• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross61

It's being reported that he didn't like the script tho. You're not worried that this is going to get rushed?

It's being both of them didn't like the script. I doubt WB are gonna go forward with a script that they aren't confident in after recent events.

Is he still on to finish the script with Johns? They've spent a lot of time on it, hopefully they get to finish it.

Reports are saying that's still the case. Depending on how they get as a replacement director, he may tweak it to his style as needed, but we won't know that for a while.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
It's a cesspool

Hollywood Reporter saying neither Affleck or WB are happy with it still....

It's being reported that he didn't like the script tho. You're not worried that this is going to get rushed?
They're just quoting the thing Affleck said during those interviews while promoting Live by Night a few weeks ago. We've already covered that. Ben said that's fine literally a day later. He was just tired of getting asked about Batman.

BadAss2961

I remember saying like a couple weeks ago that i'd be more excited to see a Snyder directed Batman film. lol

Oh well, the load was too much. It's good he stepped down from the director's chair if he had any doubts about it. Live By Night reception fucked him up.

Ahasverus

giphy.gif

I tried, I really tried, but if Affleck bails out I see no reason to stay in line.

Holy shit at OT. I know drive-bys are pretty standard but they at least tend to relate to the subject matter. How does "Affleck feels trying to do both will hurt the movie" relate to "How does WB keep fucking it up?" If anyone has an explanation for a comment like that I am all ears.

When you are part of a struggling cinematic universe, everything negative happening gets related to that struggling cinematic universe.

They recently lost their Flash director, then had a complete rewrite of the script, now they lost their Batman director. How is this not WB fucking up?

bryanee

When you are part of a struggling cinematic universe, everything negative happening gets related to that struggling cinematic universe.

They recently lost their Flash director, then had a complete rewrite of the script, now they lost their Batman director. How is this not WB fucking up?

Its WB's fault because Affleck thinks hes not up to the task? Ok.

Effect

They've never set a date from what I recall so I can't feel one way or another regarding anything being rushed. If he's not happy with the script then he should maybe walk away from that too since he was the one writing it. Perhaps he's not happy because he's never been able to devote his full attention to it. Script writing isn't easy, especially when you're not working from material already written like a novel which is what he's been working from as a base for a few of his films. It would be easier if he was trying to adapt an already made storyline and I don't think that's the case. This likely would be significantly easier if he was.

I've never been big on the fact that he's was doing everything. Directing, writing, producing, staring, all while doing his other films where he's also directing and had written. All the while people are stupidly holding him up as some savior all because they're butt hurt they didn't get their personal interpenetration of characters (that have multiple versions and have existed for decades) or set exceptions so high in their own mind or were upset they didn't get the films they wanted instead of looking at them on their own merit. That's so much on your plate something is going to suffer. No one can or has pulled off something like before and he was expected to?

I personally don't mind if Warner Bros slows down the releases of some of their films and there is a year where there is no DC film or only one. If Aquaman is the only film in 2018 then so be it. I'll take that and Fantastic Beast 2 and be happy. It's not like we're hard up for a Batman film when we just got three to four in recent memory. Maybe more if you count the animated offerings. I'm cool with that. I already don't bother to see every Marvel film because of time and overall interest in some films being higher then others. I don't need a superhero film 5 times a year.

Woke up from a nap to see Ben isn't directing The Batman anymore. This universe will rebooted in 5 years. Affleck is ready to bail. He'll do The Batman to keep his relationship with Warner Bros and then bounce completely.

IconGrist

The difference is Flash's director wasn't also playing Flash. Affleck is still playing Batman and writing the script. Affleck stepping down from directorial duties is very likely on Affleck. If WB had anything to do with it it was based on losing $75 million on Live By Night which is also on Affleck.

I hope you're trolling.

Why? I've said in the past Ben looks like he wanted to bail when the first rumblings started that he wouldn't direct the project. Since attaching himself to the DCEU, it's been nothing but bad news for him professionally.

I wouldn't be surprised if he just wants to disconnect for a while, develop a project, and come back to directing.

Effect

Why? I've said in the past Ben looks like he wanted to bail when the first rumblings started that he wouldn't direct the project. Since attaching himself to the DCEU, it's been nothing but bad news for him professionally.

I wouldn't be surprised if he just wants to disconnect for a while, develop a project, and come back to directing.

Man has had marriage problems for a while (his cheating, distance from his kids, drinking, separation and possible divorce) as well and that's completely on him and likely plays a part too. No people don't get to use this as another chance to just completely crap on the DCEU.

Its WB's fault because Affleck thinks hes not up to the task? Ok.

The difference is Flash's director wasn't also playing Flash. Affleck is still playing Batman and writing the script. Affleck stepping down from directorial duties is very likely on Affleck. If WB had anything to do with it it was based on losing $75 million on Live By Night which is also on Affleck.

I am not sure why you guys are splitting hairs over this. Those are films under the WB banner and part of the DCEU universe. WB is footing the bill. It's WB's responsibility to ensure that these projects are on track, have scripts and have directors attached to them. Therefore it's WB fucking up.

IconGrist

I am not sure why you guys are splitting hairs over this. Those are films under the WB banner and part of the DCEU universe. WB is footing the bill. It's WB's responsibility to ensure that these projects are on track, have scripts and have directors attached to them. Therefore it's WB fucking up.

You haven't explained how Affleck stepping down from double duty is WB fucking up. You can't just say "Well, it's A WB movie so it's their fault" and be done with it. These things are not so simple.

You haven't explained how Affleck stepping down from double duty is WB fucking up. You can't just say "Well, it's A WB movie so it's their fault" and be done with it. These things are not so simple.

WB signing people who are not up to the task is WB's fault. About a month ago they apparently were on track to shoot in Spring. Is that still gonna happen? They simply can't get these movies on track.

Ninjimbo

I'm glad Ben is stepping down tbh. Seriously. I just don't think he can direct, act, and write a Batman film without it affecting the movie.

Have you guys seen The Appendices in the LotR and Hobbit movies? Directing a movie on that scale takes everything out of you.

IconGrist

WB signing people who are not up to the task is WB's fault. About a month ago they apparently were on track to shoot in Spring. Is that still gonna happen? They simply can't get these movies on track.

Mmmmm, no. WB signing Snyder to spearhead the DCEU when his ideas are controversial at best is WB fucking up. WB signing Affleck to direct after his last two directed movies were very well-received is WB doing smart business. Affleck stepping down is on Affleck no matter how valid his reason may be.

BadAss2961

This is a good move, but a bad look.

The fuck up is announcing him as director so early if there was a possibility this could happen. Ben was shaky on directing this from the beginning. Right after it came out that he would, I remember rumblings of him not being prepared for the announcement and just going along with it because it was expected of him. He was kinda pressured into it from the start by both WB and the fans given his credentials. We all just expected him to do it.

Ben just wants whats best for the movie. I really believe that he thinks directing on top of everything else is no longer what's best, and that there's no other shenanigans or bailout plans involved.

Mmmmm, no. WB signing Snyder to spearhead the DCEU when his ideas are controversial at best is WB fucking up. WB signing Affleck to direct after his last two directed movies were very well-received is WB doing smart business. Affleck stepping down is on Affleck no matter how valid his reason may be.

Sure, keep yourself telling that but it's a WB Batman movie that doesn't have a director right now and probably not even a script.

Denis Villeneuve

do it WB

He's not touching a CBM at all. He's rumored to be up for Dune and is a huge fan of the franchise. If he's doing any huge blockbuster, it'll be Dune.

Matt Reeves will probably be the best given the situation and I'd totally be fine with that after the last two Apes movies (Dawn was great and War looks great).

Actually, wonder if they could wrestle Mangold away from Jackman and Wolverine.

giphy.gif

I tried, I really tried, but if Affleck bails out I see no reason to stay in line.

he's still writing and the star.

agreed. thisis three directors who have bailed now.they were all under different circumstances but having unfinished scripts and directors bailing/being fired does have a bit of a demoralizing effect.

at the end of the day WB as the employer has to provide the necessary tools to make these projects as smooth as possible. three directors now that have stepped away because of one reason or another.

He's not touching a CBM at all. He's rumored to be up for Dune and is a huge fan of the franchise. If he's doing any huge blockbuster, it'll be Dune.

Matt Reeves will probably be the best given the situation and I'd totally be fine with that after the last two Apes movies (Dawn was great and War looks great).

Actually, wonder if they could wrestle Mangold away from Jackman and Wolverine.

Meh, let's first see how Mangold does with Logan. The hype surrounding that movie based on that trailer is hilarious considering the man hasn't made a good movie since '07.

Meanwhile Reeves has only done good to great work since his big screen debut.

IconGrist

This is a good move, but a bad look.

The fuck up is announcing him as director so early if there was a possibility this could happen. Ben was shaky on directing this from the beginning. Right after it came out that he would, I remember rumblings of him not being prepared for the announcement and just going along with it because it was expected of him. He was kinda pressured into it from the start by both WB and the fans given his credentials. We all just expected him to do it.

Ben just wants whats best for the movie. I really believe that he thinks directing on top of everything else is no longer what's best, and that there's no other shenanigans or bailout plans involved.

Historically we have seen many directors step down from a project. Blame can go either way on that front because every situation is different. And another thing we have to remember is that announcements like this are made waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay after they have been finalized. Hell, Momoa just recently talked about him being cast as Aquaman was a secret he had to keep for 4 or 5 years. He was officially announced as Aquaman in 2014. Think about that for a second. So somewhere around 09'-10' Momoa is cast as Aquaman. That's before Man of Steel even started filming. Is Momoa lying or do we know less about what WB is doing than we think we know?

Denny Villeneuve?
David Fincher?
Guy Ritchie?
Gavin O'Connor?
Tim Miller?
Despite the DCEU stench, I still think working on The Batman and with Ben Affleck would allure some folk.
It's sad that this will be such horribly horrible anti-DC news when Ben is still committed to the project and is doing what he thinks is best.

What a mess. Kroll says Matt Reeves is high on the list they're looking at.

That would be a step up actually. I hope it happens

Fincher is the dream but fat chance of that happening

I think the DCEU has a lot to scare away good directors though. First off its a cinematic universe movie so you already chop down good directors who want to work on that by like 95%. And it's the dcu which is just being critically shat on so often. A lot of baggage.

Ross61

Deadline also mentioned Matt Ross (Captain Fantastic). Good news is that WB seemed to have a shortlist of who they want to direct it. This was probably a decision that was made a long while ago but just now being made public.

Ninjimbo

Gonna get a lot worse before it gets better, boyos
Pfft. If WW gets a fresh and makes bank, the whole fucking narrative changes in an instant. Place your bets on Gal and Jenkins. They'll deliver.

This is becoming like sports conversations where the offscreen drama gets more attention then the actual product being put out.

Edit: Matt Reeves would be a godly replacement. I'm laughing at the mention of Fincher. That dude demands so much control of his movies that he would never work on one of these. That's why he's doing Netflix instead.

Gleethor

Pfft. If WW gets a fresh and makes bank, the whole fucking narrative changes in an instant. Place your bets on Gal and Jenkins. They'll deliver.

This is becoming like sports conversations where the offscreen drama gets more attention then the actual product being put out.
Yeah but that's still 5 months out. And if it doesn't blow people away, or worse it's BvS/SS levels of reception, people will go apeshit. I certainly hope it's great.

Denny Villeneuve?
David Fincher?
Guy Ritchie?
Gavin O'Connor?
Tim Miller?
Despite the DCEU stench, I still think working on The Batman and with Ben Affleck would allure some folk.
It's sad that this will be such horribly horrible anti-DC news when Ben is still committed to the project and is doing what he thinks is best.

I wouldn't rule out Gavin O'Connor now that you mention him. If him and Affleck got along well on the Accountant, he could be the dark horse that gets the gig when the bigger names pass.

I'm still pulling for Reeves though.

BadAss2961

Edit: Matt Reeves would be a godly replacement. I'm laughing at the mention of Fincher. That dude demands so much control of his movies that he would never work on one of these. That's why he's doing Netflix instead.
Heh, just imagine if Ben pulled Fincher. They've got history.

That move would set everyone straight and forget all about this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom