• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

It's not gonna be as nihilistic as BvS (or nihilistic at all really). It looks like a usual "heroes team up and fight a bunch of henchmen" movie with a lot less to juggle on its plate character/plot wise so I think it's an absolute guarantee it will be better received than BvS already

Prolly Man of Steel levels or slightly better

Disagree that Snyder's unfortunate news about his family will effect reviews tho. People can still shit on his stuff. Being personal with the attacks on his character would be distasteful for sure though. But only some reviewers ever did that before. And YouTube/geek bloggers but who gives a shit about those wasters tbh

Ashhong

It's Snyder so it's going to be divisive. Since when has he ever done anything that was received with unanimous with praise? I expect something close to a MoS reception. No way in hell does it get the hate BvS got. I just don't think anyone has the knives out to tear it apart this time around especially with the tragic circumstances surrounding Zack's departure.

If the film is bad, people will call it a disappointment and move on to the next one. No one will dwell on it too much since it will probably be Snyder's last film in the franchise.
Personally, I don't care. I just want a classic Snyder film. His vision has to see it through to the end. It's been like 7 years.

Snyder has never really tried to make a movie like JL though. I feel like this movie, more than ever before, is created to appeal to the masses. I'm not saying it's going to be jokey and mainstream, it can still be his style. But the whole premise of JL and heroes being heroes is something he has never really had to do.

Sort of expecting JL to be received like X-Men Apocalypse or at best Age of Ultron.

And likewise I'm thinking BvS to JL, for my tastes, will be another DoFP to Apocalypse.

Hoping to be wrong about that. Wonder Woman really surprised me after having tepid expectations as well.

Ninjimbo

Disagree that Snyder's unfortunate news about his family will effect reviews tho. People can still shit on his stuff. Being personal with the attacks on his character would be distasteful for sure though. But only some reviewers ever did that before. And YouTube/geek bloggers but who gives a shit about those wasters tbh
I think people will shit on it, but I don't think it's going to be as vitriolic is what I mean. You won't see A.O. Scott write another essay eviscerating Hollywood and Snyder, basically. I think the time to take a dump on this movies came and went with BvS if you ask me.

Snyder has never really tried to make a movie like JL though. I feel like this movie, more than ever before, is created to appeal to the masses. I'm not saying it's going to be jokey and mainstream, it can still be his style. But the whole premise of JL and heroes being heroes is something he has never really had to do.
There's some truth to this, but I don't think Snyder has it in him to go full crowd pleaser and make something generic. He's a film buff at heart and his interests are in deconstruction and bringing something new to the table. All of his films are filled with WTF moments. I think it's going to be there in JL if Whedon honors his vision which I think he will.

I'm with the opening until he started to float up

If only I had a recording of my internal thought process when that moment happened. Something along the line of "umm.. what is... OK, I guess this is where we're going with this.. Is this a dream? I fucking hope so cause otherwise the DCEU just got really weird.."

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
If only I had a recording of my internal thought process when that moment happened. Something along the line of "umm.. what is... OK, I guess this is where we're going with this.. Is this a dream? I fucking hope so cause otherwise the DCEU just got really weird.."
Hahahah that was almost my exact same line of thinking. Once Bruce says, "In the dream..." I was like WHEW! Glad we weren't going in that other direction.

Peru

Read about the improvised scenes in WW. That's a great choice by Patty. The two actors seemed to have off-screen chemistry and playing off that to get natural banter is beautiful.

Ninjimbo

Group of super human characters band together to face overwhelming odds = 300

300 is a straight up blockbuster. Snyder's done it before bros.
Nah. 300 is almost like a passion project: cast of unknowns, based on an obscure comic, Rated R with nudity and over the top violence, etc. The fact that it became the hit it did caught everyone by surprise.

Ashhong

Group of super human characters band together to face overwhelming odds = 300

300 is a straight up blockbuster. Snyder's done it before bros.

You are ignoring the rest of my post if you actually believe that 300 = JL in the way that I explained it.

J_Viper

Nah. 300 is almost like a passion project: cast of unknowns, based on an obscure comic, Rated R with nudity and over the top violence, etc. The fact that it became the hit it did caught everyone by surprise.

Did it really?

That's strange, I figured an insane action movie like 300 would've been expected to do well from the start.

I mean, I was only in tenth grade at the time, but I remember a ton of hype for it around its release.

You are ignoring the rest of my post if you actually believe that 300 = JL in the way that I explained it.

As far as the "heroes being heroes thing, you've got a point, but in terms making a film that audiences responded well to, 300 is Snyder's greatest success. It's paced well, has a ton of action, and the visuals are insane. I think he has it in him to pull it off again.

Loxley

Did it really?

That's strange, I figured an insane action movie like 300 would've been expected to do well from the start.

If I remember correctly, Legendary was so surprised at how well 300 did that they gave Snyder a car as a bonus "thank you".

Sort of expecting JL to be received like X-Men Apocalypse or at best Age of Ultron.

And likewise I'm thinking BvS to JL, for my tastes, will be another DoFP to Apocalypse.

Hoping to be wrong about that. Wonder Woman really surprised me after having tepid expectations as well.

Yeah I'm feeling that as well sadly. The aquaman and flash scenes look dope tho so hopefully at least the action is good

Our only example of something like this is the first two Avengers flicks and I'm sure Snyder can top the action in that so I'm excited for those scenes at least. And more of Bruce and Diana

300 is in this uncomfortable space for me where I enjoy it on an aesthetic and dudebro sorta level, but if I think about it at all it starts looking suuuuuper alt-right.

So there's that.

My take in 300 is that it's a good and faithful adaptation of a comic I don't like. The original sequel Snyder wrote with others is dramatically less Frank Miller-y and had potential to be better, but it's a worse made movie than 300. It's tough to reconcile all that.

It's funny for how Snyder seems all about Frank Miller, when he has the creative license he kinda deconstructs Miller's ideas. Like having The Dark Knight Returns Batman be a villain and Bruce at his worst.

I'm not blaming it on Snyder, it's a faithful adaptation of a Frank Miller book. Snyder loves Miller's visuals and communicates them extremely effectively, but Miller's stories are by any modern standard super fucking problematic.

My take in 300 is that it's a good and faithful adaptation of a comic I don't like. The original sequel Snyder wrote with others is dramatically less Frank Miller-y and had potential to be better, but it's a worse made movie than 300. It's tough to reconcile all that.

It's funny for how Snyder seems all about Frank Miller, when he has the creative license he kinda deconstructs Miller's ideas. Like having The Dark Knight Returns Batman be a villain and Bruce at his worst.

Basically this. I haven't seen the 300 sequel so I can't comment on what that changes, but I'm in total agreement on BvS Batman being a) TDKR bats and b) a major villain of the flick.

Ninjimbo

300 is in this uncomfortable space for me where I enjoy it on an aesthetic and dudebro sorta level, but if I think about it at all it starts looking suuuuuper alt-right.

So there's that.
Snyder said something along the lines of wanting the movie to come off looking like it was a story being told around a campfire. Considering how the narrator is a soldier who served under Leonidas in the movie, you can think of the movie as Spartan propaganda. If you look at it like that, suddenly the hyper reality of the movie makes a lot of sense. He's embellishing every single detail.

"Yeah, we rushed into combat with only our underwear! 300 Spartans took out a thousand Persians! The Persians are deformed monsters and we're manly men."

So yeah, I kind of agree on some level. It is a Frank Miller story as well.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Patty doing an AMA on Reddit right now

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/6gc5mp/i_am_patty_jenkins_director_of_monster_and_wonder/
how much influence did Zack or Geoff John's have on the movie? Would you be interested in a bigger role in the DCEU than director ? everyone did sooo well in WW so congratulations!!!
Since Diana is a modern woman by the time BvS rolls around here is a question I ask most modern women: What is her go to karaoke song ? Do you have a go-to Karaoke song?

I think Zack mostly had an influence in getting things back in order to be a good origin story, and then Geoff and I worked super closely to work on the script and the story and Zack was a great producer, but creatively they gave me the reins.

I'm open to anything in the DCEU but mostly I just love making Wonder Woman.

Mine would be "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey and hers would "To Be Human" by Sia (from our movie)!
So yes, Johns was very much involved with WW, we can put that to bed now.

I don't know why everyone thinks the lighter, more fun tone of Justice League means it's automatically going to be an empty popcorn film that lacks any and all subtext or isn't about anything. I mean, Wonder Woman certainly isn't that.

Suicide Squad was tho

ReiGun

I don't know why everyone thinks the lighter, more fun tone of Justice League means it's automatically going to be an empty popcorn film that lacks any and all subtext or isn't about anything. I mean, Wonder Woman certainly isn't that.

Suicide Squad was tho

Synder loves him some subtext and themes. May not effectively communicate them, but he doesn't make movies about nothing.

Even if the theme this time is as simple as "Teamwork is awesome!" he'll make sure that's all over the movie.

Patty doing an AMA on Reddit right now

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/6gc5mp/i_am_patty_jenkins_director_of_monster_and_wonder/

So yes, Johns was very much involved with WW, we can put that to bed now.

Very excited to see a number of things, Baby Driver being the next one coming up, but also

Spider-Man: Homecoming
Justice League
Thor: Ragnarok

I also can't wait to see Ava DuVernay's A Wrinkle In Time.

Patty doing pro bono marketing for Baby Driver.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, she skipped over my question. Thought I had a chance with that one. Was asking about Diana's power levels compared to Superman and how much it grew during the movie.

a916

Suicide Squad was tho

Like with every movie, people shouldn't judge the movie too much based on the trailer. But the trailers are heavily slanted towards the "HEY WE GOT JOKES TOO". Just do your own thing. WW wasn't like that but still had clever funny moments.

Ashhong

Like with every movie, people shouldn't judge the movie too much based on the trailer. But the trailers are heavily slanted towards the "HEY WE GOT JOKES TOO". Just do your own thing. WW wasn't like that but still had clever funny moments.

I disagree..WW trailers had a lot of jokes thrown in. At least as many as the JL trailers. Going by just trailers, they seem very similar. People were crying about how WW was going to be too silly based on those trailers

Seeing the JL trailer again with WW, it dawned on me that all the batmobile scenes are likely one long connected sequence. Parts where WW knocks parademons off the car and Aquaman jumps off keep the POV on the batmobile.

Seeing the JL trailer again with WW, it dawned on me that all the batmobile scenes are likely one long connected sequence. Parts where WW knocks parademons off the car and Aquaman jumps off keep the POV on the batmobile.

One long take with the batmobile tearing through everyone and the rest of the league doing their thing as the vehicle rushes by would be cool

That little shot of wonder woman taking out the parademons giving Batman some support was cool in the trailer

DaveH

Stream of consciousness...

Via Twitter Via Vero:
uoqBgBV.jpg

favPUPR.jpg

This exchange was on or about March 7, 2017. Zack would have been toiling away on JL. This would have been after he hand-picked Joss to help tweak scenes, dialog, etc. because he knows how to collaborate and knows Joss is a master of a certain tone (humor, sentimentality, etc). Zack might have seen rough cuts of WW and definitely knew the story (Patty's said, repeatedly, that the script was steady and unchanging once they started), the angle, the flavor, and the feelings it was aiming for. He'd probably felt Patty and Geoff's excitement and knew he wanted some of that in his film as well (it was always going to get there, but knows Joss can translate it to screen more accessibly than he has in the past).

So he's completely sincere on March 7th, that he wants Justice League Superman to feel true, inspire, and be beautiful... and he's doing everything in his power to do it. Outsourcing regardless of the narratives some might make of it, because he wants to deliver that in his capstone.

Five days later... his daughter is taken from him.

It's a heartbreaking tragedy to imagine wanting to finally bring something always intended to be hopeful, light, and optimistic... only to be slammed with such real-life darkness. Two things stolen at once... and the one thing where you poured all your heart and soul and passion into it just prior... suddenly a completely meaningless thing by comparison to the loss of the other.

----

I know MOS and BvS are considered dark and inaccessible to a lot of people, but they're tinged with the tragedy of reality that life isn't always fair or just or deserving, and we persevere anyways. It drives me a little nuts that Johns, who broke out as a writer with retcons and kicking over sacred cows (challenging the status quo), now spouts superhero platitudes all the time in interviews... and it's seeped into his writing as nostalgic pandering to romanticized versions of the characters (that maybe never were) to reinforce the status quo... which, I guess, is the natural evolution once you become "the man" you stop challenging it. To me, he's sincere, he's actually drunk the Kool-Aid on his approach. I like to think that he rubbed off on Jenkins in so far as she recognizes the power and appeal of his rhetoric... which is why she now spouts it in all her interviews for Wonder Woman... but knows better in real life, which is why the actual execution of the film wasn't as cheesy or ham-fisted or cliche as Geoff's platitudes... even when the day is won by some vague belief in love. Ugh.

Basically, if Snyder is too depressingly real and Johns is too saccharine... then it's good to have a balance of both, a push and pull... Snyder paired with Joss... the director of Monster (starring a serial killing rape victim) paired with Johns... etc. People keep cheering the positive aspects of Wonder Woman but they're only resonant because Snyder created a hunger for it and set the stage for it (with his prior films and his influence on WW), which he ultimately meant to deliver on with Justice League. If MOS or BvS had been as light as Superman '78, there's no way Jenkins would have been allowed to do the film she did nor would it have received the reception it got.

We know this because of all the preceding attempts at Wonder Woman. Before there was MOS or BvS setting the stage with the appropriate dramatic lighting, dimmed down so a spotlight could shine... the preceding Supermen films were light and unreal, so the WB kept chasing inauthentic, insincere, radically reworked visions of Wonder Woman... from Joss, to NBC's pilot, to MacLaren's talking tigers, and so on. Only because Snyder did something so radical and challenging and dark in his take, did it force them to just look for the most straight-forwards, honest, sincere (if safe) take on Wonder Woman with minimal diversion... but even that could be too cheesy and ring untrue if Snyder hadn't pushed for a dark setting more morally ambiguous and more disquieting than tradition. The original WW in WW2 is too pure, patriotic, and jingoistic if fighting the almost comically evil Nazis where she's morally justified to the utmost and completely unquestionable. That push and pull between the ideals of the original mythos against the ambiguity, darkness, and mess of WWI make her more real and substantive and interesting, instead of pollyannaish... a chance to actually test, challenge, and ultimately affirm her beliefs with nuance, instead of absolutism.

This isn't to take away anything from Jenkins actually doing the work and executing her vision, simply stating that the opportunity and timing owe a great debt to Snyder no matter how controversial or distasteful to some. Even the exact same product would have been received differently if it followed different films (imagine if it came out immediately after First Avenger)... timing and hunger, a stage set, matters.

I hope that they don't forget that the significance of catching Hope in Pandora's box is it's set against all the evil loosed upon the world... not just Pandora admiring all the light and good of hope in isolation.

Just saw Wondie a second time and I'm kinda surprised how much more I enjoyed it. Also at the end of the movie there was a really funny audience reaction...

When Diana reads the letter Bruce sent her, some little girl behind me asked her parents: "Whose Bruce Wayne?" and I giggled.

Peru

Patty has said many times now, last time in AMA, how hard / closely she worked on the story prior to shooting. Wonder why she didn't have a story credit?

Just saw Wondie a second time and I'm kinda surprised how much more I enjoyed it. Also at the end of the movie there was a really funny audience reaction...

When Diana reads the letter Bruce sent her, some little girl behind me asked her parents: "Whose Bruce Wayne?" and I giggled.
Parenting at its finest.

Watching the Black Panther trailer again, the stretch from February 2017 to February 2018 is shaping up to be the best year for comic movies. If only for Logan, Wonder Woman, and Black Panther. Thor Ragnarok and Justice League are extra.

J_Viper

Watching the Black Panther trailer again, the stretch from February 2017 to February 2018 is shaping up to be the best year for comic movies. If only for Logan, Wonder Woman, and Black Panther. Thor Ragnarok and Justice League are extra.

2018 seems like a damn fine year altogether for CBMs. The only disappointment is having to wait so long for Aquaman.

Odoul

It is cool seeing properties on the big screen that have never been done before.

Aquaman and Black Panther though...As much as I'm looking forward to them they both look so cheap.

It is cool seeing properties on the big screen that have never been done before.

Aquaman and Black Panther though...As much as I'm looking forward to them they both look so cheap.

How on earth does this look cheap? And how on earth can you even say that of Aquaman when you've seen zero footage?

Top Bottom