• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

Jimmy Olsen
Mercy Graves
Professor Emil Hamilton

As you can see they're all Superman supporting characters Hamilton is a bit forgiven considering Silias Stone serves a similar role, however killing Mercy is unforgivable

Jenny Olsen replaces Jimmy... a CIA operative named Jimmy Olson isn't Jimmy Olson...

shingi70

Banned
I don't think anyone is saying you need death to have a character arc.

Batman, whether people like the killing or not, went through an arc in BvS.

true, I meant in regard to Superman, I felt Clark had a character arc in Man of Steel that's completely ignored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBt8fqYTxLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkvRm_Zokk

Man of Steel may be my favorite comic film and it's a movie that asks what would Superman be in real life. I love those two scenes at the end as they leave us on an optimistic note of both Superman and Clark Kent finally realizing who he is. He's someone who's here to help with a smile on his face.

Batman v Superman seems to foget those two ending scenes and focuses on such a pained almost uncaring Man of Steel. I wouldn't have any problem if Clark still showed emotion or happiness and we start to see the negativity wear on him.

Yeah just look at Cap and Tony in CW. Panther was the only one with an arc.

Cap doesn't have an Arc he's been the same since day 1, Tony is slowly going insane from PTSD give you that, but hey Superman tries to earn that symbol of hope instead of just being immediately accepted by humanity and everyone looses their minds. Batman and BP have the exact same character arc, "I was wrong all along", it's totes cool for BP, but Batman can never be wrong.

guek

Banned
Let people like what they like without misrepresenting them just to stroke your own egos, christ. Don't act bitter just because you happen to like the Snyderverse more than most of gaf, just enjoy the Snyder films.

Kibbles

Jared was on Ellen and talked a little Suicide Squad: http://ellentube.com/videos/0-8cl8k7h7/
tumblr_o7d1utSpNC1uwii26o1_540.gif

tumblr_o7d1utSpNC1uwii26o2_540.gif

Granted, a lot of his roles are rather depressing roles lol but I still think that's good to hear, a lot of the cast has been talking about how much fun they had filming this.

Also, new outfit... lol:
CiwrK0OXIAADEIq.jpg

CiwrrmDUoAAo9yA.jpg

Joker shiz
Ciw098hUkAAKlj5.jpg

Some creepy Enchantress stuff
Ciw-yZLUkAAuQee.jpg

Boomerangs
Ciw0JJEVEAACVWJ.jpg

Corpsepyre

Banned
I just can't help but think that it's going to be doom and gloom for DCEU going forward. Even with Suicide Squad coming out, people are going to bitch about it endlessly if it ends up making 700-750 million, or slightly more so even while not crossing the billion mark. They'll point fingers at the cast and laugh at how it didn't make enough, considering it has Will Smith in it of all people along with Jared Leto as Joker, who is one of the biggest names in comics. Not to mention, Batman!

If they try something darker, they'll be laughed at and maligned. If they make a comedy-heavy film, they'll be called copycats. Make anything less than a billion, it's considered a failure on all accounts. Not sure what DCEU would have to do to stay relevant in this shit market.

Ross61

I just can't help but think that it's going to be doom and gloom for DCEU going forward. Even with Suicide Squad coming out, people are going to bitch about it endlessly if it ends up making 700-750 million, or slightly more so even while not crossing the billion mark. They'll point fingers at the cast and laugh at how it didn't make enough, considering it has Will Smith in it of all people along with Jared Leto as Joker, who is one of the biggest names in comics. Not to mention, Batman!

If they try something darker, they'll be laughed at and maligned. If they make a comedy-heavy film, they'll be called copycats. Make anything less than a billion, it's considered a failure on all accounts. Not sure what DCEU would have to do to stay relevant in this shit market.

Fuck them dudes. At the end of the day, if the movies good it's good.

duckroll

LOL. That's some hardcore bitter saltiness.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Stay the course and play hardball with movie Budgets, no more half billion dollar budgets. People will show up to their movies, won't be Marvel numbers, but controlled budgets will ease that.

Yeah, I suppose controlling budgets is the way to go. They need smaller-scaled movies to go along with the event flicks.

hamchan

I don't think people will bitch if it makes 700-750 million. I would be pretty impressed with that number that's for sure. That's Deadpool and GotG levels of success and I bet it would have to match the quality of those films to reach that level too.

Let's be honest here. Both MoS and BvS didn't set the world on fire critically. People make fun of them because y'know, they probably don't like it. If SS is good, and right now it's looking like it could be pretty good, then people won't laugh at it.

Anyways hope for a "Time to eat crow regarding Suicide Squad" thread.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I don't think people will bitch if it makes 700-750 million. I would be pretty impressed with that number that's for sure. That's Deadpool and GotG levels of success and I bet it would have to match the quality of those films to reach that level too.

Let's be honest here. Both MoS and BvS didn't set the world on fire critically. People make fun of them because y'know, they probably don't like it. If SS is good, and right now it's looking like it could be pretty good, then people won't laugh at it.

Anyways hope for a "Time to eat crow regarding Suicide Squad" thread.

I was being pessimistic earlier, but I really do want the film to be good and make the desired buck. All of their films going forward, actually.

Here's hoping we see some Vertigo titles too in time.

KonradLaw

You know it's what would most likely happen. Ultimate pain is what's in store for them after BvS. :p

meh. In reality nobody gives a damn what some small group of trolls on internet think. If movies will make decent money with reasonable budgets they will be seen as success.

Especially considering how few Marvel movies pass billion anyway. All trolls do is set themselves up for dissapoitment. In a world they are trying to create both Age of Ultron and Civil War are dirty flops. This isn't the world anyone sane would like to settle in.

Cheebo

Banned

That would be considered pretty good for SS. Now if Justice League falls well behind Captain America like BvS then it will be justifiably criticized endlessly.

Movies with big name characters like Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman in the lead NEED to do a billion however. It is a major disappointment otherwise looking at how Iron Man, Cap, & Avengers are billion dollar films. And how Batman was doing a billion pre-DCEU. DCEU Bat films should not be making less than the Nolan films which happened with BvS.

Especially looking forward Guardians of the Galaxy 2 has a good chance at being a billion dollar earner. Spider-Man Homecoming with Iron Man in a lead might too. The more Marvel franchises start becoming billion dollar films if no DCEU film can get over that hump...that is not a good situation.

That would be considered pretty good for SS. Now if Justice League falls well behind Captain America like BvS then it will be justifiably criticized endlessly.

Movies with big name characters like Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman in the lead NEED to do a billion however. It is a major disappointment otherwise looking at how Iron Man, Cap, & Avengers are billion dollar films. And how Batman was doing a billion pre-DCEU. DCEU Bat films should not be making less than the Nolan films which happened with BvS.

Especially looking forward Guardians of the Galaxy 2 has a good chance at being a billion dollar earner. Spider-Man Homecoming with Iron Man in a lead might too. The more Marvel franchises start becoming billion dollar films if no DCEU film can get over that hump...that is not a good situation.
DC films don't need to make over a billion. They just need to be profitable. If they are turning a profit and are a positive endeavor for WB they'll continue to make more. The longer they produce these films the greater the possibility of them making more money in the future of the movies themselves, along with the comics, merchandise, etc.

Do you really believe that WB it's going to replace them in their slate just cause they don't make a billion? What's exactly your point, what would make this a bad situation except the sports team mentality and tribalism diatribes on the internet about them "losing"?

Cheebo

Banned
DC films don't need to make over a billion. They just need to be profitable. If they are turning a profit and are a positive endeavor for WB they'll continue to make more. The longer they produce these films the greater the possibility of them making more money in the future of the movies themselves, along with the comics, merchandise, etc.

Do you really believe that WB it's going to replace them in their slate just cause they don't make a billion? What's exactly your point, what would make this a bad situation except the sports team mentality and tribalism diatribes on the internet about them "losing"?
But films with the budget and marketing push like BcS need to do nearly billion to make a profit (BvS magic number was 900 mil or so). The amount BvS did was not profitable for WB.

I highly doubt WBs goal is to just be slightly profitable and never again reach what TDK and TDKR did.

But films with the budget and marketing push like BcS need to do nearly billion to make a profit (BvS magic number was 900 mil or so). The amount BvS did was not profitable for WB.

I highly doubt WBs goal is to just be slightly profitable and never again reach what TDK and TDKR did.
Not really. You have no idea how much they actually pay for marketing, product placement, movie toys, digital release, Blu ray, how many VFX houses are partially owned by WB, how much are they charging themselves to reduce residuals. None of that it's fixed. Have you heard them say it wasn't profitable? Did you see them take an impairment charge on their quarterly report? They didn't. I disagree with both your superficial assessment and conclusion.

Effect

Character Arcs and development aren't what people want.

That's becoming more and more clear for some people. I've seen nothing to convince me that isn't the case with Superman. Some might try to say otherwise but ultimately their arguments come down to them wanting him fully formed from the jump. They wanted him to once again walk into that fortress and come out knowing everything and anything to do the job. All the development off screen. Him as an idea and symbol and not as an actual character and person.

BadAss2961

Cara on Enchantress audition
“I love that play and had acted in it at school when I was 17, so I was excited. Somehow, when we were doing the scene, I became livid. I hadn’t felt rage like that in years. And then I got the part! There still wasn’t a script, but David asked me to go and try and find a forest and, if it was a full moon, get naked and walk through the woods with my feet in the mud, which I did. There wasn’t a full moon, but I howled like a wolf. It would have been really funny if someone had seen me.”

hxHS6M3.jpg

guek

Banned
That's becoming more and more clear for some people. I've seen nothing to convince me that isn't the case with Superman. Some might try to say otherwise but ultimately their arguments come down to them wanting him fully formed from the jump. They wanted him to once again walk into that fortress and come out knowing everything and anything to do the job. All the development off screen. Him as an idea and symbol and not as an actual character and person.
What people want are good character arcs and believable development. While you may believe Snyder has been giving us those things, most people largely disagree.

guek

Banned
What's a good character arc for you? Can you provide an example?
Well just last year -

Riley in Inside Out
Eva in Ex Machina
Adonis in Creed

This isn't something I should have to defend though. Like I said, you might enjoy Snyder's character arcs and that's fine. It's evident most or at least a very substantial segment of the audience does not.

Well just last year -

Riley in Inside Out
Eva in Ex Machina
Adonis in Creed

This isn't something I should have to defend though. Like I said, you might enjoy Snyder's character arcs and that's fine. It's evident most or at least a very substantial segment of the audience does not.
Those are great examples of character arcs, however if we use them as a measure of success with which you contrast BvS none of them are actually good or what people wanted as they all made less money.

I mean, right now all that matters is Box Office returns, that's the true measure of success in the current discussion.

Personally, I don't think the majority of the audience even knows what a character arc is. They also lack knowledge of what quality filmmaking even is. The majority of the audiences looks at these movies as surface level entertainment and Snyder doesn't, that's why there's a disconnect with a significant portion of the audience. Snyder needs to find a balance between surface level entertainment that's sufficient for audiences and whatever artistic pretension he wants to capture on film.

They need to find their own formula, fine tune it, but it has to be unique, DC can't be Marvel Too, it must be their own thing. BvS was too unbalanced for general audiences and critics about what the director wanted to say and not in regards to what audiences wanted to see or expected. That's the true crux of the issue.

BadAss2961

Harley's gun looks sweet.

Interesting that Robin's display is there among all this Squad stuff. I hope the movie goes there.

Oh, it's an exhibit of everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom