• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Ninjimbo

My rankings:

BvS>>> MoS >>>>>>>>> WW >>>>>>>>>>>>> SS

I can't put WW above MoS for a lot of reasons. Mostly because MoS felt like a new take on Superman and the highs are super high. There's so much beauty in MoS as well like when Clark learns how to fly or when Martha consoles Clark when he's afraid at school. MoS and Batman Begins are gold standards for origin flicks. WW comes close but I don't sense the depth of filmmaking that I see in the ladder two. Maybe on a rewatch I'll change my mind. But right now, Snyder has the edge over Patti for me tho they're both awesome.

My rankings:

BvS>>> MoS >>>>>>>>> WW >>>>>>>>>>>>> SS

I can't put WW above MoS for a lot of reasons. Mostly because MoS felt like a new take on Superman and the highs are super high. There's so much beauty in MoS as well like when Clark learns how to fly or when Martha consoles Clark when he's afraid at school. MoS and Batman Begins are gold standards for origin flicks. WW comes close but I don't sense the depth of filmmaking that I see in the ladder two. Maybe on a rewatch I'll change my mind. But right now, Snyder has the edge over Patti for me tho they're both awesome.

I can respect that. MoS is what made me a Superman fan. But I feel WW did the character more justice than MoS and that is why my lists goes:

BvS
Wonder Woman
MoS
Slipknot and His Amazing Friends <3

Ashhong

If I am ranking them as just movies, ignoring faithfulness to the character, I would rank it as

BVS >>> MOS > WW

WW was a solid, if not great movie. I just really love what they have done with Superman/Batman. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I don't care about the history of the character very much, so it works out for me

BvS > WW

don't care for man of steel and suicide squad tbh. although there are elements in Man of Steel that I love like the Kents, Zod and the soundtrack.

Sheroking

Oh cool I wonder what's going on in this thread... oh. Oh wow. I didn't realize you guys actually existed?!

Great:
Wonder Woman

Okay with problems:
Man of Steel

Incredibly bad:
Suicide Squad
Batman v Superman.

BvS and WW hit different marks for me. Both top five superhero movies of this superhero movie boom/cinematic universe period.

I appreciate ideas from MoS but it doesn't come together as a whole for me. When I see the usual complaints about the destruction and killing Zod, I'm cool with all that. My problems are with how messily they're telling the story.

Suicide Squad is of a poor quality.

Ashhong

Oh cool I wonder what's going on in this thread... oh. Oh wow. I didn't realize you guys actually existed?!

Great:
Wonder Woman

Okay with problems:
Man of Steel

Incredibly bad:
Suicide Squad
Batman v Superman.

I refuse to believe you put BvS in the same category as SS. For the life of me I can't figure out why people think that movie is that bad. I could see some dislike and criticism but...goddamn the hatred for it.

IconGrist

I refuse to believe you put BvS in the same category as SS. For the life of me I can't figure out why people think that movie is that bad. I could see some dislike and criticism but...goddamn the hatred for it.

Now, now. Remember there are some people who legitimately love Suicide Squad and rank it highest among the DCEU. People have their preferences.

You talking about people who actually like BvS and consider it a good movie or the community thread in general?

I'm going to assume the latter. Your opening there is a bit hostile, lol.

Pachimari

1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Ultimate Cut
2. Wonder Woman
3. Man of Steel
4. Suicide Squad

I feel Wonder Woman was much easier to digest than Man of Steel, which took me 3 tries to somewhat appreciate.

Cheebo

Banned

BvS is without question by far and away the worst Batman film ever made. Batman & Robin at least is entertaining in a stupid way. BvS has a terrible script, poorly directed, and a complete disaster of a blockbuster film at every level. You really can't see why the movie was hated by critics and disliked by audiences (it's god awful box office legs is clear evidence audiences hated it for the most part)?

There is a reason audiences and critics love Wonder Woman but hated BvS. One was well made and entertaining, the other was a dumpster fire.

Ranking:

Great:
Wonder Woman

Ok but with a few issues:
Man of Steel

Unwatchable:
Batman v Superman
Suicide Squad.

Ahasverus

BvS is without question by far and away the worst Batman film ever made.
If people question that, then it's not without question.

BvS UC is a great genre film with great deconstructive, existential depth, that will be talked about for decades. It's the Watchmen of super hero movies.

This very long, very informative Mark Hughes article about the JL reshoots help clarify a few things.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhu...-rumors-spread-amid-new-filming/#77a88dcad418

He also says they rolled JL 1 and 2 into one, and that Batman was rewritten to align him up with his solo movie.

Exciting!

I'm wondering if they managed to shrink it down to one movie by removing the "Knightmare" plot line and not having evil Superman (in this movie at least). Keeping it simple and going for a more optimistic plot and making Supes more of a positive character based on past criticisms.

Also, movie quality order:

SS* > BvS >>> WW** = MoS >>>>>>>> SS

* What Suicide Squad COULD have been without shit editing, soundtrack whiplash and altering the Joker slightly.
** Whilst I had better impressions from Wonder Woman after walking out of the cinema, compared to initial impressions of MoS, MoS actually grew on me a lot with subsequent viewings, whereas part of me feels that Wonder Woman isn't going to hold up as much for me when I watch it again (can't tell for sure yet though). So for now, I'm placing them next to each other.

Boke1879

The actual general public see it that way. This thread is a little bubble of the only people who actual like let alone even remember BvS lol.

I mean that's their personal opinion. Maybe they enjoyed BvS more, maybe they like it more than WW I'd disagree but it a harmless opinion.

But I think to say BvS is unwatchable can be hyperbole. It's a flawed film, but it's not like you can't follow the plot or know what's going on.

I think SS I by and far the worst of these movies but audiences seemed to like it more than people give it credit for.

Saying people are in a "bubble" in here is a bit combative imo. Most here know those movies aren't received well, but they do like them. They are here because it really the only place to discuss the movie without the thread devolving into shit and joke posts.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I like ranking things too.

1. Wonder Woman
2. Man of Steel
3. Batman v Superman
4. Suicide Squad

Suicide Squad being the only one I don't like, that movie is really bad on a rewatch.

Yager

Banned
Wonder Woman is far-and-away the best film out of these things. Ya'll need Jesus.

But we already have it bruh

ManOfSteel-Christ-476.jpg

superman.gif

FullSizeRender-4-540x252.jpg

supermanjesus.jpg

Ahasverus

I'm wondering if they managed to shrink it down to one movie by removing the "Knightmare" plot line and not having evil Superman (in this movie at least). Keeping it simple and going for a more optimistic plot and making Supes more of a positive character based on past criticisms.
I sure hope so! But I also hope they don't handwave the knightmare. Otherwise it would taint BvS forever.

jrush64

Banned
Anyone that says BvS ins unwatchable, can never take that opinion seriously. It's hyperbole bs cranked up to the max and we all know how much Neogaf loves that.

WhiteWolf

I got called in to work minutes after my showing this afternoon so I haven't had a chance to really sit down and formulate my thoughts but I do know (as of one viewing, I will see it again this Sunday) where I place it among the other DCEU movies.

1. Batman v Superman (Ultimate Edition)
2. Man of Steel/Wonder Woman
3 (but more like the worth of a 3 on a 1-10 scale but if that doesn't make sense than imagine this 3 is really like this is where I would rank something even if it was the only movie on a list so it still came in third when there was no second or first entry). Suicide Squad
I agree with this ranking, with MoS a bit above WW.

Raptor

The movie is a mess straight up.

Bae and I tried to get drunk and hate-watch Suicide Squad this weekend, for funsies.

We made it about 20 minutes before turning off the movie and putting away the booze. Fucking christ, it was way too hard.

IconGrist

Bae and I tried to get drunk and hate-watch Suicide Squad this weekend, for funsies.

We made it about 20 minutes before turning off the movie and putting away the booze. Fucking christ, it was way too hard.

Some of you guys are weird. I do not like Suicide Squad at all but I can sit through it with no issue, lol.

Raptor

It was so fuckign bad you guys didnt continued drinking and got depressed lmao.

Overall I have to say I'm happy with all the DCEU films except Suicide Squad, everytime I watch it Leto gets on my nerves, the world building scenes are the best thing about that movie for me.

Penguin

CLEARLY someone wasn't drinking properly because I've made it through literal hundreds of terrible movies with booze!

Vyer

MoS was a disappointment, but not as much of one as BvS. SS is just so poorly constructed. Wonder Woman is better than any of them on pretty much every level, save for a few Snyder action poses that make awesome comic book covers.

WW >>> MoS >>>>>>BvS/SS

Top Bottom