• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
CcozLnrW8AERhEs.jpg:large

5036b937-1644-49da-bc34-2b7fcdbab12d.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
how come no one has asked the dude about the flash's vision thing that's on the cover?

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I remember how people were like: why did he show up in his Superman costume? Just wear a suit...

No winning with those people. Everything has to be questioned and is just bad.

ryan299

Jurassic World's tracking was 100-125 million, opened at 209 lol. Als read that Hunger Games tracking had it at 67 million then it made 152 for the March record.

I think the good news is that BvS is already sold more than TDKR and that was tracking for a 185 million opening before the shooting, and ended up with 160. I'm sticking with my 175-200 million opening weekend.

WB should add more Thursday showings, as a lot of people have off Friday for Good Friday.

guek

Banned
Jurassic World's tracking was 100-125 million, opened at 209 lol. I think the good news is that BvS is already sold more than TDKR and that was tracking for a 185 million opening before the shooting, and ended up with 160. I'm sticking with my 175-200 million opening weekend.

WB should add more Thursday showings, as a lot of people have off Friday for Good Friday.
The holiday weekend gives BvS a better chance at blowing past estimates if WoM is strong.

Verendus

Banned
I'm wondering... Is that the actual height of Robin? haha
Joker obviously took away his legs so that he couldn't run away. Run, run as fast as you can! You can't catch me. I'm the limbless man.

I really want to see Jared Leto's Joker. That Heath was just too big and too strong, and whether those odds can be overcome remain to be seen. Leto actually got second billing after William Smith, which means he's not just a cameo in that Suicide Squad movie. That changes everything. We're getting it all. Not just a glimpse, but his life.

It's Will Smith and Joker. I don't know if the world is ready for this.

Error

Cavill on Superman
In this shot, Superman is called to answer before a committee chaired by Holly Hunter's Sen. Finch. In Dawn of Justice, the hero's Achilles' heel is not just Kryptonite — it's the idea that he can save anyone, but he can't save everyone. “I think the most difficult thing for him is that he has just come to terms with the fact that he is really, really quite powerful,” says Henry Cavill, who reprises his role from Man of Steel. “Despite this, despite the enormous power that he has, he still cannot do everything, and he really struggles with that.” The rest of the world does, too.

On the Robin suit
Dawn of Justice reboots the Batman story, but it's not starting from the beginning. If anything, this is closer to the end. Ben Affleck's Bruce Wayne has been fighting for decades, and he has paid a stiff price. This image of a Joker-graffitied Robin uniform suggests others have paid even higher costs. "You can extrapolate that if Batman kept his suit like that, it's a reminder," says Geoff Johns, chief creative officer for DC Entertainment and an executive producer of BvS. "He’s displayed the suit of a fallen ally, fallen friend in the center of the Batcave. It’s right there for a reason, and part of it is to fuel him to continue to do what he does."

Joker obviously took away his legs so that he couldn't run away. Run, run as fast as you can! You can't catch me. I'm the limbless man.

I really want to see Jared Leto's Joker. That Heath was just too big and too strong, and whether those odds can be overcome remain to be seen. Leto actually got second billing after William Smith, which means he's not just a cameo in that Suicide Squad movie. That changes everything. We're getting it all. Not just a glimpse, but his life.

Actually, it's Willard Smith.

a916

I remember how people were like: why did he show up in his Superman costume? Just wear a suit...

No winning with those people. Everything has to be questioned and is just bad.

Because it's SUPERMAN ON TRIAL, they have no idea who Clark is or should... like how dumb does the discussion have to get? Like really?

Jurassic World's tracking was 100-125 million, opened at 209 lol. I think the good news is that BvS is already sold more than TDKR and that was tracking for a 185 million opening before the shooting, and ended up with 160. I'm sticking with my 175-200 million opening weekend.

I think that muddles the picture... I'm standing by 175-187M. Even if it falls below that but above 155M, this is a good success.

Looking towards domestic numbers, it appears that BvS could bring in an estimated $120M-$140M

That's the official tracking numbers including pre-sale tickets?

Error

so it seems the reports of Affleck doing rewrites were bullshit.

“Zack is an incredibly visual director. One thing that sometimes doesn’t make sense will when it is turned on the monitor, it’s sublime. It inspired me every day. And Chris is a pragmatic type who writes scripts for political thrillers. Their meeting was fruitful, they managed to create the perfect hybrid. This script is great, there was not a line to change in the dialogues. And I can tell you this is rare.”

from Cine Premiere (french movie mag)

Bleepey

Deadshot will have a huge pivotal role. Will turned down Independence Day due to there being an important part in Suicide Squad. Sauce:

https://youtu.be/uy6ay6FmUIo?t=69

Verendus

Banned
That's the official tracking numbers including pre-sale tickets?
I'll try to explain tracking to you. I think there's probably a strong misunderstanding about how it works, but I'm not really surprised. Folks tend to engage in pissing contests, and this is an extension of that for them.

Tracking is used as a marketing tool. The purpose behind tracking isn't just to understand what a movie is looking to open with, but to also understand where you need to focus the final few weeks of your marketing. First you have your market research that breaks down the age and genders of the population that is potentially interested in your movie. This is essentially survey based projection of awareness. It's broken down into different categories that judges whether a person is aware of the movie, whether they're interested in seeing it, and also what they'd choose from a list of movies releasing at the same time to watch. These statistics are broken down into four categories (male over 25, female over 25, and male under 25, female under 25). For example, let's say initial research showed female under 25 is a little weak, you'd try and increase your marketing towards that demographic.

Separate to this you have online ticket sales, and also data from major theater chains, as well as other metrics. This information isn't available outside of studios. Some of this information is paid for. These are your raw numbers that allow you to number crunch, then contrast and compare with various other movies to get a better gauge on performance. It's important to keep in mind that this is domestic. International is not accurate, and the amount of variables involved mean you can pretty much ignore any international projections you might see online. I would personally tell you to ignore domestic projections too since predicting box office numbers towards the upper end is next to impossible due to the way the metrics work. The idea of tracking isn't to determine what a movie may open to, since that will never be consistently accurate. Not to mention, folks will be missing the raw numbers needed to do the right analysis in conjunction with the other metrics. This effectively means you have people just throwing out random numbers.

I'm not sure where that $120-$140 million number is from, but if that's the early estimate from the survey based data, that's a very strong sign for Warner Bros. What's more important, and which I imagine isn't available, is the market research on the demographic targets for the movie as well as the initial ticketing data. Warner will fine tune their marketing the next three weeks to bring up the lacking demo.

Edit:

Deadshot will have a huge pivotal role. Will turned down Independence Day due to there being an important part in Suicide Squad. Sauce:

https://youtu.be/uy6ay6FmUIo?t=69
He broke my heart by turning down Independence Day.

I'm not sure where that $120-$140 million number is from, but if that's the early estimate from the survey based data, that's a very strong sign for Warner Bros. What's more important, and which I imagine isn't available, is the market research on the demographic targets for the movie as well as the initial ticketing data. Warner will fine tune their marketing the next three weeks to bring up the lacking demo.

If you haven't seen it, the 120-140 number comes from this new Deadline article.

In the U.S./Canada, the Zack Snyder-directed title is expected to pull in an estimated $120M-$140M at 4,000-plus locations in 3D, 4DX, PLF and Imax (this is updated from our report last week). There’s even a few 70MM prints of BvS (and no, Warner Bros. isn’t using any of the projectors left over from The Hateful Eight). Should those figures stand up, BvS would rank as the second-highest March opening after 2012’s The Hunger Games ($152.5M). Total awareness, definite interest and first choice is huge among males under and over 25. “Youngest females are their weakest quad, but they’re still damn good,” beamed one rival distribution exec this morning.

Penguin

We know what Superman does in his spare time

What was your opinion about the reactions to the first film and what did you use from them for this film?

Henry Cavill: The reaction from the fans was incredible, I love going on message boards and reading what they have to say, in reality I enjoy it. There are people who are very upset and say terrible things, it's hilarious. There are others who support it and genuinely are interested, you see the war between the trolls and those who really want to do something. I love reading it, its entertaining to me.

Know who will be in the sequel now...
3517291-9274671485-30met.jpg

Verendus

Banned
If you haven't seen it, the 120-140 number comes from this new Deadline article.
So it looks like out of the four categories, the female under 25 is the weaker one. That's to be expected. It says in that article that they have insiders telling them that the movie is currently keeping pace with The Dark Knight Rises. There are still three weeks until release however, so it'd be interesting to know when The Dark Knight Rises really stepped up in its ticket sales. I'd imagine it would have to be in the final week leading to release. That won't be any dissimilar from BvS either. Regardless, this would put BvS down for a pretty huge opening in today's climate. What you'll probably find is that as you get closer to release, this tracking number will creep upwards.

Balee in the Buttman.

ryan299

So it looks like out of the four categories, the female under 25 is the weaker one. That's to be expected. It says in that article that they have insiders telling them that the movie is currently keeping pace with The Dark Knight Rises. There are still three weeks until release however, so it'd be interesting to know when The Dark Knight Rises really stepped up in its ticket sales. I'd imagine it would have to be in the final week leading to release. That won't be any dissimilar from BvS either. Regardless, this would put BvS down for a pretty huge opening in today's climate. What you'll probably find is that as you get closer to release, this tracking number will creep upwards.

Balee in the Buttman.

Great post up above man. I think they're going to start pushing WW more to get girls under 25 into the film. While that's their weakest market, it seems like it's still very strong.

Mayimbe is doing a periscope at 3est to discuss the tracking numbers

Penguin

Balee in the Buttman.

So we should expect a spot that either focuses on Lois/Clark romance or more Bruce/Dianne interactions

Verendus

Banned
So we should expect a spot that either focuses on Lois/Clark romance or more Bruce/Dianne interactions
If they focus much more on Wonder Woman in TV spots, you'll basically give away all of her scenes. I'm sure if you showed her against Doomsday, it'd be pretty grabbing, but it'd also ruin your highlight sequence. There are other ways to bring Wonder Woman forward in the promotion, but they also need to focus on other avenues to promote the movie.

It's not just about TV spots. You're talking general marketing now. Warner Bros. knows what they're doing though. They tend to be really good at this sort of thing. Don't let some vocal voices on an internet forum convince you that they don't.

Soooo._.
The post-apocalyptic scene is most likely Flash's future?
If so, that would be pretty rad!

Ohhh, so maybe...

I mean, some fan theories were that
Green Lantern would come in at some point and warn the League about Darkseid.
but maybe
The Flash travels back in time from where Darkseid took over to warn Batman, Supes and Wondy and the Flash we get in the movies will be future Flash.
. Ohhh, that would be neat.

ryan299

First choice for BvS is 23%, MoS was 11%, Jurassic World was 16% Mayimbe says.

First Choice: 31% Males under 25. 28% males over 25. 15% for females over 25. 16% for females under 25.

Total Awareness: 88%. 89% males under 25, 93% males over 25, 87% females under 25 and 84% for females over 25.

Definite interest: 62%. 70% males under 25 and over, 54% females under 25, 52% females over 25.

The MoS and JW numbers are the first tracking numbers from 3 weeks out.

Doesn't that one not mention the Knightmare sequence at all (I don't want to read it)

Nope. It doesn't account for the warehouse scene either that was in the newest trailer. So yeah, it's bunk according to that EW writer, complete fanfiction. Right now the only two people I believe in is him and Verendus. I'm still tempering my hype, but I think I'll find the film at least enjoyable.

I see people are doubling down on their negative opinions now that some positive feedback is coming out. I refuse to believe people are dense enough to think the film would be anything different Man of Steel's tone and they're in utter shock that the film continuing along that line. This movie is made for the fans and it shouldn't have been a surprise after all the trailers and teasers. The only trailer that was conflicted in tone was the second one, and that's because it was obviously edited to have a joke focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom