• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleepey

I dug it. lol

I imagine Bleepey brings up Marvel because he's not just talking to the guy he quoted, but to all the MCU guys who might kill the DCEU for one thing while overlooking their same trivial issue on Marvel's end. Reason for doing this is because no one has the time to respond to brick walls all day -- there's practically no DC defense force here, so anyone who likes these movies will usually be alone from thread to thread with tons of drive-by opposition. So you get all your licks in while you can without caring for any serious conversation you know you won't be getting anyway.

It's mostly shits and giggles over at OT, so it's fun to dish back sometimes.

Pretty much I have said many a time I have no problem with people thinking a movie is boring. I just find it weird that plot holes people have a problem with are things that are explained in the movie and when explained to them they continue to stubbornly repeat the same tired arguments. Another thing is when people cite examples of how to do characters properly that do not follow rules they claim to advocate: I can cite many examples of comic book precedent of Batman's killed indirectly and indirectly from Detective comics 27, Batman 66 and the Nolan movies; same thing for Superman from Action Comics 1 and Richard Donner's Superman who had sex just after cold blooded murder; people um and ahh justifying these kills even after I cite interviews by Jonathan Nolan saying "dude batman totally kills" and that's just stuff from the DC side. When I ask for explanations for how Zemo knew certain things it's hand waived with just cos, I could point about 5 things about Thunderbolt Ross's speech in CW that literally make no fucking sense if you paid attention to the previous MCU films. And the Captain America being better Superman for reasons I can only attribute to being lit brighter by the cinematographers because only one of the characters who when their role is questioned they try to hold themselves to account the other says fuck you, " best hands are still our own". I come with objective claims and I am met with ad hominems and jokes about flow charts. It doesn't keep me up at night but I find people's objective double standards truly weird.

D5xPdBE.jpg

image.php

lol..You might be on to something, brother!!

guek

Banned
Pretty much I have said many a time I have no problem with people thinking a movie is boring. I just find it weird that plot holes people have a problem with are things that are explained in the movie and when explained to them they continue to stubbornly repeat the same tired arguments. Another thing is when people cite examples of how to do characters properly that do not follow rules they claim to advocate: I can cite many examples of comic book precedent of Batman's killed indirectly and indirectly from Detective comics 27, Batman 66 and the Nolan movies; same thing for Superman from Action Comics 1 and Richard Donner's Superman who had sex just after cold blooded murder; people um and ahh justifying these kills even after I cite interviews by Jonathan Nolan saying "dude batman totally kills" and that's just stuff from the DC side. When I ask for explanations for how Zemo knew certain things it's hand waived with just cos, I could point about 5 things about Thunderbolt Ross's speech in CW that literally make no fucking sense if you paid attention to the previous MCU films. And the Captain America being better Superman for reasons I can only attribute to being lit brighter by the cinematographers because only one of the characters who when their role is questioned they try to hold themselves to account the other says fuck you, " best hands are still our own". I come with objective claims and I am met with ad hominems and jokes about flow charts. It doesn't keep me up at night but I find people's objective double standards truly weird.
You see what you want to see, but more importantly, you take this way too personally, dude. They're talking about fictional characters

giphy.gif

J_Viper

I'm probably going to rewatch Suicide Squad tonight.

Never thought I'd say that, but I saw Lion today, and that was such a powerful movie that I need something dumb to wash the emotion away

Did it really?

That's strange, he got big, but he wasn't at Hemsworth levels of swole.

He was like 200 lbs for someone who is probably 5'8" and gained 30 lbs of muscle in a matter of months. He said he's not doing drastic weight gain or loss now that he's turning 40 and I don't blame him.

bryanee

Not DCEU but I watched Justice League Dark and found it to be enjoyable. Matt Ryan even nails it as animated Constantine. Using a bit of dub step in the final battle was an odd choice though.

Is Zack Snyder's brain ok? Why does Batman have a gun in that concept art?

I've given up trying to rationalize it. It's like he saw that one panel in TDKR and thought he just always had a machine gun. Hope Snyder and Affleck know better now.

Not DCEU but I watched Justice League Dark and found it to be enjoyable. Matt Ryan even nails it as animated Constantine. Using a bit of dub step in the final battle was an odd choice though.

Current DCAU movies have gone a bit dubstep happy, and it's the weirdest thing. Need to see this. Saw a clip with Batman and the specters and I loved it.

J_Viper

He was like 200 lbs for someone who is probably 5'8" and gained 30 lbs of muscle in a matter of months. He said he's not doing drastic weight gain or loss now that he's turning 40 and I don't blame him.

Ahh I see. Yeah the bouncing back and forth can't be healthy, I'm sure that plays a part in Huge Jackedman throwing in the towel.

Probably shootin' at Doomsday

Matt Ryan even nails it as animated Constantine.

KEANU IS THE ONE AND ONLY CONSTANTINE

firelogic

And yet, he doesn't understand the characters at all.

I think he understands them perfectly. Batman and Superman are works in progress within their universe. They weren't born as perfect representations of the characters we know. He's showing all the growing pains they went through before becoming the icons they are today.

shingi70

Banned
I think he understands them perfectly. Batman and Superman are works in progress within their universe. They weren't born as perfect representations of the characters we know. He's showing all the growing pains they went through before becoming the icons they are today.

But his Batman has been around for twenty years and is like 40.

Bleepey

And it's explained many a time in the film that his cruel killing streak is a new thing. He used to be the less cruel Batman, but a combination of the Metropolis incident,death of Robin and prevalent endemic crime in Gotham has made him give zero fucks anymore. Until Superman pleads for his mother's life on his deathbed which reminds him why he does the things he does.

Effect

That's suppose to stop him from still changing (for the better and worse) and growing? I remember the Batman in Batman Beyond still learning, improving, and changing and he's what in this 80s? People and characters don't stay stagnant once they reach a certain age.

I'm probably going to rewatch Suicide Squad tonight.

Never thought I'd say that, but I saw Lion today, and that was such a powerful movie that I need something dumb to wash the emotion away

Lol This thread is a constant shit show.... what the fuck is going on?

haven't read the thread in 2 weeks cause It's always some fuccboy shit goin on. Chill brehs, this is a safe space.

skip1.png
skip1.png

He understands them. Probably a lot better than most people.

- Christopher Nolan did a better job with Batman/Bruce Wayne's character than Zack Snyder. I prefer Zacks Batman though when it comes to fighting, without the killing part.

- Christopher Reeves is a better Superman than Henry Cavil. It's not even close.

- Hell, Brandon Routh in my opinion is a better Superman than Cavil. The only problem with that movie is that it was so boring which is why I prefer Man of Steel over it.

- Don't even get me started with Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor.

- Jimmy Olsen, one of DC fans lovable characters gets shot and killed coldblooded with about 30 seconds of screen time...I didn't even know that was Jimmy until I started watching reviews and people were saying that Zack killed off Jimmy. I was completely shocked and was angry when I discovered that was him. I am still pissed off just thinking about it. You can scratch him off Man of Steel 2.

- I love DC, but I extremely dislike Zack Snyder because most times he really don't know what the hell he's doing with the DCEU. Superman is not a likable character to me. Batman is not a likable character thanks to the killing part. I'm starting to like Afflecks Bruce Wayne thanks to that scene with him and Barry.

- I hope Justice League is a success critically. I can give two shits about how much money it makes which will probably still come up short to a billion.

Ashhong

You know what? I bet Zack 100% understands these characters. It's just comic books, it's not hard to understand.

The thing is, he doesn't care and is okay with changing stuff up to what he would want instead. He's said before that he makes the movie for himself. Why not "improve" on a character when given the chance? If I want Wonder Woman to be hot as fuck I would take that too. If I want Batman to be shooting fools down, then that's what I'll do.

You know what? I bet Zack 100% understands these characters. It's just comic books, it's not hard to understand.

The thing is, he doesn't care and is okay with changing stuff up to what he would want instead. He's said before that he makes the movie for himself. Why not "improve" on a character when given the chance? If I want Wonder Woman to be hot as fuck I would take that too. If I want Batman to be shooting fools down, then that's what I'll do.

How is any of this not a problem?

Ross61

Jimmy Olsen in 2017. Lmao

But honestly, this you can never have a different interpretation of the character I like complex that comic fans have is toxic

Ashhong

How is any of this not a problem?

I didn't say that it was or isn't. A lot of people make movies for themselves. It just so happens he's doing it with an existing character and some people take issue with it.

And to be fair, he hasn't changed anything too drastic and pretty much all of it has some basis in a comic

Is hard to have a defense force if 2/3 of the movies of the DC were disapointments even for DC fans like myself.

speak for yourself, plenty of us have the fortitude to defend what we like.

I've given up trying to rationalize it. It's like he saw that one panel in TDKR and thought he just always had a machine gun. Hope Snyder and Affleck know better now.

Current DCAU movies have gone a bit dubstep happy, and it's the weirdest thing. Need to see this. Saw a clip with Batman and the specters and I loved it.

his brain is fine it's called concept art, look it up.

And yet, he doesn't understand the characters at all.

I think I've heard this line parroted a thousand times and it's always said by people who don't get comic books at all.

- Christopher Nolan did a better job with Batman/Bruce Wayne's character than Zack Snyder. I prefer Zacks Batman though when it comes to fighting, without the killing part.

- Christopher Reeves is a better Superman than Henry Cavil. It's not even close.

- Hell, Brandon Routh in my opinion is a better Superman than Cavil. The only problem with that movie is that it was so boring which is why I prefer Man of Steel over it.

- Don't even get me started with Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor.

- Jimmy Olsen, one of DC fans lovable characters gets shot and killed coldblooded with about 30 seconds of screen time...I didn't even know that was Jimmy until I started watching reviews and people were saying that Zack killed off Jimmy. I was completely shocked and was angry when I discovered that was him. I am still pissed off just thinking about it. You can scratch him off Man of Steel 2.

- I love DC, but I extremely dislike Zack Snyder because most times he really don't know what the hell he's doing with the DCEU. Superman is not a likable character to me. Batman is not a likable character thanks to the killing part. I'm starting to like Afflecks Bruce Wayne thanks to that scene with him and Barry.

- I hope Justice League is a success critically. I can give two shits about how much money it makes which will probably still come up short to a billion.

and this is your explanation for why Zack doesn't "get" Superman?
I was right. you don't get comics at all.

edit: Superman is a symbol. Clark Kent/Kal-El is an alien raised in Kansas who is just like you and me. likes a beer, the Royals game on TV and travelling.

being Superman has it's burdens and responsibilities and BvS explored those.
he wants to do good in the world but in the real world hope and optimism isn't always a given. sometimes you stumble and fall and you have to pick yourself up again. again, something the movie explored and talked about
Batman was the same, his endless war on crime was going nowhere, he had lost hope. it wasn't until he fought the superman (emphasis on MAN) that he realized that there is still something worth fighting for.
that there were people out there that believed what he believed in.

Jimmy Olsen in 2017. Lmao

But honestly, this you can never have a different interpretation of the character I like complex that comic fans have is toxic

It never made much sense to me seeing how the most popular iterations of these characters were themselves departures from the norm. Say, Byrne's Trump-inspired Luthor is what went on to define the Superman TAS Luthor and other modern incarnations; and that was about 30 years ago, longer than when the character was first introduced. Back in 2007 Ledger's Joker got hate for being "hobo Joker." As always there are misfires, and I'd put Leto's Joker in that camp, but without a willingness to experiment and be creative with these properties you lose out on so much of what made them great to begin with.

and this is your explanation for why Zack doesn't "get" Superman?
I was right. you don't get comics at all.

Well, yes he doesn't get Superman. How does he goes from a saving hero in Man of Steel to a dark, evil, moody, and not likable Superman in just the second movie? He barely smiles in BvS for crying out loud and that's suppose to be Superman? He always has a angry look on his face. He let criminals get away just to threaten Batman. Like seriously? I was a guy that wanted to give Zack a second chance after Man of Steel because I actually liked that movie and Cavil actually felt like Superman but nowhere near Reeves status. And then BvS happened and they destroyed his character by making him the villain and the film going the dark route. This made me dislike Cavil's Superman completely after that movie. Also, for a film that's called Batman v Superman, it took 2 hours just for them to fight each other and that lasted for like 7 minutes.

Well, yes he doesn't get Superman. How does he goes from a saving hero in Man of Steel to a dark, evil, moody, and not likable Superman in just the second movie? He barely smiles in BvS for crying out loud and that's suppose to be Superman? He always has a angry look on his face. He let criminals get away just to threaten Batman. Like seriously? I was a guy that wanted to give Zack a second chance after Man of Steel because I actually liked that movie and Cavil actually felt like Superman but nowhere near Reeves status. And then BvS happened and they destroyed his character by making him the villain and the film going the dark route. This made me dislike Cavil's Superman completely after that movie. Also, for a film that's called Batman v Superman, it took 2 hours just for them to fight each other and that lasted for like 7 minutes.
Why he is acting like that is explained in the movie. Thousands have died. He feels guilty, probably is guilty. Woul you smile under those circumstances?

But anyway, Supes sucks - your arguments are weak tho.

Why he is acting like that is explained in the movie. Thousands have died. He feels guilty, probably is guilty. Woul you smile under those circumstances?

But anyway, Supes sucks - your arguments are weak tho.

Well, I can write a 1 page paper if I wanted to really give a piece of my mind about how bad Superman is now. I really don't care about how weak or strong my arguments are. Everyone has their opinions. Also, the guilty part. Did you really just go that route? This movie does a terrible job on trying to make him look and feel guilty. They make Superman as the villain making him feel guilty for what happened in Man of Steel and then later he threatens Batman(a human being), after he was chasing down Lex's goons. Bad writing. I'm really not trying to make arguments. Just giving opinions and facts on how Zack is the true villain of the DCEU.

Let's leave it, then.

I will just say this. I like the ideas Snyder has, but I do not like his execution at all. So yeah, I want im to leave, too. But I will never get personal or say "he doesn't get a character" - because ffs, these are fictional characters with all sorts of variations and stories.

he threatens Batman(a human being), after he was chasing down Lex's goons.

Yet there were people that complained that he was being forced to fight Batman instead of doing it of his own volition. Imagine the complaints if they had Superman actually seek a physical confrontation with Batman. Not agreeing or disagreeing with your points, actually nothing to do with what you said really, just an observation.

Let's leave it, then.

I will just say this. I like the ideas Snyder has, but I do not like his execution at all. So yeah, I want im to leave, too. But I will never get personal or say "he doesn't get a character" - because ffs, these are fictional characters with all sorts of variations and stories.

For sure. Have your problems with the snyder verse. That's fine. But the minute people say useless garbage like "doesn't get the character" it always ends up being a dull argument.

Implying the entitled fans have such ownership over these properties when they should realize that everything, including the comics they read, is an adaptation.

I wonder if batman fans were this crazy about it when frank miller worked on him back in the day. The Tim Burton movie prolly gave fanboys a heart attack

edit: I shouldn't be so mean about it tho, but damn has that argument gotten old about this genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom