• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

A Black Adam solo film probably the best move they were able to make right now. The Rock is box office gold right now, and he has been more than patient with WB while they ignored Shazam for what feels like an eternity now while they greenlit any number of other projects, despite having signed The Rock up ages ago.

Say what you will about the DCEU so far, but the complete and utter failure to do anything with The Rock after sitting on a project he's been incredibly hyped about for quite some time now would be the crowning achievement in a catalogue of already pretty sizeable fuck ups.

I thought it was mostly because he was so busy... I mean dude filmed what 4-5 movies last year?

This year he seems to have a lighter schedule so probably pushed for them to get the wheels in motion.

Wouldn't be surprised if started filming before year's end.

Platy

Cause it's the Rock.

This news just makes me more of a believer that Shazam isn't happening and they couldn't convince the Rock to take a different role so they compromised and gave him his own movie + hooks in the DCEU for his character.

Sad ... he was very interested in doing a Lobo movie a few years ago =(

J_Viper

Black Adam solo movie sounds great.

I will, however, continue to say that this

a teen boy who can transform himself into a superhero by speaking the word ”Shazam!"

Can't possibly be translated to screen and not look fucking stupid

Just set up Black Adam as the next Superman villain, Shazam can't work

Ross61

Hollywood Reporter said one source said that Henry Gayden is writing the Shazam script. No scriptwriter for Black Adam yet.

J_Viper

More stupid than using a bow guy to fight aliens?

Or a guy dressing up as a bat? A guy wearing his superhero suit with cape under a suit? Come on.

A kid who yells SHAZAM into the air is more stupid than Batman or Hawkeye, yes.

It's like how Banshee in First Class was. That just looked fucking ridiculous.

Hollywood Reporter said one source said that Henry Gayden is writing the Shazam script. No scriptwriter for Black Adam yet.
7Pbevv1.png

Great resume!

A Black Adam solo film probably the best move they were able to make right now. The Rock is box office gold right now, and he has been more than patient with WB while they ignored Shazam for what feels like an eternity now while they greenlit any number of other projects, despite having signed The Rock up ages ago.

Say what you will about the DCEU so far, but the complete and utter failure to do anything with The Rock after sitting on a project he's been incredibly hyped about for quite some time now would be the crowning achievement in a catalogue of already pretty sizeable fuck ups.

You say this shit as if the dude wasn't busy working on the 11 billion projects he's had going for the last few years (Off the top of my head - two FF movies, Ballers, Jumanji, San Andreas, Rampage, Baywatch), plus actually getting a script and everything in order. Hell, isn't that what's happening with Affleck and Batman? I know being impatient and demanding as fuck about everything is kind of the internet's thing, but this shit doesn't happen overnight.

EDIT: Are we still assuming to know what "works" in superhero movies? Post-giant sentient tree and talking raccoon?

firelogic

Is Shazam without Black Adam even a thing?

What about Shazam with the Rock in the title role and then something happens to turn him evil and he changes his look and name to Black Adam? Combine both of their origins and tweak Shazam's part so it isn't a kid turning into a man.

You say this shit as if the dude wasn't busy working on the 11 billion projects he's had going for the last few years (Off the top of my head - two FF movies, Ballers, Jumanji, San Andreas, Rampage, Baywatch), plus actually getting a script and everything in order. Hell, isn't that what's happening with Affleck and Batman? I know being impatient and demanding as fuck about everything is kind of the internet's thing, but this shit doesn't happen overnight.

EDIT: Are we still assuming to know what "works" in superhero movies? Post-giant sentient tree and talking raccoon?

Let's not forget people were a nervous wreck about how Marvel would handle stuff and it took almost a dozen movies before we got to talking racoon and sentient tree territory.

Ross61

A kid who yells SHAZAM into the air is more stupid than Batman or Hawkeye, yes.

It's like how Banshee in First Class was. That just looked fucking ridiculous.

7Pbevv1.png

Great resume!

I know where being funny here but let's kinda look at the facts. The backgrounds of a lot of MCU writer are kinda barebones. Hell, the writers of The Captain America "trilogy" were previously Thor: TDW and Chronicles of Narnia scribes. Doctor Strange screenwriter didn't have resumes to gloat about either.

Shazam sounds stupid as hell in concept but if they made it a comedy it could really work. Basically that tom hanks movie big turned into an action flick

ReiGun

And now we're past that.

And even the anxiety around GotG was kinda dumb. Rocket and Groot are aliens. General audiences are used to aliens.

They're used to a lot of shit nerds consider barriers of entry for some reason. We've had successful movies about talking cars, toasters, whatever the hell the minions are. People will stretch their suspension of disbelief pretty far for the right flick.

GeeTeeCee

The idea that "people won't go see a film about a talking raccoon" always felt dumb as hell anyway, considering that the company that released said film made its fortune off the back of a talking cartoon mouse decades prior.

People will watch anything. You just have to make the effort to make it watchable.

I wonder how old the actor they cast as Billy would be since they would want to pick an age that would leave Billy as a believable kid/teenager for a couple of movies.

LionPride

Banned

Dwayne is up for literally anything and they haven't used him, I mean wut

Ahasverus

What about Shazam with the Rock in the title role and then something happens to turn him evil and he changes his look and name to Black Adam? Combine both of their origins and tweak Shazam's part so it isn't a kid turning into a man.
Well Black Adam was "a" Shazam once. That is the arc they're planning probably. Kinda like Legacy of Kain.

a916

Cause it's the Rock.

This news just makes me more of a believer that Shazam isn't happening and they couldn't convince the Rock to take a different role so they compromised and gave him his own movie + hooks in the DCEU for his character.

Make him Shazam too, double role... it's really stupid if WB wants to waste The Rock on Black Adam. He pulls off stupid kid in a big body really well. ( I mean that in the nicest way). Then force Shazam into JL like the New52 did. Now The Rock is part of the Justice League which will add more humor to a character that should be humerous.

Ross61

Black Adam is definitely interesting choice for a solo. Even more harder for a franchise. Even though he's been in the anti-hero role more than once, he really hasn't accumulated any rogues gallery. Shazam has quite a few rogues, including Black Adam. This could actually be a great chance to break away from the traditonal mold that the superhero movies have.
They probably won't and just give Adam some of Shazam's rogues.

There's no other WB thread to discuss this but I think WB might be gearing up to reveal that live action Johnny Quest movie.

I…what?

Seriously, this is exactly what's wrong with the DCEU.

I love Billy but I feel like he's always been harder to translate to the big screen, like the f4. His villains are a bit out there, can you imagine Mr. Mind on the big screen?

Anyway if the theory about Motherbox's being owned by ancient civilizations is true, I could see Darkseid tying into Black Adam's solo films. Especially with the rumors flying around that the knightmare sequence was in Khandaq. I could see Black Adam showing up as a villain in jl2, having struck a deal with Darkseid to save his country.

Black Adam is definitely interesting choice for a solo. Even more harder for a franchise. Even though he's been in the anti-hero role more than once, he really hasn't accumulated any rogues gallery. Shazam has quite a few rogues, including Black Adam. This could actually be a great chance to break away from the traditonal mold that the superhero movies have.
They probably won't and just give Adam some of Shazam's rogues.

There's no other WB thread to discuss this but I think WB might be gearing up to reveal that live action Johnny Quest movie.

Eh there's enough magic/ancient villains to go around. I think Vandal Savage would be their prime choice considering he was involved in Adam's original origins. They could even do Ra's, Wotan, Mordru, Sabbac, Faust, Eclipso (spectre?), or Trigon.

Ahasverus

It's obvious they're going for a Shazam "prequel" with Black Adam being Shazam in Egypt and rejecting his role, with the second one being his redemption at the hands of the pure hearted warrior he should have been. Kinda like Star Wars.

I could see them going 20 something playing a teenager or something for Billy to go for a YA vibe

It's obvious they're going for a Shazam "prequel" with Black Adam being Shazam in Egypt and rejecting his role, with the second one being his redemption at the hands of the pure hearted warrior he should have been. Kinda like Star Wars.

Wait a minute.

Dwayne Johnson...

Egyptian...

Good guy in the prequel, a bad guy in the future...

Fuck dudes, it's the Scorpion King.

Effect

Is Shazam without Black Adam even a thing?

Yeah. Shazam/Captain Marvel has a pretty big history that I think has never really been mined properly. If I recall he was selling even more books then Superman back in his prime. If the dates on wiki are right his original title ran from 1939–1953. That's a decent amount of material there, especially considering decompression storytelling wasn't a thing back then. He has a full supporting cast. People just think it's Shazam and Black Adam but it's not. It's not like Black Adam is Shazam's archenemy or anything. That's actually Doctor Sivana.

Edit:

Glad others noticed the Scorpion King thing.

shingi70

Banned
Yeah. Shazam/Captain Marvel has a pretty big history that I think has never really been mined properly. If I recall he was selling even more books then Superman back in his prime. If the dates on wiki are right his original title ran from 1939–1953. That's a decent amount of material there, especially considering decompression storytelling wasn't a thing back then. He has a full supporting cast. People just think it's Shazam and Black Adam but it's not. It's not like Black Adam is Shazam's archenemy or anything. That's actually Doctor Sivana.

It's part of the reason why DC bought out fawcett comics.

Ross61

If Shazam wasn't always New Line's thing vs WB's thing, then I'd call the news utterly terrible but I'm going to let slide this time.

The black man exercised dominance on the movie execs. Plus atleast Shazam has a script in the making, that's more than you can say for Black Adam at the moment.

WB's probably not gonna release an updated schedule are they. This really might be run like a comic slate.

The black man exercised dominance on the movie execs. Plus atleast Shazam has a script in the making, that's more than you can say for Black Adam at the moment.

WB's probably not gonna release an unposted schedule are they. This really might be run like a comic slate.

There is a Q4 investor call at the beginning of February. If we're going to get anything resembling a schedule or an update on these films, it will likely be from that call.

Busty

Banned

If Ant Man can work on screen (starring Paul Rudd no less) then so can Shazam.

I have zero doubts that a boy who can transform himself into a superhero when given powers by a wizard (IIRC) has enormous potential as a film.

I'd pitch it as Harry Potter meets Superman meets the 'fish out of water' style and awe of something like Flight Of The Navigator.

Penguin

You know there was a TV show for the property?

What looks stupid to some, works for others.

And honestly think it's a goldmine that both DC and Marvel has ignored with a movie that is kind of kid-centric. Spider-man will kind of fill that void, but even he is in HS

Busty

Banned
There's no other WB thread to discuss this but I think WB
might be gearing up to reveal that live action Johnny Quest movie.

Not only that, I heard that Warners are really into that Future Quest comic from DC. I wonder if a potential Jonny Quest film could morph into something more?

What if that writers room that Warners are putting together for a Hanna Barbara shared universe isn't for a slate of animated films but some kind of 'Future Quest' cineverse?

Hmmmmmm.

If Shazam wasn't always New Line's thing vs WB's thing, then I'd call the news utterly terrible but I'm going to let slide this time.

True. But then the head of New Line became the head of Warners so I'm not sure that they really have a 'thing' anymore.

Though New Line will still remain the label that WB use for their more 'modest' projects.

Ross61

Not only that, I heard that Warners are really into that Future Quest comic from DC. I wonder if a potential Jonny Quest film could morph into something more?

What if that writers room that Warners are putting together for a Hanna Barbara shared universe isn't for a slate of animated films but some kind of 'Future Quest' cineverse?

Hmmmmmm.

True. But then the head of New Line became the head of Warners so I'm not sure that they really have a 'thing' anymore.

Though New Line will still remain the label that WB use for their more 'modest' projects.

Woah, this is the first I'm hearing of that.

Penguin

Hmmmmmm.

I think Future quest works best as an animated movie just because of so many different styles/looks

Busty

Banned
Woah, this is the first I'm hearing of that.

It has been hinted at for a while but now they are putting together a slate of projects (Jetsons, Scooby Doo etc) that would all work together. I'm surprised that someone hasn't done it sooner though I suppose Despicable Me goes someway to doing that with Minions etc.

They are planning to do something similar for the Looney Tunes brand potentially kicking off with Space Jam 2, BvS 'style'. But how far down the road they are with that I'm not sure.

I think Future quest works best as an animated movie just because of so many different styles/looks

That's a good point, actually. I'm not sure how you translate something like Space Ghost to the big screen in live action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom