• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is my theory on why Superman's arc thus far has been, at the very best, divisive. It's one arc over 3 movies. I'd love to hear another example of this but I can't think of one off the top of my head. There have been multiple movie character arcs to be sure but they usually include a single movie arc as well per movie. I figure this is more appealing in that immediate satisfaction kind a way. Snyder and Terrio seem to have cut that part out. Each movie had a theme for Superman so far but while MoS started an arc it never finished, and it still wasn't finished in BvS. To anyone paying even a little attention this makes it seem as if his character is going nowhere. If I'm right this will pay off in JL. If I'm wrong, well, no one will give a shit anyway lol.

what I like about this Superman arc is that he doesn't have all the answers, he isn't like Donner Superman were he just stood there for seven minutes while Marlon Brando taught all about the universe and then Ta-Da! instant Superman! the world is a complicated, big place and even with the best of intentions you will have opposition, you will have enemies, doubt will creep up. this Superman isn't perfect but he is trying and I think he will get there in the end.

MisterHero

Clark standing with some X-Men

https://scontent.fmty1-1.fna.fbcdn....=714693d1c268d4fc3536707335519d3c&oe=57A5C6A3

what I like about this Superman arc is that he doesn't have all the answers, he isn't like Donner Superman were he just stood there for seven minutes while Marlon Brando taught all about the universe and then Ta-Da! instant Superman! the world is a complicated, big place and even with the best of intentions you will have opposition, you will have enemies, doubt will creep up. this Superman isn't perfect but he is trying and I think he will get there in the end.
I would've liked to see Donner Superman try to deal with the world that Batman's lived in his whole life. I think his reaction would mirror what Snyderman has been going through.

Rapists, murderers, human traffickers, mental disorders, etc. Even as exaggerated as Eisenberg's acting was, Lex Luthor is a rational evil and one that Supes can understand.

edit: concept art
http://www.moviestillsdb.com/movies/batman-vs-superman-i2975590

To me, the 'crisis' ark Superman has ended. I think we will see a new Superman in Justice League, or I could be wrong and they're gonna give us Injustice: Gods Among Us, which I wouldn't like.

To me, the 'crisis' ark Superman has ended. I think we will see a new Superman in Justice League, or I could be wrong and they're gonna give us Injustice: Gods Among Us, which I wouldn't like.

Like i said a couple Pages ago, i want Dafoe to be Spectre, and he takes Clark on a "It's a Wonderful Life" Trip. He offers Clark the ability to stay dead, humanity will suffer but will rise from the ashes and will eventually "reach the sun" as Jor-El put it. Or he can go back prevent the age Darkness so humanity reaches it's potential faster but Clark will outlive all of his friends and Family and he will literally be the Last Light in the Universe.

S.H. Figuarts Suicide Squad Harley Quinn and Joker figures:
PHTETQ0.jpg
dlBeSvt.jpg

Bleepey

https://twitter.com/ThatKidFlowers/status/733678924538908672

Astro K ♓️ ‏@ThatKidFlowers 2h2 hours ago
@ThatKidFlowers Harley Quinn was lit��

Astro K ♓️ ‏@ThatKidFlowers 2h2 hours ago
@ThatKidFlowers My mans Will Smith did his thing ���� Y'all gone fuck with it when it come out #SuicideSquad

Follow

Amara
‏@Inthebayy
#SuicideSquad was the best movie I've seen. Just insane. I was skeptical of Cara Delevingne acting but she was pretty good..

Ci53B3yWEAI4W-8.jpg

HOW the fuck do you get in those screenings ?

And WHY the FUCK is it STILL TWO WEEKS LATER IN GERMANY ?

I guess some theaters, most likely in large cities, just have sign-ups for test screenings and stuff. It's just random chance you'll get to see something you actually care about. At least that's how I've had it explained to me.

Busty

Banned
Do we expect the full plot rising soon or are people quite after those screenings?

And no, I don't believe in the hype, never will again.

Sensible. First off people are excited about seeing such a big film so early, which is entirely understandable, and get caught up in the 'exclusiveness' of it all.

Secondly, superhero films are routinely wildly overrated and underrated. I'm not sure that there has been a superhero film recently that has been given a fair shake critically speaking.

Actually no, that's not true, X-Men Apocalypse is terrible (saw it yesterday) and everyone seems to be calling it out as such. Though to be fair no one was really excited for that in the first place, where they?

But most other test screenings of these kinds of films need to be taken with a grain of salt the size of your head.

I want things to be good, I just don't expect them to be good. Helps to avoid crushing disappointments. I still get excited for stuff, but I try to keep it in check.

a916

I'll buy into the hype when Faraci starts hyping this movie LOL and not that fake one he did before BVS and how he was excited.

I'll leave that to someone who doesn't care about spoilers, which are out there now.

Impressions are positive.

Just like BvS... I'll keep my expectations in check.

I can't help but feel a bit hyped about the BvS UC. I have a good feeling.

We shouldn't, but I am too...

guek

Banned
I'm optimistic because of Ayer. I don't know if SS will be a critical hit or even a commercial one based on Ayer's prior work but he makes fairly unique movies.

Plus it's the first non-Snyder DCEU movie!

Penguin

HOW the fuck do you get in those screenings ?

And WHY the FUCK is it STILL TWO WEEKS LATER IN GERMANY ?

I was thinking of doing a podcast on this soon. I've never really done "test" screenings, maybe once or twice, but if you live in a decent enough city, can go to a ton of advanced screenings.

I mean this year alone I've done 13 hours, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Deadpool, BvS, Central Intelligence... fingers crossed I have passes to see Ninja Turtles on Sunday.

I've had chances to see some others, but if so-so interest and no one wants to go usually skip.

I'm optimistic because of Ayer. I don't know if SS will be a critical hit or even a commercial one based on Ayer's prior work but he makes fairly unique movies.

This, I feel, is why SS is extra important. At the moment, the sum total of people's experiences with the DCEU is Snyder. If you don't like/can't stand/had your dog killed by Snyder, you're not going to be at all receptive to the DCEU. If Ayer really does do something noticeably different (and/or better), then suddenly this whole "creator driven film universe" thing starts to have some merit. People's calibrations are set by Marvel at the moment; the expectation is that every DC movie is going to be roughly the same as every other DC movie. If that proves false, well, then we've got something.

It's sad that this is the main reason that I want to see this movie. I've never been a fan of Zack's vision, even if I liked MoS

SJRB

Gold Member
0SxkLtT.gif

Man, I can't get enough of TDKR part 1. It's just so freaking good. The animations, the artstyle, voice acting, the music. Everything is just incredible.

Watched it over 10 times by now. The sequence where Batman returns is just amazing. The buildup is expertly done, and the pounding 80's style synthwave in de background is just icing on the cake.

bIiQbOk.gif

ZeyxXeo.gif

Holy shit dude.

/random post

guek

Banned
This, I feel, is why SS is extra important. At the moment, the sum total of people's experiences with the DCEU is Snyder. If you don't like/can't stand/had your dog killed by Snyder, you're not going to be at all receptive to the DCEU. If Ayer really does do something noticeably different (and/or better), then suddenly this whole "creator driven film universe" thing starts to have some merit. People's calibrations are set by Marvel at the moment; the expectation is that every DC movie is going to be roughly the same as every other DC movie. If that proves false, well, then we've got something.

To some degree, I think you're right. But if Suicide Squad flops, I think it'll poison online talk more than any potential DCEU well. The IP isn't very well known and if doesn't manage to grab people's attention, no one will notice. For that reason, I think WW is more important for changing expectations.

To some degree, I think you're right. But if Suicide Squad flops, I think it'll poison online talk more than any potential DCEU well. The IP isn't very well known and if doesn't manage to grab people's attention, no one will notice. For that reason, I think WW is more important for changing expectations.

I don't follow. If SS flopping will poison online talk, how is it not important for changing expectations? Not flopping will, correspondingly, not poison online talk, and set up a different set of expectations.

guek

Banned
I don't follow. If SS flopping will poison online talk, how is it not important for changing expectations? Not flopping will, correspondingly, not poison online talk, and set up a different set of expectations.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. SS could definitely change the perception around the DCEU if it's a hit but I'm saying its failure wouldn't be nearly as devastating as WW missing the mark.

Kill Bill 1 + 2 are still the only female superhero movies that are good, everything else is fucking trash, even Underworld. Wonder Woman will have a tough time, because PG13.

Phuckkkkkkk, Jeff Goldblum just joined Thor, I'm gonna cry if DC lets PAPASITO, Ryan Gosling slip away.

He should be a funny/cocky hal jordan if he plays anybody in this universe

But I don't think anybody with clout wants to touch that poison role again unless an interesting writer or director pulls them in

He should be a funny/cocky hal jordan if he plays anybody in this universe

But I don't think anybody with clout wants to touch that poison role again unless an interesting writer or director pulls them in

Isn't Gosling against doing franchises or something? If Marvel or DC are going to snag him, it's going to be for one film.

Firemind

Exactly. David Ayer is a fantastic director. He gets dark humour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom