• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
gunnwonder_zpskpgbytc1.png

movie was a big deal in hollywood. a lot was a riding on this.

Ashhong

You can skip the ones with Action Comics in the title, they're not very good. Each Volume is about 6 or 7 individual issues in a single paperback. I believe volumes 1 and 2 are out, and 3 is on preorder (this is for all Rebirth titles not just Superman).

Wait, does that mean the Rebirth story isn't done yet? I don't want to be left on a cliffhanger waiting for the next

And it looks like my prediction of over 100$ million is coming true. Fuck yea

Gleethor

I'm so glad that a DC movie that doesn't involve superman or batman is doing so well. DC desperately needs to have faith in their other properties instead of greenlighting half a dozen more batman spinoffs

Loxley

I'm so glad that a DC movie that doesn't involve superman or batman is doing so well. DC desperately needs to have faith in their other properties instead of greenlighting half a dozen more batman spinoffs

To give DC credit they absolutely have been embracing their non-Batman characters more and more lately.

8m5EOwx.png

DC will probably always rely more on Batman as a crutch, given that he's far and away their most profitable and recognizable character aside from Superman. However with the success of the Arrowverse and Wonder Woman (and hopefully Aquaman), I'm willing to bet that they'll stop needlessly shoving him (and the Joker) into shows and movies that don't really require him to be there. Since now they have proof that they can release a non-Batman blockbuster and people will go nuts over it (so long as it's, y'know, good).

Wait, does that mean the Rebirth story isn't done yet? I don't want to be left on a cliffhanger waiting for the next

And it looks like my prediction of over 100$ million is coming true. Fuck yea

Rebirth is basically the name of the entire DC line, like The New 52 was. There's arcs that have ended, but the main Rebirth mysteries and storylines are ongoing.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Just so everyone is clear in this thread, when can we start talking about WW without spoiler tagging? I know we have peeps in here from other countries that the movie doesn't open in for a few weeks.

Just so everyone is clear in this thread, when can we start talking about WW without spoiler tagging? I know we have peeps in here from other countries that the movie doesn't open in for a few weeks.

I would say at the very earliest, the 24th. I think it comes out in Germany and a few other places on the 15th. Gotta give people some time to get out and see it.

Today I went grocery shopping and the cashier asks me, "Did you watch it?" I was wearing a Wonder Woman logo shirt, so I knew what she was talking about. I said "yes" (I watched it last night). She asked me how it was, I said it was excellent. She then says that her brother says the movie is "bad"! I was shocked! She sees the look on my face and explains that she means bad as in good. She then tells me she is a Marvel fan and loves Captain America and Iron Man, but she LOVED Batman v. Superman. She especially liked Wonder Woman in that movie! She wants to see Wonder Woman.

She was telling me how her brother said that the showing he went to was packed, and there were people dressed in Wonder Woman related clothing/costumes. I told her she should watch Wonder Woman! Then I left. I do hope she sees it and likes it!

Things that happen when you wear certain clothing!

Today I went grocery shopping and the cashier asks me, "Did you watch it?" I was wearing a Wonder Woman logo shirt, so I knew what she was talking about. I said "yes" (I watched it last night). She asked me how it was, I said it was excellent. She then says that her brother says the movie is "bad"! I was shocked! She sees the look on my face and explains that she means bad as in good. She then tells me she is a Marvel fan and loves Captain America and Iron Man, but she LOVED Batman v. Superman. She especially liked Wonder Woman in that movie! She wants to see Wonder Woman.

She was telling me how her brother said that the showing he went to was packed, and there were people dressed in Wonder Woman related clothing/costumes. I told her she should watch Wonder Woman! Then I left. I do hope she sees it and likes it!

I wore a Batman shirt to the doctors office once and an older woman talked to me for 15 minutes about her grandson's love for Batman and all of his toys and games. It was a pretty amusing conversation to say the least lol.

People still use bad to me good/cool?

I guess so!

I wore a Batman shirt to the doctors office once and an older woman talked to me for 15 minutes about her grandson's love for Batman and all of his toys and games. It was a pretty amusing conversation to say the least lol.

That's awesome! It's always nice to hear about other people's fandom of certain characters.

Unrelated, but another shirt that gets people talking to me is my Wu-Tang Clan one!

J_Viper

I saw Ben Affleck at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Boke1879

I truly hope this movie has a big Saturday.

It's just my local theater of course, but the 4:10 showing here. It just started is packed. The 5:10 showing is over half reserved so far and the 7:15 showing is about half reserved so far.

I'll be going for my 2nd viewing tomorrow after work. It would be so nice if this could crack 1 million.

I wonder if this makes them pull in a woman director for Gotham City Sirens

It would be nice for this movie to kind of open the floodgates. It could be more important to the industry than it already is

Not that I think a female director is necessary for women action movies but they rarely get a shot at it

Ashhong

Just finished a rewatch of BvS and man I still love this movie. It is overly long and a bit too convuluted but the highs of it are really really high. Still appreciate the deeper storyline they went for, even if they didn't nail it 100%. So much potential dammit!

^ speaking of women directors on women action movies. Do you guys think a male director coild have pulled off WW the way it was written here? Because I don't think so. Theres a lot of small touches and details that Patty does that I really don't think a male would have. Is that sexist to think? 🤔

Penguin

It would be nice for this movie to kind of open the floodgates. It could be more important to the industry than it already is

Not that I think a female director is necessary for women action movies but they rarely get a shot at it

I like that, I know Harley is hot stuff right now, but I think DC forgets how popular Catwoman can be

Also love to see a female-director on it, but the next big milestone will be female-director on a male-led comic movie.

Effect

Wasn't able to see it again Friday or today but going again tomorrow morning. Already reserved our seats. Still really enjoyed it looking back on it and thinking about it over it yesterday and toway. Want to wait till my second viewing before deciding where I'll place it on my list. It's such a different film compare to BvS, MoS and SS. SS will still be last out of the four though. I like and enjoy that movie but a lot less then I do MoS and BvS and now WW.

Ross61

Won't happen unless Robbie wants it, she's the whole reason it's even greenlighted.

tim1138

Wonder Woman was just as good the second time. The theater was about 3/4 full for a Saturday matinee and the majority of the audience were girls and women of all ages, which was rad to see.

Just finished a rewatch of BvS and man I still love this movie. It is overly long and a bit too convuluted but the highs of it are really really high. Still appreciate the deeper storyline they went for, even if they didn't nail it 100%. So much potential dammit!

^ speaking of women directors on women action movies. Do you guys think a male director coild have pulled off WW the way it was written here? Because I don't think so. Theres a lot of small touches and details that Patty does that I really don't think a male would have. Is that sexist to think? 🤔

I wouldn't say it's sexist. Between some Patty Jenkins interviews and stories around Cannes, to abbreviate what others have said, there is an authenticity to certain stories when the storyteller shares those experiences. And it's not limited to movies with female leads. It's a natural thing for storytellers to draw on their personal experiences. Reading up on Moonlight and Barry Jenkins, on top of being a great director, his closeness with the material helped elevate it.

Ninjimbo

Just got out of the theater. It felt like a middling movie. It was well made: Gal can carry a movie, Chris Pine was amazing, the action scenes were inventive and cool, and the supporting cast was really strong. It's up there with stuff like Iron Man for me but it doesn't even come close to Batman Begins and Man of Steel when it comes to origin stories.

And clearly it's not even in the same league as BvS. Overall, I was satisfied though. I feel like it's a movie I can watch with my nephews and nieces and that's a really good thing.

Also, just an observation, my AMC joint had 4 different Wonder Woman venues and all of them were packed and it was just the afternoon. It has a ton of hype. I think 100 million is possible.

Boke1879

Just got out of the theater. It felt like a middling movie. It was well made: Gal can carry a movie, Chris Pine was amazing, the action scenes were inventive and cool, and the supporting cast was really strong. It's up there with stuff like Iron Man for me but it doesn't even come close to Batman Begins and Man of Steel when it comes to origin stories.

And clearly it's not even in the same league as BvS. Overall, I was satisfied though. I feel like it's a movie I can watch with my nephews and nieces and that's a really good thing.

Also, just an observation, my AMC joint had 4 different Wonder Woman venues and all of them were packed and it was just the afternoon. It has a ton of hype. I think 100 million is possible.

Just checking online at my AMC as well. The shits been packed at pretty much all showings. Minus like a couple with 2-3 seats not being filled. Hope it leads to a great Saturday and 100 million is possible.

And clearly it's not even in the same league as BvS.
Overall, I was satisfied though. I feel like it's a movie I can watch with my nephews and nieces and that's a really good thing.

Depending on who you ask, that's not totally a bad thing.

Ninjimbo

Depending on who you ask, that's not totally a bad thing.
If you ask me, it's a bad thing. BvS might be the GOAT. I want to see more films like that, but because of how it was received, I probably never will and there's the fact that Snyder is one of a kind. So it really might be once in a lifetime deal when it comes to that movie.

Saw WW last night and loved it. Loved every minute.

Gal performed wonderfully and Pine was great without robbing Gal of hers. Third act wasn't bad, just paced a little faster than it should be.

I'll write a longer review but just wanted to pop in and say I liked it.

Top Bottom