond help, his Batman is a murderer, half of the side characters are already dead. By the time he's done with Justice League, there will be no salvaging this wreck.

That's what I think. What I hope is that Johns and the other execs shove optimism and rainbows down Snyder's throat throughout the production of Justice League so we can at least get a decent film.

Well the growth of Batman and Superman at the end of the BvS almost assures what you're saying doesn't happen. Bruce finally comes to terms that there are good men out there. Superman finally comes to terms and realizes he has a place in this world and gives his life for it.

And people need to let go of Batman killing in this movie. He only outright kills someone to save a life. He's older and seen some shit. People gotta stop holding on to these character traits like they are some golden that can't be bent or even changed.

But JL will be more optimistic. Batman will be his brooding self but he's a better man after BvS

MisterHero

Upon rewatches there is probably at least one innocent death at the expense of the Batmobile scene... when one of the goon cars runs into an unsuspecting tanker. unless it was also a goon car.

RIP tanker driver

Jimmy Olsen
Robin

thats all I know
Professor Hamilton in Man of Steel

But hey, if Smallville can do it, then DCEU can also have 2 Prof Hamiltons and 2 Jimmy Olsens

I could retcon Jimmy as him having his Elastic Lad powers when he was shot. He'd bounce back just like that!

A Robin is dead and a character who was never going to be of any importance in the movies who also go a Jenny upgrade.

Jimmy couldl've bee use to give Superman some character. Like have Clark talk to someone who isn't Mom or Louis.

Edit: Mercy Graves just died for no reason as well.

shingi70

Banned
Jimmy Olsen
Mercy Graves
Professor Emil Hamilton

As you can see they're all Superman supporting characters Hamilton is a bit forgiven considering Silias Stone serves a similar role, however killing Mercy is unforgivable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom