• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

firelogic

I see a lot of good directorial candidates mentioned but one name is glaringly absent. Hands down the best director for a solo Batman movie is Zack Snyder.

Fincher isn't happening. First, he likely wants nothing to do with this mess. Second, isn't he notorious for having an insane amount of control over his films? And third, why would Warner Bros want to put someone on a movie with an already insane budget that does dozens of takes for a single scene? Talk about burning through cash on a huge production like this with Fincher's directing style.

Ninjimbo

Heh, just imagine if Ben pulled Fincher. They've got history.

That move would set everyone straight and forget all about this mess.
If he did, ooh boy. People would shut the fuck up so quick lol. When Ben talked about making his Batman movie more like a detective noir, I immediately thought of Fincher. He has a gift for that kind of movie.

I think Ben will make sure this comes out right. I mean, if the movie is a critical and commercial success, Ben won't ever have to worry about money ever again. It could open up so many doors for him. The upside is tremendous.

BadAss2961

I see a lot of good directorial candidates mentioned but one name is glaringly absent. Hands down the best director for a solo Batman movie is Zack Snyder.
I mentioned him.

Zack's a workhorse. Had BvS gotten great reception he'd be down for anything. But as it stands, he's gonna burn out. Dude needs a rest.

Ninjimbo

I mentioned him.

Zack's a workhorse. Had BvS gotten great reception he'd be down for anything. But as it stands, he's gonna burn out. Dude needs a rest.
Yep. A Snyder Batman film would be the best ever, but I want him to recharge after JL.

I think with all the recent news regarding the cinematic universe chaos at WB, I was reminded of how hard these movies are to make. Just getting them off the ground takes an enormous amount of effort. Now I know why Nolan suggested him for MoS. Zack could get it done.

a916

Denny Villeneuve?
David Fincher?
Guy Ritchie?
Gavin O'Connor?
Tim Miller?
Despite the DCEU stench, I still think working on The Batman and with Ben Affleck would allure some folk.
It's sad that this will be such horribly horrible anti-DC news when Ben is still committed to the project and is doing what he thinks is best.

Batman is the ace up DC's sleeve. People would be real foolish to not realize that:

A. The appeal of directing a Batman exists
B. The allure of being that person to "bring the DCEU to glory". JJ Abrams like.

Yeah but that's still 5 months out. And if it doesn't blow people away, or worse it's BvS/SS levels of reception, people will go apeshit. I certainly hope it's great.

Not sure you can get worse than SS...

BadAss2961

I doubt they'd fuck with Ben's script to the point that he'd step down. Not him... If that's what was going on, he probably would've stepped off entirely.

Some reflection and a change of heart after Live By Night's performance is what makes the most sense. He all but said it in that Variety quote.

I doubt they'd fuck with Ben's script to the point that he'd step down. Not him... If that's what was going on, he probably would've stepped off entirely.

Some reflection and a change of heart after Live By Night's performance is what makes the most sense. He all but said it in that Variety quote.

Isn't Batman known as a holy property to them? Because it's Batman? Like, WB gets nervous with the direction folks try to take him? Whatever. I'm sure is a little bit of everything..sucks that this is how is going.

Isn't Batman known as a holy property to them? Because it's Batman? Like, WB gets nervous with the direction folks try to take him? Whatever. I'm sure is a little bit of everything..sucks that this is how is going.

I can't imagine Ben would do anything crazy with Batman that would make WB/DC worry. I mean, Snyder had Batman kill and that made it in.

Ninjimbo

I'm not feeling all that bummed about this news to be honest. The movie is just an idea in someone's mind right now. There's a like a whole set of steps to take before I can start worrying about anything.

As Live By Night proved, Affleck is capable of a dud (kinda unfair cuz I haven't seen it) so a Batman film by him wasn't a guaranteed hit. I'm also not that big on Argo or The Town. Nothing in those movies indicate he has the chops to make a Batman film either. I trust him to give it his all and I like him as an actor and a co-writer but as a director I feel there are other people who can do what he does.

Anyways, I'm happy he's still on board because his Batman and his Bruce have a ton of potential.

Ross61

If Ben wanted something more lowkey he should've not even played with sitting his ass in the director's chair. Know damn well what Batman means to WB.

If Ben wanted something more lowkey he should've not even played with sitting his ass in the director's chair. Know damn well what Batman means to WB.

I mean in terms of story. I could see him wanting something more detective driven and Warner Bros is like WHERES THE ACTION THO?!

Ninjimbo

I mean in terms of story. I could see him wanting something more detective driven and Warner Bros is like WHERES THE ACTION THO?!
Those executives greenlit TDK and BvS: movies that for two hours consists of nothing but dialogue and exposition. They can go without action as long as your movie is compelling.

DCEU is 0 for 4, and I'm seriously doubting anything changes with Wonder Woman. Is Justice League the first movie where Johns influence will be felt, or do we have to wait until next year?

IconGrist

I count Green Lantern. I know it isn't included now, but it was DC's initial attempt at starting a shared movie universe. They wiped the slate clean, obviously, but it happened.

If they wiped the slate clean then MoS is a reboot. Makes no sense to count GL despite the intention behind it. WB wanted the Nolanverse expanded too but we don't count that.

If they wiped the slate clean then MoS is a reboot. Makes no sense to count GL despite the intention behind it. WB wanted the Nolanverse expanded too but we don't count that.

My intent is to count the movies that DC has tried to use to expand into the DCEU. There are 4 such movies. That's all. *shrug* 0-3, 0-4, shit's disappointing however you look at it.

Only turd to me has been Suicide Squad. MoS and BvS had some really glaring issues, but nothing that makes me think they're bad movies. Not like Suicide Squad....

My work had the blu ray for $10 last week, and I still wouldn't bite. Such a crap movie...

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, this gave me a chuckle

C3bNFxtWMAEfuoC.jpg:large

I put MoS on top of 70 or 80% of MCU movies and BvS Ultimate is seriously a top 5 CB movie for me. Only movie I wish turned out different was Suicide Squad but even still I enjoyed it to an extent. BvS theatrical can die in a fire. If I were WB I'd purge all evidence of its existence.

I put MoS on top of 70 or 80% of MCU movies

sounds about right

BvS Ultimate is seriously a top 5 CB movie for me.

prolly top 20 for me. best snyder movie imo but there's actually a lot of great comic book movies out there, particularly when you look past just marvel and dc.

Only movie I wish turned out different was Suicide Squad but even still I enjoyed it to an extent.

that extent was the 5 or 6 minutes involving will smith in the beginning for me. piece of crap

BvS theatrical can die in a fire. If I were WB I'd purge all evidence of its existence.

they should just purge the dceu out of existence after justice league. start fresh in a few years, go for a looser connectivity rather than the mcu approach of having almost everything dependent on other films.

DCEU's time has come. Like Green Lantern or Superman Returns before it the films have become a breeding ground for suffering and injustice. It is beyond saving and must be allowed to die.

of course, back on the hype train for batman if somehow matt reeves or villeneuve came onto it. Dawn of the Apes was so good.

Bleepey

I would love him for forever and a day if there is a scene with Batman attacked in prison. The trolling would be too awesome. Snyder could do it but the negative publicity.....

As much as I give DC and WB shit for the DCEU, people still pushing back against Ben's Batman is kinda wack.

Like, that's the interpretation they're going with for this universe and there's nothing inherently wrong with it. Ben did great given the material, too.

Focus on the stuff that was actually shit.

okdakor

they should just purge the dceu out of existence after justice league. start fresh in a few years, go for a looser connectivity rather than the mcu approach of having almost everything dependent on other films.

Warner wants Batman in every DC movies ? I said it in the other thread, but make some kind of "Batman - the brave and the bold" movie universe. No need to really tie the movies, let directors choose what DC characters they want to play with Batman and let them have fun in the sandbox...

LionPride

Banned
Snyder could make a great movie but it would be destroyed by the public before opening day.
And if it's actually good people will see it and like it. See: M. Night and Split. Dude's rep was DESTROYED. He made a decent movie in Visit, and made a good one in Split. People said it was good, great even, and people have seen it. Folks felt skecth af towards it before, then it came out. So does it matter if it gets destroyed before opening day?

Not if it's actually good

And if it's actually good people will see it and like it. See: M. Night and Split. Dude's rep was DESTROYED. He made a decent movie in Visit, and made a good one in Split. People said it was good, great even, and people have seen it. Folks felt skecth af towards it before, then it came out. So does it matter if it gets destroyed before opening day?

Really need to check both of those out..and good point..

Yager

Banned

But The Visit is fucking trash :-|

I don't buy those "Split is Shyamalan's return to form!" claims because of that fucking movie.

DCEU's time has come. Like Green Lantern or Superman Returns before it the films have become a breeding ground for suffering and injustice. It is beyond saving and must be allowed to die.

of course, back on the hype train for batman if somehow matt reeves or villeneuve came onto it. Dawn of the Apes was so good.

DCEU isn't beyond saving. Give them more time.

Seriously, though. DC built its house on crazy in-universe soft-reboot plots. Flashpoint, Crisis on Infinite Earths, etc. I wouldn't be against something like that instead of burning it down and starting over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom