• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

IconGrist

I think the point to be made is that DC's movies will not be like Marvel's. If that just outright bothers you it's likely not going to change.

Firemind

Some people really have a bone to pick with Snyder. :lol

Not just here on gaf. I didn't know Sucker Punch was a blockbuster hit.

Ninjimbo

What if I found Man of Steel to be filled with potential only to be squandered by Snyder's lack of experience in grounding himself in this self-serious tone, and filled with poor editing that made the narrative flow a mess?
Then you'll hate it. Snyder isn't going to change. He's too old for that. BvS also looks more like a Snyder film than MoS ever did.

Snyder is, to the best of my knowledge, a collaborator. He's a visuals-first director, he's very hands on about that (and he's really quite good at it), but with everything else he first and foremost works with the rest of the team. I suspect that Affleck's influence on set is going to make itself felt.

Plus, you know, new writer. Makes a lot of MoS's issue vanish (or at least change into new, different issues, depending on script quality) just like that.

So... maybe you'll like it?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Marvel's best film is gritty and pretty damn serious with a few jokes here and there so the tone is not the problem FatherBrain, it's how they handle the story and the pacing which were MoS real flaws.

ryan299

Tracking Numbers

Warner Bros.’ DC title Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice officially registered on tracking reports this morning, four weeks before its March 25 debut, and industry/non-Warner Bros. estimates have the ultimate feud film between the Dark Knight and the Son of Jor-El opening worldwide between $300M-$340M in over 30K screens.

In the U.S./Canada, the Zack Snyder-directed title is expected to pull in an estimated $120M-$140M at 4,000-plus locations in 3D, 4DX, PLF and Imax (this is updated from our report last week).

Total awareness, definite interest and first choice is huge among males under and over 25. “Youngest females are their weakest quad, but they’re still damn good,” beamed one rival distribution exec this morning.

That 120-140 number isn't good.

jackdoe

There was never any chance of it being literally true, that's correct. Even Man of Steel made at least a few stabs at levity.

MoS was, however, maybe three to five jokes or so from being literally humorless, and that's what I'm actually worried about.

And no, trailers with jokes don't prove much; it's not that hard to edit a trailer together that's much lighter in tone than the film as a whole. Marvel has done the reverse plenty of times.
I'm personally fine with a humorless superhero movie. Daredevil is a humorless superhero TV show, and I think it's one of its strengths. Batman v Superman isn't going to be anywhere near that dark though. I don't think we'll see someone's head get smashed in.

ryan299

BvS advance tickets went on sale Monday. How are they? Insiders tell Deadline that the dark knight risesfirst day sales of BvS outstripped that of The Dark Knight Rises. That 2012 threequel went on drum up $25M in advance ticket sales before its three-day opening of $160.9M.

One rival studio B.O. analyst upon hearing the pre-sales intel on BvS indicated that if the film is truly pacing in tandem with Dark Knight Rises, then the Batman-Superman combo could possibly be looking at a $180M-plus stateside debut.

How’s that? Turns out that was the original industry opening projection for Dark Knight Rises before the Aurora, CO. midnight theater shooting struck and slowed down business for the Christopher Nolan film during its first FSS. Put an asterisk on that forecast. Dark Knight Rises had the benefit of summer weekday audiences, BvS is hoping to milk as many spring breakers as possible. However, when it comes to record openings at the box office, does it even matter anymore what season you play?

Rev4Media, a New Bedford, Mass. movie analytics company that measures audiences’ real-time responses to in-theater trailers, reported that 78% of those who watched the final BvS trailer (Feb. 11 version) last weekend would definitely buy a ticket to the movie. That’s not too far from the 83% who reported to Rev4Media that they would buy a ticket to Deadpool after they watched that pic’s trailers in theaters.

IconGrist

Lol It's funny to see the extreme highs and lows that come with every bit of news. Deadpool was tracking in the double digits initially. These numbers are only tracked up to this point. Tickets just went on sale 3 days ago and not everybody buys their tickets a month in advance except us nerds.

There was never any chance of it being literally true, that's correct. Even Man of Steel made at least a few stabs at levity.

MoS was, however, maybe three to five jokes or so from being literally humorless, and that's what I'm actually worried about.

And no, trailers with jokes don't prove much; it's not that hard to edit a trailer together that's much lighter in tone than the film as a whole. Marvel has done the reverse plenty of times.

the very nature of lex luthor's public persona looks like a joke. plus it seems pretty apparent there's gonna be the usual sarcastic banter between alfred and bruce. it will likely be pretty self-serious, which i'm fine with, but i don't doubt there will be more humor interspersed throughout it than in man of steel.

i don't care for snyder but some of the internet rumors for this film have become so absurd.

IconGrist

I haven't seen it myself but over on SHH it looks like the guy from EW is saying that: (spoilers for Jena Malone and Scoot McNairy)
are NOT playing Barbara Gordon and Jimmy Olsen.

guek

Banned
the very nature of lex luthor's public persona looks like a joke. plus it seems pretty apparent there's gonna be the usual sarcastic banter between alfred and bruce.

i don't care for snyder but some of the internet rumors for this film have become so absurd.

The no jokes thing should just be forgotten forever. It's one of those garbage rumors that can never be factually confirmed or denied. Maybe there was an internal memo, maybe there wasn't, but who the hell cares. That original rumor was so long ago, it doesn't hold anymore weight. Things change.

Low balling the fuck out of that. That $180m plus is much more realistic. These tracking numbers always start out low and the studios typically underestimate so that when it destroys the projections they look amazing.

But the reverse is also true - rival studios pump up opening weekend numbers so anything under that looks poor.

Why would you find #4 worrisome?
why is #4 worrisome?
"Fearsome" as a one-word descriptor has broad and vague connotations which, when coupled with leaks and footage released thus far, and concerns about her general depiction in mainstream media, creates the worry that Wonder Woman's first cinematic appearance will boil down to "Faora Mk. 2," aka the pretty face and pair of fists (this time, clutching sword and shield) contributing acts of mindless violence, as the crowd-pleasing one-dimensional token female badass.

"Fearsome" is worrisome.

they should really just play up jenny olsen in this series then. having a genuine platonic friendship with clark kent would do wonders for both characters tbh.

guek

Banned

Hmm. I don't know what to make of that. On one hand, DKR had a lot more goodwill going into it as a followup to TDK, so I could see BvS falling off the curve the closer we get to the opening after the diehard fans buy their tickets. On the other hand, BvS has a novelty factor we haven't seen in superhero movies since The Avengers and that could sustain momentum.

As the cowards from the neutral planet would put it, my gut says maybe.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
"Fearsome" as a one-word descriptor has broad and vague connotations which, when coupled with leaks and footage released thus far, and concerns about her general depiction in mainstream media, creates the worry that Wonder Woman's first cinematic appearance will boil down to "Faora Mk. 2," aka the pretty face and pair of fists (this time, clutching sword and shield) contributing acts of mindless violence, as the crowd-pleasing one-dimensional token female badass.

"Fearsome" is worrisome.

Sorry but to me that's not worrisome. I want Wonder Woman to look badass, and cool, as for development she'll have a solo movie for that.

IconGrist

People seem to expect way more out of this movie than any superhero movie has ever been able to live up to. At the end of the day it's still a movie about an alien being who can shoot fire from his eyes fighting a guy who spends his nights impersonating a flying rodent.

Maybe lower the bar a little, lol.

That's not to say it can't be good but don't go looking for Shakespeare is all.

CcozLnrW8AERhEs.jpg:large

The no jokes thing should just be forgotten forever. It's one of those garbage rumors that can never be factually confirmed or denied. Maybe there was an internal memo, maybe there wasn't, but who the hell cares. That original rumor was so long ago, it doesn't hold anymore weight. Things change.

I'd argue it holds weight if we're humoring it in 2016. The day it was reported those involved with WB-DC projects debunked it. As time went on we've had stories countering the rumor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom