• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Odoul

How on earth does this look cheap? And how on earth can you even say that of Aquaman when you've seen zero footage?

No footage for Aquaman has been released...

Mera's costume. And AM's supposed gold top leak.

I know they're early but this
mera-in-aquaman-movie-997353.jpg
is like 3 steps down from this.

As for BP I know Marvel movies looking like television shows on the big screen gets thrown around but everything from when he tosses a guy against a Jeep just doesn't look..."big" enough. Coming off Thor 2 I had no excitement for the sequel but Ragnarok is only a couple months earlier and that managed to look stylish and exciting.

IDK I wasn't really taken with any of Wonder Woman's trailers and I ended up liking that enough.

Mera's costume. And AM's supposed gold top leak.

I know they're early but this

is like 3 steps down from this.

As for BP I know Marvel movies looking like television shows on the big screen gets thrown around but everything from when he tosses a guy against a Jeep just doesn't look..."big" enough. Coming off Thor 2 I had no excitement for the sequel but Ragnarok is only a couple months earlier and that managed to look stylish and exciting.

IDK I wasn't really taken with any of Wonder Woman's trailers and I ended up liking that enough.

That's a set photo, not footage from the film.

And fwiw, I like the Aquaman version more than the JL version.

MisterHero

Geoff wrote some of my favorite Superman with Gary Frank but he also wrote New 52 Justice League feat. Jobberseid.

He's not immune to rush jobs

BadAss2961

It is cool seeing properties on the big screen that have never been done before.

Aquaman and Black Panther though...As much as I'm looking forward to them they both look so cheap.
If there's one problem the DCEU doesn't have, it's making cheap looking movies. Can't mistake them with Marvel's mishmash of TV quality production/design and blockbuster CGI.

Geoff wrote some of my favorite Superman with Gary Frank but he also wrote New 52 Justice League feat. Jobberseid.

He's not immune to rush jobs

If you're talking about the first arc, that was apparently ghostwritten by Jim Lee.

If you're talking about Darkseid War, stfu that was baller as fuck.

If there's one problem the DCEU doesn't have, it's making cheap looking movies. Can't mistake them with Marvel's mishmash of TV quality production/design and blockbuster CGI.

There hasn't been a cheap looking Marvel movie since Ant-Man. Let's cool it with the fanboyisms.

I see that and raise you all: The Entirety of Suicide Squad. :p

Real-talk though, I don't see anything in Civil War as being weaker than some stuff in Wonder Woman.

Though like, that's whatever. I think iffy CGI is almost always a nitpick, at least personally. It takes some pretty trash-tier stuff to take me out of the story-telling.

At least personally, shitty production design, cinematography, and costuming, are what give a film a "cheap" look to me more than the CGI, typically. Like, Fantastic Four, Suicide Squad, Ant-Man (though I like that film), those are some examples of what I'd call cheap-looking CBMs. Most films in the MCU and DCEU look fine to me, Gotg 2 was downright gorgeous in parts.

Penguin

I don't think Suicide Squad looks cheap, it looks... grungy. I mean style he was going for, but everything just seems beat up and dirty

Affleck's Tecmo Bowl shirt is the best. Shame it's the Patriots.

He also posted something about Adam West. RIP.

West talked about wanting to cameo in The Batman, and it might've happened seeing how Affleck was a big fan of the show.

BadAss2961

There hasn't been a cheap looking Marvel movie since Ant-Man. Let's cool it with the fanboyisms.
That was just 3 movies ago out of like 15. lol

And i'd still disagree. I don't feel like getting into it now, but a lot of Marvel's sets and costume designs are suspect to laughable for such big budget movies. Civil War's all cloudy and stages its showcase battle at a gray airport for some reason. The people in Strange, Guardians, and in Wakanda look as silly in the films as they do on set even after post. It's like they're all recycling from the same crappy source.

The special effects guys will put in work, but Marvel's filming is on some Syfy shit for the most part. My little niece was watching XD (some Disney channel), and they were showing a special on Homecoming with a lot of the school scenes. And I couldn't help but think how much the whole thing looked like it could've been one of those school based shows on one of those networks. It really fit in.

Loxley

I swear whoever releases these Affleck pics only release the ones that make him look the worst. Like mid blink or some shit, lol.

That's basically the point of the paparazzi. They deliberately use cameras with huge, bright flashes to get their target to blink. That way they have a photo they can sell to tabloids who can then slap on the headline "BATFLECK LOOKIN' TIRED AND HIGH AS A KITE IN LA LAST NIGHT! HIS DIVORCE IS KILLING HIM!".

Pachimari

And i'd still disagree. I don't feel like getting into it now, but a lot of Marvel's sets and costume designs are suspect to laughable for such big budget movies. The people in Strange, Guardians, and in Wakanda look as silly in the films as they do on set even after post. It's like they're all recycling from the same crappy source.

This is just so fucking wrong on so many levels that it's laughable. I'll give you the airport scene and probably a few other scenes in Civil War, but talk about taking it to the extremes here.

IconGrist

This is just so fucking wrong on so many levels that it's laughable. I'll give you the airport scene and probably a few other scenes in Civil War, but talk about taking it to the extremes here.

Marvel's costumes are generally pretty bland. So far only Winter Soldier has been really worth a damn.

Ninjimbo

I finally saw Strange the other day, and for the most part it looked pretty good. The CGI was suspect as hell towards the ladder parts of the movie, but I don't know if it's ever going to look right when you have that much CGI going on. The people who were talking about the special effects being some god tier stuff were exaggerating a bit though. I saw people comparing it to the Matrix and I just can't agree with that. It was fine.

IconGrist

I finally saw Strange the other day, and for the most part it looked pretty good. The CGI was suspect as hell towards the ladder parts of the movie, but I don't know if it's ever going to look right when you have that much CGI going on. The people who were talking about the special effects being some god tier stuff were exaggerating a bit though. I saw people comparing it to the Matrix and I just can't agree with that. It was fine.

It all looked rather cheap to me actually. I do some light work with 3D spaces and objects as a hobby so while I'm not an expert I understand the basics and Strange had some really cheap effects going on. A lot of the warped world effects were lazy.

Dominator

I just watched Man of Steel again, only the second time I've ever seen it since it came out on theaters.

Fuck that's a good movie. I remember actively disliking it after watching it the first time, which is why I never watched it again but I'm glad I gave it another chance. Some iffy dialogue but other than that its great. DCEU is 3/4 so far for me, loving this universe.

Only downer is Suicide Squad, what a piece of shit that is. I watched that again recently also and subsequent viewings just make it worse, and hell, thats the opposite of MoS for me. I really liked it the first time. I was blinded by something, I don't even know what. Seen it three times since that first time and its just terrible.

This is why I find talking about comic book films online so fucking hard. It's hard to take an argument in good faith when there's a fairly transparent veneer of fanboyish "us vs them" stuff permeating a lot of conversations. It's not limited to DC fans, by any means. You see it just as much with Marvel fans talking about some of the great Fox films, like Logan. It's frustrating to take part in a conversation about these things when you can't parse if an opinion is genuine, or based out of a desire to see your personal favorite mega-corporation do better than the others.

Personally, I think Marvel, Fox, and WB are all putting out some fantastic work right now. It's an amazing time to be a fan of these movies, and I'm here for all of it! :D

BadAss2961

This is why I find talking about comic book films online so fucking hard. It's hard to take an argument in good faith when there's a fairly transparent veneer of fanboyish "us vs them" stuff permeating a lot of conversations. It's not limited to DC fans, by any means. You see it just as much with Marvel fans talking about some of the great Fox films, like Logan. It's frustrating to take part in a conversation about these things when you can't parse if an opinion is genuine, or based out of a desire to see your personal favorite mega-corporation do better than the others.

Personally, I think Marvel, Fox, and WB are all putting out some fantastic work right now. It's an amazing time to be a fan of these movies, and I'm here for all of it! :D
Only speaking for myself, it's less of an us vs them thing and more of a Marvel Studios is garbage thing. I've thought so for the longest.

I fuck with other Marvel products and movies.

Ninjimbo

It all looked rather cheap to me actually. I do some light work with 3D spaces and objects as a hobby so while I'm not an expert I understand the basics and Strange had some really cheap effects going on. A lot of the warped world effects were lazy.
That's the stuff that didn't look so good to me. I thought the sets and the costumes were mostly on point. But the warped stuff especially towards the end looked spotty.

I just watched Man of Steel again, only the second time I've ever seen it since it came out on theaters.

Fuck that's a good movie. I remember actively disliking it after watching it the first time, which is why I never watched it again but I'm glad I gave it another chance. Some iffy dialogue but other than that its great. DCEU is 3/4 so far for me, loving this universe.

Only downer is Suicide Squad, what a piece of shit that is. I watched that again recently also and subsequent viewings just make it worse, and hell, thats the opposite of MoS for me. I really liked it the first time. I was blinded by something, I don't even know what. Seen it three times since that first time and its just terrible.
Can confirm that SS deserves that assessment.

IMG_0788.jpg

So I'm guessing Ben isn't involved in reshoots?

his face when he found out the Xbox One X price.

anyways I know it's overkill for the man to go from Fox to Marvel to DC all in the span of a couple years but that Black Panther trailer (best mcu shit since Iron Man maybe? looks poppin) pretty much reconfirmed my stance on wanting Michael B Jordan as NIghtwing.

I'm imagining the dude stepping up to Batfleck on back and forths and man shit would be massive, dude is great at playing the mentored dude (Friday Night Lights, Creed)

if they cast some bum ass loser like Zac Efron then keep him out of the Batman movie pls and just stick to Nightwing.

Michael B Jordan as Nightwing would be incredible. Those Fantastic Four movies ain't going nowhere and he's a villain in Black Panther. And I know it's said with every single Marvel Studios movie, but dude has more presence in those two or three shots than the rest do in their full movies.

And some better recent pictures of Affleck,

Ross61

Michael B Jordan is so average to me. He never really disappears into roles. Him and Cooger are a winning combo tho, Plus WB already wants him for another franchise. And it's not like Batman isn't gonna be a series with sequels so it's useless to think that the Batfamily won't be heavily in them Disco lol.

Michael B Jordan as Nightwing would be incredible. Those Fantastic Four movies ain't going nowhere and he's a villain in Black Panther. And I know it's said with every single Marvel Studios movie, but dude has more presence in those two or three shots than the rest do in their full movies.

right? its weird. like there have been plenty of good actors in mcu as villains, a number of them are much better actors than MBJ too (Guy Pearce, Jeff Bridges etc.)

but this dude just comes across as somebody potentially more interesting (and mean looking) than those bad guys in these few shots alone. Coogler gets good stuff out of him so I think he might pull this one off.

and yeah there's a few other dudes who I think could be a good Dick Grayson, but MBJ would be top pick imo. I wonder what that prospective cast list is looking like and if its even moving at the moment. Maybe he'll be introduced in the Batman or something.

J_Viper

MBJ is the man, it'd be cool to see him in DC, but I still think Zac Attack is the best choice for Nightwing, if he shows up.

his face when he found out the Xbox One X price.

Holy fuck LOL

Wtf he's actually smiling in that second pic

They're gonna give it to Armie Hammer so he can replace Bruce as Bats.
I'd like Armie as Bats, but he's gotta be Bruce. I don't ever seem them dropping Bruce Wayne from their universe, even if they have to recast

BadAss2961

Michael B Jordan is so average to me. He never really disappears into roles. Him and Cooger are a winning combo tho, Plus WB already wants him for another franchise. And it's not like Batman isn't gonna be a series with sequels so it's useless to think that the Batfamily won't be heavily in them Disco lol.
I agree about MBJ. He's alright, just not a good lead in my opinion.

A black Dick (heh) would be interesting, but I can't think of many actors in that age bracket.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

Gotta say that looks like Bruce Wayne doing some awesome charity work.

Hope Affleck pulls through with his treatment dude is committed to doing stuff like this, I can't make fun of someone that does this kind of stuff and is having a shitty time in his life right now.

Batjag

I'd like Armie as Bats, but he's gotta be Bruce. I don't ever seem them dropping Bruce Wayne from their universe, even if they have to recast

I agree with this. It's well established that audiences have no problem accepting a new Bruce Wayne every few films, but Batman has to be Bruce.

To me it's like replacing the character of James Bond with a different character for 007 when an actor retires from the role.

007=James Bond
Batman=Bruce Wayne

Replace actors whenever necessary.

IconGrist

Speaking of Batman I watched The Lego Batman Movie last night. Outside of a few funny moments it was pretty mediocre. Nowhere near as fun as The Lego Movie.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Batman I watched The Lego Batman Movie last night. Outside of a few funny moments it was pretty mediocre. Nowhere near as fun as The Lego Movie.
I agree 100%. I was so bored when I saw it in the theatre. And I fucking loved the LEGO Movie. The LEGO Batman movie felt very lazy to me and I just wanted it to end. Felt like there was 3 endings in that movie.

Same here, it was pretty standard to me, and Batman's grumpy attitude got old after a while, I think he worked best in small dosis as a secondary character in the Lego Movie

Top Bottom