• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Zatanna will be the Harley Quinn of JLD/Dark Universe. Constantine will be the Deadshot. Assuming there aren't big changes by the time it happens.

Superman 3 and 4 had original villains. No one was here for it.

The problem with original villains is that any villain concept you can come up has probably already been done in the comics. Why make my own "evil billionare," "serial killer," or "vindictive god-witch" when Lex Luthor, The Joker, and Circe already exist?

Plus, you have to factor in that 90% of comic book villains are pretty much blank slates that you can switch up if need be. Only the top tier - think Magneto, Red Skull, Luthor - are sacred cows that you would have to adhere pretty close to. No one will care too much if you change up, say, Doctor Psycho to fit the needs of a movie as long as enough of the iconography (short man with psychic powers, in this case) stays. With that in mind, might as well go with a name in the comics that hardcore fans can get excited about, and thus, help drive hype for the movie.

Even some of the upper echelon villains had dramatic reinventions in comics. Like how the Lex Luthor everybody thinks of is Byrne's Lex. Folks were upset about Joker in The Dark Knight being a departure from clown crime boss, until they weren't. There's a lot of wiggle room.

As I said, set her up as a villain, but then become superfriends.
I would just prefer to have her in the monster universe (if that ever comes to fruition) and the batman universe side than have her in wonder woman. It always depends on the execution of course, maybe someone will come up with a perfect plot device to present what you described.

ReiGun

I really hope they don't call that movie Justice League Dark or Dark Universe.

You can't tell me they can't come up with a better name for a team of magic heroes. Call it "Shadowpact" or "Zatanna and the Sentinels of Magic." Hell, steal the name "Outsiders." The "Dark" names are just too plain for me.

Penguin

One thing I'd like to see more of from superhero movies is throwaway villains. Not every villains needs to or should carry a movie.

I'd love it if the next Wonder Woman movie opened with a big, fun fight scene between Diana and someone like Silver Swan or Angle Man. Something to help establish that there are a lot of villains running around.

Flash is a good candidate for that I believe, maybe Batman, too.

Honestly what I thought the beginning of Age of Ultron was gonna be or even Civil War, but kind of nope to both.

Ironically, it is the beginning of Suicide Squad except those villains then become the main characters of the movie.

ReiGun

Slightly on the topic of female heroes, I'm calling Mera being the breakout character of Aquaman. Arthur will probably have his moment in JL, but I can see people walking out of his movie thinking Mera is the best character.

That's assuming, of course, that she gets a significant role and they do her hydrokinesis well.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I really hope they don't call that movie Justice League Dark or Dark Universe.

You can't tell me they can't come up with a better name for a team of magic heroes. Call it "Shadowpact" or "Zatanna and the Sentinels of Magic." Hell, steal the name "Outsiders." The "Dark" names are just too plain for me.

"What, we some kinda....Justice League Dark?"

Shadowpact is a much better name even if it's not inline with DC's typical branding of the team.

Slightly on the topic of female heroes, I'm calling Mera being the breakout character of Aquaman. Arthur will probably have his moment in JL, but I can see people walking out of his movie thinking Mera is the best character.

That's assuming, of course, that she gets a significant role and they do her hydrokinesis well.

She's got a pretty substantial role in Aquaman. And I think Amber Heard did some sword training for JL, so we might see something there.

With how Wan and others have described Aquaman, movie sounds like it'll be Arthur and Mera coming from different places (literally and metaphorically) and bonding over the course of the adventure.

Penguin

Queen! is the breakout in whatever she is in!

"What, we some kinda....Justice League Dark?"

Mini thingie, but to this day not sure why folks had issue with that line in Suicide Squad, but no qualms with Guardians or The Avengers being named in the movie in a somewhat similar manner.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still super curious how they're gonna have the Atlanteans talk underwater. Will it be telepathic using some kind of sound waves like whales/dolphins do? Will they just talk with their mouths and ignore the fact there's water everywhere and it doesn't just block all the sound? Can't wait to see how they handle all these technical hurdles too.

Ashhong

I'm still super curious how they're gonna have the Atlanteans talk underwater. Will it be telepathic using some kind of sound waves like whales/dolphins do? Will they just talk with their mouths and ignore the fact there's water everywhere and it doesn't just block all the sound? Can't wait to see how they handle all these technical hurdles too.

Well the water and stuff is all CG. I expect them just talking underwater

A two hour movie of Aquaman gurgling under water would be a superior film compared to Ant-Man, so why not?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Well the water and stuff is all CG. I expect them just talking underwater
Well I know it's CG water, I'm just saying "in universe" how are they going to approach it? If they do a telepathic route (like how they portray Aquaman is able to "talk" to fish) and we just hear their dialog but their mouths aren't moving, would the audience buy that? Would it be boring?

EDIT - Or a better example... If say, Batman goes underwater with them, he would just hear weird sounds (if he hears anything at all), but the movie audience would hear real words.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

James Wan gave an answer to this.

I love the idea of underwater speaking but with a real sort of sonic, aquatic quality to it. So there's this sort of aquatic, almost sonar/whale thing. Even though it's in a human language, there's this slight sort of underlay to it, this ping to it, which I think would be interesting for us to design from a sound design perspective. Yeah, it will be fun. Also, Zack has some ideas that he'll be doing in Justice League.

What's the likelihood we get something from Aquaman at Comic Con?

Wan is not Snyder so not likely. I think Snyder had about the same time of shooting as Aquaman, maybe 2 or 3 weeks more and he brought the Comic-Con footage. I am only expecting cast photos, tbh.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna say 100%. My Comic Con predictions are...

- Aquaman footage screened for Hall H that will leak out potato cam style later
- Justice League scene or new trailer which will go live to the world after the debut at Hall H
- Zack showing up for the panel and getting a crazy ovation
- I'm 50/50 on whether Joss will be there, only to not take anything away from Zack and unless they have Batgirl stuff to announce, there's no reason for him to be there
- I think they announce release dates for Sirens, Flash, SS2, The Batman, and surprise us with either Green Lantern or MoS2
- Flash director announced and any other director shifting around also announced.

James Wan gave an answer to this.
Fuck yes! That's exactly what I was hoping for.

Likely, I think. It's unknown if Snyder will be there given the news of his loss, but him and co. always show up with a surprise. Last two years we had super early footage of Justice League and Suicide Squad. In 2014, they brought the (unfortunately) never release clip of Batman turning on the signal and Superman showing up in the center, along with the first image of Wonder Woman.

It'll be something small, if anything. At the very least a photo of Black Manta and Ocean Master.

- Justice League scene or new trailer which will go live to the world after the debut at Hall H
- I'm 50/50 on whether Joss will be there, only to not take anything away from Zack and unless they have Batgirl stuff to announce, there's no reason for him to be there
- I think they announce release dates for Sirens, Flash, SS2, The Batman, and surprise us with either Green Lantern or MoS2
- Flash director announced and any other director shifting around also announced.

After Suicide Squad blew up, I can't imagine WB will keep anything SDCC exclusive.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Likely, I think. It's unknown if Snyder will be there given the news of his loss, but him and co. always show up with a surprise. Last two years we had super early footage of Justice League and Suicide Squad. In 2014, they brought the (unfortunately) never release clip of Batman turning on the signal and Superman showing up in the center, along with the first image of Wonder Woman.

It'll be something small, if anything. At the very least a photo of Black Manta and Ocean Master.

After Suicide Squad blew up, I can't imagine WB will keep anything SDCC exclusive.

WB learned and won't withhold footage from viewers at home.

Yeah, I was thinking to say they'd just release all of it, but since it's so early and the underwater stuff will be pretty CG heavy, it might not be "ready" ready to come out in HD on their official channels yet. Unless they show us mostly above water scenes (like where the Mera photos are) and then really quick shots of underwater stuff.

Warner Bros will just upload anything they show. I think they're past the whole Comic Con exclusive after last year where they uploaded everything they showed.

As for the rest, I think we get some announcements on things that will start filming early next year, maybe some dates for those, and maybe a project announcement or two such as a Man of Steel 2 sequel.

I don't think they'll parade out directors they're not 100% committed to at this point, not after last year.

Justice League and Aquaman panels with trailers.

Two hopes for the new JL trailer: more WW and Amazons, no Superman.

You know, I'll give Joss Whedon credit for hiding Vision in Age of Ultron trailers.

Pachimari

X1WTLMV.jpg

WONDER WOMAN Director Patty Jenkins Says Sequel Will Take Place In America

“The story will take place in the U.S., which I think is right. She’s Wonder Woman. She’s got to come to America. It’s time.”

ReiGun

I want Cyborg to come out and break records. Just to see Gaf meltdown.

Teen Titans will happen, I think. Cyborg won't be in it, though. They want to position him into being firmly associated with the League.

Penguin

If Warner wants to make waves and erase some bad press, I'd announce a female director for the Flash

Please Grodd let WB make the right move and announce Cyborg actually being a Titans movie.

I guess we're getting New Mutants, but yeah feel like the whole teenager superhero is an untapped market.

Ross61

Cyborg's days in Teen Titans are over. I want both movies to happen. But I also want proper buildup for Teen Titans. Don't want a SS all over again just to say we did.

ReiGun

I feel like with Titans, it depends on what you wanna do with it. If you want a mostly sidekick affair, you have to build them up. If you want the Titans original characters, just going straight to the team up movie is your best bet.

You can use Batman's solo to establish either Robin or Nightwing, then use him as the focal point of a team that features Beast Boy, Raven, Starfire, and Blue Beetle.

Top Bottom