• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

I argue Suicide Squad was worse than Fan4stic, a movie that made me actually want to die

If it ACTUALLY made you want to die then you might want to see a shrink or something lol.

Are you seriously saying that Kate Beckinsale is "exotic" in her beauty? LMAO.

kate-beckinsale.jpg

Such Selina. Much exotic. Wow.

God she's fucking gorgeous. Please put her in everything.

LionPride

Banned
I don't think that's healthy man

Worse than Fan4stic lol..you crazy, brother.

It's suicide..

Fant4stic is terrible, but it's short and too the point in terms of its terribleness. Suicide Squad is just abysmal and feels so long. Like it will not end at all, it takes so long to get to a point where the main point will actually start. I really hate that movie. There are no redeeming qualities. At least Fant4stic has Michael B. Jordan being decent in it despite everything else being awful. That's another movie I wish came out like the director intended.

Ninjimbo

Y'all gonna have a meltdown once those WW reviews come in.
I said 40% and I'm sticking to it. I feel like the serious parts of the story haven't been revealed yet and that's going to turn off some people because it's going to bungle them or some shit.

I don't care. Still watching it. I'm not going to read the GAF thread on it either.

Fant4stic is terrible, but it's short and too the point in terms of its terribleness. Suicide Squad is just abysmal and feels so long. Like it will not end at all, it takes so long to get to a point where the main point will actually start. I really hate that movie. There are no redeeming qualities. At least Fant4stic has Michael B. Jordan being decent in it despite everything else being awful. That's another movie I wish came out like the director intended.

We just gonna have to disagree on this, homie..lol.

Y'all gonna have a meltdown once those WW reviews come in.

Folks should stop caring..it ain't that serious.

I'm expecting 20%.

12%, calling it.

lol..You're all crazy! Trailers alone keep it away from Fan4stic's score.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
We just gonna have to disagree on this, homie..lol.

lol..You're all crazy! Trailers alone keep it away from Fan4stic's score.

Tbf none of us (in here) actually care, it's just fun to speculate seeing as Snyder don't care and won't give us anything new to talk about Cold hearted bastard.

Thanks, Snyder to become the new Thanks, Obama? Plz let it happen.

Tbf none of us (in here) actually care, it's just fun to speculate seeing as Snyder don't care and won't give us anything new to talk about Cold hearted bastard.

Thanks, Snyder to become the new Thanks, Obama? Plz let it happen.

Hard to tell sometimes lol. Glad you don't, though..shit seems unhealthy!

At some point, it does become serious. If this movie meets the same critical reception as the others, Warner Bros has to seriously start considering if they're hurting the brand more than they're helping it. Sure they might be somehow managing to break even or making a bit a money from the films, but are they doing more harm than good?

The stink from Green Lantern's corpse still has Warner Bros shook almost 6 years later. The stink from the Schumacher Batman films scared them away from Batman for 8 years. You could say the mild stink from Superman Returns scared them away from Superman for 7 years.

The deeper this pit gets dug, the longer they're gonna have to wait to reboot it (if they can't turn it around that is).

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Hard to tell sometimes lol. Glad you don't, though..shit seems unhealthy!

It's the only FUN we can have with this universe!

Speaking of which, God I hope that JL won't be a lame ass quipfest like that trailer. People hate (or love) this universe already, go for it. None of the jokes landed in that trailer, coolest thing about it was that Aquaman shot with the waves hitting him. Just let Snyder go wild with the visuals and his dark themes and whatnot.

Honestly the RT% is meaningless unless you must align with the popular consensus, and there are certainly some people who live and die by RT%.

But, like, BvS' twenty-some meant 1/4 people gave it fresh. I fall into that group. Suicide Squad, I fall into the 3/4 that didn't like it. Rogue One, I'm in the 1/4 who didn't like it. Not everything is for everyone, and some things can be for some people. Obviously with big blockbusters you need the majority to be favorable, but that's about the business and not artistic side of movies.

J_Viper

I wonder if WW will be graded on the same curve that Ghostbusters and Jessica Jones were.

She has one of the most memorable faces in Hollywood and very cat like eyes, yes. it's not white woman #213497235. That's why Pfeiffer did so well, even if she wasn't brunette, her face is just too damn memorable. Sienna Miller? one in a bucket.

Angelina is a no brainer but I doubt she's interested in cbm.

Don't forget we already knopw how Beckinsale look in a catsuit.

Selene_(Underworld).jpg

I mean, she's already halfwway there haha.

Sienna has experiences with cat-suits too

G.I.%20Joe%20The%20Rise%20of%20Cobra%20movie%20image%20(4).jpg

At some point, it does become serious. If this movie meets the same critical reception as the others, Warner Bros has to seriously start considering if they're hurting the brand more than they're helping it. Sure they might be somehow managing to break even or making a bit a money from the films, but are they doing more harm than good?

The stink from Green Lantern's corpse still has Warner Bros shook almost 6 years later. The stink from the Schumacher Batman films scared them away from Batman for 8 years. You could say the mild stink from Superman Returns scared them away from Superman for 7 years.

The deeper this pit gets dug, the longer they're gonna have to wait to reboot it (if they can't turn it around that is).

They're making money though..that's what matters in the end. I don't see them just folding and walking away when there's plenty of cash to be grabbed. These movies aren't being affected by Green Lantern. I hate this term but, "the casual viewer" were only reminded it existed thanks to that Deadpool intro.

I think half of the RT threads is people coming in, saying they disagree with the score, their mom/dad/brother/cousin/Krypto loved (insert film) and disagree with the reviewers. WB can't be blind to that fact.

The only time I've ever let an RT number make me do anything was Fan4stic, because there was no way the movie was THAT bad..whoops lol. I get where you're coming from, but the masses LOVED Nolan's Batman run..that's plenty of goodwill for days.

I personally think Diana will turn the tide..here's hoping, anyway.

It's the only FUN we can have with this universe!

Speaking of which, God I hope that JL won't be a lame ass quipfest like that trailer. People hate (or love) this universe already, go for it. None of the jokes landed in that trailer, coolest thing about it was that Aquaman shat with the waves hitting him. Just let Snyder go wild with the visuals and his dark themes and whatnot.

😐

I don't know how to take this..

It's easier to discuss with a higher score. Because you always have the higher score.

I've never understood friend that only buy things based on Metacritic. It's insanity to me. I truly don't understand why some other fucker's opinion/judgement will be better than my own..

BadAss2961

Green Lantern bombed. Superman Returns sucked and quickly became irrelevant, doesn't even have a cult following. The Schumacher films were conceptually bad, sending Batman back to a time where it wasn't to be taken seriously as a big screen property.

DCEU movies are relevant and make good money, they've just failed critically.

Ninjimbo

You know, I just might talk myself into believing JL could go positive on RT. I don't really care but if campiness is what people want and JL is full of camp, it might get a 65!

Green Lantern bombed. Superman Returns sucked and quickly became irrelevant, doesn't even have a cult following. The Schumacher films were conceptually bad, sending Batman back to a time where it wasn't to be taken seriously as a big screen property.

And that's it. Returns didn't affect MoS. That was a clear departure/reboot from the original. Returns was dookie..and a bit creepy, really. MoS I actually watched twice in theaters..felt like I needed a second viewing to like Clark/Supes more.

These things are making bank, which is all WB is concerned with. Think about the movies of our youth that were badly reviewed and now food can't get enough of them. I'm not saying that this is the case here..I'm just saying that is an example of why these % shouldn't keep you up at night..

LionPride

Banned
What yall got against Superman Returns? I watched it last week for the first time in a while and came away thinking it's my third favorite Superman movie

Ninjimbo

Plus, it's just all around safer to bank on a superhero movie instead of risky projects like Pan or Mad Max. If WB can deliver on expectations just once, they'll get everybody back, very easily. Despite all the shit people are talking about DC right now, you just know those people would rather line up for a JL film than some generic blockbuster like San Andreas.

WB should just stay the course.

What yall got against Superman Returns? I watched it last week for the first time in a while and came away thinking it's my third favorite Superman movie
Oh you sweet Summer child...l don't think anybody likes that movie in here lol

And that's it. Returns didn't affect MoS. That was a clear departure/reboot from the original. Returns was dookie..and a bit creepy, really. MoS I actually watched twice in theaters..felt like I needed a second viewing to like Clark/Supes more.

These things are making bank, which is all WB is concerned with. Think about the movies of our youth that were badly reviewed and now food can't get enough of them. I'm not saying that this is the case here..I'm just saying that is an example of why these % shouldn't keep you up at night..

Let's be real, they might be making money. They aren't making bank or good money.

LionPride

Banned
Check WB's financials. They made good money last year on the strength of New Line's films and Suicide Squad, BvS, and now Fantastic Beasts. WB is in good shape for now.

But as it has been said, Batman vs Superman didn't make a billion dollars. That has to hurt. It has to hurt when The Secret Life of Pets makes more money than a movie starring Batman and Superman. That's not good.

Why are we talking about a bunch of other movies when I'm talking about DCEU movies might be making money?

$350m (reported production budget and a $100m marketing budget) x 2.5 (split due to people who talk about doubling a budget or tripling a budget to make money) is $875m. BvS might have broken even.

Because they aren't on some "Sky is falling" timeline. They have, as a whole, been doing quite well. Their "side" funny book movies are putting in work IN SPITE of reviews..

LionPride

Banned
Is this a thing? I'll admit I don't have a clue how the home market does..not something I ever see discussed much on GAF.

Home market tends to help a lot of movies that do aight in theatres and then kill on Blu-Ray, like people held out hope that Dredd would get a sequel because although no one saw it, it killed at home. I think it's the same way live TV ratings aren't what matters the most, it's live + streaming

Ninjimbo

Wasn't quite successful on dvd/blu-ray and VoD?
Very successful. Top five last year I think.

But as it has been said, Batman vs Superman didn't make a billion dollars. That has to hurt. It has to hurt when The Secret Life of Pets makes more money than a movie starring Batman and Superman. That's not good.
Only if you're comparing theater revenue which is only one way movies like BvS make money. In terms of merchandising, licenses, Blu Ray sales, BvS can easily make millions more. It's safe to say BvS will likely generate more money over the course of its life than Secret Life of Pets.

I'm not going to doubt that the brand might have been hurt, but as of now, SS might have overperformed. WB IS making money and the movies are being talked about way after they've come out. There's a lot of interest in them. They might be critic proof. No way to know for sure until Justice League comes out. Everyone here is already blue balled for a trailer.

LionPride

Banned
Very successful. Top five last year I think.

Only if you're comparing theater revenue which is only one way movies like BvS make money. In terms of merchandising, licenses, Blu Ray sales, BvS can easily make millions more. It's safe to say BvS will likely generate more money over the course of its life than Secret Life of Pets.

I'm not going to doubt that the brand might have been hurt, but as of now, SS might have overperformed. WB IS making money and the movies are being talked about way after they've come out. There's a lot of interest in them. They might be critic proof. No way to know for sure until Justice League comes out. Everyone here is already blue balled for a trailer.
I think they are critic proof, but I think Wonder Woman is the real test. If folks don't go see that movie, then there is a problem. But as long as they making money, it don't matter if they suck or not, they making that paper and that's what matters in the long run. I think the X-Men movies are god awful, but they make money every time one comes out so
yeshrug.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom