• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

It would be like John Williams scoring this... it's a very classical style without the "oomph" that Zimmer/Junkie bring.
And I feel the opposite, Zimmer and Junkie are mostly style with no oomph

People put modern Elfman down as forgettable but I feel Zimmer is far more forgettable as half the time he doesn't seem to care.

20-inch Justice League Big Figs from JAKKS Pacific: https://jointheleague.dccomics.com/post/justice-league-jakks-collectibles-first-look-reveal
eLBmRIS.jpg

YfcSTP4.gif

7zu1Pke.gif

gCWlmS3.gif

Gj5LTCB.gif

Eh0z8mw.gif

DkUeukY.gif

Odoul

They're mostly platitudes that have lost all meaning thus they've become annoying.

Seriously. I'm tired of Johns and WB pushing "hope", "fun", and "optimism"; that shit needs to stay away from the Batman film.

It's ironic because it all comes across so fucking cynical.

So nakedly pandering and reactionary.

And gives off the air that they're STILL not just leaving the filmmakers alone.

fwiw, as much as it's joked about, I believe the intent behind it all is marketing. There was a very shallow and superficial criticism around BvS and they're responding in kind. I mean, nobody behind the scenes is telling them to tighten up the optimism on level 3.

But who knows. While I'm unclear about Berg's role, Geoff Johns isn't new to the process of creators doing their thing under the larger DC framework. And ideally you hire creators like Patty Jenkins and Matt Reeves and let them work.

Ross61

No studio gives a director 150M+ and "leaves them alone", WB especially has too many bombs with those price tags to not get everything right. The people want "Hope" "Optimism" and "Fun". Give it to them.

Odoul

fwiw, as much as it's joked about, I believe the intent behind it all is marketing. There was a very shallow and superficial criticism around BvS and they're responding in kind. I mean, nobody behind the scenes is telling them to tighten up the optimism on level 3.

But who knows. While I'm unclear about Berg's role, Geoff Johns isn't new to the process of creators doing their thing under the larger DC framework. And ideally you hire creators like Patty Jenkins and Matt Reeves and let them work.

And the thing is. Just like the dark and grim stuff got thrown around (WTF was grim about Suicide Squad?) All the optimism and hope for WW is REALLY overblown.

I didn't find Wonder Woman THAT different from Man of Steel. The banter on the boat and jokes about being scared/aroused.

They even ended on the exact same bigger things are to come note.

I guess Etta? So if Snyder had just put a bumbling mousy Jimmy Olsen in his flicks he could have bought himself some cover.

jackdoe

And the thing is. Just like the dark and grim stuff got thrown around (WTF was grim about Suicide Squad?) All the optimism and hope for WW is REALLY overblown.

I didn't find Wonder Woman THAT different from Man of Steel. The banter on the boat and jokes about being scared/aroused.

I guess Etta? So if Snyder had just put a bumbling mousy Jimmy Olsen in his flicks he could have bought himself some cover.
To be fair, Wonder Woman didn't
execute Ares with a chokehold
which is definitely one of the reasons why people felt lighter coming out of Wonder Woman than Man of Steel (not that I think that Man of Steel is particularly dark either). Then you have that tonal whiplash that occurs in Man of Steel that brings more attention to the dark stuff in the movie.

BadAss2961

Wonder Woman is actually just as grim as Man of Steel at times, definitely more violent at least. Doesn't hold back much for PG-13 war. Plenty of deaths, wounded, some sick Doctor Poison experiments, and Wonder Woman herself is beastly.

But Pine and the 'fish out of water' concept gave the movie some lighter notes that Man of Steel didn't have. The love story in Wonder Woman is also pretty legit. It all adds up to something more feel good.

Did you think they weren't going to be reactionary after their major, universe starting movie got fucked in the mouth by critics and audiences (yes it made money, but way less than anyone expected). When the biggest stated problems with your movies are the tone and ways certain characters act, then they're gonna course correct.

And they're going to shout that course correction from the mountaintops.

Hearing various impressions about War for the Planet of the Apes, with the common theme of it being mean and bleak and heavy and amazing for it.

If anybody at Warners try this fun woo woo stuff, Affleck needs to play attack dog for Reeves.

Seriously. I'm tired of Johns and WB pushing "hope", "fun", and "optimism"; that shit needs to stay away from the Batman film.

bless the fuck up.

Matt Reeves is smart enough to put in great work without that damn Geoff Johns butting in with his favorite new buzzwords of the year.

where are you hearing these Apes impressions? I think it could be the best franchise movie of the year tbh (yeah over Star Wars too).

though tbh I think "hope" is fine in Batman. it worked great for the nolan batman movies, the man should be hopeful and optimistic about a better gotham. or else it will be nihilistic "fuck this shit, my family used to be hunters fuck this earth" bruce from BvS all over again. which would be a regression from what that ending promised.

shingi70

Banned
bless the fuck up.

Matt Reeves is smart enough to put in great work without that damn Geoff Johns butting in with his favorite new buzzwords of the year.

where are you hearing these Apes impressions? I think it could be the best franchise movie of the year tbh (yeah over Star Wars too).

though tbh I think "hope" is fine in Batman. it worked great for the nolan batman movies, the man should be hopeful and optimistic about a better gotham. or else it will be nihilistic "fuck this shit, my family used to be hunters fuck this earth" bruce from BvS all over again. which would be a regression from what that ending promised.

Batman done at his best is a story of hope optimism. Not for Bruce himself, but for those around him like Dick, and the rest of the batfamily.

I feel a new divide brewing in the midst of the DCEU fandom..the ones who like the "darker", more serious movies and the ones who prefer the "lighter" ones.

It's gonna be interesting indeed

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Batman done at his best is a story of hope optimism. Not for Bruce himself, but for those around him like Dick, and the rest of the batfamily.

Brooding, asshole Batman is the one most people seem to think is definitive. Hope and optimism doesn't mean sunshine and rainbows though.

I don't mind either approach. I think wonder woman did classic heroics pretty well tbh

But in Batmans case. Reeves has it in him to make a top 10 comic movie for sure and if his idea for the movie is in any way incongruent with Geoff Johns' I hope it's fine and they still go ahead with it anyways

Hope is inherent with Batman though usually as an ideal no doubt. Like even the Frank Miller Batman was just trying to save his city from the great mess it was.

Also it would be nice to have this Bruce Wayne be more of a philanthropist for Gotham. I hope they show stuff like that.

Raptor

I feel a new divide brewing in the midst of the DCEU fandom..the ones who like the "darker", more serious movies and the ones who prefer the "lighter" ones.

There is lighter and then there is lighter, I prefer the "Spiderman 2" type of lighter if we are getting lighter movies, but ifyou ask me I want pure ol Watchmen type of darkness and stuff.

I personally like both approaches as well, as long as we don't regress back to the Schumacher's "Neon Lights" era, it's all fine by me.

Actually Suicide Squad's marketing and later trailers reminded me a bit of it with all those pinks and greens and edgy fonts going around

It's already been brewed. Some fans think Geoff/Jon are the boogeymen coming to take their movies away, and others liking what they're selling.

And then there are the people who don't give a fuck.

Maddocks

He probably leaked that version, so when Batgirl released everyone will go...thank god it wasn't as bad as his wonder woman script. Clever Joss, clever.

Odoul

Either way is fine, as long as it comes naturally from the story.

I was enjoying DC's fantastical scif/mythical beings dropped into basically "the real world" for the most part.

I enjoy Marvel's hyper cartoon/comic world thrown on the big screen for the most part too.

I'm just wary of one being a shitty facsimile of the other.

But I'm not selfish enough to think everything has to be for me. People seem to love Donner Superman. Personally I find the slightly paternalistic cocky deity version of Supes off-putting.

When it gets to the point where I'm not interested anymore I won't bitch too much. I'll just stop watching.

He probably leaked that version, so when Batgirl released everyone will go...thank god it wasn't as bad as his wonder woman script. Clever Joss, clever.

I think that script was floating around for a long while. I remember reading parts of it and the old Batman vs. Superman version (the Goldsman/Walker version).

All in all, I believe it's about creating an environment that allows for authenticity, be it dark or light or whatever vision the creators want to make. That's the common thread across The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, Logan, The Incredibles, Wonder Woman, and the highly regarded superhero movies. And Suicide Squad, for me, is the best-worst example of how inauthentic it could get.

LionPride

Banned
Saw Wonder Woman again

Still a strong 7/10

In the beginning Gal Gadot's acting is suspect at best, Robin Wright is still the highlight of the beginning. Still not a fan of Charlie. I like Sami. The third act is still rough. The No Man's Land scene is still nice.

Ninjimbo

>joss jumps ship to DC
>immediately attacked

Really makes you think

jk
Personally, I've never understood the immense love for Whedon. I liked Buffy and Angel well enough but the guy has had his fair share of duds like Alien Resurrection. I like Ultron more than most people on GAF but even that is a considerably weaker effort than the best the genre can offer.

It's been interesting seeing his decline over the past couple of years. Not that the guy is a "hack" or anything close to that, but it seems that most people are coming around to the fact that Whedon praise was overstated.

I remember when the first Avengers came out, some critics claimed that it was the first superhero movie to feature Oscar level dialogue. Lol...ooh lord. Those were the days.

strafer

Personally, I've never understood the immense love for Whedon. I liked Buffy and Angel well enough but the guy has had his fair share of duds like Alien Resurrection. I like Ultron more than most people on GAF but even that is a considerably weaker effort than the best the genre can offer.

It's been interesting his decline over the past couple of years. Not that the guy is a "hack" or anything close to that, but it seems that most people are coming around to the fact that Whedon praise was overstated.

I remember when the first Avengers came out, some critics claimed that it was the first superhero movie to feature Oscar level dialogue. Lol...ooh lord. Those were the days.

lamo :D

J_Viper

It's been interesting seeing his decline over the past couple of years. Not that the guy is a "hack" or anything close to that, but it seems that most people are coming around to the fact that Whedon praise was overstated.

Oscar level dialogue is definitely a stretch lol, but I do think the first Avengers is one of the tightest comic flick scripts, where every character is given their own voice and stand out sequences.

The fact that he pulled it off as well as he did is something he deserves major props for, because under anyone else that movie could have been a train wreck

I mean, for gods sake, they were about to roll with a Zak Penn script!

And as someone who recently watched Alien Resurrection, I do believe other factors outside the script are responsible that entertaining mess of a movie.

Age of Ultron was an inside job.
Lol

Ultron did suffer from a a ton of studio interference though, right? Not to say Whedon is without fault on that one.

Are we really gonna act like this board wasn't down on Whedon for Age of Ultron? c'mon

Eh. It wasn't overrated​ by Gaf like Ant-Man was, nor was it rightfully chastised. It's whatever now though. I just think it's funny that it took Whedon switching sides to make fanboys rethink their critque of AoU and now blast him for it.. Also enjoying the new narrative that he's a sexist pig that hates women. I know it's not everyone, but that loud minority of extreme fans are really insufferable.

Top Bottom